Options

Chrono [Chat]ter!

21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short![They/Them]Registered User regular
edited October 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
3gwl4nvayypy.png
Chrono Trigger: Brink of Time. original Pixel Art by me

Chrono Trigger (Or, more correctly, Kurono Torigā) is a 1995 Super Nintendo Entertainment System Japanese-style Role Playing Game (Or SNES JRPG for you SFJs).

Featuring a richly layered plot, time travel and an innovative battle system, it is considered by many to be an absolute classic.

Discuss.

21stCentury on

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    I have never played Chrono Trigger

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    @DasUberEdward‌

wait rly?

1200 under invoice?

*checks plane prices to ohio*

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

you would not like it, so I don't blame you.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    @Deebaser‌ I warned you

To win, you must burn every bridge

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options

this was a mature response

good work

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Getting towards the end of my second playthrough of Alien Isolation. The game's soundtrack is very understated, most of the time you barely notice it. But there's this one sequence, when the score goes cray - it's like something out of Aliens. And I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEXMFRkdjrE
    The sequence in question is where you gotta traverse one extremely narrow corridor between 2 rooms about 4 times, heading back and forth to restart a generator after the power fails. The alien does not let up during this, and it's an extremely stressful sequence. The music kicks in when you get the power back online and have to get the fuck out.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    @Pony sorry if I/we came across overbearingly, but I am glad you took another look at things.

Unity is pretty good.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i am glad i played chrono trigger (and i wish i had explored it a bit more) but i don't want to play it again

also, mazzyx, i was talking about the director's cut version.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    The CDC has released information about eating wildlife from African jungles. While this is a good message, the actual messaging was quite poor. They should have gone with a social media campaign.

#Nobushmeatober

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i am glad i played chrono trigger (and i wish i had explored it a bit more) but i don't want to play it again

also, mazzyx, i was talking about the director's cut version.

you know, even compared to its contemporaries, gameplay-wise it wasn't that great...

But it comes together really well, IMO.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

good work

It is probably the very best JRPG ever made on any platform. Nostalgia doesn't prop this game up. It has some of the nicer visuals ever for a sprite/16bit era game, a well written soundtrack, and a good cast of characters who are all interesting and strong in their own ways.

But it hews so very close to the formula that is the JRPG that if you do not like those kinds of games, you might end up hating it.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    @Deebaser‌ I warned you

To win, you must burn every bridge

Ck2?

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    @Pony sorry if I/we came across overbearingly, but I am glad you took another look at things.

Unity is pretty good.

you guys meant well and i know that

it was just a combination of your enthusiasm and my sensitivity and insecurity about this stuff

it didn't go well

• Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    I generally hate JRPGs.

Because they don't feature choices really, except like waht sword do i

But damn chrono trigger. It just had a magic to it. The time travel was amazong too. Time travel is always amazong.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    For once, I'm kinda glad I didn't make the thread.

I had nothing planned.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I like JRPGs right up until they almost all inevitably decide I have to do 20 odd hours of grinding regular encounters to finish the last portion of the game.

Quid on
  • Options
    Greeper wrote: »
    I generally hate JRPGs.

But damn chrono trigger. It just had a magic to it. The time travel was amazong too. Time travel is always amazong.

It was kind of cool going back in time and doing a thing, then going forward in time and oh shit stuff is different

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

good work

It is probably the very best JRPG ever made on any platform. Nostalgia doesn't prop this game up. It has some of the nicer visuals ever for a sprite/16bit era game, a well written soundtrack, and a good cast of characters who are all interesting and strong in their own ways.

But it hews so very close to the formula that is the JRPG that if you do not like those kinds of games, you might end up hating it.

I disagree with you there...

FF6 is better IMO. I wouldn't say FF6 is the best, but it's definitely better than CT in my humble opinion.

It's still a fantastic, fantastic game I would qualify as a must-play for fans of the genre... but the best of it all? Not really.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I wish Star Ocean would of come out here

Its a absurdly impressive snes game, I think it would of been well received other then how expensive it would of been

• Options
    Maybe I could talk about how cool Yosemite isn't.

I don't like the font.

My iMac didn't qualify for Handoff.

