As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] The Turkey Coma Dale Fest Party Long Weekend Thing has arrived!

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Jazz wrote: »
    Anybody tried The Witcher Adventure Game yet?

This probably won't help much but I tried it during the beta test. It looks nice as far as it being a digital boardgame but I was pretty confused the entire time. But keep in mind that I am someone with very little tabletop experience. Blood bowl the videogame also confused the hell out of me and the most complicated boardgame I play is catan.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    DaxterMax wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    MORE SO EXCITE, MUST REMEMBER TO BREATHE!

That seems like a reeeeeeaally weak psu for what you are running.

I think the 970 cards are supposed to be very good with power usage under full load. 700w looks more than enough depending on PSU quality as majority is onboard on the mobo.

Power supplies are definitely more dependent on manufacturer than wattage. A 500w PSU from a reputable manufacturer is significantly safer than a 600-700w no name PSU that shipped with your case.

A GTX970 is only a 140w card (my aging GTX560ti pulls 170w, for example), so combining that with a modern i7 and the rest will fall in well under the safety threshold for 700w, even with a closed loop watercooling pump and a handful of fans sucking up juice. As long as the PSU is from a decent brand and not like Diablotek or something it should be golden.

Those insane 1kw+ PSUs are generally only required when you start thinking about SLI (which your mobo supports) for high end GPUs, or have a huge RAID array filled with mechanical hard drives.

But enough of that gobbledygook, the real question here is "When will it arrive?".

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

This probably won't help much but I tried it during the beta test. It looks nice as far as it being a digital boardgame but I was pretty confused the entire time. But keep in mind that I am someone with very little tabletop experience. Blood bowl the videogame also confused the hell out of me and the most complicated boardgame I play is catan.

All I've really played in the way of boardgames in the last few years - digital or otherwise only because I have no-one to play them with - is Catan, Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride, the latter of which is my perpetual go-to iPhone game. Funnily enough I did play Blood Bowl back in its first edition days (polystyrene board and all!)... in fact 90% of my GW experience is first editions - Space Hulk, 40K, WFRP, WFB, etc - so I'm way out of the loop on them now.

I wonder if the finished version of Witcher Adventure has something of a tutorial to get one up to speed to avoid your beta confusion. Cheers for the input, though. I think we're probably at a similar level when it comes to boardgames.

This reminds me, I have Talisman on Steam, but it fell into the backlog...

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    My Dad is on a roll. He bought me a PC! "How are we going to play steam games when your computer sucks? It's been a good year for wine grapes, configure one!"
    Case 1 x NZXT Phantom 240 Gaming Case - White
    Noise Reduction 1 x Advanced - Harmony SRS Sound Reduction System - Improved Airflow Silent Fans
    Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor (4x 4.0GHz/8MB L3 Cache) - Intel® Core™ i7-4790K
    Processor Cooling 1 x Asetek 510LC Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1150] - ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade
    Memory 1 x 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module [B85] - Corsair or Major Brand
    Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 - 4GB - Single Card
    Free Stuff 1 x [FREE] - Turtle Beach Z1 Headset -
    Free Stuff 1 x [FREE] - 802.11AC Dual Band Wireless USB Adapter
    Motherboard 1 x ASUS B85-PLUS -- 2x PCIe x16, 2x USB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0
    Power Supply 1 x 600 Watt - Standard - *Free Upgrade to 700W Standard
    Primary Hard Drive 1 x 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200rpm, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
    Optical Drive 1 x 24x Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW - Black
    Sound Card 1 x 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
    Network Card 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
    Keyboard 1 x [FREE] Tt eSports Backlit Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse 1 x [FREE] Tt eSports Backlit Gaming Mouse

@Broncbuster‌
    you really need to squeeze in an SSD somewhere into that build

it is the single biggest upgrade you can make to your PCs overall performance on most tasks. I'm not kidding when I say I expect the speed difference between an SSD and not having one would be bigger than the difference between a Core Duo and an i7.

At the very least, it'd be a crying shame to build a beastly rig like that and then effectively hamstring it with a regular HDD.

Dhalphir speaks the truth.

