As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reality is merely an [REDACTED], albeit a very [Spooky] one

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    There is no Dana.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Only Zuul.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Take me, sub-creature.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    We never talk, any more.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I've got both family and friends who really want to see the Poltergeist remake.

I won't turn down a free movie but is it at least watchable?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

I'm going to give it a look when it hits DVD but the reviews say it's a pointless homage. So, mediocre at best.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Just see Mad Max instead.

Tell your friends they went in a really different direction for the remake.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_1zUXv5l7M

This is a really cool idea for a horror game.

If only there wasn't any talking.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    "have you come to play?"

alt-F4

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Just see Mad Max instead.

Tell your friends they went in a really different direction for the remake.

Already saw Mad Max with friends.

Opinions were...mixed.

I may need new friends.

• Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    One of the poltergeist movies put me in therapy as a kid. I didn't sleep for days, refused to be left alone, wouldn't talk.

Funny thing is that now I couldn't even tell you what I found so scary about it. All I remember is something about skeletons coming out of a pool? I've never made any attempt at rewatching any of them.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    What made the original so great was pretty much what made the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre so great: whenever the horror moments would come, they would come with the force of a hurricane, leaving the audience exhausted and gasping for air.

Scenes like the tree monster or the clown aren't just scary for their premise, they're also terrifying because of the rapid camera angles and screaming actors. It's a literal rush of terror that comes hard and fast (no double entendre intended).

It's something a lot of modern horror fails to do nowadays.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

Jump Scare - The Game

• Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

Jump Scare - The Game

Scott Cawthon already has that market cornered

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Looks like the daredevil movie.

Is the real horror that you wake up as Ben Affleck?

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

Jump Scare - The Game

no that's this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXf9z689ALA

• Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    One of the poltergeist movies put me in therapy as a kid. I didn't sleep for days, refused to be left alone, wouldn't talk.

Funny thing is that now I couldn't even tell you what I found so scary about it. All I remember is something about skeletons coming out of a pool? I've never made any attempt at rewatching any of them.

It was a mud pit dug for a pool filled about a quarter of the way with rain. The mom falls into it, and as she's trying to climb out coffins and skeletons burst up from underground and start pulling her back in.

Funny thing about that scene? Those were real corpses. They were cheaper than getting plastic ones.
    Poltergeist_Skeletons_8_15_12.jpg

The use of the real corpses is what some people attribute the "Poltergeist Curse" to.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    What? Are you shitting me? :) That sounds kinda awesome really, but I've a hard time seeing anybody agre upon those workplace conditions...

• Options
    Absolutely.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3159353/remember-this-steven-spielberg-dumps-jobeth-williams-into-a-pool-with-real-skeletons-in-poltergeist/
    While the jury is still out on who directed the film between Tobe Hooper and producer Steven Spielberg, there’s no doubt that both of them were aware of their “authentic” props. What’s even stranger is that Williams was pretty much cool with it (stating that she was far more concerned about being electrocuted).

To alleviate that fear, Spielberg jumped in the water with her to film the scene and simply said, "If a light falls into the pool, then we'll both be killed."

• Options
    They didn't pull her back in; it was just really raining hard and she couldn't get out because it was loose dirt. It was still MEGA freaky tho to see her constantly sliding back into filthy water getting more and more crowded with corpses.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    In other stuff in the Weird Stuff Attributed To Horror Movies And Bodies category; In Return of the Living Dead, they make (what they thought was) a joke about all medical study quality skeletons coming from skeleton farms in India. As soon as the movie released, the supply of the same skeletons they were talking about (with perfect teeth) completely vanished, almost over night apparently.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    I chose my words poorly, they didn't actively pull her back in, but the way they popped up around her and whatnot made it appear they were trying to keep her in the water. Or something was, at least.

• Options
    cr0w wrote: »
    I chose my words poorly, they didn't actively pull her back in, but the way they popped up around her and whatnot made it appear they were trying to keep her in the water. Or something was, at least.

Oh it was freaky as hell, don't get me wrong.

• Options
    You know what scene freaked me out the most in Poltergeist as a kid?

When the mom is in the hallway, and she hears something behind a door so she slowly opens it and there's this HORRIFICALLY LOUD NOISE and she screams and closes it and apologizes.

My mother had a goddamned vacuum cleaner that sounded just like that noise and it scarred me for life.

• Options
    You know what scene freaked me out the most in Poltergeist as a kid?

When the mom is in the hallway, and she hears something behind a door so she slowly opens it and there's this HORRIFICALLY LOUD NOISE and she screams and closes it and apologizes.

My mother had a goddamned vacuum cleaner that sounded just like that noise and it scarred me for life.

JESUS yes. God that scared the hell out of me. And then she slams the door and sobs, apologizing to the thing in the closet holy CRAP.

Man I love that movie.

• Options
    Poltergeist 2 has its fair share of problems..well, a lot of them really, but I'll never forgive them for scarring me with this fucking guy.
    Poltergiest-october2010-photo2.jpeg

• Options
    Poltergeist 2 has its fair share of problems..well, a lot of them really, but I'll never forgive them for scarring me with this fucking guy.

Man those teeth.

