As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread - Where is your maker now?

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    I was joking about Duke whathisname anyway.

But you Behlen lovers are still crazy

Yeah, I sure do love preserving super bigoted cultures by supporting a racist pile of nug turds.

Wait.

No I don't.

Vote Bhelen 2016

Bhelen 2016: yeah so what I murdered my whole family

His family were dicks, so whatever. Not like the Warden didn't kill a bunch of families.

Bhelen 2016: the ends always justify the means*

*when that means bhelen gets to be king

When one choice rejuvenates a dying race and the other leads to the extinction of a species that is paramount to defending every other species from demon dragons from hell, yeah, Imma go with the former.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

Yeah, I sure do love preserving super bigoted cultures by supporting a racist pile of nug turds.

Wait.

No I don't.

Vote Bhelen 2016

His family were dicks, so whatever. Not like the Warden didn't kill a bunch of families.

"I just can't wait to be king!"

Mancingtom on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

Wait.

No I don't.

Vote Bhelen 2016

When one choice rejuvenates a dying race and the other leads to the extinction of a species that is paramount to defending every other species from demon dragons from hell, yeah, Imma go with the former.

Except that you don't know that when you make the decision? Like, there's every indication that bhelen is a murderer and a douche, but I guess the paragraph in the epilogue seemed good so he must obviously be the better choice!

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options

Wait.

No I don't.

Vote Bhelen 2016

Except that you don't know that when you make the decision? Like, there's every indication that bhelen is a murderer and a douche, but I guess the paragraph in the epilogue seemed good so he must obviously be the better choice!

Unless you're playing dwarf commoner. Then it clear's shit up real fast.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

Wait.

No I don't.

Vote Bhelen 2016

Well the obvious counterpoint is dwarf noble, where bhelen is clearly a little shit

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Wait.

No I don't.

Vote Bhelen 2016

And here we are having the same argument about Bhelan/Harrowmont because people kind of forget that great leaders throughout human history have at times been horrible people.

The whole point of the choice is presenting a nice guy and a terrible guy and how the choice ends up being far more affecting than whether or not you'd have a beer with them. Renegade Shepard is just trying to get the job done, Bhelan is just a murderer. The difference is first-person versus third-person.

• Options

Wait.

No I don't.

Vote Bhelen 2016

Well the obvious counterpoint is dwarf noble, where bhelen is clearly a little shit

He outplayed you in a game you've been playing since you were born. He won the game of thrones by outmaneuvering you. I should stress, years of being a fan of the Chronicles of Amber have rather dulled me to any since of betrayal by kin for the throne.

So.

Cunning king or bigot king?

Cunning king any day.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    You don't even need to be a dwarf commoner to find out that Bhelen wants to make things better and Harrowmont wants to keep the status quo. It's just more obvious if that's your origin.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    It's hard to portray Harrowmont as the "good" guy when he supports the brutal caste system that literally brands poor people lest anyone accidentally employ or educate them.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    InkSplat wrote: »
    So, I'm curious. Are they just going to ignore the fact that Leliana can die during Origins, or did they actually create an alternate spymaster for the Inquisition?

Leliana's death in origins was already retconn'ed in DA2.

Their reasoning was something like "So few people killed her and we liked her so there."

This is why I am scratching my head as to why reavers are still a possible warrior spec.
    Personally I didn't kill anyone in Origins andd thought most deaths were dumb. But don't add them if you won't follow through.

On my first playthrough I completely missed the lothering tavern (and thus leliana). I also had morrigan in the party when I encountered wynne, and I guess I agree'd with morrigan a bit too much, and I had to kill wynne. I didn't even know she was a party option till much later

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    The worst retcon is Flemeth. Clearly dead. Dead dead dead. No magic healing powder. Annoying as shit. DEAD!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    The worst retcon is Flemeth. Clearly dead. Dead dead dead. No magic healing powder. Annoying as shit. DEAD!

That's a rather strong reaction to a character who is barely in the series for more than 20 minutes total, and doesn't do much more than save the lives of both player characters before vanishing into the background.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Deus ex Plot sucks. No matter who voices it.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    If anyone can survive being killed, it's Flemeth.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Flemeth wasn't even remotely a retcon, it was implied that she survived in DA:O let alone Witch Hunt and DA2 just defines a clear mechanism for her survival.

• Options
    sainsain Registered User regular
    Replaying DA:O in preparation for DA:I, I forget how cozy the campsite is. I loved chatting with my party, petting my dog, and getting excited about enchantment.

I did make the mistake of reading comments on a DA:I article that came up on my Facebook feed. I generally live under a rock when it comes to gaming culture/gossip and I didn't realize how bad the vitriol surrounding SJW strawmen had gotten. Now I'm half tempted to make my inquisitor a drag queen power bottom that exclusively has the gayest of sex in cheap roadside taverns.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I hope Inquisition has nicer environs.

Everything in Origins felt like it was made of mud and dampness. Fereldon sucks.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

RT800 wrote: »
    I hope Inquisition has nicer environs.

Everything in Origins felt like it was made of mud and dampness. Fereldon sucks.

Inquistion is actually one pretty looking game with a pretty great color palette.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Yeah. I have read the comments section for Inquistion by accident.

And apparently some people have it in their mind that since the game tries to cater to people who aren't the straight, white and male its the anti-Christ.

