As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dragon Age: Inquisition] - Jaws Of Hakkon DLC out now for PC, XONE - others in May

jdarksunjdarksun StrugglerVARegistered User regular
edited April 2015 in Games and Technology
7c9jifr82ejg.png

FAQ:

Q: What platforms are available?
A: PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, and PS4.

Q: Do PC users need to use Origin?
A: Yup, sorry.

Q: What's the deal with multiplayer?
A: Inquisition has a four-person multiplayer campaign that is completely separate from the single-player campaign. It's like a mash-up of a dungeon crawler and the ME3 multiplayer.

Q: How will the game import my world state?
A: The Dragon Age Keep lets you configure your world state to your liking, and then import it into Inquisition. All you need is an Origin account and an internet connection.

Q: How can I find people to play multiplayer with?
A: Add your info to the list, and then check out other players.

Q: Something is broken! How do I fix it?
A: First, check out the EA help page. Specifically, here is a thread with a bunch of troubleshooting tips and work arounds. If nothing is working, feel free to ask for help in this thread.

Q: The Origin achievement sound is annoying. How do I fix it?
A: Here is a work around.

Q: How does healing work?
A: There isn't really a healing specialization in the game. Instead, you have to use a limited number of potions to regain health. Those potions are automatically restored when you rest at a camp or your base. You can equip specific gear that will help you heal, and the Knight-Enchanter specialization does offer a very limited heal spell.

Q: How do I mitigate damage?
A: There are two systems that act as a sponge for enemy damage. Mages can cast a spell called barrier, and Warriors can accumulate guard a number of ways. These effectively prevent your main pool of HP from being depleted.

Q: Where do I find Tier 3 Schematics?
A: Armor schematics can be purchased in the Hissing Wastes. Weapon schematics can be purchased in Emprise du Lion (after you take over the keep).

Q: How do combos work?
A: Here's a good overview to help explain the intricacies.

<videos later>

Playable races:
Warrior Specializations:
Rogue Specializations:
Mage Specializations:
Previous Thread
OP stolen from @Bassguy‌. Sorry bro, old thread got locked and I needed my DA fix.

jdarksun on

• Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    @Mild Confusion‌ ...what Blackwall and the dog story?
    Blackwall talks about how he saw a few street kids hang a dog. He was a kid himself and didn't do a thing to stop them.

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Blackwall talks about how he saw a few street kids hang a dog. He was a kid himself and didn't do a thing to stop them.

I'm on record from before saying this is probably one of my favourite moments in the game - and how it fits into Blackwall's story and character arc. Just brilliant.

• Options
    So, did anything ever got explained about Red Lyrium?
    Maybe I missed something, but I feel we learned exactly nothing since Dragon Age 2.

Did Corypheus control it? Is he the reason there's Red Lyrium growing on the surface now? I never got the feeling he controlled it, just harvested it.

We learn that Bianca led him to the Primeval Thaig, but... then what? Does he plant red Lyrium seeds everywhere? Why is he even doing anything with Red Lyrium, what's in it for him?

What is Red Lyrium even? It's mentioned that it might carry the blight, which works with earlier theories of Lyrium being alive, but Lyrium has been around Darkspawn for a long time without being blighted.

I really wish Corypheus would have gotten some more dialogue to explain his whole deal with the blight, Red Lyrium, and why he believes entering the Black City will make him a God after it failed so miserably last time.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Oh, shit. Yeah. :(

• Options
    IndoorsmanIndoorsman Registered User regular
    I couldn't figure out how to upgrade Bianca, and I read that it has to be unequipped? Even though I can upgrade my equipped daggers?

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    You can upgrade equipped gear, you just have to click on the arrows next to your name on that screen to display the next squaddie's stuff rather than yours.

• Options
    Indoorsman wrote: »
    I couldn't figure out how to upgrade Bianca, and I read that it has to be unequipped? Even though I can upgrade my equipped daggers?
    In order to upgrade equipped gear, you must select the character that has the gear equipped. Up/down on the dpad for controllers.

• Options
    IndoorsmanIndoorsman Registered User regular
    ah - ty

I like the sound of some of the artificer tree (Elemental MInes!) so I need Varric on my team.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Maybe I missed something, but I feel we learned exactly nothing since Dragon Age 2.

