Options

[sysadmins] - International Brotherhood of Neckbeards and Mouthbreathers Local 258

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    1Z0KqsG.png

ಠ_ಠ

"I can only assume you mean Monday the 12th since you are emailing me at 4:59pm on a Friday. I'll have everything set up for said start date."

• Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    1Z0KqsG.png

ಠ_ಠ

"I can only assume you mean Monday the 12th since you are emailing me at 4:59pm on a Friday. I'll have everything set up for said start date."

See, this is advance notice in my neck of the woods. We've seriously had new employees be there for a whole day before anyone bothers to inform us.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    In the past couple years, I automated a good portion of the user add process, so now we make them wait until 2PM on the day the person is added to the personnel database. They have them signing papers and reading safety manuals and that kind of BS pretty much all day. My biggest issue prior to that was that at least 40% of the time, the supervisor would spell the new user's name wrong. I'm able to justify the whole thing based primarily on the fact that a couple of our systems now require an employee ID before we can even touch the user creation. I mean, I can generally guess what it will be since they're sequential...but eff that.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    1Z0KqsG.png

ಠ_ಠ

Geeeeeeeeeet fuuuuuuuuuuucked, Pat.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Since I've started administering my own semi-production Linux server, I've learned about some cool utilities like htop and pidstat, what are some other cool Linux admin tools I should know about? I'm running Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS (x64).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    3 days and i'm unemployed.

Fuck what you heard being a "lame duck" is amazing. Say what i want, not a care in the world.

A taste of the bad IT i inherited ((and corrected)) - when i arrived, several key systems were not backed up in anyway whatsoever. RDP was OUTWARDLY FACING AND ON on almost every outwardly facing server ((and as such getting hit by russians/script kids about 2 million times a day)). D: The phone system self backups went to a server in a closet- that had not been plugged in in 18 months. The phone system has 4 servers- 2 had black screened and were non functional- its a miracle the phones rang at all.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    "A failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."
    We chew HR's asses about it when they try to pull that shit on us. Nobody gets hired on that short a notice. There's no excuse for it. So congrats, your new hire will just have to twiddle their thumbs for 3-5 business days.

They bank on "training" in this period. But I probably won't do it until Friday out of spite.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    3 days and i'm unemployed.

Fuck what you heard being a "lame duck" is amazing. Say what i want, not a care in the world.

This is the best part of any job. Blatant gaming, ignoring emails, leaving phone off the hook, wearing jeans all the time, showing up late. Suck my ass, job.

• Options
    I do that now.

I keep it tacitly implied that me leaving would put them in a terrible lurch and be way too costly than just letting me do what I want.

They even brought up the cost of outsourcing IT at one point during a review and I made sure to mention that they paying $200 an hour for 6 hours of work a week would be about what they're paying me now. And there is no way in hell they are going to get away with 6 hours of work from an outsourced IT.

At least 20 hours of billable time a week. Yes, every time a printer jams and needs paper, that's at least an hour of billable time. They don't just do "5 minute" increments, it's always at least an hour. Maybe you'll get lucky and find one that bills on half hour increments.

Also let's not forget that you no longer have someone actively maintaining your equipment so they don't have to come in on a weekend and on call time is minimized. It becomes a game with these companies because if they come in on weekends or after hours they can charge more. A server needs rebooting and updating? That's double/triple pay because they won't come in at 7:00 it'll be at midnight instead. Even if I asked for double my wages, you'd still be saving almost 50% of your costs, you're not a 5 person shop anymore.

Never forget guys, knowing the financial impact of your duties is an incredible bargaining chip.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yep.

"You may baulk at paying me $60k, but try and outsource my duties to a remote contractor and watch as costs quadruple. So, fuck you.

P.s., I want a 10% payrise or I'm walking."

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    jaziek wrote: »
    Any word on how good Synology products are? I'm in the market for a new NAS for home.

I was initially going to build myself something, but I've decided it's really not worth the time.

Eventually I might build myself a host and use the NAS to store the VMs.

I've been using them for my home NAS and they're excellent. Lots of neat little features and apps in their OS (DSM) if you want to use them.

I don't have any experience using them in a business environment, though.

Got myself a Synology 213J.

