Options

The Modern Domestic Terrorism: Death In The Willamette

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Spread a rumor there's frackable oil in that mountain, they'll take care of it all by themselves.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It's an analogy I'm not saying Georgia is a dog, I'm saying they should feel shame for ruining a nice piece of stone with a tribute to treason.

Anyway our most recent shooting was already called lone wolf as soon as it was over, so I assume again nothing of consequence will happen, other than putting guns in theaters.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Cleansing history for the sake of a moral compass should never be an option. Especially in a country where Columbus Day exists.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    "Cleansing History" would be erasing facts about the Civil War from history books and removing articles of it from museums. Taking down monuments that are meant to honor these people is just society progressing and moving on.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    John Russell Houser, was yet another angry far right anti-government loon who admired Adolph Hitler, Timothy McVeigh, white power groups, the Westboro Baptist Church and the “scientific racism” of Charles Murray’s “The Bell Curve.”

Houser posted comments at many right wing online forums, including Tea Party Nation and the New York chapter of Greece’s neo-Nazi Golden Dawn. As we’ve pointed out many times, the comments at right wing sites are now dominated by outright hate speech, predictions of violence and racism. How many more Housers are being created in this toxic stew?

And according to CNN, there is evidence that Houser’s rampage was not a spontaneous act:
    Authorities searching Houser’s hotel room and vehicle found wigs, glasses and other apparent disguises. And he’d swapped out the license plates on his Lincoln Continental, parking it right outside an exit door to the Grand 16.

Yet, while he paused his barrage of bullets to head toward the exits, he never made it to the car.

Two police officers who happened to be at the theater made their way toward where “Trainwreck” was playing, as patrons rushed away from the carnage and their law enforcement colleagues on the outside rushed to get there.

“They heard a shot,” Craft said. “And upon entering the theater, the suspect was found deceased from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.”

Edmonson said that the gunman got outside, saw police coming, and then returned to kill himself.
    http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/44866_Lafayette_Theater_Shooter-_A_Fan_of_Hitler_Neo-Nazis_and_Anti-Government_Conspiracy_Theories

Another lone wolf definitely not right-wing domestic terrorism

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Cleansing history for the sake of a moral compass should never be an option. Especially in a country where Columbus Day exists.

Glad to see you agree that Stone mountain should be dealt with.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I think Stone Mountain needs to stay up, it should just lose protected status as a park.

Think about the epic graffiti.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    What about detoxifying already cleansed history? Because that's what's gone on here. The Confederacy was whitewashed in a calculated way pretty much since the day Lee surrendered.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Is he a part of some actual group or something?

I mean from what I can tell he is a lone wolf? I'd even call Adbulazeez a lone wolf based on this information

I guess I am not understanding the definition of what makes someone a lone wolf or not.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

It's not cleansing history, it's taking down monuments that honor traitors - who were fighting for a different country, not America. What's moral about honoring traitors?

edit: People can still learn about the Confederacy in museums and the history books.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I think Stone Mountain needs to stay up, it should just lose protected status as a park.

That mountain has already suffered enough by having the ugliest mural I've ever seen put on it.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Can we maybe NOT do the thing where we talk about treating a group of people as if they were animals?

Clearly we've passed that point, Houn. A while ago.

hKCvYX51m7up8ztq71iD2VSS_400.jpg

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

I mean from what I can tell he is a lone wolf? I'd even call Adbulazeez a lone wolf based on this information

I guess I am not understanding the definition of what makes someone a lone wolf or not.
    WASHINGTON — In the 14 years since Al Qaeda carried out attacks on New York and the Pentagon, extremists have regularly executed smaller lethal assaults in the United States, explaining their motives in online manifestoes or social media rants.

But the breakdown of extremist ideologies behind those attacks may come as a surprise. Since Sept. 11, 2001, nearly twice as many people have been killed by white supremacists, antigovernment fanatics and other non-Muslim extremists than by radical Muslims: 48 have been killed by extremists who are not Muslim, including the recent mass killing in Charleston, S.C., compared with 26 by self-proclaimed jihadists, according to a count by New America, a Washington research center.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options

In the media? Check the color of their skin.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    What about detoxifying already cleansed history? Because that's what's gone on here. The Confederacy was whitewashed in a calculated way pretty much since the day Lee surrendered.

Fair enough. But the current conversation is the targeted aspect of our history that really gets me going. That monument has existed for 40 years+ now. If done properly there is no real negative aspect of it existing as we should know our history. Sad part is a vast majority of it is "toxified" or "whitewashed". So in essence you guys feel it is negative because of the racial issues that are being highlighted, I dislike to say going on because they have been for a long time, recently and as such there may be the circumstance where an individual looks at that monument and says "they had the right idea" or some other nonsense. If the monument was true to history regarding treason and brother against brother etc it wouldn't be so bad.