Did Corypheus control it? Is he the reason there's Red Lyrium growing on the surface now? I never got the feeling he controlled it, just harvested it.

We learn that Bianca led him to the Primeval Thaig, but... then what? Does he plant red Lyrium seeds everywhere? Why is he even doing anything with Red Lyrium, what's in it for him?

What is Red Lyrium even? It's mentioned that it might carry the blight, which works with earlier theories of Lyrium being alive, but Lyrium has been around Darkspawn for a long time without being blighted.

I really wish Corypheus would have gotten some more dialogue to explain his whole deal with the blight, Red Lyrium, and why he believes entering the Black City will make him a God after it failed so miserably last time.

We know that
    It's directly linked to the Blight.
    It's alive.
    It's grown from people who have been exposed to Red Lyrium.
    It drives people crazy due to the Blight song that is very similar to the Calling and presumably the same song as the Darkspawn hear.
    It makes its users substantially more powerful, but warps their bodies.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Does Sera not dig other elves? She doesn't seem too interested in my elven lady. Had a pretty funny scene coming on very strong to Blackwall, though. Might switch gears to him.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Elemental Mines are awesome. They make me feel like I'm the last boss in Gnomergon going, "Explosions! More Explosions!"

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Goddamnit Blackwall!

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Does Sera not dig other elves? She doesn't seem too interested in my elven lady. Had a pretty funny scene coming on very strong to Blackwall, though. Might switch gears to him.

It takes a bit of work to make her go for an elf. She's not to big on elvish things in general.

Pretty much need a crowbar to pry her off a lady qunari though.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »

It takes a bit of work to make her go for an elf. She's not to big on elvish things in general.

Pretty much need a crowbar to pry her off a lady qunari though.

Nice DA:O reference :+1:

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    On the Fade, spirits, etc

Something Cole said was interesting in one of his lines. Essentially saying that without people, nothing in the fade exists, not even spirits.
    Taken literally, which is what it sounded like he was implying, I'd take it to mean that the fade isn't so much a place, as some sort of collective realm of the subconscious of all the people in the world.

From that, it would be easy to understand why it always changes, because it's not actually there in the first place.

If we go down that route, the various spirits and the like aren't just coveting various emotions per se... they are created from them by the collective minds of all the people in the world who dream/have a connection to the fade.

The golden city could have been a subconscious reflection of faith that all dreamers had. Something pure, present, but unobtainable.

When the Magisters breached into the fade, effectively manifesting themselves physically in a realm of nothing but imagination/thought, they changed the very nature of everything, essentially corrupting the collective ideals of the entire world by striving for the unobtainable in a way that shouldn't have been possible. That corruption changed them, bringing some of the fade back with them and "infecting" the world with it. The blight would then essentially be the fade brought back physically, corrupted and twisted by those who breached the fade.

Obviously my own speculation on it, but it would hardly be the first fictional work to do something similar.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Elemental Mines are awesome. They make me feel like I'm the last boss in Gnomergon going, "Explosions! More Explosions!"

Elemental Mines are great for startling the shit out of me thirty seconds after a fight has ended and I'm looting bodies.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Rainfall wrote: »

We know that
    It's alive.
    It drives people crazy due to the Blight song that is very similar to the Calling and presumably the same song as the Darkspawn hear.

Yeah, but
    It also seems to grow, naturally, out of the ground at places? It suddenly appeared everywhere when the temple of Sacred Ashes got blown up.

In fact, there appears to be Red Lyrium in the fade!

What's its link to Corypheus? He seems interested in it beyond its ability to create super soldiers. In the Redcliff flash-forward, we see he's practically covering the entire world with it.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

We know that
    It's alive.

Don't forget the dwarves:
    The dwarven resistance to lyrium seems to be at least partially based on exposure - surface dwarves lose the resistance over time, and if you expose an open wound to lyrium dwarves are still affected.
    Dwarves still "hear" the lyrium song just like everyone else. In fact, it's how their miners find lyrium in the first place.
    Dwarves don't dream (and hence can only enter the Fade in rare circumstances).
    Dwarves can't practice magic.

