As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Megagame] Stand Still Stay Silent - Game Ends

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Scientific ethics forever!

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I know that Germany, Argentina, China, Nigeria, South Africa, and Russia all did unethical research.

Can't remember Brazil or Egypt.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Also, this exchange was pretty funny
    Farangu wrote:
    Honestly I'm this close to just telling Argentina that if they can pay up the bailout, they can freakin' have the Falklands. This talk is going nowhere.
    discrider wrote:
    Argentina claims it was Brazil (who stole the EU bailout fund).

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Brazil looked like a Nation that needed aid because of the infection. I also thought ya'll might have had some leadership there in Sadpact.
    Spain Operations were cool.
    We had one aid deployment there, but we lost track of continuing with it.

As for tech, I had specific orders to remain ethical.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Thanks for playing everyone!

I really understimated the time and organization needed to help host this, but I had fun nonetheless. There are definitely some aspects of the Tech system I would tweak if I were to run this again (Research agreements would probably be high up on the changelist)

South Africa started out doing unethical research on turn 1, and were my favourite because of that.

Everyone else waited until the end of the 1st tree to dip into moral black areas.

I think the USA and the UK were the only nations who never researched anything unethically? I can't remember and I've got to step out right now.

Love y'all!

Hmm, that doesn't sound like the USA I know.

The US is always ethical
    Quick someone hide Guantanamo

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Farangu wrote:
    Honestly I'm this close to just telling Argentina that if they can pay up the bailout, they can freakin' have the Falklands. This talk is going nowhere.
    discrider wrote:

That also came of a Steam chat between me and discrider.

I am astonished he believed me, but pretty cool with it.

We might've taken you up on the bailout-for-Malvinas deal.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Farangu wrote:
    discrider wrote:

I didn't put it in that post, but Farangu didn't believe that claim for a second. He was always convinced Argentina was the culprit.

It was a coin toss for me whether you or Brazil did it.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Thanks for playing everyone!

I really understimated the time and organization needed to help host this, but I had fun nonetheless. There are definitely some aspects of the Tech system I would tweak if I were to run this again (Research agreements would probably be high up on the changelist)

South Africa started out doing unethical research on turn 1, and were my favourite because of that.

Everyone else waited until the end of the 1st tree to dip into moral black areas.

I think the USA and the UK were the only nations who never researched anything unethically? I can't remember and I've got to step out right now.

Love y'all!

Hmm, that doesn't sound like the USA I know.

The US is always ethical
    Quick someone hide Guantanamo

You mean Fort Friendship, the lynchpin of the Cuban-American mutual defense pact?

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    One last thing, a big thanks to the Mods who allowed this game to take place. Hopefully they'll allow it again!

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Brazil looked like a Nation that needed aid because of the infection. I also thought ya'll might have had some leadership there in Sadpact.
    Spain Operations were cool.
    We had one aid deployment there, but we lost track of continuing with it.

that's basically what I wanted us to be seen as

if you can hide your objectives and achieve them quietly that is for the best, I thing

Santiago was our loudest public move and I think it was a great PR success, if nothing else

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Several times when we did Unethical tech, we couldn't even receive the benefit.

we regret nothing

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I can not BELIEVE you guys got to the moon and I couldn't use a aircraft that actuall exists

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Farangu wrote:
    discrider wrote:

I didn't put it in that post, but Farangu didn't believe that claim for a second. He was always convinced Argentina was the culprit.

It was a coin toss for me whether you or Brazil did it.

Farangu is wise.

I was working on the theory that we both stole the money for a while and that was why no frame got attempted. It was hilarious to me.

• Options
    Also I never remembered if this came out

Brazil knew that Argentina stole the funds the turn it happened

we didn't care

my suggestion was actually to go to them and say "impressive!" because I was actually impressed

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Hey folk, I'm firing up the gears on a megagame in the Gumpy tradition. If you'd like to lend a helping hand, shoot me a PM with what you'd like to do (co-host, design, logistics, external software) and I'll get planning started.