It is butts.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    I like JRPGs right up until they almost all inevitably decide I have to do 20 odd hours of grinding regular encounters to finish the last portion of the game.

That is not a problem I often have in JRPGs...

• Options

good work

I disagree with you there...

FF6 is better IMO. I wouldn't say FF6 is the best, but it's definitely better than CT in my humble opinion.

It's still a fantastic, fantastic game I would qualify as a must-play for fans of the genre... but the best of it all? Not really.

Final Fantasy 6 was the best Final Fantasy. Hands down.

And I would not begrudge anyone for picking it over CT - both games came out very close to each other with a lot of the same talent behind the scenes.

Chrono Trigger's more layered plot and time-based stuff, along with the ability to avoid or take every encounter as you go (seriously fuck random battles) pushed it over the edge for me.

But both games are spectacular.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Greeper wrote: »
    I generally hate JRPGs.

I generally dislike Western RPGs because they basically offer choices I don't want to take.

They tell a story poorly that I don't care about and force me to pretend I do and largely only give the illusion of choice.

And I have to run around talking to people I hate.

redx on
  • Options
    The only JRPG I think I ever played was Final Fantasy Adventure for the original Game Boy.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Not a JRPG but after Dark Souls 2 was hyped up to me I spent $30 on it and was disappointed. A weird leveling system that has to do with your weapon and if you take the wrong path you pretty much have to start over again.

• Options
    Goddamnit.

What are we?

Mature, adult human beings or nerds?

We need to pump up the vitriol when discussing games! :razz:

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Here is what I think about JRPGs:

- they are not RPGs in any real sense. You aren't making choices that impact the story and your character is almost never, in any way, a mechanism for you to impact the world or even for self-expression through aesthetics. They are called RPGs because the earliest ones mimicked D&D dungeon crawls, which were the only parts of D&D that computers of 30 years ago could do justice to.

- The combat also tends to be weirdly, bizarrely abstracted from the fiction. I've mentioned this before in chat, but it's so common in JRPGs to be - for instance - trying to escape the evil empire's cyber-police station and you're running around in a map that looks like a cyber-police station and there are imperial cyber-police going "stop, you kids!" but then the screen goes BLORP BLORP and suddenly you're in a battle against three flowerpots with panther's heads coming out of them, and a butterfly that casts APOCALYPSOR or something that looks like a meteor hitting the earth and does 9999 damage. And then the fight ends and you're back in the cyber-police station and nobody ever remarks on what happened in that battle. Was it real? Was it a drug trip? Are PantherPots and DeadFlyX39s so common as to be beneath even mentioning?

- But all this is potentially okay IF:

- the non-interactive story that I am sitting still for is entertaining and fun (I'm not going to turn up my nose at a good story just because it's only a good story, I'm not a fucking goon)

- the gameplay is interesting on its own terms and presents me with an interesting set of tactical choices or challenges.

Unfortunately, I just feel like too often, one or neither of those ends up being true. A lot of the stories either feel like earnestly-felt but badly-done nonsense ("we have to believe in the planet!") or just outright cynical manipulation of the audience's prurient interests ("Kiwi-chan, we can only get out of this if you dress up like a stripper now!"). And the trend with gameplay seems to be to mistake opacity for depth: rather than giving me an array of interesting options that I have to weigh, I feel like so many JRPGs I have played give me a series of featureless black boxes whose purpose is only apparent if I have shelled out $40 for the Prima guide.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Super Mario RPG has to be one of the best JRPGs ever.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    USB Music Player: PS4 owners can play their own music in the background while playing a game using USB Music Player*. After inserting a USB stick loaded with music into the PS4, a new option for USB Music Player will appear. Supported filename extensions include MP3, MP4, M4A, and 3GP.

Add To Library: The monthly free PlayStation Plus games will have an ‘Add to Library’ button in the PlayStation Store. This button will add a game to a PS4 owner’s library without downloading it – saving space on their hard drive.

Content Area and Library: PS4’s Content Area, which shows the latest games and apps a PS4 owner has used, has been redesigned to help make it easier to quickly find and access content. It now shows 15 of a player’s most used apps or games, and additional items will be added to a player’s Library. The Library on PS4 has improved filter and sort functions to help organize contented by type (game / app / TV & video), name (a – z or z – a), recently used, or install date.

yay finally.

now give me all that sweet media player support the xbone just got

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »

I don't like the font.

