Options

This is the old [STEAM] thread. Please buy the new thread mod for $4.99.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Steam's recommendation engine really is pretty decent at showing me things I'd like to at least look at. It isn't up to Amazon standards but it's probably in the top two or three after that. I am fully on board with a massive, faceless corporation analyzing my past purchasing and play habits to try to more effectively get me to spend money. PSN doesn't do a bad job at this either.

The bottom spot is, of course, Nintendo's eShop, which consistently recommends absolutely nothing I want and I'm not sure has any algorithm more advanced than "these are the most recent titles, please buy one"

• Options
    EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular
    anyways, I may be sucker, but you guys may as well profit from it:
    signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Discovery queue needs one thing to be just right: the ability to reset "Not Interested." I don't know about you guys, but my tastes have evolved over time. I can't guarantee something that doesn't interest me now might not interest me a year from now. I'd like to be able to have a killswitch to reset that at some future point.

Also, it'd be cool to have a "don't show me this until it's no longer Early Access" button. Not all early access is created equal, but I can't count the number of times where I've seen something in the queue and went "I don't want this right now. But depending on the direction it goes until it's released?"

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I just went through my discovery queue. This thing would be better if I didn't go through a dozen games and every single one of them listed as "in your queue because this game is popular."

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Woo! I just noticed today that I finally completed one of my Steam personal goals! 50% average completion rate for games with achievements. :star:
    This was supposed to have happened a lot sooner this year but GW2 got in the way (Corrigan is still a monster). Now to try and keep it that way since it will probably go down a bit every time I start a new game or an update adds a bunch of achievements (looking at you Payday 2).

8jQtG63.jpg

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    28 perfect games as well. I think I have like 3, and that's just because a lot of the time the TellTale games don't take a whole lot of extra effort to get all the achievements.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I asked Steam to show me my average game completion rate.

My computer froze, then rebooted, and all I got was this on my monitor:

p7m1nti0b6t6.gif

:?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Saints Row having a 3.5 game as a squad based RTS on the Dow2 engine would make me so happy.

Blowing up a tank and getting a purple dildo bat covered in flavor text.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    https://www.indiegala.com/

For all you Ricky Steamboaters out there, this week's Indie Gala bundle is up. Some interesting looking titles, but most notably Freedom Planet is part of the bundle, for as little as $2.99.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I've never been one for "getting all the cheevos". I've had an Xbox 360, the original achievement machine, since day one holy shit that was almost a decade ago, and have got all the cheevos on precisely two games.

Double Dragon (arcade original) and Mass Effect 2, for the record.

That's just not the way I tend to enjoy games.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I asked Steam to show me my average game completion rate.

My computer froze, then rebooted, and all I got was this on my monitor:

p7m1nti0b6t6.gif

:?

You forgot to hook up the doll.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

For all you Ricky Steamboaters out there, this week's Indie Gala bundle is up. Some interesting looking titles, but most notably Freedom Planet is part of the bundle, for as little as $2.99.

Freedom Planet is WONDERFUL. If you like Sonic the Hedgehog, Gunstar Heroes, or Megaman X, you need to get it now.

There are bars of the Flying Battery Zone theme in the airship level music. There is a running tiger boss that shoots lasers out of it's mouth. It has another boss that has all of Storm Eagle's moves.

All of the bosses so far have required lots of movement and evasion. The fields I've fought in have been huge and put the mostly-single-screen boss fights from classic Sonic to shame.

There are three characters, they have a decent move set, and they all play fairly differently. Some of them can use level elements that others cannot. One of them has tails-like flying. Another one can get a motorcycle power up that allows absurd speed and lasts as long as you can keep the bike from getting destroyed. Another one just blasts forward horizontally until you hit something or run out of energy. So many level-breaking speed run possibilities.

It takes me like twenty minutes of breakneck speed to clear a single level. My current estimate is that once all the stages are unlocked, it'll take me about two hours to speed run the whole game. (I'm going significantly slower right now.) That's huge. I think it's about the size of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but I'm nowhere near done yet.

So, yeah. It's the best platformer since Sonic Generations and the recent Rayman games. It's definitely the best 2D speed-oriented platformer since RunMan: Race Around the World.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    83.8MB update for Space Marine? What's that all about?

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    83.8MB update for Space Marine? What's that all about?

Probably 80MB of Sega logos.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    9cds77osjqvo.jpg

Look at this insanity! Just look at it! @Stolls is just bonkers!

Classiness taken to ludicrous heights! Craziness!

Also...

PixieSquee.png

Thanks, you classy monster! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Discovery queue needs one thing to be just right: the ability to reset "Not Interested." I don't know about you guys, but my tastes have evolved over time. I can't guarantee something that doesn't interest me now might not interest me a year from now. I'd like to be able to have a killswitch to reset that at some future point.

Also, it'd be cool to have a "don't show me this until it's no longer Early Access" button. Not all early access is created equal, but I can't count the number of times where I've seen something in the queue and went "I don't want this right now. But depending on the direction it goes until it's released?"

Not interested is (for me) for things like visual novels or RTS or Tower Defense, or anything else that just will never be my thing.

Following is something that looks good, be it released or early access, but I'll have to take a second look/wait for the full release.

Wishlist for me is "if I had money to get it right now, it would just . . . be mine".

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    Woo! I just noticed today that I finally completed one of my Steam personal goals! 50% average completion rate for games with achievements. :star:
    This was supposed to have happened a lot sooner this year but GW2 got in the way (Corrigan is still a monster). Now to try and keep it that way since it will probably go down a bit every time I start a new game or an update adds a bunch of achievements (looking at you Payday 2).

