Options

The [superhero] thread is an unstoppable force

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    there is no greater cop dad than Keith Mars

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I keep wanting to read Afterlife, but I'm also worried cause I'm a giant wuss as people talk about all these gut punch moments.

If I can barely handle We3 , should I even go near Afterlife?

I definitely think part of my own response is that I'm more surprised at how mature the writing is for Archie. I haven't read the mainline comics in years, not since I was a lot younger, so seeing this comic tackle some more tender and emotional moments is really novel. But, the moments we're talking about are certainly earned and well-written. Give it a try!

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    there is no greater cop dad than Keith Mars

I was trying to explain to someone who had never seen Veronica Mars why Keith Mars is so awesome

But that clip of him kicking out the squatter at Wallace's house is not on Youtube

It's so perfect

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    I keep wanting to read Afterlife, but I'm also worried cause I'm a giant wuss as people talk about all these gut punch moments.

If I can barely handle We3 , should I even go near Afterlife?

I definitely think part of my own response is that I'm more surprised at how mature the writing is for Archie. I haven't read the mainline comics in years, not since I was a lot younger, so seeing this comic tackle some more tender and emotional moments is really novel. But, the moments we're talking about are certainly earned and well-written. Give it a try!

Just picked up the first 6 issues thanks to the Comixology sale. I thought it was alright for the most part, but I really enjoyed issue 6, which focuses on Sabrina.

• Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    And it is all the more impressive from the CW who probably has, I would guess, half the budget a show like Gotham or Agents of SHIELD would have

AoS had some really dire effects last season but it has gotten so much better. Absorbing Man looked fantastic

I think AoS still looks pretty crummy, not only in effects but in cinematography as well. The last episode with May vs. May was pretty much the only fight scene in the history of the show that I've felt was well made.

You'd think ABC being a huge network and all would spend the money to make it look good but pretty much everything about that show, with the possible exception of absorbing man, looks cheap cheap cheap. Its absurd how much better Arrow and Flash look.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I think Ward's first fight in the pilot and then the one where he takes out a squad in late season 1 looked just as good as this May fight

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Seriously, the only show I can think of with consistently better fight scenes right now is Arrow

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    the last couple eps have had some nice stylistic flourishes, that's really what the show is missing a lot of the time I feel. It's so bland visually, like the episodes are all shot by 1990s Kevin Smith.

But that awesome intro reintroducing us to Simmons as Hydra Agent had an incredible Alias vibe to it (and I mean that in a good way)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Whaaaaaaatt

SHIELD starts here on Friday, is it possible for people to put recent stuff in spoilers please, I'd appreciate it

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    reasonable request given this is a mixed superhero thread and not about a specific show

poo
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    also i like that now 3 of the 4 regular tv shows i watch are superhero shows

and the 4th is korra

whee

poo
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    There are totally avatar comic novels

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    If you want to make the argument that Avatar is basically a superhero show then well

Can't say i'm inclined to stop you

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular

and the 4th is korra

whee

Korra is basically a superhero show, and also great.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    About 6 months ago I bought the first volumes of Sex Criminals, Saga and Fatale on a whim thinking I might get into comic books. I owned a few trades but had no significant collection.

Now I have two bookshelves worth, one shelf is Marvel the other is Image mostly with a bit of DC, Vertigo, Dark Horse, Oni Press and IDW. I am really happy I got into them, while its been kind of expensive some of my favorite stories and characters I've ever read or seen have come from these new books. Plus, it's given me another connection with my Dad who read comics when he was young (and still does sometimes, he really likes The Walking Dead and Y: The Last Man). Now I've started to try to get him to read the stuff I love.

It's also made me appreciate the Marvel movies and Agents of SHIELD even more.

I know how you feel.

I went from having very few comics (basically videogame licensed tie-ins and some Transformers comics) to having six full shelves of trades in the span of two years. To the point where I'm having to look at rearranging my room to make space for more comics.
    I literally have no room for all my comic trades. Most are in storage containers under my table, with the most recent ones on top of them. I do have two large bookshelves, but they're mostly being used for action figures and other stuff.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Guek wrote: »
    And it is all the more impressive from the CW who probably has, I would guess, half the budget a show like Gotham or Agents of SHIELD would have

AoS had some really dire effects last season but it has gotten so much better. Absorbing Man looked fantastic

I think AoS still looks pretty crummy, not only in effects but in cinematography as well. The last episode with May vs. May was pretty much the only fight scene in the history of the show that I've felt was well made.

