As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ryan Davis Memorial Giant Bomb Thread

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    There's a good chance they're using the rule where the actual GotY can't win any platform specific awards.

Then it's not Hearthstone, Mario Kart, Mordor, Dark Souls 2, or Divinity

Good!

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Raiden is rad

get real

He has kind of a bad personality, but the dude has been manipulated his entire life, to an even worse degree than Snake

And all of the gameplay in MGS2 is designed to show that he is basically a more capable Snake

Just look at their basic move sets - Snake will do a little hop over a hand railing or lazily roll into his enemies, whereas Raiden will do a backflip over the railing or do a no-handed somersault for his evade.

Snake fights a Hind D, Raiden fights a Harrier

Snake has a fistfight against his rival, atop a structure, Raiden has a swordfight against his super-suited rival atop a structure

Snake takes down one Metal Gear and needs the assistance of Gray Fox to do so, Raiden takes down multiple Metal Gears on his own

Raiden rules

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Raiden is rad

get real

He has kind of a bad personality, but the dude has been manipulated his entire life, to an even worse degree than Snake

And all of the gameplay in MGS2 is designed to show that he is basically a more capable Snake

Just look at their basic move sets - Snake will do a little hop over a hand railing or lazily roll into his enemies, whereas Raiden will do a backflip over the railing or do a no-handed somersault for his evade.

Snake has a fistfight against his rival, atop a structure, Raiden has a swordfight against his super-suited rival atop a structure

Snake takes down one Metal Gear and needs the assistance of Gray Fox to do so, Raiden takes down multiple Metal Gears on his own

Raiden rules

Raiden is fine, I was just makin' a Drew mashing on R2 joke.

also a hind d is way scarier in that sort of fight. sort of why they exist! but video games.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I like both the Hind and Harrier fights a whole bunch

I think I prefer the Harrier fight though just because of the presentation

The sun-drenched look of the Big Shell exterior, the "twinkle" you could see in the distance if you tracked the Harrier and it started a bee line toward you, the echo effect they do on Solidus' voice, "You're tougher than I thought!" ("Tougher than I thought!")

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Raiden is rad

get real

Raiden rules

Raiden is fine, I was just makin' a Drew mashing on R2 joke.

also a hind d is way scarier in that sort of fight. sort of why they exist! but video games.

*adjusts glasses and pocket protector*

A Hind-D piloted by a guy skilled enough to engage two F-16s and win unscathed...we have no such feats from Vamp to gauge his effectiveness as a Harrier pilot.

As for Raiden taking down multiple Rays, I recall there being effects that hint at that all taking place in VR. Also, Solidus was able to disable one with sustained gunfire from a P90 so I question their effectiveness as anti-metal gear platforms.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I never really could figure out why people thought Vinny and Jeff's ads were funny

They were ads

Small business man was a good hook but it's not funny

Brad and Jeff's are no better or worse

The crunchyroll ad is the only funny one they've ever ever had because Jeff clearly thinks it is hilarious and is playing it up like crazy

• Options
    Raiden is rad

get real

Raiden rules

It was designed to be a more intense, exciting Metal Gear game than 1, not to show you Raiden is better than Snake. Everything had to be an octave higher.

Hell, one of Kojima's reasons iirc for not having you play Snake is that he's supposed to be much better than the player is capable of being while still having the game be fun.

• Options
    I feel like if that were the case, they just wouldn't have included the Tanker section

But it's in there

And they're deliberately showing you, through the gameplay and the narrative (Ocelot's speech about drowning in time) that Snake is old and falling out of his groove. And then that all culminates in MGS4

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    In the latest Metal Gear Scanlon Snake kinda owns it with the sniping.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    However, if Revengance doesn't count as showing that Raiden is better than Snake.....

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I never really could figure out why people thought Vinny and Jeff's ads were funny

They were ads

The crunchyroll ad is the only funny one they've ever ever had because Jeff clearly thinks it is hilarious and is playing it up like crazy

It's almost like different people might find different things funny or something.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Man, just listening to the podcast I don't think DA:I might even make TOP15. I do get the reasons but right now it's in my personal top 10.

Also, all this MGS talk got me in the mood and I just bought GZ. I might even try to get that MGSaga pack.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    However, if Revengance doesn't count as showing that Raiden is better than Snake.....

Better at being anime as fuck, maybe...

• Options

They were ads

It's almost like different people might find different things funny or something.

I don't really see why my statement necessitated a sarcastic reply but OK dude

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    What did Scoops play on Spookin' last night? No archive yet.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    nothing of note

i guess he dino crisis'd for a little bit

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh hey Jeff's on the Gamespot GOTY stream.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Shadows of Mordor takes GS's game of the year award. Interesting.