8jQtG63.jpg

Congrats!

Now to get THIS completion rate over 50% ;)

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So for TF2 Friday night, do we have a server? I thought we had a server? If not, does anyone have one to recommend we take over for a few hours?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Nice one, @Stolls. <3

EDIT: Good God, I spoke too soon. You are a class typhoon!!!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Frem wrote: »

Freedom Planet is WONDERFUL. If you like Sonic the Hedgehog, Gunstar Heroes, or Megaman X, you need to get it now.

There are bars of the Flying Battery Zone theme in the airship level music. There is a running tiger boss that shoots lasers out of it's mouth. It has another boss that has all of Storm Eagle's moves.

All of the bosses so far have required lots of movement and evasion. The fields I've fought in have been huge and put the mostly-single-screen boss fights from classic Sonic to shame.

There are three characters, they have a decent move set, and they all play fairly differently. Some of them can use level elements that others cannot. One of them has tails-like flying. Another one can get a motorcycle power up that allows absurd speed and lasts as long as you can keep the bike from getting destroyed. Another one just blasts forward horizontally until you hit something or run out of energy. So many level-breaking speed run possibilities.

It takes me like twenty minutes of breakneck speed to clear a single level. My current estimate is that once all the stages are unlocked, it'll take me about two hours to speed run the whole game. (I'm going significantly slower right now.) That's huge. I think it's about the size of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but I'm nowhere near done yet.

So, yeah. It's the best platformer since Sonic Generations and the recent Rayman games. It's definitely the best 2D speed-oriented platformer since RunMan: Race Around the World.

@Frem @Drake and everyone else who posts reviews like this. I just wanted to say that I really appreciate these thoughtful reviews that you take the time to write. The thought and enthusiasm really carry over and even if it doesn't get me to buy the game, it's because you have helped me know that it's not my kind of game. Your genuine interest and enthusiasm carry a lot more weight for me than pretty much all gaming journalism and more than once have I found myself buying games solely on the recommendations of this thread.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Sumanai wrote: »

[ img]http://i.imgur.com/8jQtG63.jpg[ /img]

Congrats!

Now to get THIS completion rate over 50% ;)

Oh, I'd forgotten about that one. Hasn't updated in forever, guess I should refresh it. But yeah, that one isn't going to happen anytime soon, if ever haha!

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Heya guys! I haven't done a giveaway in a while so here's a little one for now! They end Saturday night!

signature.png

signature.png

I also have 3 Heroes of the Storm beta keys still. If anyone wants one send me a message!

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Aw shucks, you're more than welcome, Pixie. Enjoy :)

*twiddles thumbs*

Also here are more Pillars of Eternity codes. Go nuts, help yourselves, and let me know if I mistyped any of them.

Loading...?

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Damn @Stolls you glorious person! Thank you!

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    It just wouldn't feel right for me to snag one of those codes, I hardly come into this thread

What I did come in for is Hotline Miami 2. I loved the first game, thoughts on #2? Anyone have the full soundtrack and the special edition with the remixes? Remixes worth the extra $5?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Picked up one of those. Thank you very much @Stolls.

Nobody! Take note of this person and bring down your...well I guess it's not wrath. Blessings? Favor? Eh just throw gifts at him.

• Options
    subisubi Registered User regular
    Got one ! Thank you @Stolls :)

• Options
    Rebel scum have taken one of our worlds and flow like vermin across the newly opened corridor. Resolve this in the name of the Emperor!

Yeah, sorely tempted to drop this game and load up that mod.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »

*twiddles thumbs*

Also here are more Pillars of Eternity codes. Go nuts, help yourselves, and let me know if I mistyped any of them.

Loading...?

I grabbed one too! You are a crazy class monster, @Stolls! Thank you so much

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

Curious, did you have any frame rate chugs going full screen or is my system just showing its age a bit? Super fun either way and I second the recommendation. I really like the music as well, it's nostalgic but still sounds current somehow.

• Options
    I just beat the first level of freedom planet full screen and I didn't have any frame rate issues.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    @Talus9952
    So, Talus being the classiest of people just sent me a message containing a code. The only clue being it's not dragons.
    Why it's Batman: GOTY. I don't know what I've done to deserve this, but thanks!

• Options
    Are there any monkeys, super intelligent or otherwise, in Wasteland 2? I suddenly realize there aren't enough monkeys as NPC's in video games.

• Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »

*twiddles thumbs*

Loading...?
    Just wishlisted this game and I missed the codes.

To love and win is the best thing, to love and lose the next best.

To the wishlist!

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    *looks at graphs*

Which means that those of us who want to opt out of all of that crap are never going to get the option. Faaaantastic.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Are there any monkeys, super intelligent or otherwise, in Wasteland 2? I suddenly realize there aren't enough monkeys as NPC's in video games.

Wasteland 2 is set in Arizona so not really.

Now Sunless Sea has an island kingdom of intelligent apes. They get intelligence by stealing the souls of humans, but intelligent! And willing to pay you for helping them build a zeppelin by shuttling over supplies, fuel, and . . . .souls . . .

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I wasn't sad about this before, but no there isn't.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Wasteland 2 is set in Arizona so not really.

Now Sunless Sea has an island kingdom of intelligent apes. They get intelligence by stealing the souls of humans, but intelligent! And willing to pay you for helping them build a zeppelin by shuttling over supplies, fuel, and . . . .souls . . .

Dem Honey Badgers doe.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular

As others have said no, but what they didn't mention was you can get your very own E.T. that runs around acts like a meatshield and really wants candy. You can feed him candy, you can feed him not-candy but if you feed him too much not-candy he runs away.

This discussion has been closed.