You'd think ABC being a huge network and all would spend the money to make it look good but pretty much everything about that show, with the possible exception of absorbing man, looks cheap cheap cheap. Its absurd how much better Arrow and Flash look.

Yeah, my big problem with AoS (other than not caring about any of the characters) is that the show looks like every other procedural on television

Outside of the last episode (which was directed by the guy who did the Undisputed direct-to-DVD sequels I think?) it feels like it is directed by wholly unambitious folks who just want to make the material comprehensible and nothing else

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Last episode was actually directed by the guy who did Mortal Kombat: Legacy (and who is also the brother of one of the showrunners).

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    So there's this new site Longbox.me which is basically setting up to be a social network for comic book readers

you can set up your pull list and follow other people to see what your friends are reading all stuff like that

I think it's a neat idea, but it's definitely still very much in beta

I joined. I'll forget about it by tomorrow

But it seems like a good site; the profile section says "Gender (if you subscribe to that sort of thing)" with choices of Male, Female, and Elsewhere in the Spectrum, so it's nice to see they're accepting

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

Yeah, my big problem with AoS (other than not caring about any of the characters) is that the show looks like every other procedural on television

Outside of the last episode (which was directed by the guy who did the Undisputed direct-to-DVD sequels I think?) it feels like it is directed by wholly unambitious folks who just want to make the material comprehensible and nothing else

They seem to have a problem with how realistic or fantastic they should make the powers. When they introduced bad guys with enhanced strength on Arrow, the fights were brutal and there was substance behind every hit. When AoS had super strong bad guys, the action is exaggerated but no one really gets hurt that bad.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

and the 4th is korra

whee

dude, you should be watching Sleepy Hollow

• Options
    So I'm rewatching Thor 2 and I was always confused over Frigga's scene in Loki's cell. Earlier in the film, Odin says he'll never see her again. When I first watched the film, I thought she was just a sort of holographic projection of the real Frigga. I'm wondering though, considering the effect used is similar to Loki's other enchantments, if she's literally just an artificial construct made by Loki while he talks to himself.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So I'm rewatching Thor 2 and I was always confused over Frigga's scene in Loki's cell. Earlier in the film, Odin says he'll never see her again. When I first watched the film, I thought she was just a sort of holographic projection of the real Frigga. I'm wondering though, considering the effect used is similar to Loki's other enchantments, if she's literally just an artificial construct made by Loki while he talks to himself.

There's a deleted scene where it's made clear that A. Loki got his hologram abilties from Frigga and B. It was Frigga visiting Loki.

• Options
    Screencrush is reporting that Tom Hardy is being sought to play Apocalypse

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I think it is less he is being sought out and more he's who Bryan Singer wants, as he said in an interview recently

Since he's apparently also being courted for Suicide Squad it'll be interesting to see if Fox and WB start butting heads

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'd make a joke about how I ghosted you by a few days, GG, but given how little discussion came from it, I don't blame you for missing it.

• Options
    You ghosted so well that nobody even knew you ghosted
    It's the Ultimate Ghost

• Options

There's a deleted scene where it's made clear that A. Loki got his hologram abilties from Frigga and B. It was Frigga visiting Loki.

Ah ok, thanks.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Oh, God, Tom Hardy as Apocalypse?

I can't help myself.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    http://variety.com/2014/film/news/marvels-alonso-calls-for-more-women-in-vfx-and-female-superhero-pic-1201333443/
    Marvel’s exec producer and exec VP of visual effects & post-production, Victoria Alonso, called for vfx pros to hire more women — not just for gender equity, but because it will improve the work.

In her keynote conversation at the Visual Effects Society Production Summit in Hollywood on Saturday, Alonso diverged from talk of Marvel’s story process to thank the group for inviting a woman in to speak, but raised her voice to ask, “Where are the girls?!”

“You’ve got to get the girls in here, boys. It’s better when it’s 50-50,” she continued. “I have been with you beautiful, handsome, talented, creative men in dark rooms for two decades and I can tell you those rooms are better when there are a few of us in them. So as you take this with you, please remember that it’s OK to allow the ladies in. They’re smart, they’re talented. They bring a balance that you need.”

