As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Secret Wars (formerly Avengers - the Multiverse Saga)

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Tony's inverted but Hickman writes him like he isn't, he's just extremely pragmatic.

Tony's inversion never made him super-villain evil or anything, just self-centered and materialistic. It basically reversed the character growth he's made so far and turned him into pre-Iron Man Stark - playboy billionaire.

Thing is, the Inversion might have reversed character growth but it doesn't stop it. There's nothing preventing Tony from growing and changing as a person from the moment he's inverted onwards. And he still has all his memories and experiences to reflect on from the moment of his inversion. He might view things differently because of his personality re-adjustment, but he's still fundamentally Tony Stark and everything that's been going on can't help but affect him in certain ways.

He's acting pretty much how a self-centered and materialistic billionnaire who's super-brilliant and doesn't want his world to die would act, I think.
    Zyrxil wrote: »
    Sure you can. It's called making the effort because you know (or hope) you might be wrong.

But he didn't. He said as much.

He says 'I knew there was a good chance we couldn't. It was just too big. But we did need the time to try.'

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Tony's inverted but Hickman writes him like he isn't, he's just extremely pragmatic.

Tony's inversion never made him super-villain evil or anything, just self-centered and materialistic. It basically reversed the character growth he's made so far and turned him into pre-Iron Man Stark - playboy billionaire.

Thing is, the Inversion might have reversed character growth but it doesn't stop it. There's nothing preventing Tony from growing and changing as a person from the moment he's inverted onwards. And he still has all his memories and experiences to reflect on from the moment of his inversion. He might view things differently because of his personality re-adjustment, but he's still fundamentally Tony Stark and everything that's been going on can't help but affect him in certain ways.

He's acting pretty much how a self-centered and materialistic billionnaire who's super-brilliant and doesn't want his world to die would act, I think.
    Sure you can. It's called making the effort because you know (or hope) you might be wrong.

But he didn't. He said as much.

He says 'I knew there was a good chance we couldn't. It was just too big. But we did need the time to try.'

That wasn't the end of the conversation. Steve tells him he knows he's lying and demands he admit it. He does. "I Lied, I Knew".

Everything before that is deflection.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I felt that was more like Steve wanting him to admit he was lying about their chances from the beginning.

Tony says he wouldn't do anything differently - if he believed there was absolutely no hope from the start, why fight at all? Maybe he still believed it was worth trying even if it seemed impossible at the time, in the hope that something would come out of the struggle.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    when the fall is all that's left, as it were

mccoy and banner kinda talk about that too, earlier on. I kinda think they should have explored it more explicitly, but it might have telegraphed too much

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Secret Wars #1 was really good, and for a comic it actually had some emotion, even though a few things are going to be fixed right away. Cyclops will save everything.
    Cyclops has Phoenix powers again, which will no doubt save Susan and all the kids who were in the broken part of the ship since it looks like he was with them (or certainly wasn't with the other cool kids in the life raft group). Because love, see? But that was a great collapse of Reed transitioning into Doom.

What's weird is it looks here like Doom did kill the Beyonders with his MM building.

The only downside to this is how freely it kills people (I did like the Punisher scene) makes it obvious we're going for a restart right before everything happened that will explain away things in a reset, like how Radioactive Man in the FCBD issue is now evil and killing people with Green Lantern radioactive constructs because whatever, I do what I want.

I do wish the colorist totally covered in the pencil shading with blacks and what have you, but that's the only real nitpick I have with the issue. Strong start.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    my fav bits of secret wars #1
    rocket talking about how comics were cheaper back in the day, after i squirmed a bit on the £2.99 price tag. also that punisher scene.

also is the FCBD issue not digital? i can't seem to find it in any digital store...

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Fcbd stuff usually takes a few weeks to go digital, as it's an incentive to get people in stores and spends stuff

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    my fav bits of secret wars #1
    rocket talking about how comics were cheaper back in the day, after i squirmed a bit on the £2.99 price tag. also that punisher scene.

also is the FCBD issue not digital? i can't seem to find it in any digital store...

If you haven't read the FCBD 0 issue, you didn't miss much.
    It's just Val and the Future Foundation working on the life raft, while giving a very brief rundown of the incursions and the Illuminati's efforts to stop them. It didn't have any real story of its own, and the summary of the events in New Avengers was super compressed to a point where I think new readers would still be lost.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    The New Avengers FCBD was nice, but really lacking anything that makes it stand out or makes me think that's a good team. I was hoping for a Waid JLA moment but hopefully he's saving it for actual paid issues. It sort of wanted to pat itself on the back for a standard superhero moral but who doesn't think that's the right thing to do, you know?

