Options

[chat]BASIC

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    I kind of want to go in the Snowden thread, but that is one of the rare topics where I don't even understand the position the other side takes, so I should probably steer clear. I literally do not think you can think he is a whistleblower unless you don't understand what a whistleblower is.

uh huh

I usually see both sides. That is distinct from when I say I don't understand something because I actuelly lack knowledge of it.

Snowden just isn't a whistleblower, by definition. It's a legal concept. He does not satisfy it under any applicable test.

Could the reason for that be mostly semantics to do with the fact that he's tattling on the structure that sets that very definition?

Not rhetorical

He was not. NSA is distinct from the DOJ. DOL protects whistleblowers. So the correct action as a whisteblower is to go up the chain of command. If you are not heard all the way up, then you go to DOJ. Of course, he stole the data in the first place and whistleblower rules would not protect him from that because it was theft and that was illegal, but that he feared prosecution for a felony he committed doesn't somehow make him a whistleblower.

I have probably a decent grasp on the NSA and DOJ being different entities, but they're largely part of the same machine. It seems to me there's a fairly unified front at the federal level in favor of the ridiculous amount of fucked up surveillance that's been happening for the last 10 years. Not that a vast conspiracy or centralized corruption is at work or anything, but that it makes a lot of people's jobs easier and the people who might otherwise A: think that it is a massive overstep not worth the dubiously purported safety, and/or B: Could at least reasonably agree it's not a necessity, are motivated by a fucked up political climate that dissuades people from taking a step back from the war on terror.

Basically, while you are most assuredly right in that he's not technically a whistleblower, I don't have a lot of faith that a bona fide whistleblower could get an inch of traction in this climate. I would not be surprised to find that someone making that move would as likely land quietly in a supermax as on the front page of The Guardian.

1 - Hypothetical self-interest is not sufficient justification for violation of the law. That's a fundamental concept in Civil Disobedience.

2 - Whistleblowing covers revelation of violations of law. The vast majority of what Snowden revealed was not a violation of the law, just what he thought was the correct policy. Even the subset of activities he identified that were in violation of the law were so vague as to make actions to bring wrongdoers to justice or rectify policies impossible. "Some" people were listening to things without authority. "Some" justifications were fabricated.

Whistleblowing doesn't cover revelation of classified activities you think are bad, just ones that are illegal.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    god I love the song they use for the Luther theme

Massive Attack so good

I didn't even realize it was them, and I recently powered through the first two seasons of Luther.

Show lost me in S3, though.

yeah they lost their step a bit, but I still like it enough that I'm excited for season 4

which is really gonna be a movie or a two part miniseries or something

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Come to Santa Polco. Put on Show.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Meanwhile on Twitter: The hashtag #RIPRichardDawkins is hilarious.

What the sam hell

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    I am reading a resume from a candidate who would like to "become a reputed roboticist in the future"

Don't we all... don't we all...

as a reputed frog rammer,

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    So apparently Putin hasn't been seen officially for a week and now there's rampant speculation about him being dead etc.

That says a lot about how Russia works. I wonder what kind of insane power struggles there will be when Putin kicks the bucket.
    He did just totally murder the opposition leader. Wouldn't surprise me if he's in hiding

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I am reading a resume from a candidate who would like to "become a reputed roboticist in the future"

Don't we all... don't we all...

infamous

it means more than famous

Inflammable means flammable!

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Sauron would easily beat the crop of GOP candidates in the primary

although they might get some traction by pointing out he's a foreigner

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

The_Joint_Staff_Org_Chart.jpg

So he went over the head of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and of the President of the United States, directly to the American People.

Unorthodox, but I'll allow it.

This is not particularly coherent considering the NSA is not included in that organizational chart. The NSA is not part of the DoD proper. (Ed the NSA reports to the Director of National Intelligence who reports directly to the PotUS and sits on the NSC)

Its also the equivalent of telling a cop "I pay your salary!"

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Seriously though, in Shadows of Mordor, is:
    'Cerelbrimbor' actually Sauron?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So apparently Putin hasn't been seen officially for a week and now there's rampant speculation about him being dead etc.