Coincidentally, it is probably the best time ever right now, 'twixt Black Friday and Cyber Monday, to find a deal on a SSD. For example, Newegg has the whole Samsung EVO line, highly regarded by the Build Thread, on sale right now. For example, the 500GB version is $190 right now, and you get a copy of Far Cry 4. That's a batshit insane deal compared with what this drive was going for at the start of the year.

I don't know what, if any, budget you have to supplement this paternal windfall. But even a smaller SSD for your OS and maybe a few key titles you are playing at the time will make a huge difference.

Freaking awesome in any case, though. 'Grats!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    If Steamgifts bans you for some reason, they tell you when you try to log in, right?

• Options
    subisubi Registered User regular
    They bans only if you brake the rules.Do you get limited or lifetime ban ?

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Attempted to play Brutal Legend last night. Played for 5 minutes, then went to tend to new baby. Fell asleep on the couch by accident. Game night over.

At least I got cards?

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    subi wrote: »

Did I? Don't think so unless they have a rule that requires you to log in often. I'm just trying to eliminate reasons why I can't log in.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    If Steamgifts bans you for some reason, they tell you when you try to log in, right?

I'm pretty sure they do? I would have to ask @Masume since he was the one suspended over a mistake during my first giveaway, which I helped clear up only to be suspended myself. :bzz:

• Options
    FlorinFlorin Registered User regular

Did I? Don't think so unless they have a rule that requires you to log in often. I'm just trying to eliminate reasons why I can't log in.

When you get banned you should be able to log in, you're even able to send support tickets. Maybe something else is the problem.

• Options
    Florin wrote: »

When you get banned you should be able to log in, you're even able to send support tickets. Maybe something else is the problem.

Then I suspect it's my connection. It takes a long time before Steamgifts responds. I'll try again after the sale, but I think I'm going to have to come up with some other way to give these away.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Florin wrote: »

Then I suspect it's my connection. It takes a long time before Steamgifts responds. I'll try again after the sale, but I think I'm going to have to come up with some other way to give these away.
    It might just be steamgifts. The site regularly just loses it's shit and stops working.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    subisubi Registered User regular
    Steamgifts is slow almost every part of the day .They need to upgrade servers .

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Is that the Class Signal?
    h3Iv1O0.jpg
    Yes, it is! @DaxterMax hit me with Injustice: Gods Among Us (Ultimate Edition)!
    Thank you very much! <3
    At the same time, Dax insists on keeping his wishlist empty of any giftable content, which I find completely unjust. :P

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 for 12€ (about $15):
    http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-BUT2/the-book-of-unwritten-tales-2

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Indie Gala is running a promotion where if you spend 30 bucks on their store (not their bundles) you'll get This War of Mine for free. Not a bad deal if you had planned on buying it and one of the 30+ items on the store sometime soon.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

All I've really played in the way of boardgames in the last few years - digital or otherwise only because I have no-one to play them with - is Catan, Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride, the latter of which is my perpetual go-to iPhone game. Funnily enough I did play Blood Bowl back in its first edition days (polystyrene board and all!)... in fact 90% of my GW experience is first editions - Space Hulk, 40K, WFRP, WFB, etc - so I'm way out of the loop on them now.

I wonder if the finished version of Witcher Adventure has something of a tutorial to get one up to speed to avoid your beta confusion. Cheers for the input, though. I think we're probably at a similar level when it comes to boardgames.

Folks in the Boardgames thread in Critical Failures have said some pretty unflattering things about the game.

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    I thought I was going to make it out of this sale with all my limbs

but no

@Mudzgut took me out with a copy of Nights to the shoulder

Ha you all thought I was going to say knee

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Folks in the Boardgames thread in Critical Failures have said some pretty unflattering things about the game.

