As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I spent 90 hours at the [job] thread last week and all I got was this lousy paycheck

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Love when someone loses my work and that becomes my entire day.

Perfect.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Okay, so I decided to try and quit smoking; only one day so far and I've gone from most of a pack to less than half a pack.

To take the place of cigarettes, I've got it down to a choice between heroin and some kind of healthy snack like dried fruit or wheat crackers. Since HEB doesn't carry heroin, I guess I'll be getting snacks.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Soo... I've been working for a large company in roughly the same position as a second level help desk support/software developer for the last 11 years. It's been pretty much the only job ive had since i graduated college with an IT degree.

The work is okay...tends to get repetitive and at times boring. My pay is probably lower then my experience suggests i should be paid but its a rock solid position as long as i dont fuck up massively, i get good benefits and my 401k has shot upward in the last few years mostly due to the stock plan. In other words i could probably live with it for the rest of my working life. I dont doubt that the possibility to move up into a full time programmer is in the cards over the next few years.

The problem I feel i have with this position is that while im getting some good experience that could apply to other companies if i needed to change jobs (unix experience, shells, database administration), there is also a lot of stuff that is very propriatory in nature and i feel would not really translate well. (We use what i would describe as a very obscure database language that very few companies use...a lot of the confidence i have in my duties are related to how familiar i am with what we use, not so much because i feel i am an excellent programmer.). I guess what i mean is that i feel like im in only a slightly better position to get another job elsewhere then i would be if i had just walked out of college with a degree.

This past weekend a former contractor that I've worked with and kept a personal friendship with after he left the company invited me over and was talking about a business hes putting together with a partner and while im hardly experienced in this area, he seemed to be suggesting that he might have a position available in the near future for someone with my skills.

I guess im feeling kind of wary. I realized hes still getting things setup, and im absolutely not going to leave the solid job i have right now until he has established his business. But I guess i have to wonder just how to tell when that point is.

Hes got a few things going for him...I'm not the type to be suckered easily by a sales pitch. One thing that makes me wary is that hes got a shitload of self-confidence and I tend to be more modest and reserved about my ablities both socially and from an employement standpoint. is someone with 10 years experience like me really that hard sought after in the field that I should expect to start getting these kinds of offers at this point in my career?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Okay, so I decided to try and quit smoking; only one day so far and I've gone from most of a pack to less than half a pack.

To take the place of cigarettes, I've got it down to a choice between heroin and some kind of healthy snack like dried fruit or wheat crackers. Since HEB doesn't carry heroin, I guess I'll be getting snacks.

I drank tea. And boy I drank a lot of tea.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Tea seems like a really good alternative, we have a hot water spigot downstairs in the cafeteria and it's Winter and all.

Edit: This beef jerky ain't gonna cut it, way too much sodium.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Go to Davids and buy some ridiculously delicious blends.
    Mix and match them even.

There's one here someone brought in called cookie dough. It's awesome.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    If there is one thing I both love and hate, it is being told by your superior to do the impossible.

Like... gaining access to private Facebook Page data about their users. There is only so much you can glean from the public feed before you need administrator access to the rest of the data.

Short of phoning up NSA or Facebook, I don't see how that is possible.

• Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

Oof. Good luck, man. I quit 6 or 7 years ago. Weirdly strong-flavored gum (like Clove or Blackjack) helped me out a bit. So maybe there's that.
    Edit: This beef jerky ain't gonna cut it, way too much sodium.

Good call. I developed a nasty pretzel habit doing the same.

wrong_button on
  • Options

Oof. Good luck, man. I quit 6 or 7 years ago. Weirdly strong-flavored gum (like Clove or Blackjack) helped me out a bit. So maybe there's that.

Altoids are my jam.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Yogo wrote: »
    If there is one thing I both love and hate, it is being told by your superior to do the impossible.

Like... gaining access to private Facebook Page data about their users. There is only so much you can glean from the public feed before you need administrator access to the rest of the data.

Could it be time to start sending a lot of friend requests?

El Skid on
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »

Could it be time to start sending a lot of friend requests?

One would think so, but I actually framed the issue incorrectly. It is about the users, but it is their interaction with the page(s) in question which is the data we want.

But only the Page administrators can see that data. Unless Facebook allows cheating (special API's for special $$$ people), then no business/social tool can see private page info without administrator access.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Since HEB doesn't carry heroin, I guess I'll be getting snacks.

I believe the current street name is 'world of warcraft.' Check back and they'll know what you mean.

But more seriously, good luck. My mother just had a huge scare with a mass on her lung that happened to show up when they were doing an x-ray for something else. Turned out it was benign, but my parents are actually fuckin' quitting now (finally). It was a terrifying couple of days (weeks for them, but they waited to tell us because parents are like that).

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Okay, so I decided to try and quit smoking;

Be specific in your language. You're not trying to quit smoking. You've quit smoking. You're a non-smoker. You don't smoke.

