Options

[League of Legends] Worlds are here! Tag your spoilers!

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    that's pretty much how every assassin is supposed to play

but try telling that to most people who play assassins

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I mostly just really like talking about ARAM, king of modes

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I thought urf mode sucked. too much button mashing and painfully broken champs like galio.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yeah if you're an assassin just sit back and look for an opportunity to take kills. Team fighting won't strictly be your thing.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    urf does blow

but it's more because of the playerbase sucking all the fun out of it than anything else

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »

Learned this the hard way playing an assassin for the first time. I did okay when I didn't get carried away and kept away from tanks.

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular

Remember when, back in the day, Kha'zix got fifty percent damage reduction during his ult? And the pieces of garbage that played him thought that was balanced - and that without it, he was ruined.

butts
  • Options
    Khazix had a lot of overpowered stuff in his kit at release

I remember playing and going "haha how did they vet this"

• Options
    then they nerfed him out of midlane and junglers picked him up out of the trash and wrecked for another year

• Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    You know who *really* likes a support with the new zeke's?
    640px-Corki_UFOSkin.jpg

just in time for worlds.

Joe K on
  • Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    The effect only gives Corki six AP. I don't think he cares.

butts
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Jookie wrote: »

As a % wise the effect is larger for champions which build less crit[good for corki]. Then again, also smaller for champions with large amounts of bonus damage from other sources[bad for corki]. Also smaller for champions which have lower than normal crit scaling [Corki and Ashe, with Corki having some of the lowest in the game]

The damage boost is 50% with no crit. 57% for champions with IE only. 37% for champions with IE and PD. 43% for champions with 15% crit and no IE. Though of course this isn't counting ability damage.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I thought urf mode sucked. too much button mashing and painfully broken champs like galio.
    Whenever URF comes up I play it once or twice to experience the horror that is URF Jax goombastomping faces and then decides that is enough.

Especially since it's BP and people like to gravitate to people they think are strong like Xin or Yi or Fiora or whatever and Jax beats them for free.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I'd like it if URF was around permanently because it's closer to a practice mode than what we've got now. 30 CD flashes and 20 second ultimates means you can really figure out limitations and capabilities of a kit.

As a PVP mode, I usually don't get more than a handful of games in when it comes around.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    then they nerfed him out of midlane and junglers picked him up out of the trash and wrecked for another year

Junglers have learned to take the champions deemed unfit for mid and top and sneak them into the jungle to ruin everyone.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    I'd like it if URF was around permanently because it's closer to a practice mode than what we've got now. 30 CD flashes and 20 second ultimates means you can really figure out limitations and capabilities of a kit.

As a PVP mode, I usually don't get more than a handful of games in when it comes around.

I know some folks on the Riot team are old old old RTS players, including several StarCraft veterans. If you played StarCraft way back in the way back old days, you might remember "Big Game Hunters," and that (combined with Morello's experience at ArenaNet and with Guild Wars) seems to have scared Riot away from novelty in map and game mode design.

I do miss the weird, fun modes, and would like to see them a little more often, but I understand why they're kept so rare. The game is designed to be played on SR, that is what everything is balanced around and where the game's main depth is designed to be found. Players will flock to the novelty of URF or similar modes, but they lack the strategic depth necessary to maintain a game for years on end.

• Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Jookie wrote: »

As a % wise the effect is larger for champions which build less crit[good for corki]. Then again, also smaller for champions with large amounts of bonus damage from other sources[bad for corki]. Also smaller for champions which have lower than normal crit scaling [Corki and Ashe, with Corki having some of the lowest in the game]

The damage boost is 50% with no crit. 57% for champions with IE only. 37% for champions with IE and PD. 43% for champions with 15% crit and no IE. Though of course this isn't counting ability damage.

I wonder how effective it would be for Draven to use Zeke's to make up for PD and rely on more AD instead. Probably not wise overall, but MEGA AD + IE DRAVEN does like to kill people in two hits.

• Options
    If your support fets zekes it might make sense to get ghostblade as an alternative to PD.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    If your support fets zekes it might make sense to get ghostblade as an alternative to PD.

That's already a pretty popular pick for Draven.

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular

I know some folks on the Riot team are old old old RTS players, including several StarCraft veterans. If you played StarCraft way back in the way back old days, you might remember "Big Game Hunters," and that (combined with Morello's experience at ArenaNet and with Guild Wars) seems to have scared Riot away from novelty in map and game mode design.