Just looks like it's the one dude, but yeah, he's not exactly enamored with it. I'll wait and see.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Is that the Class Signal?
    h3Iv1O0.jpg
    Yes, it is! @DaxterMax hit me with Injustice: Gods Among Us (Ultimate Edition)!
    Thank you very much! <3
    At the same time, Dax insists on keeping his wishlist empty of any giftable content, which I find completely unjust. :P

Just look at the list of the games he -does- own, and inflict upon him something he doesn't have, be it something he wants or not. Bad Rats and Secret of the Magic Crystals come to mind. =)

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Well it looks like my headphones are finally too broken to try using anymore. Luckily I found a new pair on sale online during the black friday deals, but it is going to be weeks before they arrive. Guess I will just have to get used to playing with speakers again.
    aa7cAyf.jpg?1

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    My Dad is on a roll. He bought me a PC! "How are we going to play steam games when your computer sucks? It's been a good year for wine grapes, configure one!"
    Case 1 x NZXT Phantom 240 Gaming Case - White
    Noise Reduction 1 x Advanced - Harmony SRS Sound Reduction System - Improved Airflow Silent Fans
    Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor (4x 4.0GHz/8MB L3 Cache) - Intel® Core™ i7-4790K
    Processor Cooling 1 x Asetek 510LC Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1150] - ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade
    Memory 1 x 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module [B85] - Corsair or Major Brand
    Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 - 4GB - Single Card
    Free Stuff 1 x [FREE] - Turtle Beach Z1 Headset -
    Free Stuff 1 x [FREE] - 802.11AC Dual Band Wireless USB Adapter
    Motherboard 1 x ASUS B85-PLUS -- 2x PCIe x16, 2x USB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0
    Power Supply 1 x 600 Watt - Standard - *Free Upgrade to 700W Standard
    Primary Hard Drive 1 x 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200rpm, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
    Optical Drive 1 x 24x Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW - Black
    Sound Card 1 x 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
    Network Card 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
    Keyboard 1 x [FREE] Tt eSports Backlit Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse 1 x [FREE] Tt eSports Backlit Gaming Mouse

@Broncbuster‌
    you really need to squeeze in an SSD somewhere into that build

it is the single biggest upgrade you can make to your PCs overall performance on most tasks. I'm not kidding when I say I expect the speed difference between an SSD and not having one would be bigger than the difference between a Core Duo and an i7.

At the very least, it'd be a crying shame to build a beastly rig like that and then effectively hamstring it with a regular HDD.

Got one in the Current machine that will get transferred over.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    OK guys, question. Is Secret World worth it at $11? I've been looking at it for a while but I'd like to hear what you guys think about it.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Man, there are some really good sales today (Saints Row! Transistor!) but I'm still perfectly happy waiting for the Winter Sale in case of a big metagame. The discounts are almost certain to be the same, right?

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    OK guys, question. Is Secret World worth it at $11? I've been looking at it for a while but I'd like to hear what you guys think about it.

If you're looking for super awesome gameplay probably not worth it.

If you want to explore some of the best world building in an MMO then absolutely.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Today's deals are OK. I'm intrigued by far cry 3. I wish transistor would come a bit lower though. Maybe christmas?
    How's the just cause 2 multiplayer? I have jc2 for ps3, worth getting again? £4 budget left and I'm determined to stick to it!

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular

If you want to explore some of the best world building in an MMO then absolutely.

What is the gameplay like?

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

Standard hotkey MMO with the only really neat thing being that there isn't a strict leveling system. You set your class by the two weapons you're holding and can unlock abilities from any weapon whenever you have points (even if practically you'll only have enough points while going through the game to focus on 2/3 weapons).

• Options

Standard hotkey MMO with the only really neat thing being that there isn't a strict leveling system. You set your class by the two weapons you're holding and can unlock abilities from any weapon whenever you have points (even if practically you'll only have enough points while going through the game to focus on 2/3 weapons).

That sounds interesting. Now to decide to stock up on gifts or buy myself a new game lol.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    OH TORCHLIGHT 2 and dishonoured!

Today's deals are great.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I had resisted! I hadn't opened this thread, I had been playing Dragon Age so I didn't even have to open steam. I had basically done everything in my power, short of cut myself off from the technological world, to stay way from this sale.

Then I got an email this morning Stick of Truth was 66% off. Fuck you Gaben, fuck you.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    What do people think are the most owned games among the penny arcade group? I'm thinking bastion and ftl. And then tf2 and l4d2

Anything by Zeboyd is going to be pretty well represented around here.

In this group? Most owned is probably Bad Rats.

Actually only 95 out of my 200+ friends have it.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    Radioactive @Berylline particles flooded a russian facility, and I ended up with GORKY 17.

