As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dragon Age: Inquisition] - Jaws Of Hakkon DLC out now for PC, XONE - others in May

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    There are a few times that small scale choices are carried over into larger consequences.

For example, at Crestwood

Adamant spoilers
    There's a lady who is saved by the Wardens. She wants to join up. You can encourage her to join the Wardens or tell her not to, and she'll follow your advice.

If she joins the wardens, you see her again at Adamant. Having her throat slit as a sacrifice. (If you don't do that quest then you see an old man take the sacrifice spot, an old friend of Warden Commander Clarel)

I agree however that there wasn't nearly enough of stuff like that in the game. :(
    Oh man, I'm glad I told her to stay the hell away. With all the hinky shit that was going down with the wardens I was positive that Stroud would have told her the same thing in my place.

Never gave it another thought after that though.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    So, DA Thread:

I've had Dragon Age Origins in my backlog forever. I figured I'd get on that. But I can't figure out what class I want to play.

Advice?

Are you on PC or console?

Edit: If PC, use this mod. Just... use it.

PC.. and.. REALLY?

That sounds hilarious. Kinda want to start without it to see if its really that bad.

Also, I think I'll go Rogue, because I do love bows. And lockpicking. Now I have to figure out my background.. so many choices.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I was going to start a replay of DA2 but then I remembered you can't jump in that game.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Just be aware that Dragon Age isn't, "Pick class, play the same story."

Your class affects what stories and races you can play and has some minor changes to plot points.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I can get behind that, MC.

Like the Ram meat and Ram hide quest in Hinterlands. Lets set aside the whole "Why the fuck am *I* hunting this stuff? I have people dont I?". There is no consequence one way or the other about these people starving and dying of exposure in the long scheme of things, aside from maybe getting '5 Inquisition Power'

There is no one saying, "Thank you for the food, we wouldn't have lasted." There are no kids in parkas so thick they can't put their arms at their sides. In truth, in the grand cosmic schemes of things these people are utterly insignificant to my quest of sowing up the torn asshole in the sky...

No one calls back to it and says, "Good job taking care of that town! I'm totes onboard the Inquisition doing good things for little people!"
    Or "Why did you let them die? Did you have the manpower to help them? You did, and you still didn't help? That's fucked up man..." "I didn't help them because I'm trying to stop the End of Days" "Well, still pretty bad situation man..."

There is none of that in a lot of the side quests. They don't help or hinder you they are just... there...

edit** It'd be phenominal if you didn't go Indiana Jonesing in the Hissing Wastes and EBB's forces got some widget that hurt your forces or made a later fight difficult.

Actually, very little of that is true, at least for the quests for the refugees. There are a few scattered groups camped around the Hinterlands; before you get the ram meat, there's a conversation where an old person has the equivalent of half a sandwich for dinner so a kid can get full, and after, there's a comment about getting more supplies, and nobody has to go hungry. Until you've done all the quests, Mother Giselle will tell you that the people in the Hinterlands are struggling; when you've finished, she says they're doing pretty okay, fed and protected. When you've gotten the food, blankets, bandit, mage and templar camps cleared, and a healer, Corporal Vale says that you've done well, and asks what you want the Crossroads settlement to stand for (your standard agent choice). Now, I'll grant you that the six or so quests related to the refugees take a while to do, and this doesn't happen so much for most other quests, but there was still a fair amount of effort put into reflecting the Herald's assistance.

• Options
    Oh, God damn. Lol.

I found this Gaider blog post while googling for that racist ass trash mod for Isabela.
    That’s the part that bugs me, and extends (to a degree) to the use of those appearance mods. Our team goes through great pains to make a character’s appearance be about telling that character’s story. Yes, sometimes the art team does play pretty fast and loose with the continuity of appearances between games, but any changes they make which aren’t done solely due to there being a new engine or due to alterations in the game’s overall aesthetic (as between DAO and DA2) are done to make that character more who they are.

It’s an argument we’ll have each time, deciding if changing it is better than keeping it the same simply for the sake of keeping it the same… and always it will be framed in whether or not the change tells a better story for that character. These characters are like real people to us. Concept artists like Matt Rhodes are extremely passionate about the part that art plays in telling their story—it can be, and often is, more potent than the words those characters are saying.

So Isabela looks like she does because that’s who she is. I don’t want to see her turned white and blonde even more than I want to see Aveline turned into a supermodel. I’m not going to tell anyone what they should or shouldn’t do with their own game—knock yourself out, if you think it improves your experience—but if you’re wondering how a developer would feel about that… what do you think? You’re saying you don’t want Aveline the character in your game, you want Aveline the barbie doll.

