As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]BASIC

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I would name my scimitars "Sharpy" and "Sharpy 2"

pokey and mini-polearm

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    that feel when you get in a long line, hoping it ends where you think

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I think secrets should be illegal

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular

Fail.

Should be Sharpy and Stabby.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

sharpy 2: the sharpening: this time it's sharper: get sharped bitch!

Scimitar: the arabic answer to Machete.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    150312_1426195195.png

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    idgi

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I think secrets should be illegal

I think being a criminal should be illegal. Think about it.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I would name my swords Bill and Ted.

There would be adventure.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Bethryn wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Almost no one has a problem with government surveillance that follows the rule of law and due process. The justification for complaining about Snowden's revelations is that the government was improperly searching people's information outside the law. In order to forward his argument that the policies were outside the law (which is frankly not well supported, as FISA courts and metadata requests went to the SCOTUS 40 years ago and have been repeatedly upheld) he unquestionably broke the law and his oath.

The policies and goals a government should enact are a matter of opinion. Whether or not it should act lawfully is not. That's why whistleblowing is a thing
    No, this is what you do not get.

The justification for complaining about Snowden's revelations is that they were improperly searching people's information inside the law, because they are an arm of the governmental construct that makes it.

And whistleblowing having legal protections is a recursive argument to begin with:

"Why do we need to create this whistleblowing status?"
    "Because often the individuals blowing whistles have far less power than those they are blowing whistles against. They face serious, often legal, repercussions for acting ethically."
    "That seems fair. What circumstances do we want to protect whistleblowers in?"
    "Well, when they speak out against corporations performing something illegal."
    "What if they speak out against us performing something unethical, legally."
    "I don't know about that; let's not include that in our legal definition of whistleblower."
    "Yeah, that way anyone speaking out against us doing something unethical, legally, does not have protection from a far greater power than themselves, which is to our benefit."

Just stop trying to make your own definition of it. Whistleblowing is about blowing the whistle on illegal activities.

"Activist" is the word we use for people who speak out against legal activities.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    @spacekungfuman did you listen to that Lupe album

What did you think

poo
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Cinders wrote: »
    Guys, have you considered talking about Snowden in the Snowden thread?

On the other hand, its nice to see a discussion without people getting crowded out by some of the standby posters in other DnD threads

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    I did say it already but I'll say it again absent the monster doublequote tree that I just tried and failed to cut down XD

If the legal definition of a whistleblower is correct as earlier stated, then I agree he is not technically a whistleblower.

I just find that to be a bit on the semantics side, since he is performing pretty much the same function. People who find what he's done distasteful seem to be hung up on the fact that he's staying out of reach of the legal system while doing it.

I find this to be okay in this situation, since I am pretty confident that if he hadn't, we would never have heard about any of this shit. That it would have been practically impossible for him to do this the technically correct way due to the nature of the information itself combined with our current political climate.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I think all pants except hotpants should be illegal.

I would appreciate the absurdity of wearing my pinstripe hotpants to business meetings.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    The idea that the Patriot Act is the basis for what Snowden leaked is also not true. There are numerous examples of similar programs that pre-date the Bush Presidency. ECHELON, Carnivore, Squidgygate, etc.

What the Bush Administration did that brought outrage was do (electronic) surveillance domestically without a warrant, even a low threshold FISA warrant. The problem was not the surveillance but the violation of the law by not requiring warrants. Shit like "Spy Agencies Spying!" and "Searches Conducted After Warrant Obtained!" should not be shocking.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    @spacekungfuman did you listen to that Lupe album

What did you think

I started listening to it but had to do something else. I liked the first few songs though.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    So SKFM makes a thing about how he shouldnt post in the Snowden thread because of the way he feels... so we have the discussion here instead?

Please no guys.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    that feel when you get in a long line, hoping it ends where you think

it ends at home

skippy come back to me

*baby come back plays in the background*

• Options
    "I don't know about that; let's not include that in our legal definition of whistleblower."
    "Yeah, that way anyone speaking out against us doing something unethical, legally, does not have protection from a far greater power than themselves, which is to our benefit."
    OK

Many people think rape shields are unethical and in violation of Constitutional rights to face one's accuser. Should people who release that information be protected by whistleblower laws?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    So SKFM makes a thing about how he shouldnt post in the Snowed thread because of the way he feels... so we have the discussion here instead?

