Options

Now I have a [movies] thread, ho ho ho

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So the dynamic for the Ghostbusters reboot got revealed via the Sony Hack:
    The Ghostbusters work for the government, but unofficially as they cannot recognize that ghosts actually exist.

So the government, dunno if it is federal or city government, will publicly denounce the GB but then support them discreetly behind the scenes.

Also the villain is the ghost of a convicted murderer who Fieg wants to be played by Peter Dinklage

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Look, I'm of the belief that Billy Zane should be in every movie.

I've been watching Twin Peaks, and I just got to the episode where Billy Zane shows up

And I haven't seen him in ages, and was like, "WHOA Billy Zane is a handsome fuggin' dude." He's all lips and eyebrows but it totally works somehow

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I appreciate that you spoilered that Ghostbusters thing, @Blankzilla‌

I've been doing my level best to ignore any and all "news" coming out of the hack, and spoilering stuff makes it easier for me to avoid. Sometimes, even just the headline already tells me more than I'd like to hear about other people's business.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah, I am gonna start doing that with any hack stuff since some people have completely valid moral objections to reading anything in regards to it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I don't have anything to add to any conversations, I just wanted to pop in and say I love the new thread title.

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    that time of year for those hollywood reporter roundtables, I always enjoy these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xkh982zFm8

FAQ on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    One of my friends said that Premium Rush was going to be this generation's Hackers. And all I could think was "There's no way your fixie bullshit is getting anywhere near the magic that is Hackers."

Goddamn, I love me some Hackers.

Bicycle couriers: Motorcycle couriers that can't afford a motorcycle. Also for some reason weirdly self-important and very aggressive towards pedestrians when they're riding on footpaths.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    So the dynamic for the Ghostbusters reboot got revealed via the Sony Hack:
    The Ghostbusters work for the government, but unofficially as they cannot recognize that ghosts actually exist.

So the government, dunno if it is federal or city government, will publicly denounce the GB but then support them discreetly behind the scenes.

Also the villain is the ghost of a convicted murderer who Fieg wants to be played by Peter Dinklage

Man. I am continuing to have zero interest in the new Ghostbusters. This is a really weird place I find myself.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't think they could release any information that would make me disinterested in Ghostbusters because I just love that franchise so much.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I mean, if they said that one of the new Ghostbusters would be the child of Peter Venkman and a ghost played by Kellen Lutz I'd still want to see it.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I don't think they could release any information that would make me disinterested in Ghostbusters because I just love that franchise so much.

I was right there with you till the moment they said it would have no connection to the originals.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I mean, if they said that one of the new Ghostbusters would be the child of Peter Venkman and a ghost played by Kellen Lutz I'd still want to see it.

That would make me more likely to see it than the current setup

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

That would make me more likely to see it than the current setup

I would be there on opening night in full outfit!

• Options
    So would I...

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Reboots don't get to carry over my love for the original version, they have to earn it back from square one.

So I'm probably at least going to need to see a trailer or something before new Ghostbusters gets any interest from me.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    The social security numbers and private personal info, yeah, that stuff sucks

All the crazy goings-on behind Sony Pictures, though

That stuff is priceless

Do... Do you endorse the release of such information?

why not? do you not endorse any media leaks that happen, ever?

aside from the personal information, this is no different from that, when it comes to industry news.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    So my dad loves the movie A Christmas Story because it's a great movie and he's not a godless communist.

This year for Christmas, my sister managed to track down a replica of the leg lamp, scaled down to fit on an end table or nightstand.

He has no idea.

What's pissing me off is that I won't be there when he opens it up; hopefully the family will remember to take pictures.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    and the MPAA stuff that is coming out about "Goliath" is incredibly important and I hope it gets a ton of publicity.

Langly on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I saw those leg lamps at bed bath and beyond (it's near my doctors office and we were there really early)

• Options
    Langly wrote: »

That stuff is priceless

aside from the personal information, this is no different from that, when it comes to industry news.

Yes it is

this isn't a leak, its a hack

there's a significant difference

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    one comes from someone either carelessly blabbing or leaving information in the open

this is from a malicious attack on private information

they are different and should be treated as different

• Options

That stuff is priceless

Yes it is

both of those things are breaking the law, when a leak happens it is someone breaking an NDA and divulging information that they could be legally held accountable for.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over feeling pretty great about a movie executive making racist comments about the president being outed or a cabal of MPAA people pooling millions of dollars to try and literally kill the internet through insane but plausible court tactics being shoved out into the light.

