As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suns out, guns out [Strength Training]

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I ripped the fuck out of a massive callous on my pinky while rock climbing

It's dangling on

I put a bandage over it

What should I do about this in specific / any general callous care tips

Superglue the ripped callous back down. It'll hurt like a bitch but you'll be able to use the hand about 15 minutes later.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

It's dangling on

I put a bandage over it

Superglue the ripped callous back down. It'll hurt like a bitch but you'll be able to use the hand about 15 minutes later.

egh was fine for the remainder of my climbing with a bandaid and then when i got home i followed that ripped callus guide and trimmed it off

not deadlifting till monday anyway and i can just tape it up for that i guess

poo
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Sup Strength Training thread, and thank you. You beasts of varying size motivated me to not be a fatso anymore, and specifically to actually pay attention to what I eat when I lift, and that SS and GSLP are not excuses to eat unlimited cheese fries because 'lawl eat big get big'

In the last month I actually started counting calories like i'm rainman, putting food on a scale, and making sure I eat 160grams of protein daily. There have been days when I didn't do this, but for the most part i've gone from not caring at all about calories and macros, to actually keeping it in mind at all times.

Shockingly a proper diet in addition to strength training makes a significant difference in body composition Earlier this year I was at about 230-235 lbs, and unable to squat 180. Today I woke up weighing 198 lbs. I deadlifted 295 for reps at the gym last weekend, and just squatted 200 for reps. This is literally the first time in my life I squatted bodyweight for reps. I haven't weighed 190 since the summer of 2011. When I did, I tried to bench 135 and pinned myself to the bench in an empty gym. My last to bench sessions ended in 170 for 10, and 175 for 8. I'm slowly working my way back up on GSLP. Who knew when you eat more than 50 grams of protein a day ( I swear I thought I was getting way more then that) you can actually get stronger on a calorie deficit.

The downside is none of my uniforms fit properly now, and I'm going to have to wait a week for the tailors to alter to my new ones. My current short term goals are to literally hulk out of those uniforms by the end of summer 2015, and to get a 1000lb+total in a powerlifting competition next year. The long term goal is to to become a certified freak beast with arms the size of legs, and legs the size of people who have arms the size of legs.

To show my thanks, here is Kokylaev singing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCPz3vGoGMc

CangoFett on
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

It's dangling on

I put a bandage over it

This is why climbers bring finger tape along

31XsFfoEotL._SY355_.jpg

Whack it on at the start of callous damage and then carry on climbing.

• Options
    Indeed I am a novice at climbing but I'm gonna pick some of those up, plus some things to file down the callouses / keep em moisturized

I trimmed this one cuz it was basically all torn off, did the salt water soaking thing

Is healing and I taped it up for deadlifting right now (in the middle of my warmup)
    Can't say it's pleasant but it'll be fine

poo
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I've been trying to really focus on sitting back during my squats to try and address some hip impingement pains I was getting in the hole. Yesterday I tried box squats for the first time. My butt is sore

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Welp

Guess we'll see how the strength training affects my snowboarding since it is snowing tomorrow and Wednesday and I don't have a job and I can go snowboarding on Wednesday and it will be empty

At the dinky shit mountain but whatev

poo
  • Options
    ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    Got a couple vids of my bench. Different sets but these are the first three reps in sets of five at 190. I had him kill vid at three in case I needed a spot for final two. I am still hovering around 165-170 in weight.

Advice? Are these useful angles?
    190x5: http://youtu.be/FsIrFvuWHCc

190x5: http://youtu.be/ynvy6-fmKx0

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »

It's dangling on

I put a bandage over it

This is why climbers bring finger tape along

31XsFfoEotL._SY355_.jpg

Whack it on at the start of callous damage and then carry on climbing.

Tape is for jamming not for grabbing and crimping.

Your best bet is to trim and sand.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2014
    You elbows are too far out. Try for an angle of 45 or less (chest to arm), and let that decide grip distance. Also, when your arms flare out at the end of a rep like that you're cruising into shoulder injury territory. Elbows in, all the time, forever.

A duck! on
  • Options
    Speaking of callouses

I was watching this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otorSGl3sG0

Can training ever make me have a manly voice like Donny Shankle

:<

poo
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Speaking of callouses

I was watching this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otorSGl3sG0

Can training ever make me have a manly voice like Donny Shankle

:<

No. Smoke an entire pack of unfiltered cigarettes a day, and eventually you'll sound kind of like that, though.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    ToddJewell wrote: »
    Got a couple vids of my bench. Different sets but these are the first three reps in sets of five at 190. I had him kill vid at three in case I needed a spot for final two. I am still hovering around 165-170 in weight.

Advice? Are these useful angles?
    190x5: http://youtu.be/FsIrFvuWHCc

190x5: http://youtu.be/ynvy6-fmKx0

Right off the bat you need to get tighter, way tighter.

The idea is to have every muscle in your body involved. Personally, I like having my toes underneath me to get a nice arch but some people do with their feet flat.

Also, So you think you can bench on YouTube is a really good series that helped me a ton

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Have I mentioned how amazing my wife is? I come home from work to see a big ol' EliteFTS box in the garage. I'll have to see what we're adding to the House of Quads.

• Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    I can't think of any useful exercises aside from prehab that you could do with those easier than you could do a bw equivalent.

• Options
    Yes. This will do very nicely. I was thinking of doing boring but big now that my 5 rep max was back to 400 and the 10x10 on the squats is hell on my elbows.

a8ZmC0I.jpg

Wcyvvq0.jpg

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Tube wrote: »

You might get some use out of the red band for doing bicep curls, maybe?

If you could hold like 6 of the red bands each side between your feet and your hands and you held your hands by your shoulders, you could do squats for some benefit?

Maybe get a pair (or four) of these instead: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Mountain-Products--Pounds-Resistance/dp/7245456267/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1418228262&sr=1-4 ?
    EDIT: damnit I mean the green ones, you stupid URL!

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    Snowboarded yesterday

Nothing intense, took it easy, but am basically not sore at all today

So I guess there is something to strength training applications

Fucking rad

poo
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Did the first two weeks of a Smolov cycle. The real fun starts next week.

I'm doing it for squat, bench and shoulder presses all at once.

This is possibly stupid. I'm doing it anyway.

I'll report back with results after the first 4 week mesocycle.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    I have an idea on how it will go, but give it a try. You doing all the same volume for every exercise or are you staggering the days?

You might want to check out a Sheiko routine, maybe #40 if you want to do everything.

• Options
    Same volume.

And I have no idea how it will go. My base weight is actually only 90% of my max on all of the workouts since I've never done such a high volume program before. I want to get results, but I don't want to go so high on the weight that I fail out before I can finish the sets.

I'm not expecting crazy gains like some people claim since I'm going lighter, but I'm cleaning up my diet, upping my protein and carb intake and going after the first 4 weeks as hard as I can.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    That will be some long ass workouts. I did the Jr for squat and rarely had time for anything else

• Options
    Draken50Draken50 Registered User regular
    I just started doing 5/3/1 with boring but big. At the moment I've got basically the best recovery possible as I can just constantly eat meat drink milk, and sleep until noon if I want. Any thoughts on assistance stuff I can add? I've been adding 3 sets of dips and pull ups to the bench and press days I'm not really sure what's worthwhile to add.

Goals are around moving more weight, not really concerned with size, but I'm not worried about getting bigger either.

• Options
    Same volume.

And I have no idea how it will go. My base weight is actually only 90% of my max on all of the workouts since I've never done such a high volume program before. I want to get results, but I don't want to go so high on the weight that I fail out before I can finish the sets.

I'm not expecting crazy gains like some people claim since I'm going lighter, but I'm cleaning up my diet, upping my protein and carb intake and going after the first 4 weeks as hard as I can.

Can you do two workouts in a day? I'm going to bet that your shoulders and upper back will go first. So you can do the squats first and go in to the presses already worn down or you can do the presses first and go into the squats with a tired upper back. At a minimum I'd do some external rotations and internal rotations and some face pulls to try to keep your rotators in usable shape.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    This will be interesting.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    At least it's not deadlifts also.

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Blagh. Managed to tweak a trap and then have a hellish week at school, meaning I didn't lift for around two weeks.

Started a de-load on Wednesday and it feels like it's been forever. First time I've had DOMS in the latter half of the year.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    At least it's not deadlifts also.

I'm stupid, but I'm not that stupid.

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Reset front squats, did some volume, made sure to go as deep as I could. Felt way better than how I'd been doing them for a while now, and even though all I did was 5x5 I felt like my leg soreness had already set in before I left the gym.

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    What should I request for the holidays?

There aren't any big gaps in my gear. Belts (3" and 4"), shoes, voodoo floss, ab wheel, micro-plates.

Is there any small piece of gear that you feel has benefited your training? Right now I'm looking at:
    Fat Gripz (for funs)
    A gym bag that actually closes (recommendations?)
    The Strongest Shall Survive, The Purposeful Primitive

• Options
    edited December 2014
    The Stick.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    I have a the stick but I seem to use my foam roller / supernova ball more

How do you use your stick

I should prolly use it on my calves more

poo
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Sling Shot's pretty boss for bench training. Elbow sleeves, knee sleeves, keep dem joints lubed up.

• Options
    I use it on my legs and everywhere else when my gf can help. It's more convenient than the foam roller and easier to apply localised pressure.

• Options
    Fat Gripz are pretty nice if you want to do some thick bar work on presses and pulls.

• Options
    Did another comp yesterday. It wasn't a serious one so mostly just for fun and to coach others but I managed to get a snatch pr of 95 (+3kg) and a comp pb 132 CJ (+1kg) and pb total of 227kg. Only 23kg 'til I qualify for the London Open and 50 the English champs!... :\

• Options
    my deadlifts at 300 today sucked

massive back rounding

ugh

suppose should deload and try agen

poo
  • Options
    Marshall Johnson just did an 1102 geared squat.

http://youtu.be/j96eNmezr70

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Depth was pretty ok too, as geared squats go. Marshall is a capital M man.

This discussion has been closed.