There are Benedict Arnold monument(s) still on US soil I believe as well.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

WASHINGTON — In the 14 years since Al Qaeda carried out attacks on New York and the Pentagon, extremists have regularly executed smaller lethal assaults in the United States, explaining their motives in online manifestoes or social media rants.

But the breakdown of extremist ideologies behind those attacks may come as a surprise. Since Sept. 11, 2001, nearly twice as many people have been killed by white supremacists, antigovernment fanatics and other non-Muslim extremists than by radical Muslims: 48 have been killed by extremists who are not Muslim, including the recent mass killing in Charleston, S.C., compared with 26 by self-proclaimed jihadists, according to a count by New America, a Washington research center.

Right, he was a white supremacist

But is there some white supremacist group out there training and arming and sending these men out on missions? That would make them not a lone wolf, imo.

As it is, they are committing violence on their own because of a bad belief. No different than any self-proclaimed jihadist who weren't actually part of ISIS or anything.

I mean those instances clearly show there is still a problem with racism in our country and a problem with radical Islam in the Middle East. But how are those instances anything other than people acting as a "lone wolf"?

ObiFett on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

The rest of the park doesn't deserve to suffer because of one ugly monument.

• Options
    Republicans invited the daughter of the guy who was murdered by an immigrant to speak before Congress this week.

I look forward to them inviting the families of all these people murdered with a right-wing white American citizen next week.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    The recent shooter was lone wolf in that he acted alone when he shot up the theater. But he was not alone in that he's a pattern of crazy right wing white people who continue to attack america and we keep calling them "isolated incidents" indeed any news outlet that talks about this guys right wing views will probably get assailed from Fox news for vilifying the right.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2015

In the media? Check the color of their skin.

Right, but we aren't the media and I expect better from here. The media (both left and right) are schizophrenic when it comes to looking at the same situations but with different types of people.

If this isn't a lone wolf, then neither are the Tsarnaevs or Adbulazeez (who I think, and the forum thought, were lone wolves)

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Fair enough. But the current conversation is the targeted aspect of our history that really gets me going. That monument has existed for 40 years+ now. If done properly there is no real negative aspect of it existing as we should know our history. Sad part is a vast majority of it is "toxified" or "whitewashed".

So what? It being around for so long isn't a good reason to keep it up. There is a negative aspect to sites like this, it honors a traitorous government and movement, and maintains a toxic atmosphere for white supremacists to glorify their culture, not hide from it.

It's whitewashed by the very people who glorify these monuments, we don't need to have them and why would we? It's spitting in the face of what America is and encouraging our culture's worst attitudes with racism.
    So in essence you guys feel it is negative because of the racial issues that are being highlighted, I dislike to say going on because they have been for a long time, recently and as such there may be the circumstance where an individual looks at that monument and says "they had the right idea" or some other nonsense. If the monument was true to history regarding treason and brother against brother etc it wouldn't be so bad.

Monuments like this are honoring the Confederacy, not showing the true history of what happened. Racial issues are intertwined with the Civil War. It doesn't matter if there is some unicorn who looks at the monument and gets the opposite inspiration, it's not what the monument represents and what it's being honored in the South as.

There are for plenty other Confederate traitors.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular

But is there some white supremacist group out there training and arming and sending these men out on missions? That would make them not a lone wolf, imo.

As it is, they are committing violence on their own because of a bad belief. No different than any self-proclaimed jihadist who weren't actually part of ISIS or anything.

I mean those instances clearly show there is still a problem with racism in our country and a problem with radical Islam in the Middle East. But how are those instances anything other than people acting as a "lone wolf"?

I think you're misinterpreting sarcasm. People aren't upset this guy is being called a lone wolf. People are upset because this white guy is immediately described as a lone wolf, the brown muslim is immediately described a terrorist, and the white guy trying to start a race war is immediately described as a lone wolf.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    The recent shooter was lone wolf in that he acted alone when he shot up the theater. But he was not alone in that he's a pattern of crazy right wing white people who continue to attack america and we keep calling them "isolated incidents" indeed any news outlet that talks about this guys right wing views will probably get assailed from Fox news for vilifying the right.

Calling it an isolated incident is incorrect, right.

And of course the right wing is going to push back when people characterize their entire base by the very very very few crazy people who are using twisted versions of their ideologies to commit murder and atrocities. I find it hilariously ironic that in order to properly defend themselves they have to also concede that the "crazy Islam brown people" (to modify your quote) also do not properly represent the majority of Muslims.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Whatever monuments to at exist to Benedict Arnold on US territory, I can't imagine they'd be that hard to remove either.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    TheCanMan wrote: »

I think you're misinterpreting sarcasm. People aren't upset this guy is being called a lone wolf. People are upset because this white guy is immediately described as a lone wolf, the brown muslim is immediately described a terrorist, and the white guy trying to start a race war is immediately described as a lone wolf.

