Options

I spent 90 hours at the [job] thread last week and all I got was this lousy paycheck

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    There's no dress code for our holiday party thing

And while this makes a lot of sense and is probably a good thing in the end

I wish there was something there to give me some sort of guideline as to what everyone else is gonna be doing

I'm glad I didn't spend money on a new dress for this holiday party. Turns out I'll still be on bed rest anyway the day they scheduled the shindig. At least I have a good excuse to not have awkward work interactions with people who had too much to drink.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    children are horrific little illness factories and anywhere they congregate in numbers is a fucking wonderland of bacteria and viri.

burn all children.

ya know I was totally with you up to that incineration part. I wanna keep my little illness factories thankyouverymuch.

In that case I may have A Modest Proposal...

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Kid Gloves for some! Small British Flags for others.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Kinda job related I guess:

Just got my separation orders for leaving the Air Force. So ready to leave this shit behind me.

Welcome back to civilization. I hope you saved your money.

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    There was a small fire in Los Angeles this morning.

Received a text telling me not to come into work. I work in the building across from the former building-under-construction. Most of our building's windows are shattered. The logo on our building started to melt. I've heard the sprinklers went off.

I don't know when I'm going back to work.

At least no one was hurt.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    My work scheduled their holiday party for January 30th, with is pretty WTF on its own, but is also the same day my girlfriend is having knee surgery. So I'll be sitting in the hospital with her instead of sucking down free top shelf cocktails.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    My work scheduled their holiday party for January 30th, with is pretty WTF on its own, but is also the same day my girlfriend is having knee surgery. So I'll be sitting in the hospital with her instead of sucking down free top shelf cocktails.

We can be hospital pals. I'll raise a juice box in your honor.

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    Debating volunteering to work on Christmas. It's paid work but I hear that customers are the worst on Christmas Day. I might still get paid for not going because it is Christmas but I don't know if I've been working there long enough.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    today I got to listen to a kid get restrained

Do you work at a dentist's office?

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    no, a school

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Christmas party was pretty sweet. Best view i've seen of the city yet. Pretty good steak. Two drink tickets, for some pretty nice cocktails. 25$ target card. Comedian. Though the comedian did make a cold war joke and a Jetsons joke, but I hear he used to be a pretty big name back in the day.

Overall, pretty great. A++ would party again.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I am skipping the office christmas party again this year, I don't want to break my streak of not drinking around coworkers I'm not really friends with

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Go-Live for first client in consulting gig went off with minimum issues. My direct report described it as the most painless go-live for a client he's seen.

http://youtu.be/btPJPFnesV4

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I always feel bad about no going to the Christmas parties, but they always have them at terribly inconvenient times for me.

It's not really worth it for me to go if it's on a day when I have 12 hours between shifts, it's two hours into that time and I'm going to be stuck in traffic going to it.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Day 3, so far so interesting. It's been amusing because everyone has guessed that I'm 22 and fresh out of college. Which makes them really surprised when I start talking about my work history.

And mention I'm 30.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Dear temporary supervisor. You arn't my supervisor, you are filling in because my boss is light on work for me. I told you this morning, the minute that you walked in, that I was in the office at 6:30 and I would be leaving early to study for a certification exam tomorrow morning that i am very worried and stressed about. This will better my career and help me do better at my job, it benefits you if i pass this exam. So am leaving a bit early to calmly review my exam prep.

So dont you dare fucking give me extra work to do at 3:30 right before i am about to leave.

Oh whats that, WHAT DID YOU JUST DO? Oh, you just gave me a whole extra hour of busywork because you are too lazy to print something.

Oh now you are throwing a fit because I told you I have to leave at 4:30, after sticking around to help out with your bullshit.

Fuck you so much you gone girl psychopath.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    9 DAYS TILL WINTER BREAK AND TWO WEEKS OF CLOSED SCHOOL.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    Hey guys I need some advice. I've been feeling bummed out at work. I’m a programmer for a startup and I realized over the past few months that I’m not passionate about this job. I rarely think about it in my spare time. I don't consider it a hobby. Not so with my co-workers.

Sometimes it feels like I’m the slowest worker and have the least sophisticated ideas. I don’t like feeling that way because there are things I’m passionate about and I love reading and learning new things.

