Options

[Xbox Live Thread] - go to the new thread!

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    that's quite the post

I'm old, I have a baby, a wife, and my xbox is upstairs. All my DVDs and game and what not are downstairs. When I somehow do make time to play a game if I can just quickly sit down, browse my library and hit start on the one game I have 30 minutes to play, for me, it's infinitely easier for my current situation.

This is especially true if I'm for some reason going to pay full price for a game and pre-order it. I'm not going to blind buy a game I might not like but for example I know I'm going to like Forza 6 and that I will never trade it in, buying it full price, pre-loading it, and never having to deal with the disc? It's so good.

but ya, totally, i'm just lazy and unhealthy and just like to sit on the couch for hoooours at a time without having to get up and change a disc

Your xbox is upstairs.

Your games are downstairs.

This sounds like an error in logistics.

This would probably be more effective a case I hadn't spent much of my life in a house a tiny floor plan and four separate levels, having gotten acclimated carrying tapes or books up and down two floors more than a dozen times a day until a second VHS deck was installed on the second floor, reducing that to one floor. My grandmother, whom I'm confident is significantly older, still does that since she actually lives in that house.

So I really don't consider that unusual. Inefficient, sure, but not unusual. I suspect most people in this thread are actually a good bit more efficient with their space (I currently am, but I have a small apartment), but some of them are more worried about a possible tendency towards a purely digital marketplace as desired by the publisher. Seems like a pretty valid concern to me, but maybe I've just got an old mindset that remembers how much everyone everywhere hated Steam at first. A few years after re-selling console games stops being a thing, we could (generally) stop caring too.

But, as he says, it's so good.

yeah sorry. I forgot to include a smiley or make the post seem more ridiculous. my statement was tongue-in-cheek though.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Knowing that at least some of my three hundred plus 360 games will be made available to me without any effort on my part is a huuuge reason to love digital libraries.
    When I moved cities years ago I had a binder of my physical games stolen, around 50 or so games from Dreamcast, oXbox and 360. Since then I have slowly reclaimed many of those games digitally, either through sales on XBL or for free from GwG.
    For me, digital libraries are really useful and secure. I don't think physical discs are worse in anyway, but digital is far more convenient to my current lifestyle.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Still loving being able to share digital games across two households by giving with "home xbox" settings.

I've got a question about this.

Say for Christmas I get my girlfriend and Xbone so I can stop packing it up with me every time I spend the weekend at her place and I share the majority of the games we play together so that way we can keep playing.

Can I share a copy of say, Diablo 3 (that I digitally purchased), and can we both play it at the same time on separate systems?

(I'm sure there's a faq of this exact scenario on the Xbox site somewhere...)

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    Yes, this is absolutely possible. If you set it up correctly, you can buy one copy of the game and it will download on both consoles right away. Same with DLC.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Ya me and my best friend take advantage of this as most games we get we play together. In the old days this was a copy for each, and sometimes one couldn't afford a game at.the time. Now we alternate purchases cause anytime I buy something it downloads on his xbox and vice versa.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Ya me and my best friend take advantage of this as most games we get we play together. In the old days this was a copy for each, and sometimes one couldn't afford a game at.the time. Now we alternate purchases cause anytime I buy something it downloads on his xbox and vice versa.

This is exactly what I do, I buy digital now because it means my friend gets the games too, including multiplayer which we can play at the same time. So we don't need two copies of battlefield when I buy digital

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    So I assume the setup (since my girlfriend and I will be in a similar situation soon) would be: xbox at my place set as her Home console, xbox at hers set as my Home console, right? Then anything I buy on the one at my place is assigned to hers so she can play it, and vice versa.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Yeah as long as it's a digital copy the sharing completely works, I have no idea why Microsoft doesn't advertise it as a massive feature, maybe to not piss off retailers? Since you're essentially getting two copies of the game for one, including multiplayer games you can play at the same time. It's kind of nuts

• Options
    Yeah, I imagine retailers and publishers don't really want that being used as a promotional aspect for the console.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    So I assume the setup (since my girlfriend and I will be in a similar situation soon) would be: xbox at my place set as her Home console, xbox at hers set as my Home console, right? Then anything I buy on the one at my place is assigned to hers so she can play it, and vice versa.

I've never heard this. Amazing. How do I go about setting my account as home on a friend's system?