My theory (which is probably everyone else's theory) is that pretty much everything special about the dwarves - their inability to dream or use magic, their resistance to lyrium, their low birth rate - are all consequences of long-term, inter-generational exposure to lyrium itself. More precisely, their inability to dream is an evolved defensive mechanism to prevent going mad from lyrium. But it's not so much that dwarves can't dream so much as they can't access the Fade. That, in turn, is what causes them to lose any magical ability, as magic draws its power from the Fade. Similarly, they can't have kids because the same energy that is required for creating new life is being siphoned off by the constant exposure to lyrium.

Lyrium is probably feeds off of the Fade somehow, or perhaps feeds off of the same energy that lives in the Fade (or perhaps it even feeds off of the spirits themselves). "The song" might be some sort of attraction mechanism, like nectar for bees. It "calls" to living beings, which then themselves generate of emotions/dreams/etc. that it can then consume. This would also explain the difference between normal (blue) lyrium and red lyrium. Blue lyrium has a "neutral" song while red lyrium, having been corrupted by the Blight, has a different, more destructive song. Normal lyrium is part of the natural ecosystem and generally stays in balance, while red lyrium just wants to grow and spread as quickly as possible, even to the extent of eventually choking the life out of everything around it - just like the Blight.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Blight was initially some kind of magical plague cast by the Old Gods/Elven Gods/[insert ancient power here] that eventually came into contact with lyrium (intentionally or not), at which point all hell broke loose. Like, it's one thing to spread the plague through contact, and it's another to have this thing that can call all life to it help to spread it for you.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular

Elemental Mines are great for startling the shit out of me thirty seconds after a fight has ended and I'm looting bodies.

They're also great for post-fight cutscenes.

Cassandra: "Well, that went well." *everything explodes*

• Options
    On Cole, Varrick, and Solas:
    I don't get why Varrick presumes to know more about spirits than Solas. I mean, I like the idea that Cole can become more of a person, but... C'mon, Varrick is a dwarven merchant and Solas has been studying the Fade and spirits his entire life. In what universe would I defer to Varrick's idealism born of ignorance over Solas' lifetime of knowledge and expertise?

Is Cole different than most spirits? Sure, I concede that. But he's still a spirit and will never be a real person. It's part of nature.

Similar to how Dagna is different than most dwarves, but will still never be a mage no matter how hard she tries.

Honestly, I'm not even sure why they picked Varrick as a counter to Solas when there are two other mages and two templars that could give better counter-arguments than a romanticised concept of what makes a person a person. Varrick is probably the worst person for that quest given dwarven nature.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

We know that
    It's alive.

The dwarven resistance to lyrium seems to be at least partially based on exposure - surface dwarves lose the resistance over time, and if you expose an open wound to lyrium dwarves are still affected.
    Dwarves still "hear" the lyrium song just like everyone else. In fact, it's how their miners find lyrium in the first place.

My theory (which is probably everyone else's theory) is that pretty much everything special about the dwarves - their inability to dream or use magic, their resistance to lyrium, their low birth rate - are all consequences of long-term, inter-generational exposure to lyrium itself. More precisely, their inability to dream is an evolved defensive mechanism to prevent going mad from lyrium. But it's not so much that dwarves can't dream so much as they can't access the Fade. That, in turn, is what causes them to lose any magical ability, as magic draws its power from the Fade. Similarly, they can't have kids because the same energy that is required for creating new life is being siphoned off by the constant exposure to lyrium.
    Uh, dwarves can very much have kids. What are you talking about?

• Options

We know that
    It's alive.

Yeah, but
    It also seems to grow, naturally, out of the ground at places? It suddenly appeared everywhere when the temple of Sacred Ashes got blown up.

What's its link to Corypheus? He seems interested in it beyond its ability to create super soldiers. In the Redcliff flash-forward, we see he's practically covering the entire world with it.

Easy.
    Corypheus manipulates and controls the Blight. Blighted Lyrium is the perfect tool for him to control the entire world. Lyrium under the mountain got attracted towards the blast and corrupted by his blighted magic. Corypheus's blight spreading through the Fade turns the regular lyrium deposits(from DAO) into red lyrium

• Options

We know that
    It's alive.

Uh, dwarves can very much have kids. What are you talking about?
    They can, but they have very low birthrates.