If you think the artists and writers wouldn’t take that a little personally, then I cannot wait until they release the mod to improve the appearance of your wife.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular

Your class affects what stories and races you can play and has some minor changes to plot points.

Yeah, Im aware.. thats why I agonize over the decisions.

SIGH.

I guess I can play other characters at some point... might as well just.. pick something

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Oh, God damn. Lol.

I found this Gaider blog post while googling for that racist ass trash mod for Isabela.
    That’s the part that bugs me, and extends (to a degree) to the use of those appearance mods. Our team goes through great pains to make a character’s appearance be about telling that character’s story. Yes, sometimes the art team does play pretty fast and loose with the continuity of appearances between games, but any changes they make which aren’t done solely due to there being a new engine or due to alterations in the game’s overall aesthetic (as between DAO and DA2) are done to make that character more who they are.

It’s an argument we’ll have each time, deciding if changing it is better than keeping it the same simply for the sake of keeping it the same… and always it will be framed in whether or not the change tells a better story for that character. These characters are like real people to us. Concept artists like Matt Rhodes are extremely passionate about the part that art plays in telling their story—it can be, and often is, more potent than the words those characters are saying.

So Isabela looks like she does because that’s who she is. I don’t want to see her turned white and blonde even more than I want to see Aveline turned into a supermodel. I’m not going to tell anyone what they should or shouldn’t do with their own game—knock yourself out, if you think it improves your experience—but if you’re wondering how a developer would feel about that… what do you think? You’re saying you don’t want Aveline the character in your game, you want Aveline the barbie doll.

If you think the artists and writers wouldn’t take that a little personally, then I cannot wait until they release the mod to improve the appearance of your wife.

The way he says that last line... I think there'd be a lot of people who would download that mod.

• Options

Yeah, Im aware.. thats why I agonize over the decisions.

SIGH.

I guess I can play other characters at some point... might as well just.. pick something

Human noble, city elf, dwarf noble are the superior origin stories IMO

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Natalie Dormer was reasonably hard to replicate. But I am pretty happy with Natalie Dwarfmer. Decided not to go with the side shaved head because I don't like DAI's version of it.
    8i35qo4btaft.jpg

r4gb2tce0du5.jpg

Bonus: picture of The Best Team of Super Inquisition Buddies.
    e4af9b04-0c53-49f8-8edd-52da8e114a48.jpg

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Ooh, here's my current Elfquisitor. I think he came out really well.
    nLplORb.jpg
    A5Q3MAD.jpg
    It was shockingly hard to get a screenshot of him where he wasn't mid-blink.

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    Oh my god these companion quests requiring me to use the war table are killing me

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    Josephine's quest is so stupid

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I have yet to be able to make an elf dude that doesn't look like a 15 year old boy.

On the plus side, my human dude is pretty pretty.
    9EvD6sz.jpg

cRt7mXD.jpg

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Ok.

I now know what the best banter in the game is.

Post-Iron Bull personal quest spoilers:
    Cole: "Tama, how will I follow the Qun?" Her hands, strong but gentle, rubs the stubs where the horns will be.
    Cole: "You are strong, and your mind is sharp. You will solve problems others cannot." She smiles, but sadly.
    Iron Bull: Looks like my old Tamassran was wrong. Bet she's pissed one of her kids went Tal-Vashoth.
    Cole: Agents with hushed tones. Eyes stinging. Forms to fill out, course corrections. Reduce risk of similar losses.
    Cole: I remember the little boy, too wise, eager to help. Words break in small, secret spaces. He got away. He got away.
    Iron Bull: How could you know that? You've never even met her.
    Cole: Your hurt touches hers.
    Iron Bull: Well, that's, uh, creepy, but... Thanks.

I got it off the wiki, because in over 200 hours playing the game across three characters that dialog has never once popped. Not that banter is in any bugged of course...

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Cole is like, the greatest character in DA:I imo.

His mix of insight, naivete, murder and compassion, and his "mirror" trope just tickles me something fierce.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Cole is great. Weekes did an amazing job, and goddamn did they hit the jackpot with the voice actor.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Ok.

Cole: "Tama, how will I follow the Qun?" Her hands, strong but gentle, rubs the stubs where the horns will be.
    Cole: "You are strong, and your mind is sharp. You will solve problems others cannot." She smiles, but sadly.
    Iron Bull: Looks like my old Tamassran was wrong. Bet she's pissed one of her kids went Tal-Vashoth.
    Cole: Agents with hushed tones. Eyes stinging. Forms to fill out, course corrections. Reduce risk of similar losses.
    Cole: I remember the little boy, too wise, eager to help. Words break in small, secret spaces. He got away. He got away.

