As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy] VII 100% legitimate and happening remake. Yes, really.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Shamus wrote: »
    The next event is Vanille.

The amount of people having a collective heart attack on the FFRK reddit is incredible.

We're getting Vanille before Lightning? This is some weird fucking scheduling. This is the equivalent of giving out Barret, Tifa, and Red XIII all before Cloud.

And is the "heart attack" because of excitement, surprise, or fear? Is the event hard like the VIII one was in the end? Or is Vanille useful like Rydia and Terra?

People are afraid if they farm Fire Ship until Saturday there won't be enough time to get all the rewards from Vanille's event.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Thundaga right? Just browsed quickly over the bosses in this event and seems like that should be your priority.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yes on the first question but the chance is really low. But you could a Buster Sword right now.

Thanks. I'll just wait for a decent roulette event. Until then I'll just keep hoarding mithril.

Is there a limit to how much mithril you can hold? Additionally, is there any sort of cap on the number of times you can do the 11 for the cost of 10 turn-ins? Let's say I keep saving mithril for another two months before a decent loot event circles around and I end up with 100 mithril (or more), will I be able to burn it all at once?

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Thundaga right? Just browsed quickly over the bosses in this event and seems like that should be your priority.

Thundaja, the four star.

• Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Do we know if Lightning is actually good? I might save my Mithril for the Lightning event and try to get her Soul Break weapon. Or I might wait for the Sephiroth reissue if they also do a roulette event at the same time.
    Just judging from her stats, she should be pretty good. She's a spellblade user, like Cloud. I'd say she has superior stats, but her ability loadout is slightly worse, and she can't wear helms. On the plus side, she can equip guns, which lets her spellblade from the back row.

This Japanese site seems pretty positive about her weapon, too.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Anything special I should prep for the new event? Still farming Fire Ship crystals in case I want to buy anything.

Thundara, Thundaga, Thunder Strike, Watera, Water Strike specifically.

Power Break, Armor Break, Retaliate generally, though Power Break is fairly necessary to not die to a few bosses, and Armor Break is the only way to kill the last boss fast enough.
    Yes on the first question but the chance is really low. But you could get a Buster Sword right now.

Thanks. I'll just wait for a decent roulette event. Until then I'll just keep hoarding mithril.

Is there a limit to how much mithril you can hold? Additionally, is there any sort of cap on the number of times you can do the 11 for the cost of 10 turn-ins? Let's say I keep saving mithril for another two months before a decent loot event circles around and I end up with 100 mithril (or more), will I be able to burn it all at once?

Not that I'm aware of. 999 maybe? You can do 11 for 10 draws as many times as you're willing to pay. It IS a slot machine after all, and how the game publisher makes most of their money (preying on people with gambling addictions).

So for Vanille's event tonight, I might pop in and clear Hard Mode once, because many of the route permutations give enough Memories to get her in one clear, and then I'll bring her to the Fire Ship to level up.

There are three possible starter enemies: a 1.4x, 1.5x, and a 1.8x.

The 1.5x only appears at the start of one route, and is guaranteed to not give enough Memories for Vanille.
    The 1.8x offers 2 routes to give enough Memories, and 1 route to get you close enough that a Normal run would push you over.
    The 1.4x offers 6 routes to give enough Memories, and 2 routes that get you no where close enough to Vanille.

Do you go with better odds for clearing in in 1 run, or slightly less odds, but guaranteed in a Hard + Normal?

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Anything special I should prep for the new event? Still farming Fire Ship crystals in case I want to buy anything.

Thundara, Thundaga, Thunder Strike, Watera, Water Strike specifically.

Finally. An event where I have everything already.

• Options
    Cloud w/ R2-3 Thunder Strike, R2-3 Water Strike
    Sephiroth w/ R2-3 Power Break, R4 Retaliate
    Kain or Snow w/ R2-3 Armor Break, R3-4 Double Cut (Blood Lance vs. Realm Synergy)
    Terra w/ R3-4 Thundara, R3-4 Watera
    Tyro w/ R4 Curaga, R4 Boost (Sentinel's Grimoire cheats)

I'm not super happy with this arrangement. I feel like maybe I should give Cloud Retaliate? But then I don't have enough charges of elemental abilities for the bosses. I also want to pack Cura, but similarly don't know what to cut.

