Options

I Have A Cunning [Chat]!

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    i am creating a tinder program for financial professionals

i am calling it ledger

prepare for double entry accounting

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    syndalis wrote: »
    I usually trust Syndalis 'pinions but man. Errybody but you says it performs like mad butts on both consoles and PC. The Xbone version runs better than the PS4, but it's still averaging 20fps and somehow dipping below that, and that's before you get into glitches, the bountiful glitches...

But then last month the Korra game got universally panned and I resolved to only trust PA and chatpinions on games. So pfffffff

I mean, I am not saying the game runs at a silky smooth 30 frames with absolutely no problems. I fully admit people are out there having issues (though much MUCH more so on the PS4 and PC releases).

But when you step away from the technical issues, its a really good game (if you like city based assassins creed games). And thus far, I have been lucky enough I guess to not have been plagued with any aside from obvious frame dips when the camera pans out and sweeps over all of paris WHILE THERE ARE STILL HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE WALKING AROUND ON THE STREETS holy shit who cares if there is a stutter on this non gameplay moment thats the entire city with people in it and my box is rendering that!

i've never really understood the fixation on fps and resolution on games. obviously we all have different tolerances for jankiness, but it feels like these kind of metrics really occupy too high a priority when it comes to game reviews

i blame asd and a general nerd obsession with rankings and metrics.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Okay so I played some Halo.

It is not bad but I miss Destiny's movement right away when playing.

I feel clunky in-game and I think I need to be more conservative when I play -- when I durdle out into the open at all I get ripped apart by fire. It seems like the plan is to sit behind objects waiting for my shield to slowly recharge and then shoot at guys with my dime-sized targeting reticle and no scope.

Master Chief < My Destiny mans

But the unified presentation and music and everything are great.

I also bought Minecraft on a whim and bought the halo theme pack and cracked out on it over the weekend. It was fun but I sm probably already done with it. Oh well.

I am not sure about either AC game.

Next week is DAI and GTAV yusss

This is your daily news on desc and vidyas

i talked with @The Green Eyed Monster‌ about halo a little bit yesterday. like, halo was a super-important series; it was the gold standard in shooters. but by now the entire genre has incorporated halo's successful aspects and innovated in directions that the franchise isn't particularly interested in (from what i can tell). and of course the reskinned halo 1 and 2 are going to feel clunky and backwards.

I'd recommend working through the campaigns, if for nothing else out of cultural edification (these are important games). I wouldn't mess with the multi though.

Yeah. I mean, I expected it to be old school and certainly I played tons of Quake and Kingpin and Sin and BF 1942 and etc. back in the day so I can do it.

At the time I was always super condescending about Halo being a scrub tier console bro Cool Ranch series for garbage people (which, to be fair...) but I threw in my $60 to give it a chance for historical edification.

It all seems a little silly but I have enjoyed Destiny enough that it's interesting to see the ancestral DNA of that game here in Halo. I definitely notice enemy types that are echoed in modern games -- the Jackals in this game are actually more annoying than the Cabal shield carriers.

I am starting with 1 and just going to cruise through the campaign. I actually am a little hopeful about 4 as it sounds like it has a story with actual personalities and it might be new enough to feel reasonably modern.

I should see who picks this up for co-op lols before I sell it back, too.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    So are you bros psyched about Overwatch? The trailer looks good but then that's what Blizzard does best. I haven't had any class based shooter action since TF2, though

No announcements about hats yet, either

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    i think i am close to beating evil within

it has tried my patience sorely at times

i tried to buy sunset overdrive yesterday on the xbone store but it is "unavailable" unless you buy the $79.99 deluxe edition

stupid microsoft

tried your patience?

oh my

i'm basically just an older winky in your mind aren't i

never finishing a dang old thing, needing a bunch of adderall (never had it) to function

the key difference is that when winky abandons something you can feel the waves of raw self-hate radiating off of him

somewhat related

I was browsing through the xbox one UI (still not a huge fan but whatevs) and I noticed this absolutely massive Gamerscore. wtf? This onthelastcastle guy has over 100k Gamerscore? Is he just mad 100%ing every game he gets like some sort of video game savant?

Pop open his profile and it's just half completed game upon half completed game. It was endless...

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    i don't think i've taken a single sick day this year

Read that as dick.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    So are you bros psyched about Overwatch? The trailer looks good but then that's what Blizzard does best. I haven't had any class based shooter action since TF2, though

I'm sure we'll find out in 2025

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    i still havent played black flag

i probably should do that, eventually

it's the best in the series up to unity. maybe lacking a little in central narrative, but still a lot of fun.