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    This is the setup information here:

http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/games/my-home-xbox

You'll basically have to sign in to your friends console and then set it up as your home console and your friend does the same to yours. Then, you both sign into your Xboxes again and away you go.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    jefe414 wrote: »

I've never heard this. Amazing. How do I go about setting my account as home on a friend's system?

Me neither, can I play on my own profile while me and my friend play his digital copy of Diablo 3?

Edit: Refreshing the page might have been a good idea.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Sirialis wrote: »

Me neither, can I play on my own profile while me and my friend play his digital copy of Diablo 3?

Yep. It's as if the other person owns the game entirely, they can delete and reinstall it at any time, and the other person doesn't have to be signed out for you to play or anything like that. I play all of my multiplayer games with my room mate from just one purchased copy. He has his own TV and his own Xbox and so do I, so we just alternate game purchases. Dlc and season passes also carry over

I was so confused by it when I first found out, I was convinced some how I was accidently doing something illegal, so I actually phoned up Microsoft and asked haha, they assured me it's a feature of the console

Frankly even though it is a set and completely legit feature, I still feel like it's magic voodoo that will fall apart any minute, cos it's so damn rad it feels too good to be true. But me and my roommate have had each other's Xbox ones sharing since launch, we play battlefield against each other even though only my account purchased it. And he can play any games I've bought even if my console is off and I'm not signed in.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »

Yep. It's as if the other person owns the game entirely, they can delete and reinstall it at any time, and the other person doesn't have to be signed out for you to play or anything like that. I play all of my multiplayer games with my room mate from just one purchased copy. He has his own TV and his own Xbox and so do I, so we just alternate game purchases. Dlc and season passes also carry over

I was so confused by it when I first found out, I was convinced some how I was accidently doing something illegal, so I actually phoned up Microsoft and asked haha, they assured me it's a feature of the console

Frankly even though it is a set and completely legit feature, I still feel like it's magic voodoo that will fall apart any minute, cos it's so damn rad it feels too good to be true. But me and my roommate have had each other's Xbox ones sharing since launch, we play battlefield against each other even though only my account purchased it. And he can play any games I've bought even if my console is off and I'm not signed in.

We kind of already do this on the 360, but I'm really glad they cleaned it up and rolled it under a simple "Home console" button, than the slightly more complicated system that's on the 360. Super awesome.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Okay so help me out. I have an Xbox One, we'll call it "A". My bro has an Xbox One also, in a different house, we'll call that "B". If I make B my home console, and he makes A his, I understand that we get to play each other's games.

But if I buy a game on A (which is now HIS home), is the license ultimately with me if we "break up" this relationship? Like say I reestablish A as MY home console later on for whatever reason. I only lose access to the games HE bought on console B, right?

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

We kind of already do this on the 360, but I'm really glad they cleaned it up and rolled it under a simple "Home console" button, than the slightly more complicated system that's on the 360. Super awesome.

This might be more than one revision ago, but previous on the Xbox 360, if you bought a game from XBLA (for example), you got to keep it...

...On the console your profile you initially purchased it on. Say my profile was loaded up on a friend's console, I buy Metal Slug 3, he can keep playing the game even after I stop using my profile on his console.

...A console registered as being "mine" as in belonging to my profile.

A consequence of this system was that if you didn't transfer the licenses over (for example, say you replaced your Xbox 360 and just redownloaded all your old games into it), you could run games fine until you were disconnected from Xbox Live, in which case they would typically revert back to trial mode even if you were signed in on the console (but not on Live). To fix this, you simply transfered your intangible license to the new console from the defunct one.

The new system is probably a lot better. I do prefer even the old system to the old system on the PS3, that set a limited number of installations (I'm certain Sony got rid of that too).

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Okay so help me out. I have an Xbox One, we'll call it "A". My bro has an Xbox One also, in a different house, we'll call that "B". If I make B my home console, and he makes A his, I understand that we get to play each other's games.

But if I buy a game on A (which is now HIS home), is the license ultimately with me if we "break up" this relationship? Like say I reestablish A as MY home console later on for whatever reason. I only lose access to the games HE bought on console B, right?

The license is tied to the gamertag not the console. So anything you buy is yours.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

In my case, my buddy's xbox is my home console. It's also his home console. I buy all the games and pay about 75% of the total cost across the life of the games. If we ever "divorced" he'd own none of the games, but since I pay more he's fine with it. I still end up paying less than I would have anyway.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Boy, it's almost as if the all digital future that MS wanted to push originally with the Xbox One is actually a better way to use the console!