This thing is awesome. runs a fully usable LAMP stack, Git server, VPN server, Email server, and probably a load more I haven't read up on yet. You can SSH into it and treat it like any other linux box really.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I have a client with two requests, and rather than reinvent the wheel I thought I might consult you fine gents (and ladies, assuming bowen is feeling pretty today (<3))

-Every month, the office manager processes billing in $application. She usually comes in early and it's not a problem, but if any users happen to log in early then it can cause her an issue. She wants a way to disable TS access for ~1 hour. I think I could get away with doing this on a fixed schedule via GPO; bonus points if I could customize an error message visible to users attempting to log in during that time.
    -A handful of users need to send client applications which include SSNs to a vendor regularly. Office manager has requested encrypted email so I'm looking for either a better suggestion or a good method. The users involved are not total luddites so perhaps even an encrypted archive attached to a regular email would suffice.

Thanks, as always. You all are the best.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I get the: "We're starting someone in a couple of days. We need a laptop for him/her."

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I spent half my day trying to troubleshoot why Sharepoint 2013 prerequisites wouldn't install, then I found out that it requires SP1 when being installed on 2012 R2 and that there is a separate installer for it.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    -Every month, the office manager processes billing in $application. She usually comes in early and it's not a problem, but if any users happen to log in early then it can cause her an issue. She wants a way to disable TS access for ~1 hour. I think I could get away with doing this on a fixed schedule via GPO; bonus points if I could customize an error message visible to users attempting to log in during that time.

Disable TS access to what, for whom? People working from home, to a specific server?

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    User at 4:15 PM: I need two laptops setup for training tomorrow from 1-4 with the new program installed.
    Me: Tomorrow? I have to drop everything to do that now.
    User: Oh? I thought it would just take a minute to set them up.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

Disable TS access to what, for whom? People working from home, to a specific server?

Yes, anyone who might be logging in before the office opens on that particular day to either of their two terminal servers.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    We chew HR's asses about it when they try to pull that shit on us. Nobody gets hired on that short a notice. There's no excuse for it. So congrats, your new hire will just have to twiddle their thumbs for 3-5 business days.
    My problem is that HR won't notify us because she's lazy as fuck. I find out either via emails to staff that someone is starting or by a department head asking me "Hey, is so-and-so all set for tomorrow?"

I had the same thing happen where at 4:45pm on a Friday, the head of legal (who is also the CEO's second in command) informs me that a new hire needed to be ready by Monday. Normally I'd laugh and say tough, but being one of the chief executives... you can't say that to her. It's like saying no to a Warchief who's still holding the head of the grunt he just slew.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Yes, anyone who might be logging in before the office opens on that particular day to either of their two terminal servers.

Can you just restrict logon hours with account options? That would keep them from logging on to anything at all, but it'd work.

And what exactly is the problem? That all the TS sessions are used up?

Cog on
  • Options

Can you just restrict logon hours with account options? That would keep them from logging on to anything at all, but it'd work.

And what exactly is the problem? That all the TS sessions are used up?

Not a bad idea, if it's possible to identify one day a month to enable the restrictions. The issue is that if anyone logs into the app and starts editing data while she's running billing, it can queer the whole process and cause her to have to start over.

• Options
    Windows will only do weekly controls.

My preferred method of handling this would probably be sending emails followed by personal visits with users to remind them not to be fucktarded on those days before I actually went with login restrictions. If someone just isn't fucking getting it, then you can clamp down that single special snowflake.

Apparently UserLock can do AD integrated login restrictions a lot more flexibly than Windows & AD are capable of (there's actually nothing natively built into AD to support it), but I don't know if buying software to fix a once-a-month problem is really how you want to go with this.

Like I said, I would probably just go with verbally humiliating and ostracizing the non-compliant until they stopped being twats.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    My problem is that HR won't notify us because she's lazy as fuck. I find out either via emails to staff that someone is starting or by a department head asking me "Hey, is so-and-so all set for tomorrow?"

I had the same thing happen where at 4:45pm on a Friday, the head of legal (who is also the CEO's second in command) informs me that a new hire needed to be ready by Monday. Normally I'd laugh and say tough, but being one of the chief executives... you can't say that to her. It's like saying no to a Warchief who's still holding the head of the grunt he just slew.

