As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santa 2014: Until next season....

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    So people here have personally sent things of the beer persuasion and not had the present become obliterated by USPS lasers or have angry postal workers at their door? How did they accomplish this? I'm uh, asking hypothetically. For a friend.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    So people here have personally sent things of the beer persuasion and not had the present become obliterated by USPS lasers or have angry postal workers at their door? How did they accomplish this? I'm uh, asking hypothetically. For a friend.

Just don't say what's in it.

Wrap glass bottle is the big bubble wrap. The kind with the 1-inch sized bubble. Two, three layers--you shouldn't be able to poke the glass when you're done. Wrap with enough plastic and/or packing tape that they're reasonably watertight.
    Put those bottles is a close fitting box. Put that box in a larger box with packing peanuts/candy/gifts such that there's at least another inch of padding all around.

If you're not comfortable dropping the box from chest height to the ground, it isn't ready for shipping.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Pack carefully, don't list it on the contents. Ymmv

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    The rule of thumb seems to be "tell no one."

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

FedEx / UPS it instead, but follow the packing arrangements specified above.

• Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    Probably worth mentioning so Santa knows: I don't really drink alcohol unless it's high-end whiskey, and I don't even like that enough to ever buy it.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I am of legal drinking age Santa! I'm not big on hard liquor but white wine and beer (of almost any sort) are my favorites. I am however in Canada so shipping across the border is a no-no, but shipping between provinces is fiiine as I'm in Ontario. (Sort of, mostly. Canada Post has some rules on it here. Many wineries and breweries allow you to order and ship liquor within Canada.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Be very aware that any package you sent via USPA, UPS, FedEx, or otherwise is very likely to become a brick for the worst game of Tetris, an impromptu football, a doorstop, a horseshoe, or any combination thereof because the people are paid to get the stuff shipped not make sure it reaches the destination intact.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Be very aware that any package you sent via USPA, UPS, FedEx, or otherwise is very likely to become a brick for the worst game of Tetris, an impromptu football, a doorstop, a horseshoe, or any combination thereof because the people are paid to get the stuff shipped not make sure it reaches the destination intact.

In defense of the dudes who work there (cause I used to be one), the worst thing to happen to you boxes isn't the people handing them, it's the network of chutes and conveyors it will need to pass through. They definitely can't read a fragile sticker.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    DaxterMax wrote: »
    To me that looks like a date in yyyyMMdd
    Okay so either 11/28 is going to be terrifyingly gift filled, or I'm going to be murdered.

Or this is all insane coincidence. But I love this stuff sooooo

edit: Also how the HELL would you create something like that? That specific binary string has THREE results show up in google.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Well, all this talk in here, and I just had a brilliant idea.

More stuff for someone. . .

Just leaving it at that.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    On the third day of not Christmas my true love gave to me, two copies of Burnout, one for Origin and one for Steam. :whistle:

signature.png
    Note: One copy is for Origin and the other is for Steam, who gets which copy from the winners selected will be completely random.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    On the note of packaging fragile materials:

Have it wrapped and packaged in so much packing material that it is actually pretty tight in the box. If it has room to shake and move, then collide with the box wall, it will more likely break!

If you are shipping something like a picture frame, don't rely on corner protectors. Those end up damaging very fragile corners if they're resting against the side of the box, and when the protector gets hit, the damage goes right to the corner. Instead wrap the item so the corners are not directly touching anything, but the brunt of the impact will go to the well packaged and higher surface area sides. I will try to describe in image form:
    HuiDiTv.jpg

• Options
    That's a great example! Yeah, corners are going to be hit the most, and crumple first in most cases.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    This is great advice. I think I'm just happy I figured out what to ship what I want in that it isn't going to break.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Well crap, everyone I apologize, I'm going to have to scuttle the Burnout giveaway and redo it so that it's only a single copy of the game due to how SteamGifts works. I thought you only had to have winners click that they received the game as verification for the site, but apparently the site also scans your Steam library to make sure you activate it, or else it punishes one or both of you. So even though I have permission here, all the copies of games I have from Origin, GoG, etc I can't give away through SteamGifts. Damn this rule is just making it harder to give away more games. Oh double dammit I can't do more giveaways until my current ones expire. Well I guess for a few more days I can't continue the 12 days of NOT Christmas.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    in my day we did giveaways by hand, or through elaborate puzzles and deathbattles!

(no worries. no one ever said 12 consecutive days of Christmas)

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    I am watching the Peanuts Mayflower movie. My second favorite right behind the Christmas movie. I love my Peanuts box set, Peanuts for all seasons.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    Elin wrote: »
    I am watching the Peanuts Mayflower movie. My second favorite right behind the Christmas movie. I love my Peanuts box set, Peanuts for all seasons.

I don't want to start a fight in the Christmas thread but I will fight you for the honour of Race For Your Life Charlie Brown.

Anyway, I need to get a box for my gift yet. I considered just wrapping it in a giant ball of tape but that would increase the shipping cost significantly due to the increased weight of 5 pounds of packing tape.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    DaxterMax wrote: »
    To me that looks like a date in yyyyMMdd
    Okay so either 11/28 is going to be terrifyingly gift filled, or I'm going to be murdered.

