Options

Dragon Age Thread - Where is your maker now?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I was joking about Duke whathisname anyway.

But you Behlen lovers are still crazy

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Spoit wrote: »
    Change for change's sake is not always the best option. Sometimes when you break eggs you don't get an omlette, just more broken eggs.
    Wait are we talking about the story or games in general? I find it very appropriate that you, of all people, would support Harrowmont. :P

Spoit is a dedicated Amalathian.

Then again, so was Eisenhorn. Once.

Give it time.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    who?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    It's been awhile since I last beat DAO, but I'm pretty sure Behlen leads the dwarves to a new golden age.

• Options
    Yeah, sure. Next thing you know you'll be saying that cerberus had some good points

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I was wrong, Citadel isn't the best content Bioware has ever made. It's a close second behind The Long Road with Isabela in the party.

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Yeah, sure. Next thing you know you'll be saying that cerberus had some good points

Behlen forced change in the form of slowly removing the rather stupid caste system (your ancestor kicked ass and chewed bubblegum, so you're entitled to sit around doing whatever you want and brag about how awesome your family used to be while you live a wealthy life, while the casteless dwarves who struggle to survive every day work harder than you? please), and was basically the complete opposite of Harrowmont, who would pretty much turn into a do-nothing king that many dwarves were only happy with when he kicked the bucket, and rumors were he was poisoned.

Sorry, Behlen might be an ass, but progress doesn't require you to be a nice guy.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Bhelen is a royal (heh) asshole and were there anyone else slightly less of an asshole with the same progressive viewpoint, I would have dropped Bhelen in a flash

Unfortunately it's a binary choice and the other option would mean a slow death for dwarven civilisatioin, so
    Besides, characters like Bhelen get overthrown one way or another

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Do we have a more official source for the Keep release than the twitter account linked?

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Ugh. Awakening.

Got ambushed by the Architect in the silverite mines. He stole all my stuff. I got all of it back except for my Warden's equipment. Apparently it's bugged and my stuff is just gone. I have no earlier saves.

How do they not fix something like this? I mean, I don't even wanna finish the game now.

RT800 on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Hmmm. I guess the Warden doppelganger did not spawn. Did you go through the whole thing?
    Did you fight the dragons?

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I fought 'em.

It's so freakin' insidious because I saved. I saved frequently just in case of bugs.

But then you don't realize the nature of the bug until you get to the end of the goddamn dungeon and realize that your stuff's not there.

Who the hell thought it'd be fun to make players chase down their own equipment all over again in the first place?

RT800 on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    You could use the toolset to get it back, couldn't you?

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Well, there is a certain thrill to getting your stuff back. I felt like I ran through a gauntlet after doing those fights.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    As a two-handed warrior in Awakening who learnt Massacre I figured I was actually a deadly force even without a sword, vaporizing my enemies just by being around them

Which is awesome, but had the unfortunate side effect of turning most of the encounters into somewhat of a joke

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Due to my first playthrough being a casteless dwarf, I will always have a soft spot for Bhelen. Hell, when I later played a Dwarf Noble, I never even suspected he would try to betray me, I was convinced my elder brother was trying to off me.

• Options
    BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    Harrowmont is poison for the Dwarves. Putting him on the throne is ruinous.

Bhelen is certainly flawed, but he's the lesser of the two evils. With him, the caste system will start to fall apart, and trade with the surface will make life easier for everyone. Harrowmont wants to double down on the worst parts of Dwarven society.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I still find it a difficult decision because Bhelen is SUCH a shitlord.

And the only way you know that Bhelen is going to be the better ruler is by metagaming, if you visit the dwarves as anything other than Dwarf commoner.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Fuck the dwarves for making it necessary for someone as vile as Bhelen to create real change.

You know you fucked up when someone like him comes along and manages to somehow make himself look like the lesser of two evils when the other guy is a sweet old man.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Well, maybe not all that sweet since there's a very real possibility he poisoned the king.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Fuck the dwarves for having to make it necessary for someone as vile as Bhelen to create real change.

You know you fucked up when someone like him comes along and manages to somehow make himself look like the lesser of two evils when the other guy is a sweet old man.

To be fair, if you were going to write a travel guide for Thedas, it's title would probably be "Thedas: This Place Is Fucked Up." Bioware set out to create a dark fantasy world, and they succeeded. I can't think of anything in that place that is a shining light of good. Even their heroic ancient order, The Grey Wardens, is for all intents and purposes a death cult who conscripts its members in a join or die ceremony.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Well, maybe not all that sweet since there's a very real possibility he poisoned the king.
    Should have known he had a skeleton in his closet.