Hmggeaz.png

Thanks Berylline. I read this is kind of like XCOM, and that sounds good to me.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Fairly cut and dry for MMO standards. You'll choose two weapons and grind out points to unlock skills and craft builds (decks). But you can choose different weapons and repeat quests every 8-24? hours so not too hard to change things up. Where it shines is like Albino Bunny said: world building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLIeCxf9js0

Given you have a silent protagonist but this is an intro for an early kill and fetch quest but it gets you hook, line and seeker. There are investigation missions that you must go online to look up the answer, and no not just to look up the quest guides. There is a built in online browser tab for a reason.

While you can fumble your way through the early levels with just about any build, by the second or third area the standard fights can become punishing if you haven't been building the right build. God help you if you were like me and tried following one of the in-game ones. They are for costume unlocks and that's all.

Karoz on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    So, I note that the GOTY Dishonored is slightly above ten bucks. I also note that the two DLC I have on my wishlist for Dishonored add up to just slightly under ten bucks. Is there a reason to not get the extra DLC for a few cents more?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

Fairly standard rotation stuff (if that, most damage output amounts to builder x5>spenders>repeat, with a few cooldowns for harder fights and such). Bigger enemy attacks do have telegraphs on the ground. And the actual skill setup is crazy and something I wish would be copied more (Most attacks have keywords. Most passives affect keywords or trigger off them. So you can have a build where your main attacks are all of the Burst type, then you have a bunch of passives that say "On burst attack, do X extra effect", for instance).

Questing is mostly standard, aside from investigation missions (which require actually pulling shit up on wikipedia and google and such to solve the puzzles. Or looking the answers up... which given their massive XP rewards is a temptation). The fact that I could solve even one without a guide is something I'm sort of proud of (mainly because it amounts mainly to sneaking around and finding mathematical patterns. I'm good at math).

But as noted, what it absolutely excels at is its worldbuilding. The first couple zones in particular are just crazy well done.

You can basically do everything on one character (There's even a reward for learning every skill), so the only reason to roll another is to try other factions stories (or get at their faction-specific outfits, but those all need a lot of time investment to get at).

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Does Torchlight 2 offer a different enough experience than Diablo 3 to be worth playing while still playing Diablo 3?

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    So, I note that the GOTY Dishonored is slightly above ten bucks. I also note that the two DLC I have on my wishlist for Dishonored add up to just slightly under ten bucks. Is there a reason to not get the extra DLC for a few cents more?

If you already have the base game then you're SOL for getting the GOTY Dishonored, it won't give you anything extra. If you don't have the base then GOTY will end up saving you $5+ on the DLC.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Fairly standard rotation stuff (if that, most damage output amounts to builder x5>spenders>repeat, with a few cooldowns for harder fights and such). Bigger enemy attacks do have telegraphs on the ground. And the actual skill setup is crazy and something I wish would be copied more (Most attacks have keywords. Most passives affect keywords or trigger off them. So you can have a build where your main attacks are all of the Burst type, then you have a bunch of passives that say "On burst attack, do X extra effect", for instance).

Questing is mostly standard, aside from investigation missions (which require actually pulling shit up on wikipedia and google and such to solve the puzzles. Or looking the answers up... which given their massive XP rewards is a temptation). The fact that I could solve even one without a guide is something I'm sort of proud of (mainly because it amounts mainly to sneaking around and finding mathematical patterns. I'm good at math).

But as noted, what it absolutely excels at is its worldbuilding. The first couple zones in particular are just crazy well done.

You can basically do everything on one character (There's even a reward for learning every skill), so the only reason to roll another is to try other factions stories (or get at their faction-specific outfits, but those all need a lot of time investment to get at).

Is there a lot of people actually playing it or is it kind of barren?

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Does Torchlight 2 offer a different enough experience than Diablo 3 to be worth playing while still playing Diablo 3?

No. I love Torchlight and Runic Games, don't get me wrong, but if you're liking the current incarnation of Diablo 3, TL and TL2 will seem like a step back, and won't offer much. The only thing that TL and TL2 have going for them over D3 is that the randomized levels can be really f'ing random, but that can be as much a point of frustration as joy.

Obviously this is my opinion, YMMV and all that.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
This discussion has been closed.