• Options
    Middle-earth is GameSpot's GOTY, which

Uh

Okay

I mean it's a great game but in a year full of really strong contenders that did not seem like the one

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I can't wait for someone to take the Nemesis system and make an actually fun game with it.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Man everyone keeps talking about that game. I wanted to play it after the holidays but at this rate I better make room in my hard drive and install the damn thing.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Shadow of Mordor is both my biggest surprise and probably my GOTY.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    It sounds neat, but I don't really want to reward WB after they ran LOTRO into the ground.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Mordor won despite their own categories saying Divinity is better

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    It's really, really fun, but 99% of the actual moment to moment gameplay is directly, and I mean directly, copied from other games, which also have interesting enemies and settings. I liked it, but it's the definition of a guilty pleasure game. Weird choice for the top spot.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Mordor won despite their own categories saying Divinity is better

Yeah, that makes no sense. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the PC version of Mordor, so I dont know what they were thinking.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Why are we arguing about the validity of someone's subjective opinion, again?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    IT'S GAME OF THE YEARRRRRRR

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    It's a typo, it says "Our Game of the Year" but it was supposed to read "Orc Game of the Year."

• Options
    Realistically, while seeming sort of weird, the game of the year awards are an editorial decision made by multiple people

Individual reviews, while being touched editorially by many people, are ultimately from one person

Multiple people coming to a different decision than one person isn't actually weird at all

It is just what happens you make a decision as a group

I would actually find it more odd if they chose based on score alone, because that is also saying that the decision of one reviewer decided the outcome of the entire site's collective choice

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    It's really, really fun, but 99% of the actual moment to moment gameplay is directly, and I mean directly, copied from other games, which also have interesting enemies and settings. I liked it, but it's the definition of a guilty pleasure game. Weird choice for the top spot.

Iterating on good mechanics doesn't make Mordor a bad game. And some of the abilities are new (at least to me) like pin in place, vault stun, last chance, brutalize (scare on stealth kill), resilience (take a hit without resetting your combo count), shadow mount, and the entire nemesis and branding systems felt unique to me. That the combat is influenced by the Arkham games isn't bad; the Arkham games have some of the best combat of the 360/PS3 generation.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    admanb wrote: »

It isn't that I think they're wrong, it's that they're inconsistent. Mordor won best XB1 and PS4 game, but not best PC game. Why? It's the exact same game and the PC version is a good port (likely the best version, even).

The larger issue is that best PS4/XB1/whatever awards are silly these days because almost everything is multiplatform.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »

Iterating on good mechanics doesn't make Mordor a bad game. And some of the abilities are new (at least to me) like pin in place, vault stun, last chance, brutalize (scare on stealth kill), resilience (take a hit without resetting your combo count), shadow mount, and the entire nemesis and branding systems felt unique to me. That the combat is influenced by the Arkham games isn't bad; the Arkham games have some of the best combat of the 360/PS3 generation.

Seriously, the combat is as fun as Batman, and the free world climbing is better than AC, so I'm not sure why having mechanics from a different game are supposed to be a strike against it. If some other game lifts the Nemesis system and makes it better, you're not gonna scoff and go "Yeah, but that's straight outta Mordor" if it gets GOTY so why do it the other way around?

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular

Internet.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

It isn't that I think they're wrong, it's that they're inconsistent. Mordor won best XB1 and PS4 game, but not best PC game. Why? It's the exact same game and the PC version is a good port (likely the best version, even).

The larger issue is that best PS4/XB1/whatever awards are silly these days because almost everything is multiplatform.

Divinity is their pick for best PC game, as in its the best game to play if you play primarily on a PC and are otherwise into the specific foibles that some games (like RPG's) have on that platform, especially when they're exclusive.

Shadow of Mordor is their pick for best game to play overall, for all platforms. Because it's their GotY for Xbone and PS4, and wasn't exactly shunned on PC. Divinity wasn't released on consoles, and probably wouldn't appeal to console players as much, so it has a harder time justifying the an overall GotY versus something with a broader impact.

Think of it like the forum GotY stuff, where a game can get less #1 votes, but still win because votes for #2, #3 etc. etc. are worth points too, and it got more of them.

• Options
    IT'S GAME OF THE YEARRRRRRR

Is it bad I read this quote in Jeff's TWEET OF THE WEEK voice?

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular

A best exclusive award would be cool. Sunset Overdrive versus inFamous, etc could be an interesting debate.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Yeah

GameSpot makes no sense sometimes

MK8 didn't even win best game of the month against a one trick pony shallow farce of a game like Super Time Force and then somehow beats Smash and Bayo 2 for Wii U GOTY

Okay sure

Has there been significant staff turnover this year over there?

Yes. In fact, almost everyone on the editorial staff was canned earlier this year.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular

They were ads

I don't really see why my statement necessitated a sarcastic reply but OK dude

Yeah, that was a bit dickish on my part. Sorry about that.

This discussion has been closed.