When it comes to things like this, "trying" really is the first step on the road to failure. Build a strong mental image of yourself as someone who doesn't smoke. Sounds goofy, but it works.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    welp got an 85 on that essay
    I don't who what the world no more no sir

• Options
    One of the reasons vegans won't shut up about it is that it's really, really hard to live a vegan lifestyle and successful vegans have to make it a part of their identity to do so. This applies to a bunch of other stuff.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I've read things along the lines of that Tube. Also things like writing down definitive statements when setting a goal, so it's not "I will" or "I want to" but "I am" as you said. There was also stuff about changing the environment, like putting weights in your walking path so you can't avoid them, but I'm not sure how effective this is. A good step would be tossing out cigarettes completely though.

Also I hear Altoids and it makes me think of those lemon/melon flavored hard candies in the similar tins. Maybe they were made by Altoids, I don't know, but I can't remember their name and haven't found them in years.

• Options
    Thanks everybody, you guys are the bee's tits.

Knees.

I meant knees.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

Gotta love the "we cannot get this information unless we are, in fact, a judge" conversation with bosses over stuff like that, complete with the blank look of "wait, I can't just Management my way through this?" incomprehension in numerous cases...

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I have 3 different useless meetings about the same project today. So in the first meeting, I asked the project manager what we were meeting for.

"Oh, I want to go over the project status and try and identify any roadblocks so we can remove them."

My biggest roadblock is that I'm stuck in meetings instead of working on the project!

mRahmani on
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I'm quickly reaching a point in my "teaching" career where I can't stand children

not the more-or-less regular ones, who get taken on as clients in my building, see how bad life can really get, get their shit together inside of six months to a year, and move on with their lives

I mean the ones who get caught sneaking cigarettes in on pass five times in a row, or can't for the life of them understand why they're getting in trouble for threatening to cut anyone who comes near their backpack (again), or says that something-they-could-have-done-different when they called one of my co-workers a bitch is to have called her a dumb floozy cunt instead, or have discharged from this place repeatedly only to end up back in the system less than a month later on the same exact shit, with the same exact excuses

most days it just feels like the second group seriously outnumbers the first group, and my empathy after doing this shit nearly seven years feels like it's been worn down to the nub. oh, you can't stop assaulting staff every time they tell you no and insist on shouting that everyone who gives you negative feedback is a faggot after three years of one-to-one support, daily therapy sessions, family therapy and OT? fuck you...go to jail or get hospitalized, so we can devote resources to the kids who actually want to get better

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Sounds like you can't stand teenagers. It's okay, teenagers are the worst.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    This was the image in the Christmas card I got from Robert today:

252vcqthejhw.jpg

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    At this point I really don't care about the holidays, I just want it to be January

My goal for next year is to not have to work 14 hour shifts day-of-holiday

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Well its not inaccurate.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    This was the image in the Christmas card I got from Robert today:

252vcqthejhw.jpg

Have you told LewieP yet?

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular

Have you considered a MMO?

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular

@Darth Waiter if you want something to do with your hands you could take up knitting.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I got berated at my job at a technical helpdesk for not being a lawyer.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    The first time I quit I found that lolipops helped a bunch. Something to do with your hands and the familarity of putting something in/out of your mouth.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    So I spoke with the HR lady and it went really well! We both acknowledged that the creepy guy's actions were inappropriate for the workplace and that my being comfortable here was paramount. She asked if I wanted her to speak with him and remind him of what is appropriate conduct for work, but I said that because of the apology and the distance he has been giving me (especially since I responded to his follow-up attempts at conversation with some very stilted language) that I'm okay with holding off on any direct action unless he does anything else that's inappropriate. She encouraged me by saying that she appreciated how I reported things in such detail and also mentioned that my bosses are incredibly happy with my work. She also said that none of the upper management would condone the kind of behaviour the guy displayed in any way and would be behind me 100% if any further misbehaviour happened.

So yay! I reported things and it went over pretty smoothly. Success!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Your company continues to be awesome.

Because water slides aren't enough.

You need to be decent people too.

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »

@Darth Waiter if you want something to do with your hands you could take up knitting.

Thank you for the advice! I'm working on a couple of small projects at home, stuff with cutting tools I can't bring to work, but I'm picking up a book soon on ropes and knots so I can practice when I go camping or hiking.

• Options
    Yukira wrote: »

I've already decided against heroin, thank you very much.

• Options

I've already decided against heroin, thank you very much.

But you can come play WoW with us~!

• Options
    Noooo FF14 with meeeeeee.

• Options
    Noooo FF14 with meeeeeee.

I believe custom now dictates that we must make war upon each other.

• Options
    But WoW has that Pip guy and who would want to group with him?

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Also, are WoD heroics easy mode? I remember cata heroics being harder than this.

Depends on how much gear grinding your boss will let you do when he fires your ass for playing videogames at work.

Well that was put in the wrong thread

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    What does a WoW vs FF14 fight even look like? Night Elf vs Cat Girl dance off? Or maybe a gnome-lalafell slap fight.

• Options
    Gnome/Lalafel cook-off.

Best kabobs wins.

This discussion has been closed.