I do miss the weird, fun modes, and would like to see them a little more often, but I understand why they're kept so rare. The game is designed to be played on SR, that is what everything is balanced around and where the game's main depth is designed to be found. Players will flock to the novelty of URF or similar modes, but they lack the strategic depth necessary to maintain a game for years on end.
    I strongly disagree with this reading of the situation. I think Riot saw themselves how poorly populated their own alternate map modes (TT and Dom) were and decided that heavily investing resources into such modes in hopes of long term player adoption wasn't working. Sure they have dedicated fanbases (Talith and that one other guy) but it distracts from their core gameplay offerings. There's an interesting dev blog from 2014 that discusses the idea behind temporary game modes. Iterating in small bursts where there are no expectations on long-term balance, maintenance and updates (see: balance drought for TT/Dom for long stretches of time before they put a team on it) allow them to try new things and, where they are successful (hello ARAM snowballs), implement them into the game.

Far from being "scared away from novelty in map and game mode design" I think Riot eventually understood the constraints and demands that permanent features create. While this doesn't excuse the lack of things like sandbox mode, they don't want to create another situation where they're forced to devote more and more resources just to maintain things like a permanent URF. The core product is indeed SR and that's where the majority of gameplay updates occur. What happens alongside those updates is echoing effects through Dom/TT and to a lesser extent ARAM which have to be accounted for.

The BGH<->RTS<->Map Mode connection is some illuminati shit, I really don't understand where you're coming from with that.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    JAEF wrote: »

I strongly disagree with this reading of the situation. I think Riot saw themselves how poorly populated their own alternate map modes (TT and Dom) were and decided that heavily investing resources into such modes in hopes of long term player adoption wasn't working. Sure they have dedicated fanbases (Talith and that one other guy) but it distracts from their core gameplay offerings. There's an interesting dev blog from 2014 that discusses the idea behind temporary game modes. Iterating in small bursts where there are no expectations on long-term balance, maintenance and updates (see: balance drought for TT/Dom for long stretches of time before they put a team on it) allow them to try new things and, where they are successful (hello ARAM snowballs), implement them into the game.

Far from being "scared away from novelty in map and game mode design" I think Riot eventually understood the constraints and demands that permanent features create. While this doesn't excuse the lack of things like sandbox mode, they don't want to create another situation where they're forced to devote more and more resources just to maintain things like a permanent URF. The core product is indeed SR and that's where the majority of gameplay updates occur. What happens alongside those updates is echoing effects through Dom/TT and to a lesser extent ARAM which have to be accounted for.

The BGH<->RTS<->Map Mode connection is some illuminati shit, I really don't understand where you're coming from with that.

rude

i mostly think it was just poor communication of the conscious decision to focus on SR that tanked the alt game modes and built up a fuckload of resentment from Dom/TT players

they kept saying "yeah we'll look into it, we'll look into it, we got a guy working on it"
    then finally "just kidding we aren't working on it"

had they just been honest from the start and been like "this is a mistake we made, this is what we learned from it, this is how we're addressing it" people probably just would have been like "whatever but i guess i understand"

Orphane on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Skarner to be reworked again. Garen added to the rework schedule along with Darius and Morde.

Pls Rito no kill Darius Q and passive.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    the funny thing is ascension is probably more balanced than SR

• Options
    edited August 2015

rude

i mostly think it was just poor communication of the conscious decision to focus on SR that tanked the alt game modes and built up a fuckload of resentment from Dom/TT players

they kept saying "yeah we'll look into it, we'll look into it, we got a guy working on it"

had they just been honest from the start and been like "this is a mistake we made, this is what we learned from it, this is how we're addressing it" people probably just would have been like "whatever but i guess i understand"
    I'm sure better communication would have been good for the company image and maybe quelled some grumbling but I don't know that it would have made any difference in the actual player base for those maps moreso than actually committing the resources required to make them permanent (semi-)competitive modes. All their balancing resources are dedicated to SR, they do have that one guy updating a few things here and there with TT/Dom as they go, but they've made it clear they don't want to dilute the queues long term nor invest the required resources into upkeep for permanent new maps and game modes.

These lore events (with accompanying new modes/maps, earnable icons, etc.) are also a great way to re-engage old players and get them to come back, play, buy some skins, buy gangplank, get pissed gangplank is disabled, uninstall, then reinstall when the next lore event is out and forget they bought gangplank. Business-wise it makes sense, Riot has fun, the players have fun. Maybe they'll take a stab at bigger features down the road but honestly, with Riot's internal structure and deliverable pipeline it's a miracle they even get patches out the door.

JAEF on
  • Options
    China did this event much better. Gangplank is not disabled; it's just you can only play as ghost GP

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015

rude

I'm sure better communication would have been good for the company image and maybe quelled some grumbling but I don't know that it would have made any difference in the actual player base for those maps moreso than actually committing the resources required to make them permanent (semi-)competitive modes. All their balancing resources are dedicated to SR, they do have that one guy updating a few things here and there with TT/Dom as they go, but they've made it clear they don't want to dilute the queues long term nor invest the required resources into upkeep for permanent new maps and game modes.