Please no guys.

wouldn't be the first time a thread topic got dragged into chat

people are being generally civil and reasonable though

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

I would appreciate the absurdity of wearing my pinstripe hotpants to business meetings.

What an eyesore!

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

tumblr_mpc41bjil31qcumrfo1_1280.jpg

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    So SKFM makes a thing about how he shouldnt post in the Snowed thread because of the way he feels... so we have the discussion here instead?

Please no guys.

it's okay, we're near the end

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Zampanov wrote: »
    I did say it already but I'll say it again absent the monster doublequote tree that I just tried and failed to cut down XD

If the legal definition of a whistleblower is correct as earlier stated, then I agree he is not technically a whistleblower.

I just find that to be a bit on the semantics side, since he is performing pretty much the same function. People who find what he's done distasteful seem to be hung up on the fact that he's staying out of reach of the legal system while doing it.

I find this to be okay in this situation, since I am pretty confident that if he hadn't, we would never have heard about any of this shit. That it would have been practically impossible for him to do this the technically correct way due to the nature of the information itself combined with our current political climate.

whistleblowing and activism is a pretty important distinction: whistleblowing is unquestionably "right", since we're talking about somebody exposing breaches of the law. When it comes to stuff that's legal, well, then it's up for debate.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Cool glad you like

It's a very solid album

poo
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i got chills all through my body.

it's not pleasant.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I want more hummus.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

Please no guys.

it's okay, we're near the end

:winky: ?

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Sword and Other Sword

• Options
    OK

Many people think rape shields are unethical and in violation of Constitutional rights to face one's accuser. Should people who release that information be protected by whistleblower laws?

This isn't the reductio ad absurdum one might think it is. There's no way to make things apply only to the things you like.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    it's a legit question how big data surveillance should be considered compatible with the implied right to privacy, if there is one, to be read in the fourth amendment - it is however not really a question that Congress is prepared to weigh in on, in terms of offering a credible programme that would deter abuses, and likewise we're all pretty much sitting around waiting for SCOTUS to feel empowered to make the appropriate distinctions

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oabcM9SOF-E

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    the PAX Pox is mutating wildly.

Wednesday, i had fever and fatigue. Thursday it was runny nose and sinus pain, today it's a painful, dry cough.

Can't I just... y'know... have a stable illness? i'm not used to being sick. i'd like to make a complaint. Who do i send it to?

neti-pot, bro

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Wednesday, i had fever and fatigue. Thursday it was runny nose and sinus pain, today it's a painful, dry cough.

Can't I just... y'know... have a stable illness? i'm not used to being sick. i'd like to make a complaint. Who do i send it to?

neti-pot, bro

Brain eating parasites.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DdiFbQC.jpg

I love the clothing in Day Z standalone. Not just because it was silly with everyone walking around with the same old stupid skins, but also because like, I worry about repairing my boots or getting enough warm clothing and shit. And when I walk into a house I, I'm finding some clothes and a tin of beans. It feels much less silly.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »

neti-pot, bro

Brain eating parasites.

NYC water has very tiny crustaceans in it.

Do not want shrimp in my brain meats.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    The idea that the Patriot Act is the basis for what Snowden leaked is also not true. There are numerous examples of similar programs that pre-date the Bush Presidency. ECHELON, Carnivore, Squidgygate, etc.

What the Bush Administration did that brought outrage was do (electronic) surveillance domestically without a warrant, even a low threshold FISA warrant. The problem was not the surveillance but the violation of the law by not requiring warrants. Shit like "Spy Agencies Spying!" and "Searches Conducted After Warrant Obtained!" should not be shocking.

I think you're drawing a mistaken distinction here unless I missed something

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm pretty OK with people fleeing the wrath of their vengeful governments. Oh, he doesn't get to call himself [insert phrase]? Pfft, whatever. I'd take that route over solitary any day of the week.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    also I found a shotgun whoo.

No shells for it. I have the .22 dissassembled in my backpack, in case I have to shoot anything. I guess the shotgun could be useful for... intimidation?

yeah it's pretty useless. Hoping to find some shells.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I might treat myself to waffle from the truck today

poo
This discussion has been closed.