Marvel has put Alonso in a position of authority, but has not yet announced a film centered around a female superhero. Variety asked Alonso in an offstage conversation when Marvel will do so. “If it were up to me, it would be today,” she said. Alonso then took a long pause to consider what to say next, finally smiling and declining to say more.

• Options
    if people are signing up on Longbox, we should follow each other

I think you should be able to follow me if you go to https://longbox.me/user/centipededamascus

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Wait, they went Tom Hardy for Suicide Squad?

They want him for another DC role? But not in the same universe as the Dark Knight trilogy

Weird

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Oh, God, Tom Hardy as Apocalypse?

I can't help myself.

Now I want to hear a Bane-version of Apocalypse's little 'rocks of eternity' speech.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options

They want him for another DC role? But not in the same universe as the Dark Knight trilogy

Weird
    I mean

It's a different universe, Bane doesn't matter anymore and he had most of his face covered for like 95% of that movie

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Weird

Well he'd be Bane. There's no doubt about that.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Finally got around to seeing Days of Future Past

Goodness, that was a quality film motion picture movie

The costumes were all just as ridiculous as all those magazine covers, but I didn't end up caring at all really

Fantastic performances from everyone involved, and the story was just really really good too

This being said,
    Quicksilver stole the entire movie, and he wasn't even in a lot of it

I could not stop smiling through the entire Time in a Bottle scene, rewatched it twice before proceeding, then after the movie watched it again 3 more times

What a fantastic thing they did with a character who has never appeared in a role I've remotely liked before now

And what a really amazing scene too. I'm sure its been done before in a movie, but the combination of the music and Quicksilver's kinda laid back, "I'm enjoying this so much" attitude just really really sold it spectacularly well.

If I had to make a complaint, it was that Magneto just ended up doing the same thing he's done in all the previous movies. But even this ended up being pretty OK because he was more of a vessel for Mystique's character progression, which more than made up for his almost total lack of any forward character motion. Mystique was really fantastic. Loved her entire arc.

I don't know if I've seen a movie at all this year I liked more than this one, even compared against the likes of Godzilla and Guardians.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Hardy would be an excellent Deadshot

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular

The costumes were all just as ridiculous as all those magazine covers, but I didn't end up caring at all really

Fantastic performances from everyone involved, and the story was just really really good too

This being said,

I could not stop smiling through the entire Time in a Bottle scene, rewatched it twice before proceeding, then after the movie watched it again 3 more times

What a fantastic thing they did with a character who has never appeared in a role I've remotely liked before now

And what a really amazing scene too. I'm sure its been done before in a movie, but the combination of the music and Quicksilver's kinda laid back, "I'm enjoying this so much" attitude just really really sold it spectacularly well.

If I had to make a complaint, it was that Magneto just ended up doing the same thing he's done in all the previous movies. But even this ended up being pretty OK because he was more of a vessel for Mystique's character progression, which more than made up for his almost total lack of any forward character motion. Mystique was really fantastic. Loved her entire arc.

I don't know if I've seen a movie at all this year I liked more than this one, even compared against the likes of Godzilla and Guardians.

This year was really good for comic movies.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »

This being said,

It really was, for the most part

Snowpiercer, Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Days of Future Past, (probably) Big Hero Six were all fantastic

Out of the superhero ones only ASM 2 was a dud

although TMNT, Sin City and 300 are also technically comic book movies but hey it's still above a 50% quality ratio!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I hope we see more (DoFP spoilers, some Marvel movies ones too)
    Quicksilver in future movies

And I really hope he doesn't devolve into the kind of morose, broody and/or sarcastic, prickish character I've almost exclusively seen him as prior to this in comics

Marvel is going to have a really hard time making me like their version of the character more. That is not a sentence I would have predicted myself saying before now.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

This being said,

It really was, for the most part

Snowpiercer, Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Days of Future Past, (probably) Big Hero Six were all fantastic

Out of the superhero ones only ASM 2 was a dud

although TMNT, Sin City and 300 are also technically comic book movies but hey it's still above a 50% quality ratio!

Nothing in TMNT is based on any of the comics in a meaningful way so I think we can write that one off.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
This discussion has been closed.