But yeah that movie was straight up terrible. All the great parts went right out the window.

• Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    I give this page two emphatic "NOPES!"

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    I'm trying to think of any haunted house movies that compare with Poltergeist, and I'm struggling to think of any that I hold in higher regard.

The Others is probably the closest, with the original The Haunting right behind it. Insidious did a lot of things very, very right...that lingering shot of the brother in a coma seen from his brother's doorway STILL creeps me out, even though absolutely nothing happens. I think the anticipation of something happening was worse than anything they could have done. Once they go into the other realm, though, it flew off the rails. Everything up until Patrick Wilson went to save the kid was brilliant.

The Conjuring was okay, better than most anything we've gotten recently. The Woman in Black was great, old school Hammer horror and...damn, I think that's about it. I enjoyed The Innkeepers well enough.

I need to watch The Others again. So much atmosphere in that movie, and it shares a lot of similarities with The Turn of the Screw, which was a story that fucked me up as a kid.

• Options
    I'm trying to think of any haunted house movies that compare with Poltergeist, and I'm struggling to think of any that I hold in higher regard.

The Others is probably the closest, with the original The Haunting right behind it. Insidious did a lot of things very, very right...that lingering shot of the brother in a coma seen from his brother's doorway STILL creeps me out, even though absolutely nothing happens. I think the anticipation of something happening was worse than anything they could have done. Once they go into the other realm, though, it flew off the rails. Everything up until Patrick Wilson went to save the kid was brilliant.

The Conjuring was okay, better than most anything we've gotten recently. The Woman in Black was great, old school Hammer horror and...damn, I think that's about it. I enjoyed The Innkeepers well enough.

I need to watch The Others again. So much atmosphere in that movie, and it shares a lot of similarities with The Turn of the Screw, which was a story that fucked me up as a kid.

The Others was a joke for me and the Conjuring had some amazingly good bits but the end just screwed the pooch; PLUS it was about two mega frauds that I absolutely hate.

My go to haunted house shows besides Poltergeist would be Ghostwatch (amazing), Insidious (at least the first 3/4) , The Grudge, Amityville 2 (SUPER AWFUL BAD but something makes me keep watching this dang film) Boogeyman, and The Entity

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »

Jump Scare - The Game

no that's this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXf9z689ALA

I just started that, and it's pretty promising so far. Plus it's free.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Magic Pink wrote: »

The Others was a joke for me and the Conjuring had some amazingly good bits but the end just screwed the pooch; PLUS it was about two mega frauds that I absolutely hate.

My go to haunted house shows besides Poltergeist would be Ghostwatch (amazing), Insidious (at least the first 3/4) , The Grudge, Amityville 2 (SUPER AWFUL BAD but something makes me keep watching this dang film) Boogeyman, and The Entity

Oooh The Entity, I forgot about that one. Good old Barry Taff.

I liked The Conjuring in spite of it being about The Warrens. Even though they're complete frauds, their careers are fascinating to me. I have the original hardback version of "In A Dark Place", the first book released about the Snedeker Haunting (The Haunting in Connecticut) that was almost immediately discontinued because the author, Ray Garton, only completed it due to contractual obligations and disowned the book publicly every chance he got. Ed Warren flat out told him to make shit up and that all of his clients were crazy, they were only interested in selling a good ghost story. It's hilarious to read that book and then look at the changes made to the story once it became more well-known. I find it endlessly amusing that their nephew, John Zaffis, managed to finagle an entire TV show out of pilfering "haunted" objects, some very expensive, from gullible people who thought their houses were haunted.

One of my favorite books of theirs was "Werewolf", about an English guy named Bill Ramsey who claimed to be possessed by a "wolf" spirit, and he would wolf out and go ballistic on full moons and such.

cr0w on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

I've been binge rewatching Buffy on Netflix, and The Gentleman from the episode Hush still scare the fuck out of me.

• Options
    I never really got into Buffy. I don't know why, I just can't stand Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Now the original Kristy Swanson movie? Sign me up, anytime.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

It was a mud pit dug for a pool filled about a quarter of the way with rain. The mom falls into it, and as she's trying to climb out coffins and skeletons burst up from underground and start pulling her back in.

Funny thing about that scene? Those were real corpses. They were cheaper than getting plastic ones.
    Poltergeist_Skeletons_8_15_12.jpg

The use of the real corpses is what some people attribute the "Poltergeist Curse" to.

Where'd they get the corpses? Did they put out a call for donations, or what?

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Volunteers, actually.

• Options
    My best guess is they actually imported them from, say, China or something. They actually exported them right up until 2008. Then again, there's never been a definitive answer.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    The orphanage is the best Haunted house movie IMO.

I thought Insidious 2 was way better than the first. Also The Grudge 2 but mostly the stuff with the girl from Chicago; Aubrey's storyline was garbage. And the Sixth Sense will always hold a special place for me.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    I saw The Grudge in the theater, and I couldn't make a fucking lick of sense out of it. I hated that movie so much. To this day it makes me mad just to think about.

• Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    So the guy who made 'Room 237' has made a docu-horror about sleep paralysis called 'The Nightmare'.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-nightmare-trailer/

This discussion has been closed.