As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Holiday Webcomics!

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    That is a solidly amusing joke in that blasternation and if you don't think it is self aware as hell you're crazy

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Christ knows

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    crwth wrote: »
    P1yO2CF.png
    SS5dG5o.png

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I didn't like the Blaster Nation joke. It wasn't funny to me. It's hard to deconstruct why jokes work or don't work, but something about that one didn't.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It's not really a joke if it's the main character of the comic saying things that are completely in line with his previous opinions, actions, and personality. It's just another instance of him being an asshole.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    It's not really a joke if it's the main character of the comic saying things that are completely in line with his previous opinions, actions, and personality. It's just another instance of him being an asshole.
    I dunno, I haven't read the comic but dude in a santa costume screaming profanity in a kids face seems like the sort of thing that's intended to be satire
    if it was supposed to be in favor of this sort of thing they'd likely have the kid being the competitive player and the santa being the casual player

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Which is hilarious, especially because he's being an asshole to a little kid

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular

things don't gotta be out of character to be a joke

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It helps if they are funny though.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Today on Deconstructing Webcomics

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    it seems to me the joke is intended be basically "it's funny that he's an asshole"

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Stop talking about bad comics and instead talk about good comics.

In this case bad comics is everything that isn't Archime and good comics is, of course, Archime.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    I can't believe you guys are even floating the idea that that Blaster Nation isn't a joke

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Radius wrote: »

In this case bad comics is everything that isn't Archime and good comics is, of course, Archime.

But Archime is awful so

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Do you know what's a good comic? Wondermark. Here is an example I picked COMPLETELY AT RANDOM.

t753zasnyjnb.jpg

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

But Archime is awful so

this is a really bad opinion

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Machwing wrote: »
    I can't believe you guys are even floating the idea that that Blaster Nation isn't a joke

Oh, it's a joke alright

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I thought the joke was funny to me.

Also on an unrelated note, I went to the dentist today for my first ever sedation dentistry. I was a little groggy from the pill they gave me before I went in, and I remember they gave me like 5 pills to use. I was sitting there for like 15 minutes worrying if it was going to kick in

then I vaguely remember them saying I fell asleep, and the dude using the numbing needle and me not really noticing that much, and then me sort of telling him that the water drill still hurt a bit because of my sensitive teeth.

And then I woke up 9 hours later at home in my bed. Why the fuck have I not been doing it this way my whole life.

Twisted Mirrors

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options

But Archime is awful so

So's your face

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    dnrda8s.png

Blaster Nation (sometimes NSFW) is really good at portraying assholes

Hm

See

I appreciate this joke for what it is

But whenever Blasternation is posted here and it involves this character, it seems to be a retelling of this same joke

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular

But Archime is awful so

So's your face

are the mods asleep or something holy shit

• Options

But Archime is awful so

So's your face

are the mods asleep or something holy shit

owned

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    For the record, not keeping up with Archime

that Sandra comic needs to keep doing this gag for at least 2 or 3 more iterations before Sandra figures it out, every time making it increasingly clear to everyone involved what is going on

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    About the Lego conversation that just completed... The Research Institute set with the women scientists sold out very quickly. And I want to be able to get the set. I am sad they didn't make more, and wish they had more of that type of set in general. Instead of their girly sets. .. It sold out so quickly you'd think it would be worth their time.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

But Archime is awful so
    didn't you say you planned on buying Hatred

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    Does anything like that exist for 1960-2010?

oh here it is:

lHiXCt9.jpg

Time to write my chart topper single

Hell Yeah, We Fuck Die

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    About the Lego conversation that just completed... The Research Institute set with the women scientists sold out very quickly. And I want to be able to get the set. I am sad they didn't make more, and wish they had more of that type of set in general. Instead of their girly sets. .. It sold out so quickly you'd think it would be worth their time.

They did make more recently, and they sold out online very quickly. There are shipments of them going to LEGO Stores that should be stocked on December 21st, but not everyone has one of those nearby.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    2858.png

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    I'm really liking Claire's expressions in this one

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    maritzacmaritzac Registered User regular
    pnap20141217.jpg

Drew sez
    fuck middle-of-the-road approaches

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    That last panel and the way it interrupts the conversational flow - and how I only saw it when I scrolled down, ready to pick up the beat for more dialogue - could justify the existence of an entire webcomic

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    crwth wrote: »
    2858.png

He's so happy his hand grew back!
    And Claire totally looks like Pinkie Pie in that page

Vic on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Holy crap I did not notice the hand thing.

whoops.jpg

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    It's not that blasternation isn't self aware about its joke, it's that it hasn't yet researched a second one.

sig.gif
  • Options
    It's not that blasternation isn't self aware about its joke, it's that it hasn't yet researched a second one.

I don't think a lot of research was needed for that joke. Write what you know and all that.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    awful lot of casuals in this thread. . .

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

The author of Fanboys made this two months ago.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Judecca has nasty things in it
    176.jpg

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Is it time for bro club again?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwnrHSZ4-fk

This discussion has been closed.