I mean that's weird to me...because you can still make your character as straight and white and as much of a dude as you want. Just that the games totally cool with you if you don't want to do that.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    sainsain Registered User regular

And apparently some people have it in their mind that since the game tries to cater to people who aren't the straight, white and male its the anti-Christ.

I mean that's weird to me...because you can still make your character as straight and white and as much of a dude as you want. Just that the games totally cool with you if you don't want to do that.

That tends to be the issue every time a minority group gets something though. People see it as a zero-sum game. Time spent on someone else somehow devalues their own importance or something. I dunno, it's dumb. I've filtered most gaming news from my feed for a good reason.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    They're just mad they can't bang the sassy elf chick.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    sain wrote: »

That tends to be the issue every time a minority group gets something though. People see it as a zero-sum game. Time spent on someone else somehow devalues their own importance or something. I dunno, it's dumb. I've filtered most gaming news from my feed for a good reason.

Part of the problem might be that they interpret acknowledgment of people other them as "a minority group getting something."

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Breaking news: "Fugitive" Tevinter magister Dorian rumored to draw moustache on with marker—

B0ZkaipCQAE_Sbx.png:large

"Scandalous," gasped a senior enchanter who wished to remain anonymous. "Never so betrayed in my life," one source reports hearing from the so-called 'Herald of Andraste.' Orlesians everywhere cry out, "is it blood magic?" but the Inquisition has thus far stonewalled all questions; "No comment," spokesperson and Ferelden Templar Cullen answered tersely while shoving this reporter aside. Developing...

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    It's entirely possible that DA:O lost me when I learned that my Dwarven Noble couldn't reclaim her throne. Harrowmont's epilogue doesn't even make any damn sense as I was made a paragon who forged ties with the world above. It's probably the worst origin besides forest elf, which I don't think I've heard anyone talk about.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    It's entirely possible that DA:O lost me when I learned that my Dwarven Noble couldn't reclaim her throne. Harrowmont's epilogue doesn't even make any damn sense as I was made a paragon who forged ties with the world above. It's probably the worst origin besides forest elf, which I don't think I've heard anyone talk about.

S'okay, paragons have more sway than kings anyway. (though yeah, that was a particularly bad set of ending slide combinations)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You know. I do think its funny that Cullen is basically buds with a Necromancer. Especially since he's still probably pro-Circle.

He has come a long way from Origins.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    About relationships in general. If characters throw themselves at you like Anders did in DA2 it would be nice if there was a "let down easy" option.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    You...did.

I remember Anders hitting on me in DA2 and the "Not interested" button being right there.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    That's what I meant. Most of the ways of saying "sorry not interested" seemed pretty dickish and came with a chunk of rivalry points. I'm just saying it would be nice to decline someones advances (be they male/female/golem) with out being mean to them.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Hmm...I can't remember the exact way you decline someone's advances.

But personally, I think that kind of situation always has a certain awkwardness to it.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I quite liked the [Heart] options being available for Aveline as well, but she just blatantly ignores them or doesn't even see what you're trying to do. She's the best.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Choosing all the heart responses for Aveline all the way through "The Long Road" is like the best thing ever.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I was disappointed you couldn't sabotage the brakes in Aveline's car after she turns down your advances.

..Thats a perfectly normal reaction, right?

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    You know. I do think its funny that Cullen is basically buds with a Necromancer. Especially since he's still probably pro-Circle.

He has come a long way from Origins.

From what it sounds like, Dorian is actually quite a good guy who's trying to make things right and undo the corruption of his homeland of Tevinter; hence why he joined the Inquisition, despite that it would directly oppose his master's faction. I doubt Cullen would hate a guy who's helping you take down a group of sinister enemy mages, even if the helper was a mage himself.

Also Cullen very clearly has been getting a more open mind after the events of Dragon Age II. Hell, by the end of the game, he was actually likeable.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Ken O wrote: »
    That's what I meant. Most of the ways of saying "sorry not interested" seemed pretty dickish and came with a chunk of rivalry points. I'm just saying it would be nice to decline someones advances (be they male/female/golem) with out being mean to them.
    I mean, it kind of makes sense that they would be disappointed or whatever if you rebuffed their advances. "Rivalry" or "Disapproval" or whatever is just the term for the mechanic. It would be a bit jarring if someone macked hard on you, and then wasn't disappointed by being rejected.

Obviously, they should be MORE disapproving/rivalrous if you're a dick about it.

Bassguy on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    About relationships in general. If characters throw themselves at you like Anders did in DA2 it would be nice if there was a "let down easy" option.
    Yeah, I don't want a repeat of Anders where I really want to be bros with Dorian but he gets real moody because I don't want to sleep with him.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure companions only did that if you chose a romance dialogue choice at some point.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    To be fair, DA2 was bipolar as fuck

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    To be fair, DA2 was bipolar as fuck

No it fucking wasn't you take that back this instant!

Oh my god I'm so sorry please forgive me.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    You...did.

I remember Anders hitting on me in DA2 and the "Not interested" button being right there.

That felt more like kicking a purple than letting him down easy, though. That's entirely due to the writing/voice acting, admittedly, but it also illustrates that a spectrum of "no, let's not bone" responses might be in order for romance turn downs:

1. "No, I don't want to bone, but let's still be bros!"
    2. "No, I don't want to bone, and it's really weird that you're asking me right after your ex-BF just got magically lobotomized."
    3. "No, I don't want to bone, because it'd be creepy to have Justice watching us while we do."

This discussion has been closed.