I still think Brotherhood is better, but they are CLOSE for the top spot.

My biggest issue with Black Flag is that they traded out their awesome massive city design for awesome naval stuff.

If at some point in the future there is an asscreed game that lets you sail the Mediterranean and port in massive cities like Rome, Barcelona, Athens, etc. - I know it would take like 10 years to make but I think I could just stop buying videogames at that point.

yeah the cities felt a little anemic and horizontal, but i thought they did a good job making it work with various other environmental elements.

much better than they did in AC3 for sure.

I actually really like the small cities in Black flag. I find large cities in 3d games to be too disorienting.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    I've said this a few times, but i think AC2 and AssBro are my favorite games so far in the series. I totally dug the explorative "climb around inside this huge church" levels and all the conspiracy theory minigame gibberish

i think the setting of AC3 was the best so far, although the present day story was the weakest. The running through the forest last-of-the-mohicans shit really grabbed me, although the game tried to do too much and i probably only touched about 50% of the game, if that

i mean, in AC3 there were entire game systems that I had no idea how they worked the entire time and didn't use them beyond whatever the game made me do to progress the story

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular

I'll play it, but the activision/blizzard server thing is gonna be unfortunate

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

I feel clunky in-game and I think I need to be more conservative when I play -- when I durdle out into the open at all I get ripped apart by fire. It seems like the plan is to sit behind objects waiting for my shield to slowly recharge and then shoot at guys with my dime-sized targeting reticle and no scope.

I also bought Minecraft on a whim and bought the halo theme pack and cracked out on it over the weekend. It was fun but I sm probably already done with it. Oh well.

i talked with @The Green Eyed Monster‌ about halo a little bit yesterday. like, halo was a super-important series; it was the gold standard in shooters. but by now the entire genre has incorporated halo's successful aspects and innovated in directions that the franchise isn't particularly interested in (from what i can tell). and of course the reskinned halo 1 and 2 are going to feel clunky and backwards.

I'd recommend working through the campaigns, if for nothing else out of cultural edification (these are important games). I wouldn't mess with the multi though.

Yeah. I mean, I expected it to be old school and certainly I played tons of Quake and Kingpin and Sin and BF 1942 and etc. back in the day so I can do it.

At the time I was always super condescending about Halo being a scrub tier console bro Cool Ranch series for garbage people (which, to be fair...) but I threw in my $60 to give it a chance for historical edification.

It all seems a little silly but I have enjoyed Destiny enough that it's interesting to see the ancestral DNA of that game here in Halo. I definitely notice enemy types that are echoed in modern games -- the Jackals in this game are actually more annoying than the Cabal shield carriers.

I am starting with 1 and just going to cruise through the campaign. I actually am a little hopeful about 4 as it sounds like it has a story with actual personalities and it might be new enough to feel reasonably modern.

honestly the best halo game by a decent margin was reach. odst also had an interesting narrative structure though the gameplay lacked some of the verve of the rest of the halo series, since you weren't driving spartans.

halo 4 was pretty good. i can't really say that i understood a lot of the story, though the central storyline was pretty clear. still think that master chief is among the worst character in videogames.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I usually trust Syndalis 'pinions but man. Errybody but you says it performs like mad butts on both consoles and PC. The Xbone version runs better than the PS4, but it's still averaging 20fps and somehow dipping below that, and that's before you get into glitches, the bountiful glitches...

But then last month the Korra game got universally panned and I resolved to only trust PA and chatpinions on games. So pfffffff

I mean, I am not saying the game runs at a silky smooth 30 frames with absolutely no problems. I fully admit people are out there having issues (though much MUCH more so on the PS4 and PC releases).

But when you step away from the technical issues, its a really good game (if you like city based assassins creed games). And thus far, I have been lucky enough I guess to not have been plagued with any aside from obvious frame dips when the camera pans out and sweeps over all of paris WHILE THERE ARE STILL HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE WALKING AROUND ON THE STREETS holy shit who cares if there is a stutter on this non gameplay moment thats the entire city with people in it and my box is rendering that!

I'm waiting a while, hoping for a patch to squeeze mo' juice out of it. IIRC PS4 ACIV had it's 1080 resolution patched in shortly after release. Man that's a lotta acronyms.