Throw HR under the bus then?

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »

This is always the correct decision.

• Options
    Windows will only do weekly controls.

My preferred method of handling this would probably be sending emails followed by personal visits with users to remind them not to be fucktarded on those days before I actually went with login restrictions. If someone just isn't fucking getting it, then you can clamp down that single special snowflake.

Apparently UserLock can do AD integrated login restrictions a lot more flexibly than Windows & AD are capable of (there's actually nothing natively built into AD to support it), but I don't know if buying software to fix a once-a-month problem is really how you want to go with this.

Like I said, I would probably just go with verbally humiliating and ostracizing the non-compliant until they stopped being twats.

I think there's a way to do this with Powershell, and I could give her a shortcut that calls the script to disable and then re-enable access, but you're right that shaming users into compliance would be preferable.

• Options

This is always the correct decision.

Yeah.

I would say "Oh I'm really super sorry but it takes 45 minutes to get the user set up and propagated to all the daughter systems, but the general rule is 3-5 days while we make sure all their accounts and software works right. HR didn't let me know in time, this has become the norm as of late now that I'm thinking about it. I'll see what I can do for you though."

This way the bug is put in their ear, they get what they want, and you look like the superstar.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Does anyone know any good network deployment tools?
    Looking for alternatives to Ninite Pro or PDQ Deploy.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Only ever used SMS (or whatever it's called these days - SCCM?) and Ninite.

Bigity on
  • Options
    Client's Exchange server is down - restored it via ShadowProtect but now can't get past the "Press CTRL + ALT + Delete to log on" screen. I think it's due to Integration Services not working properly. I've seen it in the past and been able to RDP in, but it's not picking up an IP address via DHCP.

Any thoughts? I tried changing the only NIC present in the registry (by mounting the VHD), ControlSet001\Services\{Adapter ID} to enable DHCP but no dice.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015

You can't. She's the CFO's prodigy and protected by certain political agendas that (in my opinion) go against "equal opportunity employment."

What I basically have done is just inform my boss of the bullshit and let him handle it from there.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Safe mode?

• Options

You can't. She's the CFO's prodigy and protected by certain political agendas that (in my opinion) go against "equal opportunity employment."

You can always throw someone under the bus, sometimes you just have to be more subtle about it than others.

• Options
    Safe mode?

No dice. I tried DISM to re-apply the Integration Services package to the VHD as well, which seemed to do something ("Preparing to update - do not turn off your computer..") but still unable to log in.

• Options
    Can't even log in with a local admin to the console?

• Options
    Can't get it to recognize the CTRL+ALT+Delete, even using the on-screen keyboard.

Looking for a way to remove the keyboard device and cause the OS to auto-detect the proper drivers.

• Options
    Physical or VM?

• Options
    VM. The NIC doesn't pick up an IP address or I could RDP in. Even if it could get out to the Internet, it would ping our Kaseya server and we could get in that way.

I'm not sure of a way to edit the NIC settings via regedit or some other method, since I don't think the Hyper-V NIC is stored on the VHD itself, right?

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    VM. The NIC doesn't pick up an IP address or I could RDP in. Even if it could get out to the Internet, it would ping our Kaseya server and we could get in that way.

I'm not sure of a way to edit the NIC settings via regedit or some other method, since I don't think the Hyper-V NIC is stored on the VHD itself, right?
    You may be able to run some WMI commands to set an IP address in the Run key in the registry. Kind of a hack, but I have used WMI to remotely change static DNS entries across all servers. Which reminds me that I will have to do that again soonish.

Edit: Wait, in VMware, you can change the IP address from the VSphere client. I'm guessing this isn't VMware?

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    edited January 2015

What happens if you strip (or maybe just disable) the current virtual nic and then add a new one? The new one should just pop in and be set to DHCP by default.

Cog on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    If you boot to safe mode w/ command prompt you might be able to run a sfc /scannow and see if there's something jacked up it can detect and replace in the OS.

Cog on
  • Options
    I'm in Hyper-V

I'll try disconnecting the current NIC and adding another one. Also in the process of updating Powershell on the host server; I think Set-VMNetworkAdapter may allow me to change the IP address directly.