At this point it depends on how many Lesser Power Orbs I can get in a day tomorrow.

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Got bored farming Fire Ship, so I went back to finish all the classics with the B Team. Tyro is doing a great impression of Cloud with Retaliate.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I'm very close to being able to field an all level 50 team. Currently riding the bench (in order of arriving there) are Cloud, Tyro, Wakka (one battle later, amusingly), and now Terra. Next to join will most likely be Celes who massively jumped the line on more established fighters.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I currently have Cloud, Sept, Kain, Rydia, and Aerith at 50. Next set is probably Cecil, Cecil, Tera, Celes, and Tyro. Should probably factor a Booster in there.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I'm so close to getting all the Gr Earth Orbs...I might as well finish before tackling Vanille's event.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    The Fiesta is coming, possibly as soon as next week! Dust off your GBA cartridges, or pinch your nose and go buy the iOS/Android version!

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    How is the Vita/PSN version of FF5? I've never played 5 before ever. Would a first-timer get enjoyment out of the Fiesta, or should I just pick my own classes on my first playthrough?

• Options
    edited May 2015
    How is the Vita/PSN version of FF5? I've never played 5 before ever. Would a first-timer get enjoyment out of the Fiesta, or should I just pick my own classes on my first playthrough?

It's the worst version, by far. It's not as buggy as some of the other SNES -> PSX ports, but it has an atrocious translation that is so bad it manages to ruin the rest of the game. Would not recommend unless you have literally no other way to play it.

As far as joining the Fiesta for a first time playthrough, I think you can have fun either way. Really depends on how you like to play games -- do you like introducing some additional difficulty on yourself? Not all Fiesta combinations are hard, but some of them can be significantly more challenging than playing the game in a less restrictive manner.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    The Android Final Fantasy prices...make me not want to play them.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

It's the worst version, by far. It's not as buggy as some of the other SNES -> PSX ports, but it has an atrocious translation that is so bad it manages to ruin the rest of the game. Would not recommend unless you have literally no other way to play it.

I think the translation's acceptable. Subpar, but it won't ruin the experience. The loading times are the real problem with that version.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    They made the Vanille Survival event rewards much easier to get. Breath easy, FFRK players!

E: I got the route for maximum memories on Hard, but it was unnecessary, because you get Vanille at 1000 points, not 6000 now. She has now joined my Fire Ship team.

Hard was, well, hard, but not impossible. I was a little conservative with my ability uses, because I was worried about not having enough charges for the last boss. Turns out you can fight the last boss twice! Ha! Joke was on me. Lost a few medals on trash because my mage characters auto-attacked. Also lost a few medals on each "final boss" fight, because he has a lot of HP and takes a long time to kill, and does a lot of incidental damage in the mean time.

You might want to pack a Retaliate strategy, as the Final Boss counters every single attack directed at him.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    Got the same route. Had to retreat before I fought Animus for the second time, as I burned through most my abilities. I was being cute and brought 3 mages.

Tough but easily doable. Made a few mistakes aside from team comp.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Which path is the maximum this time?

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015

1.4 → 2.5 → 1.5 → 3.0 → 2.0 → 1.8 → 3.0

At least that's what I got from the subreddit. I restarted once, after my first run, and got it again. Waiting for stamina to refill. On Hard.

Edit: Copied wrong path.

Shamus on
  • Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    I managed to beat (not master) heroic and it was rooooough. I wound up burning five mythril on the final boss. If the first one had given me an attack bonus I'd probably have got it a lot quicker. I was doing ~60K on a good run before the electric spam did me in. When I did win I won with only Kain alive, because he'd jumped over the electric attack. I also killed the boss once, then had Kain die on his counter -- which still fucking activates when you kill him. So that was another mythril.

Turns out rumors about you not being able to quit out of the event and keep your memory crystals aren't true, and it works exactly the same as last time. I could have just given up on the first wipe and come back later with a refined party and strategy. And a few more honed skills.

