As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Test Your Might [Mortal Kombat X Thread]

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Kung Jin gonna get normalized.

have they said anything about this?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Kung Jin gonna get normalized.

have they said anything about this?

Nah, but NRS did it the last two games.

Though they did listen a lot to feedback between mk9, and injustice and I am hoping that extends to how they look at balance changes.

• Options
    I totally get that people in the fighting game community strongly feel that you shouldn't react too quickly on nerfs

but kung jin seems nutso

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Why aren't revenant skins default for Liu Kang and Kung Lao

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I think 40% is a bit high for meterless bnb, but a few characters roll around 35%, and I would rather see how the community reacts to him before changing the system.

There might be options that shutdown bojitsu in a heartbeat, and all that variation has going for it is that combo.

That's not enough for me to justify a damage tweak after the first post-release tournament.

Also still mad props for NRS. The game is beautiful and fun.

• Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Yo who is on XBone and is also completely terrible at this game like me?

Yo! LordFeriluce on XBL

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Balance patches make sense for broken things (Spectral Ermac's air blast giving 1 bar of meter) but it's far too early in the game to decide if Kung Jin does too much damage or Erron Black's mixup game is too safe.

I hope Netherrealm doesn't make the mistakes they made with Injustice by trying to balance aggressively like a World of Warcraft patch instead of treating it like a fighting game that needs a long time to develop.

There are still unreleased DLC characters whose matchups have not even been explored. No character's balance can exist without being relative to the rest of the cast and the full cast doesn't even exist yet.

• Options
    Walt wrote: »
    Balance patches make sense for broken things (Spectral Ermac's air blast giving 1 bar of meter) but it's far too early in the game to decide if Kung Jin does too much damage or Erron Black's mixup game is too safe.

I hope Netherrealm doesn't make the mistakes they made with Injustice by trying to balance aggressively like a World of Warcraft patch instead of treating it like a fighting game that needs a long time to develop.

There are still unreleased DLC characters whose matchups have not even been explored. No character's balance can exist without being relative to the rest of the cast and the full cast doesn't even exist yet.

I didn't know about this ermac business, that's hilarious.

Also I was playing around with kitana for an hour or so, in glaive mode. Then just before I decided to stop searching for combos, I switched to royal storm and learned the beauty of the fan

Sweet, sweet fans

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Took MKX to a friend's house on Saturday and was beaten by a man jumping forward with Mileena and mashing the buttons as hard as he could.

There were blisters. I was salty.

• Options
    Anybody up for a KOTH this evening? 830/9-ish EST?

also have this really cool cosplay of d'vorah

11053462_797591716990426_6006117020116386308_o.jpg

• Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    i would love to get a PA KOTH going on PC tonight if anyone is interested

i know walt and a couple of others have asked me to play, but i've been doing a lot of side work so I haven't been playing but a KOTH tonight would be greatttt

and, just to chime in on kung jin, he does seem very strong, but his strengths are simple and that's usually not a good thing.

i could see him remaining strong but falling out of the meta when the more complex characters get time. kind of the way Wesker did in Marvel.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    Shit, right, err, PS4

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    This one is down for KOTH tonight.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Is there a recommended setting for inputs? I've tried the various shortcut features, but I just can't get into a groove where I can bust out combos and specials the way I want to.

I stuck to alternate directional inputs, and did a bit better, but it feels like I should stick to the normal method. I especially struggle with any "left-right-button" special moves.

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    What kind of controller are you using? If you're on pad, are you using the d-pad or the stick for movement?

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Man this game is just not interested in teaching you...anything huh

• Options
    How I shot web

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    The tutorial is pretty thorough, gangly.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    I didn't see a tutorial! I just hit one player and it was like here you go fight this elder god and i was like uhhhhh ok

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    You can select the tutorial after you click on the practice option under singleplayer.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Fig-D wrote: »
    What kind of controller are you using? If you're on pad, are you using the d-pad or the stick for movement?

PS4 controller. Tried analog and d-pad, just can't get a handle for it.

• Options
    the best tutorial is playing me online until you git gud

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    you may find turning off negative edge helpful if you didnt already

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    left right inputs are really strict in MKX, even more so with alternate (Street Fighter style) on. gotta practice and make sure you aren't hitting diagonals

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Fig-D wrote: »

PS4 controller. Tried analog and d-pad, just can't get a handle for it.

Pretty much what Walt already said. The analog stick on the PS4 doesn't give you any feedback for your corners, so it can be hard to get used to. Just go into training mode, turn on the input display and do back/forward motions. You'll probably see a fair share of diagonals. Look down at your hands and do it again. Look up at the screen to see if you've created less diagonal inputs. Repeat until you don't see diagonals. Once you figure out what you have to do to not hit these diagonals, just do that motion over and over again. You're training your muscle memory to pull it of the right way when you need to later.

I don't recommend alternate controls because MK was not designed with them in mind so a bunch of moves have overlapping directional commands.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Think I'm getting the hang of it now. Training myself to take my thumbs off the controller helps in addition to the negative edge option.

Couple more questions though.

1. Is there no way to look up combos that can combo into special moves? Could have sworn the last game listed those.

2. How in the flying fuck are you supposed to hit the buttons in Test Your Might? Are you supposed to mash all four buttons at once? I can barely get the circle down halfway.

• Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    Think I'm getting the hang of it now. Training myself to take my thumbs off the controller helps in addition to the negative edge option.

Couple more questions though.

1. Is there no way to look up combos that can combo into special moves? Could have sworn the last game listed those.

2. How in the flying fuck are you supposed to hit the buttons in Test Your Might? Are you supposed to mash all four buttons at once? I can barely get the circle down halfway.

There are short 3-4 hit combos listed on the second page of the move list. You are supposed to mash as many buttons as possible, the best way I have found is to take a pen and rub the side of it along the face buttons.

Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • Options
    @langly did you find the tutorial

it is super helpful

• Options
    @langly did you find the tutorial

it is super helpful

i did, it's at the very bottom of the menu when you select one player and I didn't see it under the other stuff before.

• Options
    Cool glad you found it

I need to play some more tonight I don't wanna get rusty

• Options
    i'm basically just playing it because i wanted to play through the story mode, i am just not...able to do MP fighters.

i have found that jump, down attack into crouch, then immediately uppercut drives the cpu insane

• Options
    my kotal kahn looked like a huge blue frogman

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    i'm basically just playing it because i wanted to play through the story mode, i am just not...able to do MP fighters.

i have found that jump, down attack into crouch, then immediately uppercut drives the cpu insane

This is very funny because this is basically how you play mortal kombat 2

keep it rolling sir

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I just started the chapter where you're sonya and her uppercut is a like, two legged kick and I was like oh man will my strategy even work now, without punches

turns out yes

Langly on
  • Options
    I just started the chapter where you're sonya and her uppercut is a like, two legged kick and I was like oh man will my strategy even work now, without punches

turns out yes

The sweep (back + circle/b/back kick) and uppercut are universal in how they work but they look different for each character

• Options
    The CPU adapts to how good you are at the game for story mode. If you lose a bunch it gets easier and if you do a bunch of 35% kombos and get flawless victories it ramps up to hardest quickly. Fun for all!

• Options
    I have been getting *awards* for doing so many uppercuts, does this make my uppercuts more uppercutty or does it just give me an award

• Options
    here's my question, how do jax's arms work now that he's undead. where does he get ammunition, what powers it

i need to know

• Options
    here's my question, how do jax's arms work now that he's undead. where does he get ammunition, what powers it

i need to know

magic