I got it off the wiki, because in over 200 hours playing the game across three characters that dialog has never once popped. Not that banter is in any bugged of course...
    "He got away. He got away."

I guess you can take that in either of two ways, but the way I take it is she was glad he escaped from the Qun. I know the idea of it sounds neat to some of the deet doot people, but everything about the Qun sounds like nightmare fuel to me. I severed Bull's ties to the Qun and never felt even slightly bad about it. Doing him a favor.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Hilariously, if you shit talk Cailan in the camp at Ostagar, Loghain will sternly rebuke you, saying Cailan is young, and still has a lot of learning to do.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Speaking of clownsuits...
    hrcHKiB.png

I'm so sorry Dorian

Melkster on
  • Options
    Ok.

All of his post-companion quest banters are great.

Blackwall
    Blackwall: Cole, if you knew what I am, what I'd done, why didn't you tell the others?
    Cole: Everyone hides dead things. Everyone pretends. You wanted to fix it.
    Blackwall: I'm a murderer.
    Cole: You don't want to be. You made a new you. You are Blackwall. You killed Rainier.
    Blackwall: If only that were possible.
    Cole: You would stand between Rainier and the carriage. But you can't. It doesn't work like that. So you carry the bodies to remember.
    Blackwall: I suppose I do.

Cassandra
    Cole: It's you, Cassandra. Breathing from the belly, cold air warmed, stones beneath me, candle before me, Maker all around. Then nothing, empty, I'm cut, cauterized, then caught, cleansed by a light that carries me home. You're thinking backwards. You don't have faith because of the spirit. The spirit came because of your faith. It's you.
    Cassandra: Thank you, Cole. I appreciate that.

Dorian
    Cole: Dorian, you said I could ask you questions.
    Dorian: It's true. I did say that.
    Cole: Why are you so angry at your father? He wants to help and you know he does, but -
    Dorian: I'm not certain I can explain it to you.
    Cole: You love him, but you're angry. They mix together, coiling in the belly until it kneads into a knot.
    Dorian: Sometimes love isn't enough, Cole.
    Cole: Love isn't enough? Isn't enough what? You didn't explain, Dorian.
    Dorian: I was rather hoping I had.
    Cole: His face in the stands, watching as I pass the test. So proud there's tears in his eyes. I'd do anything to make him happy, anything. Why isn't that true anymore?
    Dorian: Cole, this isn't the sort of discussion for walking around. Please drop it.
    Cole: I'm hurting you, Dorian. Words winding, wanting, wounding. You said I could ask.
    Dorian: I know I did. The things you ask are just very personal.
    Cole: But it hurts. I want to help, but it's all tangled with the love. I can't tug it loose without tearing it. You hold him so tightly. You let it keep hurting because you think hurting is who you are. Why would you do that?
    Dorian: Someone tell him to stop! Banish him back to the Fade or something.
    Cole: I'm sorry. I keep making it worse.
    Dorian: No. I'm sorry. Of course you wouldn't understand. The thing is, sometimes the ones you love are also the ones who disappoint you the most. You think that if they love you, they should understand. They shouldn't want to hurt you. So you feel betrayed and say things you can't ever take back.
    Cole: Get out. You are no son of mine.
    Dorian: Yes, like that.
    Cole: He wishes he hadn't meant it.

Sera
    Cole: She tried. The cookies were good until the hate made them bitter in your mouth.
    Sera: Not there Creepy. Go rooting in that part of me and I'll stripe you up, you hear?
    Cole: Everyone heard. You're scary in another place.

Solas
    Cole: I am sorry your friend died, Solas.
    Solas: Thank you, Cole.
    Cole: I didn't know there were spirits of wisdom.
    Solas: There are few. Spirits form as a reflection of this world and its passions. We will never lack for spirits of rage, or hunger, or desire. The world gives them plenty to mirror. The gentler spirits are far more rare. We can ill afford the loss of even one spirit of wisdom, or faith... Or compassion.
    Cole: I will try not to die.
    Solas: Do that, please.

Varric
    Cole: The heft in my hands, solid, strong, but curving, careful, like her. Soot, smudge on her cheek, tiny scars on her fingers, old fires, her little frowns when she twists her gear ever so slightly.
    Varric: Yup. That's her, Kid.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Melkster wrote: »
    Speaking of clownsuits...
    hrcHKiB.png

I'm so sorry Dorian

Are you kidding? Dorian probably sees that outfit as a fucking challenge.

• Options
    Real talk, I sort of wish Loghain was the head of the Inquisition Army, instead of Cullen. I feel like that would make every faction side eye the Inquisition even more and lead to a lot of great story moments.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Real talk, I sort of wish Loghain was the head of the Inquisition Army, instead of Cullen. I feel like that would make every faction side eye the Inquisition even more and lead to a lot of great story moments.

