Options

Pillars of Eternity: It's out! Reviews are great!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Preloading now.

As someone who hasn't kept up on any of the Kickstarter progress updates, i'm pretty excited. It's been a long time coming, looking forward to seeing how my first Kickstarted game turns out.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Glad I had to stay up late for work!

wmau9wjjsj44.png

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I'm getting my preload on right now as well. I've been nervous that somehow it wouldn't pan out, but everything seems to be going fine.

This has been a great week for gaming. I can't wait!

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I just redeemed my key on GOG and check this out:
    qd5RkV0.png

DLC confirmed? Or maybe they're just referring to kickstarter rewards, it's unclear at this point

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I only have one listed with the basic edition. Did you get one of the more expensive bundles? I'm assuming they're some of the digital rewards in addition to the preorder bonus.

Artereis on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Glad I had to stay up late for work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I presume that when they say the game is available on March 26th, I hope they mean worldwide. I'd prefer not to be stuck waiting until tomorrow afternoon 24 hours from now
    Artereis wrote: »
    I only have one listed with the basic edition. Did you get one of the more expensive bundles? I'm assuming their some of the digital rewards in addition to the preorder bonus.

I got the kickstarter champion edition, so that's likely it.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    I just redeemed my key on GOG and check this out:
    qd5RkV0.png

DLC confirmed? Or maybe they're just referring to kickstarter rewards, it's unclear at this point

The DLC could be the pre-order items.

There's also going to be a day 1 patch.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm all preloaded now.

Makes the kicking and screaming of incredibly-entitled internet brats all the more pathetic for being unable to wait the few extra to download a game they can't even play yet anyway.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    yay preloading on steam

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I'd expect an e-mail telling me my keys are available and I can preload.

Not gonna preload, though. Think I'll just wait patiently until tomorrow when I can actually play. I don't want that game sitting in my Steam library, unplayable, taunting me.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    But...the whole point of preloading is to get you into the game faster.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Backer boxed copies all contain unprotected versions of the game. No Steam, SecuROM or anything else. If the planet is overrun by a zombie apocalypse, and you happen to live in Alexandria and have a modernish PC with a DVD-ROM drive, you'll still be able to play Eternity without any initial online connections! We will have loose patches available for this version once it's released too, that can be downloaded from our site.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    But...the whole point of preloading is to get you into the game faster.

My internet's fast enough that downloading is usually less of an annoyance and more of an exciting period of rising anticipation and hype.

It's all part of the experience, you know.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
    So I see that I can generate a code for either steam or GoG. I also opted for the collector's box set. If I redeem my code to pre-load, will I be unable to receive my box, you think?

2.jpg
    3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Underwhelming and out of date, as expected. All the sexy stuff is in the Guidebook and Campaign Almanac (which, allah-willing, will become available this evening)...

http://eternity.obsidian.net/manual/errata

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    There are 8 companions. There are no barbarian, monk, or rogue companions. This might help you pick a class. Though I think you can create NPCs of any class to fill out your party, they just don't have any real writing.

captaink on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    captaink wrote: »
    There are 8 companions. There are no barbarian, monk, or rogue companions. This might help you pick a class. Though I think you can create NPCs of any class to fill out your party, they just don't have any real writing.

I usually save my unarmed ass-beater run for a second time through the game... buuuut I might make an exception for this and play a monk first thing.

EDIT: I just went to redeem my digital key, and now I'm crippled with indecision as I Try to choose between Steam and GOG.

Don't make me choose, baby.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Hooray, preloading 6gb. So exciting.

• Options
    6gb? i thought it was a 14gb install?

anyway:

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I don't want to go all RPG Codex on them, but an email saying my key was available on the Backer Portal would have been nice. (Now I'm supposed to threaten someone's family or spout fake entitlement legalese about a shareholder takeover, right?)

In other news: PRELOADIN'!!!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Backers are getting the game for $20 less than people who pre-order.

Yeah, I was quite surprised when I saw that the game was $45, not because that's the wrong price or anything, but because I backed at a whopping $20 and figured the final game would likely be not much more than that. I'm pretty happy to have saved that much money since I'd have purchased this either way.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

Yeah, I was quite surprised when I saw that the game was $45, not because that's the wrong price or anything, but because I backed at a whopping $20 and figured the final game would likely be not much more than that. I'm pretty happy to have saved that much money since I'd have purchased this either way.

$25 savings for early birds. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »

$25 savings for early birds. :)

Fuck yeah. I'm a little wary of KS stuff unless it's for making more of a thing that's already proven (like, I had no qualms about Bones miniatures or the Dwarven Forge dungeon tiles I got for my D&D games), but much like when someone asks you if you are a god, when Obsidian says "Do you want another IE-style game?", you say YES.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Kinda bummed that I couldn't back this, but on the other hand, when I do finally pick it up, bug fixes and mods. Probably going to bow out of the thread soon to avoid spoilers, but I am really curious to hear your impressions.

• Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    Might increases all damage in PoE. Wizards are focused on AoE damage. Thus the best Wizards are swoll as hell.
    Time to make an Aumaua muscle mage.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Keys are out? Nothing on the site about it! On the main page, that is.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    wgrenwgren Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    They are out, yes. Log in to your account, click products. https://eternity.obsidian.net/account

wgren on
  • Options
    Might increases all damage in PoE. Wizards are focused on AoE damage. Thus the best Wizards are swoll as hell.

My understanding is that Might doesn't just mean muscles, which is why it applies to all damage. Though I guess you could make a melee mage.

• Options

My understanding is that Might doesn't just mean muscles, which is why it applies to all damage. Though I guess you could make a melee mage.
    Yeah, it stands for both physical and spiritual power. If you have a strong soul you have a strong body and vice versa. Kind of odd but also cool in a way. If bears ever figure out magic humanity's screwed.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I CAST FIST!

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    6gb? i thought it was a 14gb install?

anyway:

"I have to go now. My planet needs me."

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    saw a shot of the spell book and saw that it goes up to level 10 even though i know there are only up to
    level 6
    spells in the game. made me squeal. i fucking loved that in bg1, seeing that you have the capacity others do too in the world but you won't probably won't get there until the sequel. or a mod adds level 8 spells to random drops on gibberlings like that spawn/bgt mod enjoys to do.

it really helps sell the world better and its so simple.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    With such a low level cap, I wonder if we'll see anything other Obsidian games have had, where you learn/earn new abilities outside the traditional leveling mechanic. I hope we're not going hours and hours between chances to make interesting character ability choices and/or gaining new abilities.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

I usually save my unarmed ass-beater run for a second time through the game... buuuut I might make an exception for this and play a monk first thing.

Fire Godlike monk! Either that or a blunderbuss-wielding rogue. Not sure yet.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    With such a low level cap, I wonder if we'll see anything other Obsidian games have had, where you learn/earn new abilities outside the traditional leveling mechanic. I hope we're not going hours and hours between chances to make interesting character ability choices and/or gaining new abilities.

its slow levelling like the IE games. there are lots more abilities though by the looks of things.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    mmm, preloading done.

Now I just gotta finish this essay introduction and send it in before tomorrow, then I can play until the weekend at least!

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Kinda tempted to roll a Priest of Eothas as I'm 99.9% sure the plot will involve him on at least some level.

Grey Paladin on
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Priest or paladin seems fun mainly since they seem to go kinda hard on the roleplaying aspect with regards to your choice of god.

But first run is probably rogue or barbarian, just to make sure I don't overlap with an awesome party member.