That says a lot about how Russia works. I wonder what kind of insane power struggles there will be when Putin kicks the bucket.
    He did just totally murder the opposition leader. Wouldn't surprise me if he's in hiding

One article claims that the murder is a power struggle between FSB and the pro-Putin Chechen leader, and he's in hiding until he decides how to deal with that.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Sauron would easily beat the crop of GOP candidates in the primary

although they might get some traction by pointing out he's a foreigner

I would be afraid to ask for his birth certificate. Reading it would probably fracture your mind.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I kind of want to go in the Snowden thread, but that is one of the rare topics where I don't even understand the position the other side takes, so I should probably steer clear. I literally do not think you can think he is a whistleblower unless you don't understand what a whistleblower is.

uh huh

I usually see both sides. That is distinct from when I say I don't understand something because I actuelly lack knowledge of it.

Snowden just isn't a whistleblower, by definition. It's a legal concept. He does not satisfy it under any applicable test.

Could the reason for that be mostly semantics to do with the fact that he's tattling on the structure that sets that very definition?

Not rhetorical

He was not. NSA is distinct from the DOJ. DOL protects whistleblowers. So the correct action as a whisteblower is to go up the chain of command. If you are not heard all the way up, then you go to DOJ. Of course, he stole the data in the first place and whistleblower rules would not protect him from that because it was theft and that was illegal, but that he feared prosecution for a felony he committed doesn't somehow make him a whistleblower.

I have probably a decent grasp on the NSA and DOJ being different entities, but they're largely part of the same machine. It seems to me there's a fairly unified front at the federal level in favor of the ridiculous amount of fucked up surveillance that's been happening for the last 10 years. Not that a vast conspiracy or centralized corruption is at work or anything, but that it makes a lot of people's jobs easier and the people who might otherwise A: think that it is a massive overstep not worth the dubiously purported safety, and/or B: Could at least reasonably agree it's not a necessity, are motivated by a fucked up political climate that dissuades people from taking a step back from the war on terror.

Basically, while you are most assuredly right in that he's not technically a whistleblower, I don't have a lot of faith that a bona fide whistleblower could get an inch of traction in this climate. I would not be surprised to find that someone making that move would as likely land quietly in a supermax as on the front page of The Guardian.

uh huh

Not rhetorical

So we agree he isn't a whistleblower, and just disagree as to whether he was right to commit a felony against the US government, release a ton of sensitive data publicly that could have compromised the US's diplomatic relationships and ongoing antiterrorism initiatives and flee justice to our nation's enemies based on his own personal morality. I'm fine with that as the disagreement. I can see that there are two sides, even if I find one very weak.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Whole lotta Lawful Neutrals all up in this thread.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

The_Joint_Staff_Org_Chart.jpg

So he went over the head of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and of the President of the United States, directly to the American People.

Unorthodox, but I'll allow it.

This is not particularly coherent considering the NSA is not included in that organizational chart. The NSA is not part of the DoD proper.

Its also the equivalent of telling a cop "I pay your salary!"

Director of National Intelligence is on the chart.

And it's more akin to telling the cop "I'm going to tell people about this and they will be more able to make an informed choice in the next election".

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Bethryn wrote: »

I'm cool with civil disobedience. But part of that is accepting punishment so that people see how unfair it is that the law demanded you be punished for your actions. If you flee justice you don't get to pull the civil disobedience card.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Yes, selling a Baa3 rated bond with an 8 year maturity to an elderly investor in poor health who indicated low risk tolerance on all of his account opening forms was totes okay because you disclosed the risks to him and it was within his investment objectives.

*flips table*

that wasn't the only thing in his portfolio, was it?

Oh, of course it was.

But the agent tells me it was suitable so we're okay right?

oh what the fuck

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options

I'm cool with civil disobedience. But part of that is accepting punishment so that people see how unfair it is that the law demanded you be punished for your actions. If you flee justice you don't get to pull the civil disobedience card.
    That's insane.

• Options

im chaotic good like drizz't

Scimitar!

Scimitar!

*twirls*

• Options
    I practice only uncivil disobedience.

The government says "Pay your taxes"
    I say "The fuck I will!"

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I guess we could do this in the Snowden thread

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited March 2015

That's insane.

No, that is almost the rote definition of civil disobedience.