Which does little to help Orzammar's impending doom

• Options

We know that
    It's alive.

Yeah, but

Easy.
    Corypheus manipulates and controls the Blight. Blighted Lyrium is the perfect tool for him to control the entire world. Lyrium under the mountain got attracted towards the blast and corrupted by his blighted magic. Corypheus's blight spreading through the Fade turns the regular lyrium deposits(from DAO) into red lyrium

Well, shit.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    On Cole, Varrick, and Solas:
    I don't get why Varrick presumes to know more about spirits than Solas. I mean, I like the idea that Cole can become more of a person, but... C'mon, Varrick is a dwarven merchant and Solas has been studying the Fade and spirits his entire life. In what universe would I defer to Varrick's idealism born of ignorance over Solas' lifetime of knowledge and expertise?

Is Cole different than most spirits? Sure, I concede that. But he's still a spirit and will never be a real person. It's part of nature.

Similar to how Dagna is different than most dwarves, but will still never be a mage no matter how hard she tries.

Honestly, I'm not even sure why they picked Varrick as a counter to Solas when there are two other mages and two templars that could give better counter-arguments than a romanticised concept of what makes a person a person. Varrick is probably the worst person for that quest given dwarven nature.
    I think you're missing the point of this plot's dilemma. The question is not "who knows more about spirits"--it's instead a question of head vs. heart. Varric is bros with/fatherly to Cole and believes instinctively, out of friendship, that Cole can be human. Solas has an academic argument--from his long study of spirits, reason suggests that Cole can't be human. (Although one gets the sense there's some personal in there as well, as Solas feels comfortable around spirits but not so much around people. However, he won't actually articulate that argument).

Your choice as the Inquisitor is whether you decide to believe in the power of friendship, or whether you should go with elven scholar and his reasonable arguments that it's a bad idea.

There's also the whole other layer of whether you are asking Cole to change his fundamental nature in order to fit in better with the Inquisition, or whether you're giving him the chance to live the dream (of being human).

But this quest is never set up as Varric's spirit knowledge vs Solas's spirit knowledge. It's more like faith vs knowledge.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Folks, I need help.

I get to the end of a zone that is basically a lengthy fractal of dull collection quests, breathe a sigh of relief that it's over, bitch about said collection quests while screwing around back at base, then instead of continuing the plot I unlock the next zone where the process repeats itself.

Is that sick? It feels like it.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    Folks, I need help.

I get to the end of a zone that is basically a lengthy fractal of dull collection quests, breathe a sigh of relief that it's over, bitch about said collection quests while screwing around back at base, then unlock the next zone where the process repeats itself.

My method of dealing with it was to do one or two tasks, then jump back to base, talk to everybody, then repeat.

I did it with Mass Effect too and felt like I got a far more complete story by going back to the Citadel after every major planet.

• Options
    Folks, I need help.

I get to the end of a zone that is basically a lengthy fractal of dull collection quests, breathe a sigh of relief that it's over, bitch about said collection quests while screwing around back at base, then instead of continuing the plot I unlock the next zone where the process repeats itself.

I did that for three quarters of my first game and burned out. The zones were pretty awesome though.

My second run, I'm just doing bare minimum until I get to a place I haven't completed before.

• Options
    My third (and further) playthroughs are really just going to revolve around companion quests and main plotlines. The rewards from zone completion just feel so very unnecessary.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    "Congratulations! You cleared a zone! Have another grey dagger for the pile."

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Cole:
    I was torn on that quest, but I ended up siding with Varric (siding with Varric and cold-shouldering Solas are characteristic of my individual interactions with the two, anyway). What Cole is to begin with isn't a thing anyone understands, even Solas, and most of the Fade/spirits/religion in this setting is kept deliberately nebulous. Solas wants Cole to remain 'pure' through the divine ideal of forgiveness more than the mundane, personal sort, but that same pureness of spirit is limiting and dangerous in its own right—lack of understanding, simplicity, fixation on strong emotion without nuance.

I wasn't sure I made the right choice until the follow-up scene.