• Options

That stuff is priceless

Yes it is

both of those things are breaking the law, when a leak happens it is someone breaking an NDA and divulging information that they could be legally held accountable for.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over feeling pretty great about a movie executive making racist comments about the president being outed or a cabal of MPAA people pooling millions of dollars to try and literally kill the internet through insane but plausible court tactics being shoved out into the light.

Just so I'm clear

its ok to break into people's private communications as long as you find bad things there

• Options
    The action itself is not ok but if it results in some good than maybe the other cheek should be turned?

• Options
    Also breaking an NDAs aren't breaking the law

breaking a contract is not illegal

this is breaking the law, and its a dangerous, dangerous thing to claim the ends justify the means

• Options
    Wait, 'kill the internet?' Who-the-what now?

• Options
    No, it is against the law, but if it happens and what's found there is significant and made public, I'm not going to pretend to turn my nose up at it or pretend it doesn't exist because the act was a breach of privacy. It is out there now, there's nothing to be done about it, and I'm not going to in one hand decry the act while on the other read through it and try to make the important stuff even more publicized. What's the point in that

It happened, it was illegal, but now that information is public and the useful stuff needs to be used and that's ok.

• Options
    The action itself is not ok but if it results in some good than maybe the other cheek should be turned?

Vigilantism, illegal search and seizure, search without warrant: all okay as long as it turns out it was needed

No I can't get behind that at all, sorry

its ok to recognize that the things it turned up are important but you should absolutely still condemn the act

• Options
    edited December 2014

"Goliath," the MPAA's term for (probably) google, is a concerted target for them and they are trying to get legislation passed in a long term plan that would give ISPs the ability to just turn off any website they chose that they decided was involved in copyright infringement. Which would start or be argued as simply about piracy, but wouldn't have to be and definitely wouldn't be for long.

Langly on
  • Options
    I'm not implying the person who committed the act shouldn't be punished, I'm just saying we shouldn't ignore the information just because it was obtained illegally.

• Options
    I'm not implying the person who committed the act shouldn't be punished, I'm just saying we shouldn't ignore the information just because it was obtained illegally.

I don't think anyone is saying that

That stuff is priceless

This is the part I took issue with

this sort of act should never be ENDORSED or approved of in any way

• Options
    I mean ok chincy i officially in my role as internet forum poster do not endorse the hacking of personal information

ok now that I have posted that on the internet and the world is back on track i guess i'll continue not caring and instead look at and talk about all the information i do not endorse

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    We all know this is really about Snowden

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

"Goliath," the MPAA's term for (probably) google, is a concerted target for them and they are trying to get legislation passed in a long term plan that would give ISPs the ability to just turn off any website they chose that they decided was involved in copyright infringement. Which would start or be argued as simply about piracy, but wouldn't have to be and definitely wouldn't be for long.

That is a cartoon supervillain level of greed, that's what that is.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    We all know this is really about Snowden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daJCg9yq3QM

• Options
    I mean ok chincy i officially in my role as internet forum poster do not endorse the hacking of personal information

ok now that I have posted that on the internet and the world is back on track i guess i'll continue not caring and instead look at and talk about all the information i do not endorse

The thing is it may not seem like it but these distinctions are important

ignoring the law where it's convenient is a precedent that scares the absolute shit out of me

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    One of my friends said that Premium Rush was going to be this generation's Hackers. And all I could think was "There's no way your fixie bullshit is getting anywhere near the magic that is Hackers."

Goddamn, I love me some Hackers.

Bicycle couriers: Motorcycle couriers that can't afford a motorcycle. Also for some reason weirdly self-important and very aggressive towards pedestrians when they're riding on footpaths.

Living and formerly working in a downtown core-

Bike couriers can quickly lock their ride up right outside a buildings entrance or sometimes even just roll their bike inside with them if the job doesn't require leaving the lobby. If you're on a motorcycle or scooter, your completion time just went way up because now you have to mess with parking garage availability and fees.

• Options

That is a cartoon supervillain level of greed, that's what that is.

That is exactly what it is, yes, and they have the patience to progress down a series of expensive court battles to make it reality, unless people just keep shoving their shit in, and they are forced to adapt.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Holy hell

Starting this Friday, the 4 dollar theater will have

Big Hero 6
    Gone Girl
    Interstellar
    and Whiplash

I could spend an entire day just knocking out half my "movies to see" list for less than 20 bucks

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I wish we had a second run theater here.

This discussion has been closed.