Or this is all insane coincidence. But I love this stuff sooooo

edit: Also how the HELL would you create something like that? That specific binary string has THREE results show up in google.

11/28 also happens to be Black Friday.

Im pretty sure we can all guess what that means.

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Murder!

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Well crap, everyone I apologize, I'm going to have to scuttle the Burnout giveaway and redo it so that it's only a single copy of the game due to how SteamGifts works. I thought you only had to have winners click that they received the game as verification for the site, but apparently the site also scans your Steam library to make sure you activate it, or else it punishes one or both of you. So even though I have permission here, all the copies of games I have from Origin, GoG, etc I can't give away through SteamGifts. Damn this rule is just making it harder to give away more games. Oh double dammit I can't do more giveaways until my current ones expire. Well I guess for a few more days I can't continue the 12 days of NOT Christmas.

You could just have people reply/pm you to get added to the list. Then be all
    1. The_Spaniard
    2. Is
    3. Super
    4. Awesome
    5. At
    6. Giving
    7. Away
    8. Presents
    9. Hooray

Geth roll 1d9 for the winner.

Looks like "Hooray" wins!

the winner:
    1d9 9 [1d9=9]

Aioua on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Elin wrote: »

I don't want to start a fight in the Christmas thread but I will fight you for the honour of Race For Your Life Charlie Brown.

I will stipulate that those two are my favorite out of the holiday specials, however, my top two non-holiday Peanuts would be A Boy Named Charlie Brown and Snoopy, Come Home.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »

You could just have people reply/pm you to get added to the list. Then be all
    1. The_Spaniard
    2. Is
    3. Super
    4. Awesome
    5. At
    6. Giving
    7. Away
    8. Presents
    9. Hooray

Geth roll 1d9 for the winner.

Looks like "Hooray" wins!

I didn't even know the board has a dice roller! Just say Geth roll 1d20?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    Getting ideas for my Santee, think I have some good ones. Will collect more ideas and post out first week of Dec all being well.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    All my Santee's gifts have been purchased and are en route to me for wrapping. I hope I did ok, I'm nervous.

As long as you got your San
    On the third day of not Christmas my true love gave to me, two copies of Burnout, one for Origin and one for Steam. :whistle:

signature.png
    Note: One copy is for Origin and the other is for Steam, who gets which copy from the winners selected will be completely random.

Oh wow, I had no idea that Burnout Paradise ever introduced bikes.

Santa! I'm legal age and love alcohol, so feel free to get me as drunk as you'd like.

• Options
    WillyDubWillyDub Registered User regular
    Santa! I'm legal age and love alcohol, so feel free to get me as drunk as you'd lik

Haha, i love this thread.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    So do we have any frequent travellers between the UK and US? I always like to give some local sweets in secret santas and these days its hard to know for certain what we have here that they don't over there.

Any UK sweets Americans go mad for? I know our chocolate is supposed to be very different.

Prime on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    You misspelled better. UK chocolate is better. Specifically UK KitKats are amazing and I'm sad we don't have them here.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I don't think it would actually be an issue, but:

Santa,
    I can't drink booze anymore, which is a recent medical development despite occasionally posting about booze for the last year. No big loss, but a small update. :)

I've mentioned I'm diabetic, but dont worry about dietary stuff if you want to send food, if its candy or whatever it just means I spread out the enjoyment over a longer period instead of downing it all at once. The only hard rule is I dont do regular soda anymore :D

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I don't think it would actually be an issue, but:

Santa,
    I can't drink booze anymore, which is a recent medical development despite talking about occasionally posting about booze for the last year. No big loss, but a small update. :)

I've mentioned I'm diabetic, but dont worry about dietary stuff if you want to send food, if its candy or whatever it just means I spread out the enjoyment over a longer period instead of downing it all at once. The only hard rule is I dont do regular soda anymore :D

Send you a bag of sugar. Got ya.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Prime wrote: »
    So do we have any frequent travellers between the UK and US? I always like to give some local sweets in secret santas and these days its hard to know for certain what we have here that they don't over there.

Any UK sweets Americans go mad for? I know our chocolate is supposed to be very different.

Man, I can't recall exactly what but I got some pretty delicious stuff from the uk in 2011 or 12. I will look over it when I get home.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
  • Options
    Radiation wrote: »

Man, I can't recall exactly what but I got some pretty delicious stuff from the uk in 2011 or 12. I will look over it when I get home.

I'm trying to think of the UK snacks I've gotten before. Crunchie's are all I can think of. Wrapping honeycomb in chocolate is the best thing ever and they don't sell those in the US, though a lot of small chocolatiers will make their own if you're lucky enough to have local options.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »
    All my Santee's gifts have been purchased and are en route to me for wrapping. I hope I did ok, I'm nervous.

As long as I got my San... I have to know!

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular

As long as you got your San Antonio Spurs memorabilia, you're good to go.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Icemopper wrote: »

As long as you got your San Antonio Spurs memorabilia, you're good to go.

As long as you got your San back after running into that Shoggoth, you're good to go.

• Options
    Schide wrote: »

I'll grant you that's good.

But let me ask you, does it come with it's own dialogue balloons? No, no it doesn't.

• Options
    Radiation wrote: »

Please do, might be good inspiration for me. Kit Kats and Crunchie Bars have been mentioned so far.