These lore events (with accompanying new modes/maps, earnable icons, etc.) are also a great way to re-engage old players and get them to come back, play, buy some skins, buy gangplank, get pissed gangplank is disabled, uninstall, then reinstall when the next lore event is out and forget they bought gangplank. Business-wise it makes sense, Riot has fun, the players have fun. Maybe they'll take a stab at bigger features down the road but honestly, with Riot's internal structure and deliverable pipeline it's a miracle they even get patches out the door.

oh no, i agree with you on the whole "not making a difference" part

i just mean they should have let us know their intentions earlier so we could either decide to bail and not suffer the vain hope of getting dedicated support or stick with dominion as it would be

Orphane on
  • Options
    informed decisions as it were

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Since it came up earlier, I got around to breaking out jungle Sated Devourer Aatrox out for testing purposes. It's decent if he can get to fight squishies and not get kited like a bitch but his kit still kinda sucks these days *and* he just flat out loses straight up to guys like Jax...so if you want to do this just play Jax.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    who wants a piece of the champ

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    0iXH2mR.png

this was a highlight. I'd like to thank the wonderful community

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I'm having to play ARAMs for these icons.

I hate ARAM.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular

rude

oh no, i agree with you on the whole "not making a difference" part

i just mean they should have let us know their intentions earlier so we could either decide to bail and not suffer the vain hope of getting dedicated support or stick with dominion as it would be

Or, y'know...I'd love to see them take out all other game modes and then suddenly and surprisingly about 1/3 of their playerbase miraculously disappears.

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • Options
    VarethiusVarethius CymruRegistered User regular
    Going into Ranked as my worst role (ADC), I called jungler but being bottom on the pole means I got stuck with it :/
    Wonder how fun this'll be!

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Varethius wrote: »
    Going into Ranked as my worst role (ADC), I called jungler but being bottom on the pole means I got stuck with it :/

1) Pick Draven.

2) Throw axes.

3) Catch axes.

4) Revel in the crowd's adulation.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Kay wrote: »
    Varethius wrote: »

1) Pick Draven.

1.2) Pick Gladiator Draven skin.

2) Throw axes.

3) Catch axes.

3.7) Recall

4) Revel in the crowd's adulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSizo8ukJkQ

• Options
    China did this event much better. Gangplank is not disabled; it's just you can only play as ghost GP
    China has temporary skin/champ access built into the client (you get champ/skin rewards with limited duration as rewards for certain things like leveling up) which makes stuff like that pretty easy to implement. You'd think it wouldn't be too hard on NA with the spaghetti code they have for ARAM temp skins and stuff but who knows. Maybe it destroyed their test client.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Okay now I want Gladiator Draven. (I have Prime Time and Soul Reaver.)

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    What does the Sated phantom attack actually do? What exactly is an "on-hit effect"? I have trouble grasping the way the item works from the wiki description.
    On-hit is any effect that activates additionally whenever you make an auto attack. The extra magic damage of the Sated Devourer itself is an on-hit.

This is easiest to understand with things that go off every hit, such as Sated or BoRK or Wit's End. It means that every other auto attack, the phantom will kick in and apply an additional extra hit of damage from those items on top of the normal hit from the auto attack itself.

On people who stack like Jax or Xin Zhao or Aatrox, what it means is every other attack they get two stacks on their counter instead of one. Practically speaking, Jax gets his extra damage hit from his ult passive every other hit instead of every third hit, Xin and Aatrox heal every other hit instead of every third hit, and so on.

I love that it makes a little phantom version of you to make the extra attack. Very nice touch

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I'm sad I never got to play Lux with a w that makes your allies invisible

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    What does the Sated phantom attack actually do? What exactly is an "on-hit effect"? I have trouble grasping the way the item works from the wiki description.
    On-hit is any effect that activates additionally whenever you make an auto attack. The extra magic damage of the Sated Devourer itself is an on-hit.

This is easiest to understand with things that go off every hit, such as Sated or BoRK or Wit's End. It means that every other auto attack, the phantom will kick in and apply an additional extra hit of damage from those items on top of the normal hit from the auto attack itself.

On people who stack like Jax or Xin Zhao or Aatrox, what it means is every other attack they get two stacks on their counter instead of one. Practically speaking, Jax gets his extra damage hit from his ult passive every other hit instead of every third hit, Xin and Aatrox heal every other hit instead of every third hit, and so on.

I love that it makes a little phantom version of you to make the extra attack. Very nice touch

Tried this on Yi yesterday and never saw this animation? Is this on high settings only because medium is about it for me.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.