Depends

How post apocalyptic are you planning

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    The other guys can explain what the fuck was going on. I was the moderating force.

Basically @radius is an evil genius and kept talking us into being evil.

I totally went along with it. We were hoping to not just bomb the supplies but frame China for it because ugh China. We also had an ambassador at the UN with a vial full of virus ready to infect everyone at a moments notice.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I felt like allowing other nations 20-35 budget when US was 40, was super generous and democratic.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_government_budgets_by_country
    I approve. It made the game fun and competitive.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Hey folk, I'm firing up the gears on a megagame in the Gumpy tradition. If you'd like to lend a helping hand, shoot me a PM with what you'd like to do (co-host, design, logistics, external software) and I'll get planning started.
    Depends

I asked Gumpy if I could use this world, but this is his baby so it's totally, 100% OK if I can't use his playground.

I think some grounding in common reality helps players orient themselves in the game. So even if it's really post apocalyptic, there will still be recognizable real world elements like pre-Fall nationality.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Bremen wrote: »
    Also, shouldn't Nigeria have had long term-fallout for admitting to assassinating a foreign premier?

And yeah, Bremen and I were basically scrambling for a way to stop Pluto from causing the world to collapse on us. The only other option was a military coup.

IMHO, yes. Also I'm still a bit unhappy with the resolution; a lot seems to be based on things we did metagame wise because the game was ending (for instance, stop building units that wouldn't finish in time to ease the burden on the hosts, and throwing more garrison units into the attack to go out with a bang). But the game was great fun so I should just lighten up, I think.

To be fair I think there'd be a bit of a David versus Goliath feeling in Nigeria for taking out the Russian head of state

The citizens wouldn't care and the world ended, there's no one to sanction us.

• Options
    Also military commanders raise your hand if your asked Gumpy about the possibility of a military coup within your state during the game

it was the first PM I sent!

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    SLyM wrote: »
    I had a thought that I didn't bring up because I thought it would be a bit to evil, but now that I see what other people are doing I'm less concerned. It was to move the army into Colombia, summarily executing everyone in the hospitals and imposing martial law to try to contain the virus to North America. It was almost certainly too late anyway, but it might have worked.
    I wanted to do this to Peru very very early, on the assumption that Brazil would keep its shit together.

EDIT: actually, what I said was "burn it to the ground".

Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    Depends

I asked Gumpy if I could use this world, but this is his baby so it's totally, 100% OK if I can't use his playground.

I think some grounding in common reality helps players orient themselves in the game. So even if it's really post apocalyptic, there will still be recognizable real world elements like pre-Fall nationality.

You don't have to do this exact world

Just far along to the point the virus is no longer a surprise

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Langly wrote: »
    Also, shouldn't Nigeria have had long term-fallout for admitting to assassinating a foreign premier?

And yeah, Bremen and I were basically scrambling for a way to stop Pluto from causing the world to collapse on us. The only other option was a military coup.

IMHO, yes. Also I'm still a bit unhappy with the resolution; a lot seems to be based on things we did metagame wise because the game was ending (for instance, stop building units that wouldn't finish in time to ease the burden on the hosts, and throwing more garrison units into the attack to go out with a bang). But the game was great fun so I should just lighten up, I think.

To be fair I think there'd be a bit of a David versus Goliath feeling in Nigeria for taking out the Russian head of state

And I doubt the citizens of Russia would care if Nigeria suddenly started claiming the Russian government helped assassinate the former premier; it's not like you could prove it.

I mean, sure, the guards all rushed away before it happened. But that's because the nuclear launch complex was under assault :p

Bremen on
  • Options
    edited July 2015

And I doubt the citizens of Russia would care if Nigeria suddenly started claiming the Russian government helped assassinate the former premier; it's not like you could prove it.