Corpses can't lead.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    That Dorian one (the Cole banter not the outfit) was just

god damn

(the outfit might be a close second)

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Ewwww. No.

-edit-

Besides, it's hard for a dead man to lead troops.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    It would've been incredible. Piss of Orlais, Ferelden, and even the Grey Wardens in one fell swoop.

• Options
    Sprout wrote: »
    nLplORb.jpg
    A5Q3MAD.jpg

Wow, great job.

• Options
    nLplORb.jpg
    A5Q3MAD.jpg

Wow, great job.

Damn, that's a handsome elf.

• Options
    nLplORb.jpg
    A5Q3MAD.jpg

Wow, great job.

Thanks, it was mostly tweaking off of one of the presets. I think the first. He reminds me of what might happen if David Bowie and Benedict Cumberbatch had a baby. A sexy, sexy baby.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Ok.

"He got away. He got away."

I guess you can take that in either of two ways, but the way I take it is she was glad he escaped from the Qun. I know the idea of it sounds neat to some of the deet doot people, but everything about the Qun sounds like nightmare fuel to me. I severed Bull's ties to the Qun and never felt even slightly bad about it. Doing him a favor.

I took it in the same way you did. I never even considered taking it in another way.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    nLplORb.jpg
    A5Q3MAD.jpg

Wow, great job.

Thanks, it was mostly tweaking off of one of the presets. I think the first. He reminds me of what might happen if David Bowie and Benedict Cumberbatch had a baby. A sexy, sexy baby.

He reminds me of Lee Pace.

• Options
    nLplORb.jpg
    A5Q3MAD.jpg

Wow, great job.

He reminds me of Lee Pace.

Ooh, good call. He is now Inquisitor Piemaker.

• Options

Cullen's redemption is just as good as Loghain's (if you allow it :P ), but Cullen is the safest choice since he's always gonna be there.

That said, Loghain in DA:I is waaaaaaaaaay better than Stroud.

I'm really curious what will happen later
    in the inevitable Warden DLC where either Alistair, Loghain, Hawke, or Stroud have to deal with the Warden Civil War up at Weisshaupt.

I fully plan on having Loghain there. Yes, this means I'm leaving Hawke in the Fade.

Varric can deal with it.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Mild Confusion, smoking Carnifex in hand. Varric...tell them who I am.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Mild Confusion, smoking Carnifex in hand. Varric...tell them who I am.

With the Carnifex that Mordin gave me...

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Speaking of Iron Bull and the Qun did anyone else catch what he says about(Qunari stuff)
    The other "northern" Qunari and how they're different than the ones who follow the Qun? How they even look different. Then remember the part where he said that his people worship dragons I know the reason he gave was silly but I think it might be a bit more significant.

Also, remember what Cassandra said about how being a Reaver and consuming Dragon's blood eventually makes you super aggressive and you start getting Dragon like features?

I have this theory that the Qunari Bull are talking about are like an ancient race of Reavers or something and maybe they have a super chaotic society where power rules everything and maybe that's why the Qunari as we know them broke off and created the society they did.

Because they think the northern Qunari are batshit.

Just something I've got swimming in my head.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    During the final battle
    Cory spat out some business about the qunari being a mistake, not a race, their blood "engorged with decay."

Moments later I pancaked his face with an elven ball.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, I've been thinking about that too.
    We've been getting some subtle hints that perhaps human and qunari origins in Thedas will addressed soon.

Cause Solas.

My personal theory is that humans came to Thedas because of the Old Gods, or perhaps just some high dragons, corrupted the other humans from whatever land they hail from. But humans did come to Thedas around the same time frame the old elven gods were supposedly sealed away.

All the humans left over, from where ever the hell they came from, were eventually corrupted into the kossith by the dragons. If you read some of the Qun stuff, they were a very violent, chaotic people up until Ashkaari Koslun founded the qunari people. Then they did the same thing that ancient humans did long ago. Left where ever they came from and settled in Par Vollen.

Which leads me to another bit of speculation on my part: I think Solas created the Veil.

Think about it. The Dread Wolf's orb is able to open and close the Fade. If you side with the mages, you can see that the Veil was almost entirely removed. Then Corypheus also tries to recklessly rip the Veil open entirely in the end game with the orb as well. And then Solas asks questions like, "Wouldn't it be great if there was no Veil?"

So I think there is a hint of truth to The Dread Wolf legend of him sealing the old elven god and demons away. But what I think really happened was that initially, there was no Veil! Solas' orb created it. "Sealing" the elven gods, which are actually just powerful Fade spirits, in the Fade.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

This discussion has been closed.