• Options
    Geez that's a chunk of mithril. I'll prob just do hard until I get bored, and work my way through elite dungeons.

• Options
    For Hard, don't do runs that start 1.5x. 1.4x has a higher potential Memories, but 1.8x is a higher average Memories long term. For heroic it doesn't really matter. 1.4x is a slightly higher average Memories than 1.8, but it'll save you maybe one run over the course of the event.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    FFRK has me on a nostalgia kick, mainly for the music.

The piano version of To Zanarkand is perfect.

Edit: Top spot will always be Aerith's theme tho'.

Shamus on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I'm partial to A Fleeting Dream over To Zanarkand in FFX myself.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    I used Aerith's theme to lull my oldest daughter to sleep when she was a baby.

It will always be at the top of my list as well.

From a more recent entry, Archylte Steppe, is probably the track that gets the most play.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Dodging 200 lightning bolts is a thing in FFX, right? Does it have to be consecutive? Also, what's the reward, a weapon?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    It is consecutive, and you get a part of the ultimate weapon for Lulu (I believe. Someone.)

There IS a way to easily manipulate when lightning will strike, and thus make the entire thing bearable. Can't find the youtube video since I'm at work but a little google-fu should turn it up.

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Also I'm just...I'm in on this FFRK thing I guess. Got Cloud/Wakka/Kain/young Rydia/Lenna to around 26-ish. Gonna keep on keeping on. Haven't really gotten any more non-base class characters.

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Lightning dodging isn't hard it's just mind numbing. If you do it just past that midway rest area you can take a break there every once in a while

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    It is consecutive, and you get a part of the ultimate weapon for Lulu (I believe. Someone.)

There IS a way to easily manipulate when lightning will strike, and thus make the entire thing bearable. Can't find the youtube video since I'm at work but a little google-fu should turn it up.
    Kimahri, it's for his epic lance. The screen flashes briefly before the lightning strikes, it's not too hard.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Ilpala wrote: »

Kimahri, it's for his epic lance. The screen flashes briefly before the lightning strikes, it's not too hard.
    No. That's something else. It's Lulu's sigil for onion knight.

Kimahri's is butterfly catching. Which is a different hell. You're probably thinking of the quactar stones to obtain Kimahri's celestial weapon.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Fuck butterflies. I had everyone else's ultimate weapons but I will never go back to that hell

• Options
    I actually found lightning dodging to be one of the least painful ultimate weapon sigils to get. Once you know the right spot it just takes 15 minutes of moderate concentration. No randomness, no hours of grinding, just press x 200 times and run in a circle.

• Options
    I mean, I'm not proud, I couldn't do it without manipulation. Got too tense. But there being a trick to trigger the lightning is what did it for me.

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Aaand my record for lightning dodges is an impressive 1!

Maybe... maybe I dont need to worry about ultimate weapons...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    When I played FFX the first time, lightning bolts were painful to my eyes since I wasn't blinking in fear of missing a flash but it wasn't too bad. But I was much younger with more gaming time then so failure wasn't as bad. Last year when I was doing the platinum on FFX I just used the trick you can find on youtube where you get to force the lightning strikes. I was having a hard time doing it the normal way so it's all good.

Butterflies are really easy imo, it's the same path every time.

The true hell for me was the chocobo racing with the birds and balloons, and to a lesser extent, the chocobo temple or whatever it's called.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I'm partial A Fleeting Dream over To Zanarkand in FFX myself.

The soundtrack was one of the only things about FFX that I liked, ha.

One of these days I'll have to go back and play it. I only remember that I got bored or disinterested and stopped playing it before reaching the end.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    When I played FFX the first time, lightning bolts were painful to my eyes since I wasn't blinking in fear of missing a flash but it wasn't too bad. But I was much younger with more gaming time then so failure wasn't as bad. Last year when I was doing the platinum on FFX I just used the trick you can find on youtube where you get to force the lightning strikes. I was having a hard time doing it the normal way so it's all good.

Butterflies are really easy imo, it's the same path every time.

The true hell for me was the chocobo racing with the birds and balloons, and to a lesser extent, the chocobo temple or whatever it's called.

SO MANY 0:00 TIMES.

This discussion has been closed.