Shocking I say!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Boy, it's almost as if the all digital future that MS wanted to push originally with the Xbox One is actually a better way to use the console!

Shocking I say!

Come on man, why tread on old battlegrounds?

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Shocking I say!

Come on man, why tread on old battlegrounds?

Format war never changes.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

Shocking I say!

To be fair, this doesn't really sound any different than Sony's account system on PS4. And this was done pretty easily on the PS3 as well. A good friend of mine and I have been sharing our digital PS3 collection for years, taking turns buying big releases.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    If the game licenses are tied to the gamertag and not the hardware, why do you need to make the "other" console your home one? So A is mine B is someone else's why do I need to make theirs my home console? Could I just theoretically log in there at some point download the game and be done?

• Options
    If the game licenses are tied to the gamertag and not the hardware, why do you need to make the "other" console your home one? So A is mine B is someone else's why do I need to make theirs my home console? Could I just theoretically log in there at some point download the game and be done?

No, he'd lose access to the game once you logged out. But, if you are constantly playing games on "his" home console, and he is constantly playing on "yours", you each have access to each others games.

• Options
    It's basically exploiting a loophole in the account system. The reason Microsoft doesn't advertise it as a feature is because it's not really the intended use.

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    It's basically exploiting a loophole in the account system. The reason Microsoft doesn't advertise it as a feature is because it's not really the intended use.

It'd be like them advertising using fake addresses to circumvent regional pricing. :pop:

• Options

Right. Within the same household is the advertised feature. Good friends sharing games is the loophole.

But really, how can they say you are not going to your friends house to game a lot? :)

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    no, it's 100% the intended use. It's just "supposed" to be between family members.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular

Basically the way it works is anyone on your home console has access to your library without you needing to be logged in. If they tried the same thing on another console they wouldn't have access to your titles. Essentially setting a home console ties your gamertag to that machine sharing the licenses to all users.

• Options
    no, it's 100% the intended use. It's just "supposed" to be between family members.

Regardless of whether you're talking friends or family, same household or different household, if you're talking about making your console someone else's "primary" console and making their console your "primary", it's clearly not the intended use.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular

Regardless of whether you're talking friends or family, same household or different household, if you're talking about making your console someone else's "primary" console and making their console your "primary", it's clearly not the intended use.

This is why I asked what I did. The word " home" implies some stuff so it seemed bizarre at first. Whether it is actually intended or not I guess is up for debate.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular

That's like, your opinion man. And one Microsoft seems to disagree with with how it works.

• Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Basically the way it works is anyone on your home console has access to your library without you needing to be logged in. If they tried the same thing on another console they wouldn't have access to your titles. Essentially setting a home console ties your gamertag to that machine sharing the licenses to all users.
    The console that isn't your 'home' only has access to your titles while your GT is actively signed in, correct?

So, The friend-sharing home console swap won't work if there is more than one GT that uses your XBO (beyond the other person you're 'sharing' with, that is). So, if your wife/kid/etc has their own GT on the XBO, it's a no-go.

• Options
    Senna1 wrote: »
    The console that isn't your 'home' only has access to your titles while your GT is actively signed in, correct?

So, The friend-sharing home console swap won't work if there is more than one GT that uses your XBO (beyond the other person you're 'sharing' with, that is). So, if your wife/kid/etc has their own GT on the XBO, it's a no-go.

Nope. Home console has access to your library regardless if you are logged in or not.
    At other consoles you can access the home user's library and your own.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I do this with my brother. I don't own GTA V or PvZ but they both show up in my "Ready to Install" list. He hasn't signed in on my console in months but when I bought Rare Replay he had instant access tp all those games on his consolem

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Sounds like MS is discussing the possibility of adding original Xbox games to back compat too, somewhere down the line.
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142040-Xbox-One-Backwards-Compatibility-With-Original-Xbox

• Options
    If they managed to make JSRF work on the XBO better than it did on the 360, I would buy the console immediately.

• Options
    Oh man please port Deathrow

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Downloading the CTE for bf4. If anyone else needs into the preview program to do the same, just ask in here

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Fuck I completely forgot about how digital game sharing is actually a thing on the XBO and that it's fucking rad