It is butts.

Handoff is weird. I have two computers - one can handoff and one cannot.

I know that the other one COULD handoff if they used an older bluetooth profile, but it would be mean to the battery on both the mac and the iPhone to do that so they decided against it.

The font will fade into the background after a few weeks, just like people who thought iOS 7 looked awful don't talk about that any more. It's change. Change can be rough.

Thankfully, the changes Apple did are not things that completely break how you use your computer or make it feel alien and unfamiliar after install (coughcoughwindows8).

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Generally good western RPGs make me feel like:

"This is me. I was born in space and am an awesome space commander. Or I was born in candlekeep to a God. This is still Greeper though. I'm this person going and doing these things."

JRPGs make me go:

"Okay, this is someone else. What's he doing? How can I help? This is someone else. Look at the choices this other person's making. Oh, ok, strange alien god. Let's go kill it."

• Options

I don't like the font.

It is butts.

I know that the other one COULD handoff if they used an older bluetooth profile, but it would be mean to the battery on both the mac and the iPhone to do that so they decided against it.

The font will fade into the background after a few weeks, just like people who thought iOS 7 looked awful don't talk about that any more. It's change. Change can be rough.

Thankfully, the changes Apple did are not things that completely break how you use your computer or make it feel alien and unfamiliar after install (coughcoughwindows8).

I still wish Safari was more comfortable to use than Chrome. It seems that given the closed-system aspects of Apple's mission, their flagship browser would be a lot more friendly than it is.

but, nope. it aint.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    That said, despite the number of JRPGs I've actually finished being countable on one hand, if there was ever a new Skies of Arcadia I would throw so much money at it.

All the fucking money.

• Options

I don't like the font.

It is butts.

I still wish Safari was more comfortable to use than Chrome. It seems that given the closed-system aspects of Apple's mission, their flagship browser would be a lot more friendly than it is.

but, nope. it aint.

What aspects are giving you friction? There are a lot of settings and things you can do to make it play the way you like.

After all, Chrome and Safari on the desktop are p much the exact same browser with a different frontend and cloud service.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    I once played a free RPGMaker game called 'The Way' that had the choices of a crpg and the gonzo plot and combat of a jrpg.

to this day I can't decide what the hell was up with it.

but it was pretty cool in a weird way.

• Options

I don't like the font.

It is butts.

but, nope. it aint.

What aspects are giving you friction? There are a lot of settings and things you can do to make it play the way you like.

After all, Chrome and Safari on the desktop are p much the exact same browser with a different frontend and cloud service.

Safari never seems to fill my screen with content unless I use zoom on every page, which is annoying. And the trackpad reads too accurately, shuddering the page unless my scrolling has basically swiss precision.

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Here is what I think about JRPGs:

- they are not RPGs in any real sense. You aren't making choices that impact the story and your character is almost never, in any way, a mechanism for you to impact the world or even for self-expression through aesthetics. They are called RPGs because the earliest ones mimicked D&D dungeon crawls, which were the only parts of D&D that computers of 30 years ago could do justice to.

They frequently offer a fairly high degree of character skill customization which can be more meaningful in terms of core gameplay(combat) than their western counterparts.

The character customization and developing are fairly akin to... Certain modes of tabletop gaming.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Not a JRPG but after Dark Souls 2 was hyped up to me I spent $30 on it and was disappointed. A weird leveling system that has to do with your weapon and if you take the wrong path you pretty much have to start over again.

i... are you actually talking about dark souls 2?

your levels don't have anything to do with your weapon, and there's no reason you'd have to start over again (there are even respec items throughout the game)

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I sure with I could check out Yosemite. But my laptop has die. I brought home my Lenovo T420 from work so I have something to use. It's the worst machine this side of anything Toshiba makes. Good lord where did all the weight and thickness come from? Every other laptop has the exact same components and weights half as much.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Super Mario RPG has to be one of the best JRPGs ever.

Have you played the dark cloud games?

This discussion has been closed.