That said, his new loyalty card looks like an album cover from a band I don't want to listen to.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    This got left behind in the prior thread at the bottom page and damnit, I can't let this get abandoned that quickly:

Miracle of Sound did a song for this game and it's pretty awesome:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=3MVqdYcbDp8

The fun part is that it calls back to the song he did for Dragon Age 2 a few years ago.
    DocShifty wrote:
    huh I'd never heard these guys before, this is really good

I fucking love their Witcher 3 one too
    MoS is really damn good stuff. I've been listening to his music for a few years now and it almost never fails to kick ass.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Cole:
    I was torn on that quest, but I ended up siding with Varric (siding with Varric and cold-shouldering Solas are characteristic of my individual interactions with the two, anyway). What Cole is to begin with isn't a thing anyone understands, even Solas, and most of the Fade/spirits/religion in this setting is kept deliberately nebulous. Solas wants Cole to remain 'pure' through the divine ideal of forgiveness more than the mundane, personal sort, but that same pureness of spirit is limiting and dangerous in its own right—lack of understanding, simplicity, fixation on strong emotion without nuance.

I wasn't sure I made the right choice until the follow-up scene.

That said, his new loyalty card looks like an album cover from a band I don't want to listen to.

colec.png

That one?

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    MoS is really damn good stuff. I've been listening to his music for a few years now and it almost never fails to kick ass.

A pretty nice song, although I'd disagree with his description, it's not really symphonic rock as there's no major orchestration outside of bass, guitar, drums, and synth. That being said, it is a fine slice of medium-paced power metal.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah I went full completionist during my first run, and I don't feel at all compelled to pick up every last thing in my second run. I'm barely even picking up herbs/ore, and I'm actively avoiding Requisitions (except for the ones tied to quests).

I'm not even convinced that I'm going to finish all those companion approval quests. Like, you'd have to go out of your way to be such a turd to a companion that they just up and leave. At which point, if you're going to RP that way, then you wouldn't spend 20 hours of your life running around picking up random shit for them all over the world, either.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Taramoor wrote: »
    My method of dealing with it was to do one or two tasks, then jump back to base, talk to everybody, then repeat.

I did it with Mass Effect too and felt like I got a far more complete story by going back to the Citadel after every major planet.

I guess my issue is a completionist run means a lot of aimless wandering and jumping punctuated by comparatively brief snippets of plot and character interaction. I'm normally compelled to do everything I can in one go, but it just seems like categorically the worst way to play the game here.

Also having not played Legacy, I'm a little lost now that (minor post-Skyhold-arrival spoilers)
    Hawke has shown up and he and Varric are all "Corypheus? Oh yeah, that guy, we totally killed him. Big adventure, long story, don't know why he's back."

It just feels a little strange to pick a major antagonist from DLC.
    I did that for three quarters of my first game and burned out. The zones were pretty awesome though.

My second run, I'm just doing bare minimum until I get to a place I haven't completed before.

Yeah, that's basically how I'm feeling. It's murder on my OCD tendencies, but I'm gradually learning that it's okay to not do everything on the map. I mean they're often gorgeous - I could sit and just watch waves crash on the Storm Coast - but fuck. I can't recall ever complaining about there being too much stuff before, and I kind of feel like a dick for it. "No I'm sorry, there's just too much game here, take some of it back please. Maybe put some of that effort into the UI or something, thank you."

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    That one?

Yeeeeeep.

Also I kind of want to just start a new run before they patch the infinite amulets of power thing so I can run the main quest and companions and finish the game at like level 7 but still have loads of points.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    That one?

Yeeeeeep.

Also I kind of want to just start a new run before they patch the infinite amulets of power thing so I can run the main quest and companions and finish the game at like level 7 but still have loads of points.

ColeAlbum_zpse3473d63.png

There, I fixed it.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Folks, I need help.

I can't help you; I went back to every area, emptied my journal for each, and even swept out the fog of war on each map like I was playing Baldur's Gate.
    Um...at least it's a finite game, not an MMO, and your party members say fun things to each other as you're jumping against the side of a mountain, trying to get up to some stupid shard?
    I think it's fun to just do each area until you get tired of it, then hop to another area and do that for a while, then hop areas again, knowing that you will take each area to 100% completion before the game is out, but that it doesn't have to be all right now.

But yeah, I am not doing another playthrough right away because I know I will be compelled to do all the collection quests again.

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
This discussion has been closed.