FYI FWIW the population density sounds rad, and as great as ACIV is it's just refining an established formula, where Unity sounds like a clean break. Rogue is getting predictably better reviews than Unity, but it's the safe game. More of the same.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I was done with halo after 2

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

i tried to buy sunset overdrive yesterday on the xbone store but it is "unavailable" unless you buy the $79.99 deluxe edition

stupid microsoft

tried your patience?

oh my

never finishing a dang old thing, needing a bunch of adderall (never had it) to function

the key difference is that when winky abandons something you can feel the waves of raw self-hate radiating off of him

somewhat related

I was browsing through the xbox one UI (still not a huge fan but whatevs) and I noticed this absolutely massive Gamerscore. wtf? This onthelastcastle guy has over 100k Gamerscore? Is he just mad 100%ing every game he gets like some sort of video game savant?

Pop open his profile and it's just half completed game upon half completed game. It was endless...

there's a lot of games to play in the world! i rarely grind out achievements especially anymore... at first it started as a joke to beat all my friends gamerscores but then... it just kept going

oddly enough the only people at all close to me are @emnmnme‌ at 95k and my roommate who just eclipsed me

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

i've never really understood the fixation on fps and resolution on games. obviously we all have different tolerances for jankiness, but it feels like these kind of metrics really occupy too high a priority when it comes to game reviews

It didn't matter until I got a taste of 60fps and now anything less is not good enough :P

The difference between 900 and 1080p is negligible tho

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    games that run well are a nerds-only thing now huh

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Guys, I tried Blands2 this week and didn't care for it. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I got to a point in Dark Souls where the tedium of replaying the same section over and over got to be too much, and I gave up.

• Options

i am not sure. i love the character design and distinct visual design and slickness of the environments etc.

but i'm not real excited about yet another arena shooter. i was hoping it would be sort of a first person moba but it doesn't look to be the case.

it sounds like they are releasing the characters in a staged way, and i hope this is sort of a running effort - like they'll follow a LoL sort of approach to content drops. that would be cool.

so i guess semi-tumescent

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    @Irond Will‌ i wish we'd played halo reach together! that MP was tiiiiiiiiiight

@desc would like it too. it's like halo only it had power abilities that weren't just complete shit from a butt like Halo 4

halo 4 giving everyone sprint and random weapon drops was the worst. fuck halo.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Frame rate hitches and stutters are INCREDIBLY irritating. More than irritating. They make many games unplayable, if they rely on any kind of dexterity or reaction. It also annihilates the sense of place and time. It's awful.

My PC hitches when playing Saints Row IV on low settings. :(

• Options
    and i realize my mistake in buying CoD was that we already have destiny. there's only so many games my bros can all play... seems like we threw our lot in with destiny p hard sooooooooo

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

Also, I got to a point in Dark Souls where the tedium of replaying the same section over and over got to be too much, and I gave up.

did you bro-op

if y, you're probably just dead inside

• Options
    @desc i wondered how you liked minecraft. i have not played it yet but i was tempted when i saw you tooling around in it

also i am not excited for the halo release at all... the only one of those games i played a ton of MP in was Halo 3.

Minecraft is cute. I mean, I played some ancient incredibly early version on PC so I am familiar with the gist of it.

I dug into the ground and smelted iron and made armor and tools and a sword (which looks like an adorable blocky iron version of the two-pronged energy blade from Halo thanks to the texture pack I got).

Then I built some simple cobblestone houses with windows and carpet.

I dimly recall DK's pc server where everyone made big structures and mine cart rides and stuff so I think silliness with bros is the real appeal of the game.

If anyone gets it on the Bone I am up to make a castle or shear some sheep wool.

• Options

how are you borderlanding

some people like/hate single/multi

• Options
    kaleedity wrote: »

no, but the fixation on framerate and resolution in the vg community tends to eclipse more important aspects of a game imo.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

I'm waiting a while, hoping for a patch to squeeze mo' juice out of it. IIRC PS4 ACIV had it's 1080 resolution patched in shortly after release. Man that's a lotta acronyms.

FYI FWIW the population density sounds rad, and as great as ACIV is it's just refining an established formula, where Unity sounds like a clean break. Rogue is getting predictably better reviews than Unity, but it's the safe game. More of the same.

I look forward to playing Rogue on the XBO sometime next year, as they will definitely port it in the spring or something.

