As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[sysadmins] - International Brotherhood of Neckbeards and Mouthbreathers Local 258

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    ...I'm on 11 and tried jumping out the window, but we're on the second floor so it just added insult to injury.

I do get to delve into a lot of the sysadmin stuff, which is one of the few saving graces. With only a two-man IT crew, we both have to be sysadmins, but my boss is Yoda and I'm Luke (complete with constantly complaining)

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Interview #2 tomorrow, time to find out what the salary is.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Interview #2 tomorrow, time to find out what the salary is.
    insert Bro? fist

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    :bro:

• Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    So I'm now learning MSSQL from scratch on the fly after being moved to proper full-time status and getting a pay bump. Anyone got any good resources for MSSQL or SQL in general?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    donavannj wrote: »
    So I'm now learning MSSQL from scratch on the fly after being moved to proper full-time status and getting a pay bump. Anyone got any good resources for MSSQL or SQL in general?

For querying? http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp? Dunno about back-end or design though.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    @nexuscrawler‌ dogg, how did I not know you were a fellow IT drone all this time?

I'm currently working on my Server 2012 MCSA

shit is hard. Like others have said, it's a mixed bag that benefits from hands-on experience but needs specific test prep because some of the stuff is specific PowerShell commands to work in AD, for example, or just technology that Microsoft is trying to advertise because it's their new hot shit. I'm not trying to discourage you at all, just be prepared. I've been working with Windows Server OSs for years in varying capacities and I've failed the first go and have yet to schedule my re-take.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    donavannj wrote: »

Sqlzoo!
    Best training I've seen. Bigger thing is often to understand the database concepts keenly, as there's not much you can't do with simple SQL statements if you have all the structures down pat. Understand how everything in your structure is related, what the data grains are and how keys are generated.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Goddamn SpamHaus (and users). Our mail server just got blacklisted because a PC with a malware infection was trying to get to a WEB SITE. Our firewall is blocking it from sending out spam on port 25, but the web filter wasn't blocking the control web site, which apparently has been hijacked by "spam researchers."

The PC is sitting at my workbench. They might get it back next Friday. The users on that PC will never get local admin rights again, either. We have generally been pretty open about what people can do, but this has happened to this particular group of users too many times.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Ugh I can't recall the answer to this and don't have a access to a 32 bit server to check on atm.

If I have a Win2008 32 bit server, can it host 64 bit print drivers for shared printers? Meaning I could then connect to the printer from a 64 bit machine and use the 64bit drivers?

EDIT: Sorry, not R2 just 2008 server.

Bigity on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You can, IIRC, but it's a bit obtuse.

I think you have to install it from an x64 machine. Browse out to the printer's share, right click, server properties, drivers, install the 64bit driver.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Ah that's right. I knew (or thought I knew) I had managed it at some point, and now I remember doing it that way. WTH we still have print servers running 2008 I dunno :P That's another discussion.

Thanks

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    Ah that's right. I knew (or thought I knew) I had managed it at some point, and now I remember doing it that way. WTH we still have print servers running 2008 any 32 bit servers at all I dunno :P That's another discussion.

Thanks

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Nah, you can just install the 64 bit driver directly on the 32 bit print server for about 95% of printers (or vice versa). If the printer is already setup and shared, you just go to the printer properties on the server, Sharing tab, Additional Drivers, select x64, and point it to the correct INF file. The only gotcha to that is the "Driver Name" string has to match the already installed driver exactly down to the letter, including the PCL6 or whatever.

Unless it's an HP CM2320 MFP. Then you should just give up. (What I ended up having to do for our new 64 bit print server was install the driver on a Windows 7 32 bit PC, export all drivers and printers, and then import them on to the new print server.)

• Options
    Can you? I thought the 32 bit Windows OS hid the x64 driver options because it has no knowledge of them. I know the x64 version has both but I don't remember ever seeing two options in the 32 bit version.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Cog wrote: »
    Ah that's right. I knew (or thought I knew) I had managed it at some point, and now I remember doing it that way. WTH we still have print servers running 2008 any 32 bit servers at all I dunno :P That's another discussion.

Thanks

We replace some servers a little slower because they are really just DHCP/print/DFS servers for small offices - like 2-5 people. The servers don't exactly do alot of work.

• Options
    I have little room to talk. There are still 2000 servers here.

• Options
    And I was feeling bad about my last 2003 server...

• Options
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    And I was feeling bad about my last 2003 server...

Oh dear, the 2003 server count here is embarrassing.

