As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Megagame] Stand Still Stay Silent - Game Ends

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    But that said, the game was amazing!

Thanks for running it, guys.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    IMO my biggest failure this game was not being nearly proactive enough about keeping ties with Britain and Germany

I guess I just kind of assumed they were solid allies who would fall in line (just like IRL america)

The PM that I got on day, what, three? From Stilts about how the UK was fucking pissed at the US was like Christmas early

I did a little giggle when I found out that the West was divided

Why were they mad then? It was before my time

The US basically going over the heads of Germany and the UK to negotiate with Russia over their retreat

That US agreement with Russia was a really poor move from the US, IMO. They really did not look strong, especially when Speed Racer stood up for Egypt and said on behalf of the free world "well we certainly won't stand for this"

God, that was my first day on the job, too.

Hell of an introduction the game, let me tell you.

But yeah, if Albino Bunny had simply invited the UK and Germany to the chats with Russia, it's very likely we would have stayed on good terms (and possibly formed an early alliance, especially once SADPACT got off the ground).

Speaking of SADPACT, that was clearly a thing that the UK (or anyone that wasn't SADPACT) didn't want, but no one really had any idea what to do to break it up. It seemed like none of the South American and African nations had conflicting goals with each other, so there was zero friction in that alliance to exploit. Especially since South Africa kinda played against their assigned role as a Western-friendly nation? But yeah, I'm going over how we could have reduced SADPACT's stranglehold, and I'm coming up completely blank.

Oh, also, here's our board. I believe I unlocked it.

http://gstq.freeforums.net/board/1/general-board

A lot of SADPACT internal discussion was based around SADPACT looking as solid as possible

At the same time, though, we were really careful not to be too heavy handed

and also I was surprised at simply how well we worked together. It was very harmonious, actually

fortunately our first turn together saw a Russian crisis that could unify us adroitly and that's exactly what happened

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Radius wrote: »
    I actually really enjoyed playing the moderating force on team mad science!

Yeah.

All that stuff we did was after Fencingsax talked us down from what we wanted to do.

Allah Buddah and Christ guys, you have no fucking idea. My team was the craycray

I bet you're real glad Russia was so vocal right away, drawing most of the scrutiny.

I was genuinely worried the last turn that someone would find/figure out what we were doing and nuke us. So yes. We were basically suggesting all game to frame Russia and China, because of the past shenanigans.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Gumpy wrote: »
    There was not as much warring between states as I planned for

Need to add more reasons to stab each other next time

I think there would have been if the whole zombie thing had taken longer to develop. People seemed to be kind of ignoring the virus in favor of petty squabbling up until Spain went dark.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Most of my work was finished by midgame. I had already contributed to the assembling of the most diplomatically powerful alliance in the world (though I can't claim credit for the initial idea) and after that I spent most of my time on the proboard coordinating things between members and trying to convince the other nations to open diplomatic channels with us.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    We definitely did a full three tech increases every turn except one when I spent twenty five million dollars to buy five fire starter units

• Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    Well, most of the world started unaligned, and nothing in our goal said allying with unaligned nations didn't count as expanding territory, so attacking other nations seemed like a waste.

If most of the world started divided up into power blocks, you'd probably get more conflict.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

I think I said as much in a Steam chat with jdark, but I stand by the idea that a Civ-style policy track would've been a nice feature.

So many of my ideas for things to do were, like, stuff you'd buried way down the tech tree, and I kept thinking "Geez, can't I just insist on pogroms and institute the draft?"

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

Yeah.

All that stuff we did was after Fencingsax talked us down from what we wanted to do.

Allah Buddah and Christ guys, you have no fucking idea. My team was the craycray

Go check out our proboard.

Not saying we were as crazy, but you were not the only ones with ideas.

You dicks stole the Greek bailout, my guys were basically "where the hell is the "weaponize this thing" on the tech tree already"?

• Options
    I think China did Great.
    I never aggressively worked to hurt China though. I'm glad we both Survived!
    Part of the USA's lackluster influence was my fault. We didn't consistently research 3 techs each turn early on, and so China and Egypt had a tech lead.

