As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm Not Sorry [Feminism]

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    nuka wrote: »
    So Saint Andrew W.K. of Parties posted this in response to a man worried and stressed out about his girlfriend making more money than him.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2015/03/ask_andrew_wk_my_girlfriend_is_more_successful_than_me_and_its_stressing_me_out.php

Holy shit! I am very tempted to commit large swathes, if not the entire thing, to memory to be able to recite when situations like this arise in conversation.

What a beautiful sentiment.

@Strikor <3

That is indeed relevant to my situation!

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    V1m wrote: »
    Also for female SF/Fantasy writes: Mary Gentle.

Grunts! was a lot of fun, especially the early parts of the book. The ending was also kind of fun. The second half of the book, aside from the ending, was a bit of a drag.

EDIT: That feeling when you realized that it's been twenty years since you first read a certain book. Oomph. I was eleven when I first read Grunts! That probably says a lot about me as a child and what my family was like.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    Ahh Diana Wynne Jones.

No joke, Homeward Bounders was the first story (that includes movies, video games and whatnot) that actually made me cry

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    So Saint Andrew W.K. of Parties posted this in response to a man worried and stressed out about his girlfriend making more money than him.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2015/03/ask_andrew_wk_my_girlfriend_is_more_successful_than_me_and_its_stressing_me_out.php

Holy shit! I am very tempted to commit large swathes, if not the entire thing, to memory to be able to recite when situations like this arise in conversation.

Strikor <3

Strikor and I were discussing this type of thing last night, that's why I @'d him.

Now if someone can just find me a feminist essay to help me get over my lingering fear that I'm inadequate because I'm not pretty enough, I would appreciate it!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Animorphs was written by a woman. Or at least, some of Animorphs was written by a woman. Like, at least 20%.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Ok you dorks. Based entirely on the strength of that Estelle clip I did something I never do, I bought an entire season of a show online without first having watched even one episode. Steven Universe here I come.

post reactions in the Steven Universe thread pls

I love new viewer reactions

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Grunts! was a lot of fun, especially the early parts of the book. The ending was also kind of fun. The second half of the book, aside from the ending, was a bit of a drag.

EDIT: That feeling when you realized that it's been twenty years since you first read a certain book. Oomph. I was eleven when I first read Grunts! That probably says a lot about me as a child and what my family was like.

She wrote some other stuff as well.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Strikor wrote: »

Strikor <3

Strikor and I were discussing this type of thing last night, that's why I @'d him.

Now if someone can just find me a feminist essay to help me get over my lingering fear that I'm inadequate because I'm not pretty enough, I would appreciate it!

I don't have an essay, but I figure no matter what, you can always be fierce. And prettiness tends to fade with age, whereas badassery only gets better

... but yeah trying not to give a shit about that sort of thing takes a hell of a lot of effort.

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Homeward Bounders was so incredibly sad that it's hard for me to imagine it was written for children. Maybe they can cope better.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Also Tanith Lee. Her Tales From The Flat Earth series is a must read. It came out back in the 70's-80's and, while focusing a little too much on pretty people, has TONS of feminism as well as trans and gay characters. Definitely not safe for the YA crown tho.

tla45a.jpg

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Definitely Tanith Lee. Drinking Sapphire Wine is gorgeous and amazing.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Sofi Oksanen is someone I've been interested in. I've already been reading up on Baltic history a bit, so it'll be great to see what she has to say on the matter. Buying an e-book right now.

Oh man, this is basically "Eesti mention potato in hunger ranting. Secret police send Eesti to gulag for thought crime. Such is life." the book.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Quoth wrote: »
    Homeward Bounders was so incredibly sad that it's hard for me to imagine it was written for children. Maybe they can cope better.

Dogsbody is the one that got me. Bleak as fuck.

• Options
    Definitely Tanith Lee. Drinking Sapphire Wine is gorgeous and amazing.

The woman can literally spin words into some of the most gorgeous stuff.

And then sometimes, rarely, she just writes whiney, goth sex.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    ...I'm almost curious as to what "whiney, goth sex" entails, but at the same time I've already spent enough of my lifetime around Vampire: The Masquerade LARPers, so nope nope nope.

• Options
    Alert: it seems quite a few selections from Ms. Lee's collection of works are free on Amazon if you have Kindle Unlimited!

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    That whole "My girlfriend is more successful, what do I do" thing reminds me of a neat couple of characters in Young Justice.