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I felt that was more like Steve wanting him to admit he was lying about their chances from the beginning.

Tony says he wouldn't do anything differently - if he believed there was absolutely no hope from the start, why fight at all? Maybe he still believed it was worth trying even if it seemed impossible at the time, in the hope that something would come out of the struggle.

I just finished up the New Avengers trade where they confront the Great Society. What a gut punch.

But after they all (except for Namor) realized they couldn't pull the trigger, each and every one of them (again, except for Namor) was resolved to let it all end when the next incursion came around, and they followed through on that resolution.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    The New Avengers FCBD was nice, but really lacking anything that makes it stand out or makes me think that's a good team. I was hoping for a Waid JLA moment but hopefully he's saving it for actual paid issues. It sort of wanted to pat itself on the back for a standard superhero moral but who doesn't think that's the right thing to do, you know?

Yeah, it felt really old school. I'm still looking forward to it, but at the very least it's going to be a huge change of pace from what Bendis and Hickman have been doing over the last 10 years.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Secret Wars #1 was really good, and for a comic it actually had some emotion, even though a few things are going to be fixed right away. Cyclops will save everything.
    Cyclops has Phoenix powers again, which will no doubt save Susan and all the kids who were in the broken part of the ship since it looks like he was with them (or certainly wasn't with the other cool kids in the life raft group). Because love, see? But that was a great collapse of Reed transitioning into Doom.

What's weird is it looks here like Doom did kill the Beyonders with his MM building.

The only downside to this is how freely it kills people (I did like the Punisher scene) makes it obvious we're going for a restart right before everything happened that will explain away things in a reset, like how Radioactive Man in the FCBD issue is now evil and killing people with Green Lantern radioactive constructs because whatever, I do what I want.

I do wish the colorist totally covered in the pencil shading with blacks and what have you, but that's the only real nitpick I have with the issue. Strong start.

I assume that
    what he did will be the spark for bringing back the universe (maybe multiverse when its all said and done.

Cyclops stays winning.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

I just finished up the New Avengers trade where they confront the Great Society. What a gut punch.

But after they all (except for Namor) realized they couldn't pull the trigger, each and every one of them (again, except for Namor) was resolved to let it all end when the next incursion came around, and they followed through on that resolution.

They didn't though. The cabal was running around murdering worlds for them while time ran ut

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    It does seem like a pretty silly line of argument on cap's part though
    like, either tony still thinks he was right or he admits that he wasn't and steve has an argument about how the deck chairs on the titanic should've been arranged. Well done captain, compelling argumentation.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »

They didn't though. The cabal was running around murdering worlds for them while time ran ut

But they didn't know that at the time. After they couldn't destroy the Great Society's earth, they all (except for Namor) gave up and were going to let the next incursion end it all. It didn't happen because of the Cabal.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    What are the must-have mini-series for following the Secret Wars? Secret Wars (obviously), Battleword, and what else? Whichever of the the Battleword-branded series that grabs your eye?

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    What are the must-have mini-series for following the Secret Wars? Secret Wars (obviously), Battleword, and what else? Whichever of the the Battleword-branded series that grabs your eye?

Probably just Secret Wars. Hickman doesn't really work closely with other writers, so it's unlikely that you'll "need" to read anything else. The actual Battleworld book is just an anthology fight series, like AvX: Versus was. It won't be essential in any form, although it's going to have some neat creators doing short stories.

The whole event seems to be built in a way where what you follow is up to you. For cash reasons, I'm mostly going to stick with just creators and titles that are spinning out of books I'm already reading (i.e., Old Man Logan instead of All-New X-Men, Thors instead of Thor, etc), but I'm also going to give Infinity Gauntlet and a couple of the X-titles a shot.

• Options
    I'm just sticking with Secret Wars and the Spider-Marriage one, nothing else really interests me (A-Force is supposedly post-SW)

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I don't think we know what is essential yet; Secret Wars just started.

Also, I'm not sure why you'd think A-Force is post secret Wars, given the solicitation mentions battleworld
    • Marvel's Mightiest Women finally get their own explosive series!
    • In a secluded corner of the Battleworld, an island nation is fiercely protected by a team of Avengers the likes of which has only ever been glimpsed before...
    • Fighting to protect the small sliver of their world that's left, the Amazing A-FORCE stands shoulder-to-shoulder, ready to take on the horde!

• Options
    In terms of reading the main event series, there's probably nothing that's going to be "essential;" Hickman tends to work alone as a writer, and everything you'll need to understand that main series will happen within its own pages.