I think that Brazil secured maximum tech every turn, regardless of the cost

good work, boys

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    The first thing I posted after getting the first tech tree was

"Aww man, There's nothing on here about weaponizing the virus."

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    We burned down half of asia and made a moon rocket

But yeah I guess we never did much
    Both of which allied with one of the powers you were supposed to be taking the world stage from.
    Our secret goal had nothing to do with Russia.

"China doesn’t seek to knock the US out of pole position, it simply seeks to maintain its own position as the US destroys itself."
    Do you think we destroyed ourselves?
    Well you experienced military defeat, lost your missile shield, nobody would back your saber rattling at Russia, and the western US was infected, but honestly?

You guys kept it together pretty well.

I just don't think you could call yourselves the undisputed #1 world superpower.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Oh yeah, speaking of the zombie paper, that was us We forged it to look Spanish.

Some wanted to forge it to look Chinese and suggest weaponization, but I thought that would be laying it on a little thick.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think more nations needed specific territorial ambitions, and the minor powers needed more of a reason not to all ally as a block, like they did.

Also, making the virus that severe means that any personal ambition have to be pretty fucking important for you to risk possibly putting yourself or your allies in a position to be infected.

I think if the virus had been a bit weaker (or a bit slower), then more infighting would have happened.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Yeah.

You dicks stole the Greek bailout, my guys were basically "where the hell is the "weaponize this thing" on the tech tree already"?

Note our Day 1 thread, where I was thinking of sending our agent to do it before I decided on the middling-evil option which explicitly furthered our objective. ;)

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    @Gumpy
    What would Nukes have done against the Virus?

In stage three, nukes would have been the most efficient answer to giants and leviathans. Apart from that, it would wipe out all gribblies, allowing a country to be reoccupied.

• Options
    Put it this way, America announced that Agents could infect other countries, and I was the only one who didn't think "Neat!"

A for real quote from Langly on the Nigerian proboards:

"Oh we should definitely weaponize the virus with our agent and infect someone"

Psykoma:

Yes yessssss

Matev:

"I don't think tal would like that"

Langly:

Fiiiiiiiiine

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    @Gumpy

In stage three, nukes would have been the most efficient answer to giants and leviathans. Apart from that, it would wipe out all gribblies, allowing a country to be reoccupied.

YO!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    @Gumpy

Gribblies?

...DaleGribble.jpg?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular

Yeah.

If I'd had my way, Germany would have sealed off with the rest of its allies in a big European fortress nation, and then created giant virus golems in heated armor to patrol our borders and protect us while our nations got stronger and worked on a cure. That sorta happened but it wasn't explicit enough!

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Yeah, I think more nations needed specific territorial ambitions, and the minor powers needed more of a reason not to all ally as a block, like they did.

Also, making the virus that severe means that any personal ambition have to be pretty fucking important for you to risk possibly putting yourself or your allies in a position to be infected.

I think if the virus had been a bit weaker (or a bit slower), then more infighting would have happened.

More infighting probably would have happened if SADPACT hadn't absolutely been needed, in it's own eyes, as soon as it was formed

Russia delivered and ultimatum that the US didn't seem willing to actually oppose, the EU nations couldn't really stop, and China seemed ambivalent about

I reckon there would have been loads more fighting, but it just didn't go that way

Although as Brazil's defence minister I was adamant that any war of aggression we fought would be pointless and we should be defensive in any engagement, while trying to avoid them carefully

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    My favorite exchange in the game:

Langly July 15
    i'm going to be straight with you, I mainly pushed for this alliance because of the name.
    SLyM July 15
    Coming up with a silly name for an alliance was mainly the reason I pushed to create it

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    There was one person who planned to bomb the UN in the last turn

But he pulled out at the last moment

Bomb it with virus monsters to eat all the diplomats

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    I think China has succeeded as well. Even if the US hasn't destroyed itself, the US world dominance is dead.
    I dunno, America was playing world defender right up to the bitter end. That's where our dominance really lies.