Maybe I’ve chosen the wrong career path? But then again there are many different aspects to tech industry, maybe I’m not in the right one?

A friend of mine says “that’s life.” Am I making any sense or am I just burned out?

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    I dont work in programming but here is my 2 cents. Its perfectly normal and probably more healthy to not consider work your hobby, and it is a good, even great thing to NOT think about work during your nonworking hours. Its ok to be the slowest, you just need to get around the competitive nature of trying to get things done quickly.

I would just try to get into the things that you are really interested in after work. If you can work those things into work all the better.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Maybe you just don't like that job?

I like my job fine but I don't think about work outside of work. That's the point of not being at work. And I work for a small Silicon Valley company.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    xraydog wrote: »
    Hey guys I need some advice. I've been feeling bummed out at work. I’m a programmer for a startup and I realized over the past few months that I’m not passionate about this job. I rarely think about it in my spare time. I don't consider it a hobby. Not so with my co-workers.

Sometimes it feels like I’m the slowest worker and have the least sophisticated ideas. I don’t like feeling that way because there are things I’m passionate about and I love reading and learning new things.

Maybe I’ve chosen the wrong career path? But then again there are many different aspects to tech industry, maybe I’m not in the right one?

A friend of mine says “that’s life.” Am I making any sense or am I just burned out?

You could be in the wrong position. Some people like startup culture, some people don't. Keep experimenting. The nice thing about being a programmer is that as long as you're decent, you should have no issues finding a job.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    "Hey, I know we posted a 1.5 page job description but we're really not entirely sure what we're looking for. So this could be awhile, alright?"

Ffffffffffffffffffffff.....

Hire me and I'll sort out exactly what the role should do. Though...they have had 5 people in it in the last 2 years.

Hello warning bells, I am deaf to your bullshit.

...and other duties as required.

• Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    The switch to a different aspect in an industry was huge for me. I do roughly the same work if I am being honest. The goal and focus is different here, which is why I seem to enjoy work now.

I was actually excited about work because of the research I finished today. At the other two places, that never happened.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Christmas party was pretty sweet. Best view i've seen of the city yet. Pretty good steak. Two drink tickets, for some pretty nice cocktails. 25$ target card. Comedian. Though the comedian did make a cold war joke and a Jetsons joke, but I hear he used to be a pretty big name back in the day.

Overall, pretty great. A++ would party again.

Who was the comedian?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I am now in charge of two teams of people at work

and because I am a monster, I decided to call them Team 1 and Team C

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    xraydog wrote: »

Like was already mentioned, the fact that you don't think about work outside of work, or that you don't consider it your hobby, isn't in any way a bad thing or a strike against you or the work you're doing. If anything, being overly obsessed with/committed to work can lead to a variety of problems in both your personal and professional life.

What I think you should focus on is, how do you feel about your job when you are at work? If possible, try not to compare yourself to your teammates - they may seem "faster" but might not necessarily be doing better work, and while their ideas may seem more sophisticated that doesn't mean they're the best ideas. More importantly, do you enjoy what you're doing while you're doing it? That's really the only metric you need to look at. If you honestly look at it and see that maybe you're just not responding to the work, then yeah you might be burned out/in the wrong area of your industry. But it's totally natural and healthy to not think about work outside of work (regardless of what start-ups or any other business wants you to believe) and it's totally normal to not be at the top of the heap in your office.

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    Day 3, so far so interesting. It's been amusing because everyone has guessed that I'm 22 and fresh out of college. Which makes them really surprised when I start talking about my work history.

And mention I'm 30.

This happens to me too.. I'm 32 and still get mistaken for 23-24 depending on whether I've shaved or not.

Also, my company's holiday party is going to be here http://www.culverhotel.com/

I'm super excited to get shit faced in a nice suit

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ya the day I found out most people at work thought I was 26, was both happy at first, then sad as I then had to inform them the truth.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Same thing here. People think I'm in my teens then get confused when I talk about my degree and 9 years industry experience.

Oh, and @xraydog‌ , eff the attitude that you have to make your work your hobby and think about it 24/7. It's cliché but some people live to work and others work to live. Some of the best programmers I've worked with don't even think about the office during their time off. It allows them to come in fresh and relaxed and reset ready to face whatever issues they come across, instead of stewing over the slightest issues all weekend. I've got a wife, kid and dog and the last thing I want to be doing in my free time is worrying about work - there's just too much life happening in the meantime. Never feel bad for not being "passionate" and making work your hobby. It works for some but not everyone.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

"What happened to team B/2?"