In terms of quality - what is "essential" because it's so good - yeah, it's a wait and see type situation.

But if @Mego Thor is specifically looking for books about the mechanics behind the Battleworld and whatnot, I'd say Thors will be a solid bet, since we know that Hickman will be using the Thors himself at some point. I'd also say Ultimate End may be pretty interesting from that perspective, although it depends on how much you care about the Ultimate Universe. The actual Battleworld book will give you a lot of stories, but none of them may be particularly relevant. And the Marvel Zombies titles just seem to exist to exploit the popularity of past Zombies series, especially given that they have James Robinson and Si Spurrier on them; two creators that I love a lot but whose books don't sell very well typically.

Everything else is more a matter of whether you like the concepts or creators.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Thanks for the info, everyone. Will probably end up checking out Secret Wars, Battleworld, Thors, and Ultimate End.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    What does everyone think - should Secret Wars discussion continue here, or would it warrant a new thread?

In either case I think I'll update the OPs and bring them right up to the start of Secret Wars.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Secret Wars discussion is basically the next step of what was going on here, so it can probably stay.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Considering Secret Wars #1 was both the ending of the Multiverse Saga and the start of Secret Wars, it makes sense to talk about it here.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    So be it! And lo, the thread shall be renamed to reflect its new focus.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    So, how about that Secret Wars #2.

• Options
    ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    Now that's how you do a convergence.

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    I just read the Kotaku Spoiler for it
    DOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    i love everything contained in secret wars 2.
    all hail god emperor doom!

• Options
    Oh damn.
    Rise, the Cabal II: Rise Harder

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    man that bottom left thor looks like shit

• Options
    edited May 2015
    This one issue does better world building than all of Age of Ultron and about half of House of M. Like, damn son, Ribic better be drawing this whole series and had enough time for it because he's knocking it out of the park.
    Nice swerve with the Cabal stealing Val's ship idea, and it seems those who fell out of Reed's raft were drawn into Doom's creation.

But it was just the little things like how Doom is god, yet there's so many faults in it and they discover something from before he created everything, and Sinister being that scheming dick who will probably show up more, this is interesting throw away lines of dialogue as opposed to pointless full issues of worlds in previous events.

I do wonder if Reed's ship didn't survive the incursion, if he's part of Doom, fulfilling some deep repressed wish Doom had to be the smartest, which like all wishes has a hitch. I just see that happening more than Doom maybe always wanting Reed's life/family and what have you.

It's probably too much to expect issue #3 next week, but I'm stoked so far. I really haven't felt this jazz hands about comics in a while.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Secret Wars
    Doom secrectly knowing in the depths of his soul that the only way that Battleworld could work would be by incorperating Reed into himself would be TOTALLY in character, especially after Hickman's F4 run.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Secret Wars 2 was some of best world building i have ever read in a comic, so good. Really hope it is just ribic for all if it including the last issue (none of the multi artist last issue please)

Current dates for Secret Wars next month

issue 3 is 06/03/15
    issue 4 is 06/17/15

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Secret Wars 2 made me interested in reading some of the tie-ins that I had 0 interest in before, especially the ones on and behind the wall...

• Options
    Maybe the best part:

Goddoom it.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Yeah, Hickman just put on a clinic on how to build a world in a single issue. That was an impressive book.

One thing that I found funny was how much Battleworld feels like the world Millar created in Old Man Logan. The different zones, the barons, etc.

• Options
    ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I think the thought of Doom being Reed or partially Reed under the mask became obvious as soon as Val called him her father, but more logically, the life raft probably prevented all the archetypes who were on it from being part of Doomsworld. Also this is Doom's 2nd time creating a world where he is god-emperor. Anyone remember how the world he created from the ruins of the Parliament of Reeds was supposed to have lasted before it overthrew him?

Zyrxil on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I think the thought of Doom being Reed or partially Reed under the mask became obvious as soon as Val called him her father, but more logically, the life raft probably prevented all the archetypes who were on it from being part of Doomsworld. Also this is Doom's 2nd time creating a world where he is god-emperor. Anyone remember how the world he created from the ruins of the Parliament of Reeds was supposed to have lasted before it overthrew him?

Also the fact that.
    Everyone is in their(VASTLY SUPERIOR) Future Foundation costumes and Doom showing mercy when Susan asks for it does kinda strongly hint that this Doom is probably an amalgamation of Reed and Doom.

Doom has never wanted Reed's life, but I do think he was so worried about making another world where he is ruler and it going bad that he accidently incorperated Reed into himself.