So you were fighting on your borders and had a few units in Romania? That's being "world defender"?

• Options

More infighting probably would have happened if SADPACT hadn't absolutely been needed, in it's own eyes, as soon as it was formed

Russia delivered and ultimatum that the US didn't seem willing to actually oppose, the EU nations couldn't really stop, and China seemed ambivalent about

I reckon there would have been loads more fighting, but it just didn't go that way

Although as Brazil's defence minister I was adamant that any war of aggression we fought would be pointless and we should be defensive in any engagement, while trying to avoid them carefully

Yeah, we really just wanted you guys to help us try to box in the virus. I don't think we even half-seriously discussed invading Brazil.

• Options
    I think China has succeeded as well. Even if the US hasn't destroyed itself, the US world dominance is dead.
    I dunno, America was playing world defender right up to the bitter end. That's where our dominance really lies.

So you were fighting on your borders and had a few units in Romania? That's being "world defender"?

Well, they were also throwing aid everywhere they could. Basically America's entire gameplan from what I understand of it was "help everyone else wherever possible".

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SLyM wrote: »
    My favorite exchange in the game:

Langly July 15
    i'm going to be straight with you, I mainly pushed for this alliance because of the name.
    SLyM July 15
    Coming up with a silly name for an alliance was mainly the reason I pushed to create it

Hahah yeah I loved that

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    But... The US opposed Russia early on.

We were literally the only non EU nation to step in.

• Options
    So could there be a vaccine at all

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I would be very interested in the third tech tree.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think that game would have had a lot more squabbling between powers if real life alliances and set-ups had been in force at the beginning of the game. Germany's objective was to unite Europe basically, but we had to spend a significant amount of money on allying with them in the first place when really it should have started from a position of "we're already working together".

Meanwhile, other nations had, like, "don't do anything stupid", so they had no reason to spend money the same way.

I don't think Germany had more than $10 in the bank the entire game except for the last day when science funds went back to the bank.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Despite accidentally falling into a Russia-China alliance, I think I would have played like SADPACT had I been properly playing, having been watching them closely.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I think China did Great.
    I never aggressively worked to hurt China though. I'm glad we both Survived!
    Part of the USA's lackluster influence was my fault. We didn't consistently research 3 techs each turn early on, and so China and Egypt had a tech lead.

I was vaguely annoyed that the only real difference in funding was something like 25-30-35 - there was no way to pull ahead in tech, and there was actually net negative benefit to having that research center (since we spent more than the benefit we received defending it). We only researched 2 the first turn so we were permanently behind. I had assumed that tech funding for everybody other than the US would eventually dry up

I suppose if we had reached tier 3 it might have made it worth it. I still think it should have just given a fourth slot

• Options
    Do you know how awesome it was that my agent stole five American dollars after I asked for that in thread?

• Options
    So awesome

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    So could there be a vaccine at all

There are still people working on it

• Options
    But... The US opposed Russia early on.

We were literally the only non EU nation to step in.

You looked weak, and you also weren't the only non EU nation to step in

SADPACT nations condemned the aggression and were the ones who got the sanctions on Russia pushed through

• Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular

Next time all factions should have strong incentive to attack the others. Not necessarily in terms of direct military action, but it should benefit them when others fail. I mentioned this briefly on the military proboard: Russia's major hurdle was that they got saddled with an objective that demanded aggression in a game where almost everyone else was encouraged to turtle and not rock the boat. Unless they were amazingly subtle about fulfilling their objective or just flat out ignored it, it was inevitable that they'd start to piss people off. Ideally everyone would have remembered that it was just a game and kept things from affecting them personally, but that's never going to work 100%.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I had a thought that I didn't bring up because I thought it would be a bit to evil, but now that I see what other people are doing I'm less concerned. It was to move the army into Colombia, summarily executing everyone in the hospitals and imposing martial law to try to contain the virus to North America. It was almost certainly too late anyway, but it might have worked.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    @Langly is forever grudged.

Forever.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
This discussion has been closed.