"Deadline"

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I am away from home for college right now, about 7ish hours away and working at a local movie theatre. It's a really good job and I like my coworkers but I've hit a snag.

The one time I go home in the year to see my family is Christmas, so I told my manager a few weeks ago that I was planning on booking December 20th - January 2nd off and asked if that was okay. He responded with, "Well... we are going to be letting people go in January and that is a lot of time to book off." So I told him I'd change my availability to full time in the two weeks before I left to hopefully help balance it out. He agreed that would help. I had this conversation with him twice.

We have a small black scheduling book we use to write down things like this as well. So, I wrote that I was available full time every day December 5th-21st, and wanted the 22nd-2nd off. Then, this Sunday my manager made up the holiday schedules and misread what I wrote, thinking that I wanted the 5th-21st off and wanted to work the 22nd-2nd. He booked me for around 60 hours.

I came in today, saw this, and told my Assistant Manager that the schedule must be wrong. She phoned my manager who then told her that it was my mistake because I wrote it wrong and he wasn't changing the schedule.

Basically I see it coming down to two solutions, a) I don't work those shifts because he corrects the schedule/gives me the time off or b) I don't work those shifts and I quit/get fired. I would be willing to compromise a bit but my manager is stubborn.

Any suggestions?

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

Name them "Best Team A1 all the cool people" and "Leftover rabble"

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Also, are WoD heroics easy mode? I remember cata heroics being harder than this.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    I am away from home for college right now, about 7ish hours away and working at a local movie theatre. It's a really good job and I like my coworkers but I've hit a snag.

The one time I go home in the year to see my family is Christmas, so I told my manager a few weeks ago that I was planning on booking December 20th - January 2nd off and asked if that was okay. He responded with, "Well... we are going to be letting people go in January and that is a lot of time to book off." So I told him I'd change my availability to full time in the two weeks before I left to hopefully help balance it out. He agreed that would help. I had this conversation with him twice.

We have a small black scheduling book we use to write down things like this as well. So, I wrote that I was available full time every day December 5th-21st, and wanted the 22nd-2nd off. Then, this Sunday my manager made up the holiday schedules and misread what I wrote, thinking that I wanted the 5th-21st off and wanted to work the 22nd-2nd. He booked me for around 60 hours.

I came in today, saw this, and told my Assistant Manager that the schedule must be wrong. She phoned my manager who then told her that it was my mistake because I wrote it wrong and he wasn't changing the schedule.

Basically I see it coming down to two solutions, a) I don't work those shifts because he corrects the schedule/gives me the time off or b) I don't work those shifts and I quit/get fired. I would be willing to compromise a bit but my manager is stubborn.

Any suggestions?

Well, did you write it down wrong? Because if not it should be pretty easy to prove he screwed up.

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    vegeta_666 wrote: »

Any suggestions?

Well, did you write it down wrong? Because if not it should be pretty easy to prove he screwed up.

I wrote it down in a way that I can understand how he would misread it (but not wrong necessarily), but even still there were the two prior conversations I had with him. He could have phoned me while making the schedule and double checked, having two long conversations about booking Christmas off and then writing down I wanted to work as much as I can during Christmas doesn't make much sense.

Either way, even if I did prove he screwed up (which there were witnesses to one of the conversations), I can't go above his head really. It's a chain of theatres but a small one and I think we have a District Manager but in the 8 months I've worked here I've never met him and he's never visited.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Also, are WoD heroics easy mode? I remember cata heroics being harder than this.

Depends on how much gear grinding your boss will let you do when he fires your ass for playing videogames at work.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    My tip for the day is to learn to not procrastinate
    Otherwise you might stay up all night writing the worst essay ever and praying the professor gives you a 50
    Christ I am terminally stupid

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    If its any consolation, I've done that a bunch and I am super smart.

broken image link
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    God save me from passengers who exchange a ticket for a cancelled flight nine times over a period of twelve days for a one way trip from LAX to SFO.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Perhaps they feel they've been wronged by the airline and that's their form of revenge?

This discussion has been closed.