As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STEAM! Sale begins June 11th. IT HAS BEGUN!

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    alright my download is complete

now uh

how do I shoot mans

Tap right mouse, then hold left mouse till dead.

Exo actions and shooting put you on the radar, use the radar to find people doing that, murder them, then slip away.

Shift is sprint. There is also crouching and going prone but running up behind people is all I did. Never really stopped moving.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    haha what

that's amazing

I didn't know it actually had a story tied to it

the story so far is the best part, the gameplay's a bit shallow

the idea is that five stuntmen work for a studio that's making a power rangers pastiche, and the director is super mean and domineering (the tutorial is presented as him yelling a bunch of instructions that they all already know)

so they decide to quit and form their own studio, where they don't just get to do the stunts but also play the out-of-suit versions of the characters and have full creative control

and then the game is broken up into "episodes" which sort of fluidly slide back and forth between what the stuntmen are doing with the development of their show and what the actual plot of the episode is

so like one episode is about how one of the stuntment has a dentist appointment and has to leave the taping early, so the others brainstorm a plot where he's been kidnapped by the villain and they're trying to rescue him so that they can finish the episode

or another one is where their costumes are still at the dry cleaners so they have to come up with an excuse for why their characters can't transform

and then as you grow you upgrade the studio and decide which marketing firm you want and so on

it's a very fun, optimistic look at how independant creators can come together and make something great, and how they can manage the limitations of their financial situation while also experiencing a huge amount of creative freedom by being the ones in charge (a few episodes literally just have someone they don't know burst onto the set and they just improv it into the plot of the episode)

This wasn't on my radar at all (Power Rangers ain't super my jam), but that post has skyrocketed my interest.

That sounds dingdang fascinating and fun.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    in the early going you have three choices for marketing

you can have your buddy Dave tweet about your show

you can get your friend's dad who's an accountant help you buy local ad spots

or you can hire a marketing firm

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    alright my download is complete

now uh

how do I shoot mans

select your pistol
    then, select your mans

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    pistol? what do you think this is, halo 1?

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    The Crew is mighty tempting.

I played it on PS4 and I liked it. Racing plus a real dumb story plus RPG-lite part finding. The open world USA map was cool too.

• Options
    select your scoped XR23 assault rifle
    then, select your mans

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    How's the combat layer in Chroma Squad

Like the strategy layer sounds fascinating but mediocre combat might sink the whole thing for me

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    How's the combat layer in Chroma Squad

Like the strategy layer sounds fascinating but mediocre combat might sink the whole thing for me

i'm still early in, but it's very light

i've never had a unit go down until the "season 1 finale" episode, which as you can expect was a little harder

it's functional and easy to work with but the combat difficulty is low enough that i haven't gotten a ton of satisfaction out of it

but, that said, i'm playing on normal, and there's a difficulty level above that so maybe the solution was just to take that

• Options
    Btw, Chroma Squad is a general sentai game, not actually that Power Rangers inspired. It's just that Haim Saban came down on them during development and I assume that the "inspired by" line (and maybe cuts from the profit?) is a compromise they had to agree to.
    So dumb

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Man the shotguns in planetside 2 are fucking garbage.

For awhile at least, one or two of them were suuuper brokenly strong and anyone that could use them did.

• Options
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Btw, Chroma Squad is a general sentai game, not actually that Power Rangers inspired. It's just that Haim Saban came down on them during development and I assume that the "inspired by" line (and maybe cuts from the profit?) is a compromise they had to agree to.
    So dumb

Power rangers is the only sentai show that a big chunk of their audience is going to be familiar with

Unless you're explicitly an enthusiast you probably haven't heard of stuff like super sentai or kamen rider

Or even other American shows like beetleborgs or VR troopers

• Options
    el_vicio wrote: »
    So dumb

Power rangers is the only sentai show that a big chunk of their audience is going to be familiar with

Unless you're explicitly an enthusiast you probably haven't heard of stuff like super sentai or kamen rider

Or even other American shows like beetleborgs or VR troopers

Oh sure, sure.
    I just think it's unfortunate that the game is now quasi-branded with Power Rangers, when it references other stuff and could introduce people to the broader spectrum of the genre.
    I still enjoy it a lot, though, don't get me wrong!
    also @rfilyaw needs to weigh in stat

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The gameplay very slowly opens up as you get further in, since each character only gets one new skill per season.

This leads to the very early game feeling extremely stark, like Assault doesn't even get an active skill until season 2.

The story also goes some pretty weird places.