Surprised I never found it.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Nah. The first time I played the game, I went straight Harrowmont because Bhelen was murdering people right and left and corrupting officials with bribes and lies and so on, while Harrowmont was just there being honorable.

Later, after people in this thread acting like Bhelen was the ONLY choice, I started investigating further to see if there was something, anything that made Harrowmont look evil. It's not there. Harrowmont is legitimately honorable. If you give him the crown, he doesn't even put a kill order on Bhelen, though Bhelen is an obvious threat (luckily for Harrowmont, Bhelen takes care of that himself by aggroing when you crown Harrowmont).

Dwarf Noble definitely didn't have any evidence of Harrowmont being a secrect poisoner. Even the 'secret' stuff that the noble story tells you (about Bhelen being a murderer), is actually discoverable by the other origin stories of you nose around the king's residence.

Dwarf commoner is the one origin story I don't think I got around to doing. Is there some secret evidence in that story?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Well, the thing is I look at Bhelen and its true. He's a shitty guy.

But I mean then you look at the rest of Orzammar and I'm like...he's a shitty guy from a shitty city. Like quite frankly the Dwarves were just terrible altogether so it didn't surprise me that they produced terrible leaders.

And I would say at first I though Harrowment was honorable but looking back on it, he just comes off as someone who didn't want to rock the boat. Also, I'm sure his honor only extents to citizens with the status to deserve it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    New gameplay video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26DQyT4ezTA

Edit: Oh, god. Bull's voice still just seems so bad to me. :-(

Bassguy on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Bassguy wrote: »
    Edit: Oh, god. Bull's voice still just seems so bad to me. :-(

Still not as bad as the extremely stereotypical common as muck "alrite guvnor! chipchip!" sera. Though she was somewhat tolerable in this video so maybe its just marketing picking out the worse bits before.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Really, I think Bull's voice is fine.

I think the problem is just that on average the Qunari we've been exposed to have had much gruffer voices. Bull's is actually pretty soft in comparison to say Sten or the Arishok.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I have no problem with any of those voices.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Freddy Prinze is the best Qunari and I will not hear otherwise.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Freddy Prinze is the best Qunari and I will not hear otherwise.
    Excuse me, Sir. I think you meant to say Arishok's voice actor.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    ...I always thought it was behlen who poisoned the king. I mean, he already showed that fatricide is a thing that he does

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ...I always thought it was behlen who poisoned the king. I mean, he already showed that fatricide is a thing that he does

Yeah that seems the most likely. He killed everyone else in his family, why not his dad too?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    My Iron Bull hype got pretty deflated once I heard his voice and how he was still loyal to the religious Qun nutters.

That and some of the qunari ingame have really human faces that don't match the rest of their heads/bodies and it's creeping me out.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    My Iron Bull hype got pretty deflated once I heard his voice and how he was still loyal to the religious Qun nutters.
    Word. I doubt I'll get along with Bull. That's not to say he won't be a good character, but we probably won't agree on many things.

• Options
    I think I've started to warm up to all of the characters. More of less.

Sera's "arrow in the face" comment got a chuckle out of me and I loved Cole from the livestream.

I would say Blackwall and Solas are probably the only two I'm not that sure about.

But honestly, they've gotten the least screentime out of all the characters.

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

Yeah that seems the most likely. He killed everyone else in his family, why not his dad too?

I thought I remembered there being something hinting at Harrowmont doing it, but, like I said, it's been awhile since I last played the game. I might just be thinking of some theory I read online or something.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Dorian looks to be my go to ultimate Dragon Age bromance.

Funny, not afraid to raise grandma from her grave as a meat shield, seen the worst in magic and still believes in freedom, fancy mustache, all around good guy. Exactly the kind of mage I would want to play.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea Dorian seems like he will certainly be in my party.

Sera's face still makes me mad every time I see it though.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I actually like how Sera looks.

Usually the young roguish female types like her are all baby-faced. She actually has a bit of a grimy quality to her that I would expect from someone who lives the way she does.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I like Sera so far but I worry some people won't get along with her as well as they think they might if shes anything like I imagine.

From the sound of things, she's very anti authority, violent and tired of being held down which could make her another Anders in the making.

Dr. Chaos on
This discussion has been closed.