Namely, Malcolm (who becomes Guardian) and Karen (Bumblbee).

Karen is Ray Palmer's student and lab assistant, and thus gets access to his tech and is able to be a cool superhero, while her boyfriend is

Well, he's just kind of there, at first.

Eventually, because of his relationship with her, he get some combat training, and eventually proves himself qualified to go on missions with the team, but for the most part he seems to kinda feel like he's in her shadow and kinda wishes she spent more time with him.

He doesn't let it get to him, though, and he mostly just tries to be as supportive as he can because he loves her and that's what you're supposed to do.

It was a fairly small part of season 2, but it stood out to me and I liked it quite a bit.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    lets be honest: who really wants to be xander

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    ...I'm almost curious as to what "whiney, goth sex" entails, but at the same time I've already spent enough of my lifetime around Vampire: The Masquerade LARPers, so nope nope nope.

The only tanith lee I ever read was something to do with a werewolf

... whiny and goth basically covered it, yeah.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

Have you happened to read Kill the Dead, another book by her? I want to read it based on the title alone, because yes please

• Options
    i have literally read one book by her so... pretty sure nope!

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    What about comics if writer is white, but artist is female and is the set artist for the series?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    CliffCliff Registered User regular
    What about comics if writer is white, but artist is female and is the set artist for the series?

Look but don't read, obviously.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    That's how you're meant to consume comics anyway.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Whiney Goth Sex is the name of my new folk jazz album.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I'm sorry, but you're just going to need to go a year without Saga.

On the bright side, there will be plenty waiting for you by the time you can read it again.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Have you happened to read Kill the Dead, another book by her? I want to read it based on the title alone, because yes please

Kill the Dead is great, worth it. It's about a professional ghost killer and his protege

Whiny goth werewolf was NOT Heartbeast which is an amazing ACTUAL gothic novel and a great read; I'm sure it was the other one about fraternal twin werewolves who are whiny jerks.

edit: I think it was called Lycanthia

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    That article just made me realize that Andrew W.K. is the Mr. Rogers of rock & roll.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @Forty two for some light fantasy, there's also Mercedes Lackey and Elizabeth Hayden. Who were some of my favourites around that age. Also, also, Non-fiction, I'd aim at Doris Kearns Goodwin. Her Lincoln Bio in specific is really good and fairly easily accessible to that age.

Don't forget your older authors/poets as well. Beatrix Potter, Mary Shelley, Emily Dickinson, Anne Bradstreet, etc.

Also Maya Angelou and Toni Morrison

• Options
    Nah pretty sure it was heartbeat

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    I currently make more money than @Javen and he's only bothered by it in the sense that we make kind of shit money either way

We're so progressive

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    yeah I would want my SO to make more money than I do because if they don't then our financial situation would be dire

• Options
    By "more money" I mean "slightly closer to the poverty line"

Just kidding we get by okay

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I wish my wife would make more money than I do so I could quit my job and have her support me and I could be super lazy.

That'd be nice.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »
    I wish my wife would make more money than I do so I could quit my job and have her support me and I could be super lazy.

That'd be nice.

Dude if @Javen made bank enough for us both to live on, I would quit my job and do my hobbies all day IN A SECOND

Also vice versa, but a lot of my hobbies could also generate money so I like the first one better

• Options
    I would like to caution people about Mercedes Lackey, having just reread a book of hers I loved as a teen

It was the kind of misogyny that is couched in "this is just how things were back then but these characters are marginally better LOOK AT THEM BALKING CONVENTION SLIGHTLY" and it made me more frowny than I had hoped

She can also be a bit frying pan to the head when she's actively trying to be progressive about stuff, which can be more or less annoying depending on your mood and general sensitivity to such things

The specific book I'm referring to is The Fire Rose

I also loved her Bardic Voices series as a kid but it didn't hold up as well either :-\

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »

That'd be nice.

Dude if Javen made bank enough for us both to live on, I would quit my job and do my hobbies all day IN A SECOND

Also vice versa, but a lot of my hobbies could also generate money so I like the first one better

If only reading books and playing video games generated money...

That would be a pretty great excuse to really get into a new hobby or two or three though. I always wanted to try my hand at blacksmithing and art/music.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Not that I am judging anyone for liking her stuff! It is totally fine, and probably not a bad way to get kids to think about some issues of they aren't already attuned to them

• Options
    Nah pretty sure it was heartbeat

Then you were wrong

This discussion has been closed.