Oh, that makes sense

I was getting the impression that people were trying to say he wasn't a lone wolf

my bad

ObiFett on
  • Options

Fair enough. But the current conversation is the targeted aspect of our history that really gets me going. That monument has existed for 40 years+ now. If done properly there is no real negative aspect of it existing as we should know our history. Sad part is a vast majority of it is "toxified" or "whitewashed". So in essence you guys feel it is negative because of the racial issues that are being highlighted, I dislike to say going on because they have been for a long time, recently and as such there may be the circumstance where an individual looks at that monument and says "they had the right idea" or some other nonsense. If the monument was true to history regarding treason and brother against brother etc it wouldn't be so bad.

It really doesn't mattter how long the monument has been standing since it remains at it's core a celebration of the "heroes of the confederacy", which at it's core was founded on the idea that Whites were a superior race.

The fact that it's been up for decades does not change this. The fact that people in the south have spent over a century justifying secession does justify it.

It is Remanent of an age that is best seen for what it is with no romanticism or obfuscation.

Also
    it's hideous.

• Options

And of course the right wing is going to push back when people characterize their entire base by the very very very few crazy people who are using twisted versions of their ideologies to commit murder and atrocities. I find it hilariously ironic that in order to properly defend themselves they have to also concede that the "crazy Islam brown people" (to modify your quote) also do not properly represent the majority of Muslims.

When do they do that?

And the difference to me between right wing shooters in america, and muslims in america, is that there is no news channel I'm aware of throwing out dog whistles to muslims telling them their country is being stolen by white people who seek to destroy their way of life. Hell George Tiller's murder was basically called for by Bill O'reilley and he faced nothing for that particular action.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

:Thinks about Donald Trump's poll numbers:

:whistles:

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular

Oh, that makes sense

I was getting the impression that people were trying to say he wasn't a lone wolf

my bad

I guess kinda? The point Preacher is making is that alot of these "lone wolves" just so happen to come from the same social community. So while they're not taking orders from any formal organization, the media's incessant desire to describe them as "lone wolves" is pretty blatantly designed to not have to talk about why so many of these "isolated" incidents seem to have a something in common.

• Options

When do they do that?

And the difference to me between right wing shooters in america, and muslims in america, is that there is no news channel I'm aware of throwing out dog whistles to muslims telling them their country is being stolen by white people who seek to destroy their way of life. Hell George Tiller's murder was basically called for by Bill O'reilley and he faced nothing for that particular action.

I'm not saying they do do that.

I'm saying that they would have to do that in order to properly defend themselves from being mischaracterized by the few crazy far right white terrorists

• Options
    edited July 2015
    I mean the thing they all have in common is that they're angry dudes with easy access to firearms. Look, I've united the 200 of these we've had in less than a fucking decade.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options

Oh, that makes sense

my bad

I guess kinda? The point Preacher is making is that alot of these "lone wolves" just so happen to come from the same social community. So while they're not taking orders from any formal organization, the media's incessant desire to describe them as "lone wolves" is pretty blatantly designed to not have to talk about why so many of these "isolated" incidents seem to have a something in common.

But left leaning media does the same thing when it comes to Islam and Islamic Terrorists.

• Options

I'll admit I'm not following his numbers but if he polling well among the Right then I don't even know anymore

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Whatever monuments to at exist to Benedict Arnold on US territory, I can't imagine they'd be that to remove either.

As near as I can tell none of them are 70 feet high and carved into a mountain so that would make it a fair bit easier.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    It's the fact that this guy, and the last guy, and Elliot Roger, and the Aurora shooting guy, and the Connecticut guy, and all the other mass shooters ad infinitum are all lone wolves and "isolated incidents" and the media language carefully constructed to reinforce that view.

Meanwhile, one "lone wolf" middle eastern guy going on a spree and I have to step the hell away from the internet, because my Facebook feed fills up with "kill the ragheads" and it gets really fucking tiring after a while.

• Options

I'll admit I'm not following his numbers but if he polling well among the Right then I don't even know anymore

He's leading the GOP field right now. ~20%. He has yet to crack the Crazification Factor, which I suspect is his ceiling.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Whatever monuments to at exist to Benedict Arnold on US territory, I can't imagine they'd be that to remove either.

As near as I can tell none of them are 70 feet high and carved into a mountain so that would make it a fair bit easier.

I bet they're not nearly as popular either.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure he's way out in front

• Options
    edited July 2015
    But left leaning media does the same thing when it comes to Islam and Islamic Terrorists.

headshaketim.gif~c200

He polled the highest last I checked.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited July 2015

He's leading the GOP field right now. ~20%. He has yet to crack the Crazification Factor, which I suspect is his ceiling.
    Xaquin wrote: »

I'm pretty sure he's way out in front

Dude is insane. I want to think he's out in front because no one else is really campaigning as hard right now. No way does he actually win the nomination.

edit: this is really really off topic though and i'm done talking about trump, sorry

edit2: oh and totp, nice

ObiFett on
This discussion has been closed.