• Options
    Also I lost some fans by responding wrong to an email demanding the final word on their teammate shipping theories.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

There are some great deals there, but it's a weird mix of Uplay and Steam codes. Like, Far Cry Blood Dragon is UPlay and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (which are both excellent, and often bundled together) is Steam. It also seems strange that the full price pre-order of Might & Magic Heroes VII is Steam in what otherwise clearly seems to be a Uplay pushing sale by Ubisoft.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Really wish Rogue was on sale.

I might pick up Revelations, though.

Also, if ya'll don't have Gunslinger yet, you should. It's a really fun, really charming arcadey FPS. Captures the tone of spaghetti westerns perfectly.

Splinter Cell Blacklist is also really good if you played Conviction and thought, "I like some of the gameplay improvements, but this isn't enough like Chaos Theory." Story's pretty dumb, though.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

There are some great deals there, but it's a weird mix of Uplay and Steam codes. Like, Far Cry Blood Dragon is UPlay and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (which are both excellent, and often bundled together) is Steam. It also seems strange that the full price pre-order of Might & Magic Heroes VII is Steam in what otherwise clearly seems to be a Uplay pushing sale by Ubisoft.

The past couple Ubi games I've bought on Steam just launch Uplay anyways.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    gunslinger is great and splinter cell is one of the best stealth action games on the market

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    That child of Light thing has been pretty fun a few hours in. I can certainly recommend that a lot more than I do Valiant Hearts...
    edit: the gameplay is sort of shallow but the goshdang excellent artstyle makes up for it!

edit2: Oh I already have both CoJ and Gunslinger? I should play vanilla first I guess?

Panda4You on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I bought a friend Child of Light for Christmas and he only played 0.8 hours and I don't know exactly why that makes me sad

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I bought a friend Child of Light for Christmas and he only played 0.8 hours and I don't know exactly why that makes me sad

STEAM CARDS

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular

If it's any consolation your friend feels guilty that they don't like the game as much as they should. But they really do appreciate that you got it for them.

• Options

I usually get a deluge of games at Christmas and only have enough time to play some of them and then when I am done with those it is easy to get distracted by new shiny things coming out and forget about some of the other games I got. Probably a scenario like that.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    It probably also has to do with the fact that we've only spoken sporadically since then

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Controversial opinion

the Doom shotgun was a necessity, but felt underwhelming

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    oh hey deleting all my border tales stuff seems to have made it capable of saving again

gonna finally play that game again tomorrow

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Controversial?

The doom 3 expansion super shotgun was the best shotgun.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    The story also goes some pretty weird places.

Holy shit, I had no idea how right I was when I posted this earlier.

This game, man.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    so shooters

awful lot of seeing someone, running up behind them, and shooting them/getting shot from behind

not really my thing

• Options
    so shooters

awful lot of seeing someone, running up behind them, and shooting them/getting shot from behind

not really my thing

Depends on the shooter and how the maps are constructed. In some you get much more of a fixed battleline going where gain/lose ground bit by bit and out flanking the opponent is much harder (buy usually with more dramatic results).

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Controversial?

The doom 3 expansion super shotgun was the best shotgun.

Doom 3 is my favorite Doom

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    It's a pretty damn good Doom! I didn't care much for the expansion though, I don't even remember if there was en extra shotgun in it?

• Options
    Panda4You wrote: »
    It's a pretty damn good Doom! I didn't care much for the expansion though, I don't even remember if there was en extra shotgun in it?

Did you quit when they introduced the totally original gravity gun (do not steal)?

You never have to use it and the other stuff they do with the artifact and the addition of the double barrel shotgun and more enemies on screen at a time made the expansion really stand out.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Also, it might not be the best, but I always felt that half life 2 had a pretty satisfying shotgun.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Half life 2 had a really good revolver.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Did you quit when they introduced the totally original gravity gun (do not steal)?

You never have to use it and the other stuff they do with the artifact and the addition of the double barrel shotgun and more enemies on screen at a time made the expansion really stand out.
    Uuuh, gravity gun?
    I do know that I played a D3 expansion, where some doctor showed up (he was in the original?) and became a demon.

Panda4You on
  • Options

Uuuh, gravity gun?
    I do know that I played a D3 expansion, where some doctor showed up (he was in the original?) and became a demon.

Oh so. You played the first cutscene then. The gravity gun is like the first gun you get in resurrection of Evil.

The Super shotgun is further in. Maybe 1 third.

• Options
    The doom 3 gravity gun is easy to forget.

It is garbage and you never need it.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I'm pretty sure I finished the thing. :) I just can't remember anything about it!
    I do have this vague notion of it being a letdown from the original D3 though.

Panda4You on
This discussion has been closed.