• Options
    We use linux servers for those rinky dink type operations. No point buying windows licenses to give out DHCP and DNS stuff.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Can you? I thought the 32 bit Windows OS hid the x64 driver options because it has no knowledge of them. I know the x64 version has both but I don't remember ever seeing two options in the 32 bit version.
    Yeah, absolutely, at least in 32bit 2008 (which is where I started needing both x86 and x64) it's there in the full-blown printer manager snap-in. Normally, before even getting stuck in the printer setup, I install the "correct" architecture driver first, then the "other" architecture, and then finally the printer itself. It helps to avoid the surprise that the driver won't work during the printer install. A driver here or there may cause problems with needing a file from the other architecture (see my workaround for the CM2320 above), but for the most part it's pretty smooth. HP drives me crazy in this regard, because their driver packages are all over the board. Some drivers come with both architectures for all levels of OS in one file, whereas others are only technically supported for XP (without having to go the Universal Printer Driver route, which doesn't work for print servers). Thank god there was at least an XP 64 bit edition that they bothered to create drivers for.

• Options
    Yeah the 2003 we had didn't have it IIRC. Good to know it's not as much of PITA as it used to be.

• Options
    Yeah the 2003 we had didn't have it IIRC. Good to know it's not as much of PITA as it used to be.
    Yeah, I don't think that was in 2003. Thankfully, when we had 2003 for our domain/file/print servers, we only had XP 32 bit PCs, so I could just install them from the console. Man, that Windows 7 64 bit rollout was fun, I-tell-you-what. Mostly because I was the one who kind of forced the 64 bit issue, and one of our remote IT guys was pretty annoyed with it/me for a few months until we ironed out the kinks. I probably spent more time rolling out those drivers than anything else.

• Options
    We use linux servers for those rinky dink type operations. No point buying windows licenses to give out DHCP and DNS stuff.

hisssssssssss

• Options

hisssssssssss

I'd rather admin linux boxes all day every day over windows servers with printers attached.

Fuck printers.

Fuck themmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Fuck printers.

Fuck themmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Yes, fuck them right up their power-cord rear slots. And fuck their inability to do something as simple as print first page on tray 3 and all the others on tray 2 without reverting to tray 3 when a section break appears, which then fucks everything up and ... just fuck them

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Fuck printers.

Fuck themmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Yes, fuck them right up their power-cord rear slots. And fuck their inability to do something as simple as print first page on tray 3 and all the others on tray 2 without reverting to tray 3 when a section break appears, which then fucks everything up and ... just fuck them

I've been doing lab setup work too long.

I read that and was all "hmm I wonder if they're C14 or C20?"

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Printers are one thing that never felt like they left the 90s

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    My first IT job was 'printer bitch.'

And those printers were a harsh, harsh mistress. Giant, fifteen foot monsters that collated and stapled, and that was without the super high speed scanners that could whip through mortgage documents in seconds.

...that was actually not a bad job. Then the housing market crashed.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

I remember having to reimage a machine because it had the wrong driver on it.

In XP this was easier than trying to root the damn thing out.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

I remember having to reimage a machine because it had the wrong driver on it.

In XP this was easier than trying to root the damn thing out.

We had a problem with our print server spitting out a corrupted driver for a while. So pages came out backwards and shit.

the only way I figured out to get windows to reinstall the good drivers was wipe out all references to the driver files in the registry and erase the printers.

• Options
    Just about everything you guys are describing is better now. I mean, it still sucks, but starting with around 2008, it's better. My biggest problem isn't the Windows stuff; it's the drivers that manufacturers provide (or more commonly no longer provide for new OSes).

• Options
    My boss approved installing ClassicShell on all our 2012 servers. :heartbeat:

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    My boss approved installing ClassicShell on all our 2012 servers. :heartbeat:

something, something Core installation

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Baby steps.

• Options
    From what I've seen of the 2012 UI, I'd be excited too

• Options
    My biggest gripe with 2012 is that they got rid of the all-inclusive server manager executable from 2008, so when I'm jumping between DNS or DHCP or File Services, I have to open each role snap-in individually.

• Options
    My biggest gripe with 2012 is that they got rid of the all-inclusive server manager executable from 2008, so when I'm jumping between DNS or DHCP or File Services, I have to open each role snap-in individually.

uhh.... gimme a minute, but I dont think that's true

• Options
    Ok, I might be thinking of something different.

That said, you can still launch the MMC, add all the snap-ins you like, and save the console.

• Options
    One could just wait for Windows 9/2016 Server too!