I mean, sure, the guards all rushed away before it happened. But that's because the nuclear launch complex was under assault :p

Oh no what I released is simply the communications we had where the leaders said the words kill the prime minister. I didn't say the information came from Nigeria. I saved the coms as part of my orders to gumpy

Langly on
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    South Africa's objective told us to have "someone to replace [the west] if you must betray them"

who better to replace a superpower than a god

PRAISE MORPHEUS

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular

Oh no what I released is simply the communications we had where the leaders said the words kill the prime minister. I didn't say the information came from Nigeria. I saved the coms as part of my orders to gumpy

Words on a piece of paper from an anonymous source? Even fewer people would take that seriously.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Depends

I kinda sorta wanna help, but I'm torn by the fact that game was so damned fun that I wanna play again. Shoutouts for my fellows in the Nigerian Kooky Quartet

@Langly - Immortal President Langly, even when he's sick or abroad, this guy was gaming planning us from moment one and made sure everyone was working on something

Dr. @Psykoma PHD - The head of Lagos Labs without whom we would've been virus chow by the end of last week. Worked their ass off to secure research agreements from other advanced countries. We were coat-tail riders, but we did it with style.

@-Tal - Or I was constantly saying, best Diplomat Tal. Our team's voice of reason and the architect of many of our long-lasting friendships. I don't envy the job they had, but they worked the Hell out of it.

Me, I just built walls and lit shit on fire. Maybe made a few suggestions here and there. I felt like a custodian of sorts at times.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Also the original premier did not die? He was only wounded.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    we blew up our supply convoy because:

a: we'd already secretly built a sweet-ass unethical heaven on Madagascar
    b: we wanted to create more tensions between SADPACT and China/Russia because we'd grown disillusioned with SADPACT and were goddamn salty about not getting that nobel

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    also c: it was really fun to introduce on the last turn

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I kept trying to figure out why no one was doing anything in Madagascar.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    it was a bummer for me that i was basically unable to be really proactive at my job for the first 3 or 4 days of the game, though, cause i was moving

i tried to send out a couple of PMs to fellow diplomats during the second week to establish relationships but got no response from some of y'all bums

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    it was a bummer for me that i was basically unable to be really proactive at my job for the first 3 or 4 days of the game, though, cause i was moving

i tried to send out a couple of PMs to fellow diplomats during the second week to establish relationships but got no response from some of y'all bums

I'm pretty sure I responded!

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    The other guys can explain what the fuck was going on. I was the moderating force.

Basically @radius is an evil genius and kept talking us into being evil.

I totally went along with it. We were hoping to not just bomb the supplies but frame China for it because ugh China. We also had an ambassador at the UN with a vial full of virus ready to infect everyone at a moments notice.

it was fun playing PR for the unethical science nation, but unfortunately no one really dug around in our mild-mannered trash too much so i didn't get to enter the spin zone

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Tal really was an incredible diplomat

• Options
    More Nobel Science Papers and Discussion would have been fun.
    Might just have it be that submissions give you a boost, and leave the voting out of it.
    I don't think very many people engaged with it (I didn't even bother the first go around).
    I'm bummed the politics got in the way.

Also, I could see this game being more manageable for hosts and players if updates happened every other day.
    It would be a lot slower though.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, I really don't see Langly's plan working.

In my headcanon, it doesn't work.

Also, I KNEW we should have assassinated Langly.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    I kinda wish I'd gotten a non military job. Felt too muck like axis and allies on my end.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I really don't see Langly's plan working.

In my headcanon, it doesn't work.

Also, I KNEW we should have assassinated Langly.

Man

The last thing we need to do is give Gumpy a hard time for how he decided to tie up plotlines.

There are no winners or losers. Just ride the experience.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    This was great fun to watch

I'm sorry that I wasn't able to join in.

@jdarksun I'd be happy to help with planning something for the future with you though.

This discussion has been closed.