But it absolutely is the safe title. Unity is them actively trying to do something different with the series and technical issues aside I feel like there is a lot they succeeded with.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

When you spend hundreds of dollars on a graphics card, the graphics take on more importance. I think that's really all there is to it.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    halo 4 was the worst MP experience. I'm sure it not being developed by Bungie was a huge factor.

ranking the halo MPs: Anniversary > 3 > 1 > reach >>2 >> 4

ranking the halo SPs: reach >> 4 > 1 > 3 > 2 (didn't ever play ODST)

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options

i talked with The Green Eyed Monster"‌ about halo a little bit yesterday. like, halo was a super-important series; it was the gold standard in shooters. but by now the entire genre has incorporated halo's successful aspects and innovated in directions that the franchise isn't particularly interested in (from what i can tell). and of course the reskinned halo 1 and 2 are going to feel clunky and backwards.

honestly the best halo game by a decent margin was reach. odst also had an interesting narrative structure though the gameplay lacked some of the verve of the rest of the halo series, since you weren't driving spartans.

halo 4 was pretty good. i can't really say that i understood a lot of the story, though the central storyline was pretty clear. still think that master chief is among the worst character in videogames.

I bought Reach on my 360 recently but my 360 is so old that it kept freezing up

I was excited to make my character a waifu with customized armor and there's no master chief

>: (

• Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    @Kana wrote: »
    Is Enslaved good?

I seem to hear a lot of positive vibes about it but I have no idea what it's deal is

Except that it's playing on journey to the west or somethin'

I'm a couple hours in now. It's like a kind of buggy Prince of Persia set in a mad max robot apocalypse future in NY. I'll definitely get $5 out of it.

• Options

stupid microsoft

tried your patience?

oh my

somewhat related

@Sir Landshark‌ i want this written on my tomb, btw

"half completed game up on half completed game. It was endless..."

• Options

no, but the fixation on framerate and resolution in the vg community tends to eclipse more important aspects of a game imo.

there is a difference between 30/60 fps and this game runs at 10 fps so it is like watching a baby try to walk in clown shoes

• Options
    Gooey wrote: »
    I've said this a few times, but i think AC2 and AssBro are my favorite games so far in the series. I totally dug the explorative "climb around inside this huge church" levels and all the conspiracy theory minigame gibberish

i think the setting of AC3 was the best so far, although the present day story was the weakest. The running through the forest last-of-the-mohicans shit really grabbed me, although the game tried to do too much and i probably only touched about 50% of the game, if that

i mean, in AC3 there were entire game systems that I had no idea how they worked the entire time and didn't use them beyond whatever the game made me do to progress the story

the forest stuff was pretty good in AC3. i agree - i liked the last of the mohicans stuff. it was an obvious inspiration - they even incorporated the folia into the score the same way that the lotm movie did!

the city stuff was kind of weak - i live in boston and still had kind of a hard time getting interested in their version of the city. also the central narrative was kind of weak and the protagonist was pretty hard to like.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited November 2014
    halo 4 was the worst MP experience. I'm sure it not being developed by Bungie was a huge factor.

ranking the halo MPs: Anniversary > 3 > 1 > reach >>2 >> 4

ranking the halo SPs: reach >> 4 > 1 > 3 > 2 (didn't ever play ODST)

2's singleplayer got a bad rap because it didn't end. It just stopped.

Now that you can just boot up Halo 3 and keep playing its not nearly as bad.

There were some straight up epic moments throughout 2's campaign.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I'm finally getting into FIFA ultimate team. I just wish there was more to really do with it

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Tav wrote: »

did you bro-op

if y, you're probably just dead inside

I did, and some shitty kids got on there and made the experience awful.

But I found a lot of the gameplay to be less than optimal, as well.

• Options

stupid microsoft

tried your patience?

oh my

somewhat related

@Sir Landshark‌ i want this written on my tomb, btw

"half completed game up on half completed game. It was endless..."

This is the way to be. Play till you want to play something else. Don't fall into the trap of completion. Its a hobby, not a job or moral obligation.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I think part of the reason dark souls turns so many people off is that repetition, especially if you're not an action game junkie so you have to learn a lot to progress

Your reward for trying to learn is being killed by the same enemies over and over

I would much prefer levels designed to accommodate complex, unpredictable enemies, but that would be am entirely different game, one very separate from the solve-this-encounter traditionalism of the series

• Options

how are you borderlanding

some people like/hate single/multi

I went back to single after multi was a shitshow.

This discussion has been closed.