People do sit ins at the capital, and when the cops come with the handcuffs they allow themselves to be arrested, preferably on camera, just because they were protesting the wages of teachers being cut / unions being dissolved.

Civil disobedience as a form of protest against injustice isn't breaking the law and then fleeing from the cops.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    when the government comes for me I give them two scimitars to the face!

• Options

Scimitar!

Scimitar!

*twirls*

Putting bracers of speed on your legs because your hands were fast enough but you gotta go fast is one of my favorite WTF moments in the books.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Nope
    Celebrimbor is the great smith of the elves who basically invented binding magic into physical objects

Sauron showed up in his kingdom and was like, what is happening fellow elves? it's a great day to be an elf and not a dark lord amirite?

I have a "make your own golden rings" starter kit, anyone want to play with it? also while you're at it why not bind some magic to them because it's fun to watch other people do that even though I totally know how to do that already

and he watched them make the rings and that's how he figured out how to make magic shit, so he made the one ring in secret to control the other ones (but they need to be tainted? I assume he has to wear them on his dick while he fucks an orc? the elven rings were never tainted)

TLDR:

No, but he did make or help make all of the rings of power except the one ring and he accidentally taught Sauron how to make the one ring

override367 on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Celebrimbor was tricked by Sauron into forging the Rings of Power. He was from the Ñoldor clan of Elves.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Scimitar!

Scimitar!

*twirls*

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I always get excited when well-known people post in internet comment threads. Like Maurice LaMarche posting in this io9 article about how he was born a whole 4 days earlier than Alec Baldwin, so Alec Baldwin is copying him

http://io9.com/why-announcers-voices-sound-so-much-different-than-they-1691157484?utm_source=recirculation&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=fridayAM

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »

Scimitar!

Scimitar!

*twirls*

Putting bracers of speed on your legs because your hands were fast enough but you gotta go fast is one of my favorite WTF moments in the books.

um you mean awesome moments

lightning kick!

scimitar!

scimitar!

*twirls*

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    No, celebrimbor was a smith dude and sauron was all like, I'm totally not an evil wizard dude lets be BFFs you should make me some sweet sweet rings of power. So celly made the rings cause he thought they were bros but then he realized he was actually an evil wizard after it was too late

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Well that is dumb bullshit. That would have been a pleasing twist.

And fit really nicely with the ritual at the start.

EDIT: Also, I appreciate the explanations but I accept that Celly is a person and the history and all that. My question was one of deception.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I practice only uncivil disobedience.

The government says "Pay your taxes"
    I say "The fuck I will!"

I practice uncivil obedience.

"Here's your fucking taxes."

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Getting mired in discussions of one man's character or the legal definitions of whistle blowing and civil disobedience is 100% missing the issue and failing to have the much more important conversation about the supra-legal and self-interested intelligence apparatus fyi hth

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Whenever I hear LotR summaries I get the urge to say "gesundheit" every other sentence

• Options
    when the government comes for me I give them two scimitars to the face!

guns.png

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    No, that is almost the rote definition of civil disobedience.

People do sit ins at the capital, and when the cops come with the handcuffs they allow themselves to be arrested, preferably on camera, just because they were protesting the wages of teachers being cut / unions being dissolved.

Civil disobedience as a form of protest against injustice isn't breaking the law and then fleeing from the cops.
    Again, Lawful Neutrals.

Getting arrested doesn't change the legitimacy of the complaint. It only affects how you get to be perceived as a martyr, dependent upon the the media being compliant with your point.

The problem of the NSA harvesting huge amounts of data with no public oversight is not made any more or less legitimate by whether Snowden spends the rest of his life in a cell without a door.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

A lot of people think it wasn't him.

Solely based on the fact that it doesn't really benefit him; you would have to look very hard for someone who would honestly claim that they thought Putin wouldn't have people in his way killed.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    literally the only fantasy novels I ever got my wife to read were the Drizz't books

and then later the...Lilith beanre? (some young drow wizard) spinoff series that my wife maybe identified a bit too closely with

Sir Landshark on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Fun tidbit about Snowden.

He was a contractor but was hired because the NSA asked the contracting company to hire him.

He also had like every clearance you can have. Man had access to all sorts of shit.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.