Options

[Xbox Live Thread] - go to the new thread!

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    You can still play single-player and be connected to the internet, though. I don't want to play MP just to get the pretties...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    yeah, i mean its not going to dis-connect you from the internet when you pick single-player, its just that no buildings will blow up.

• Options
    Well, that's lame...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    People get REAL hot about SP modes needing internet. Don't blame 'em for not including it. Who wants shouting?

dporowski on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I agree it would have been a mistake to lock single player to online. But a toggle would have been nice.
    In any case, still very excited for more Crackdown.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    so the destructible city in Crackdown 3 will be multiplayer only. since it needs 'The Cloud!' they're restricting it to multiplayer since both these features require you to be online. i would have liked to have seen it as a toggle in single-player, allow it for those that are connected but i guess i can understand why they don't want you destroying the city you're meant to be saving. :(

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/crackdown-3-destruction-restricted-to-multiplayer/1100-6429544/?utm_source=gamefaqs&utm_medium=partner&utm_content=news_module&utm_campaign=homepage

The Giant Bomb guys brought up a good point: destructible buildings don't mesh well with game design that's dependent on deliberate placement of powerups.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    "Alright, time to get that Agility orb at the top of this building..."

*fwoosh.... BOOM...crumble*

"You asshole."

:twisted:

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I bought Rare Replay. Insane value in there. I always wanted the Banjo games and Conker but $15 a pop was a little steep. $30 for all three plus 27 other games? Sold.

A few interesting tidbits:
    -It has a CRT mode toggle, makes the screen simulate scanlines and the shape of old arcade screens.
    - 9 of the games are 360 BC titles (with compatible cloud saves), except notably the Conker which is running off a N64 simulator and not the HD 360 version for whatever reason
    - The version of KI Classic is different than the standalone version you get from buying the KI Combo Breaker pack
    - It has it's own in-game achievements called Stamps which unlock small documentaries about Race's history
    - Obviously, no Goldeneye or DKC :(

Note: Conker remake was an original Xbox game and it was never in HD.

It is not Live & Reloaded, it is the original N64 version. There was apparently never an HD version until now I guess?

Ah. That is even better. I liked the original's art style more and it seemed like it was cruder. Adding a realistic look actually hurt that one.

The whole thing is an absurdly good deal. Even though they had to fix the controls, I am happy with a high res Jet Force Gemini.

Hopefully, the emulation is not dodgy.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    SP Crackdown is a more controlled experience which can allow for more setpieces and such while MP sounds emergent as fuck. It sounds amazingly frankly, unless they mess up on something.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    What is the multiplayer though exactly? I hope its a coop version of the city and not closed off smaller areas

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    That pretty much kills it for me. Even if (when) I get an XBO, I don't have any friends who plan on ever getting one. So even if destruction is in co-op, I won't be seeing it.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Where is my Red Faction sequel

Also Deathrow

But mainly red faction

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Yeah honestly my guess is that they could have added cloud destructability into the campaign if they really wanted to, but having complete freedom to level the world would completely fuck with level design and shit like that

At the very most, they'll probably add limited destructability

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    What is the multiplayer though exactly? I hope its a coop version of the city and not closed off smaller areas

it does seem like it'll be the entire city, but the quotes in the article i linked suggest that it'll be some form of competitive play/deathmatch.

i'd expect there will still be the standard co-op play too, but imagine that will treated the same as single player, so maybe the better way of classing it is campaign vs multiplayer.

• Options
    Yeah honestly my guess is that they could have added cloud destructability into the campaign if they really wanted to, but having complete freedom to level the world would completely fuck with level design and shit like that

At the very most, they'll probably add limited destructability

Legions of nerds throw screaming fits about "the cloud" the second someone says "online needed for SP". I wouldn't build it in either. Sure, it's totally possible, all you'd need is the connection to Azure/Live. But it's not worth having to deal with the noise.

This is literally "why we can't have nice things". Even if it's entirely, 100%, completely and utterly optional, some goose on the Twitters or Reddits or something will make shit up, start a pissing match because they hate "M$" or "love the Sony" or "MY JUICE WAS WARM!" or some goosing arbitrary reason or other, and here we bloody go again.

... Also, you're completely correct, I would level every single building to get the powerups on top, and I cannot be the only one, either. The level designers would cry for weeks.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Hopefully co-op is full onstory mode with friends. They make it sound like leveling a building to kill a target is a common thing.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Hopefully co-op is full onstory mode with friends. They make it sound like leveling a building to kill a target is a common thing.

It's the only logical way.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Yeah I think adding full destruction to online co-op campaign would be a riot :lol:

Completely silly and probably not reasonably functional, but funny regardless!

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    That pretty much kills it for me. Even if (when) I get an XBO, I don't have any friends who plan on ever getting one. So even if destruction is in co-op, I won't be seeing it.

Ahhhh Dirty...
    You have us!

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    IIRC, the N64 version of Conker also has less bleeped out profanity than the Xbox version, surprisingly. That's probably why they included it.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    IGN have 17 minutes of Crackdown footage which I've been sat here psyching myself up to watch.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWANLy9TjRc

edit: so it seems to be the same tech demo as has been going around. Well, I mean, it's always still good to see.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    I've cooled off on Crackdown a little. I'm sure I'll still buy it at some point, but probably not right away. The awesome destruction stuff being MP only does make sense, but it's still a bummer.

Now Quantum Break, that's looking shit-hot. The time manipulation gameplay looks really cool.

• Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    Is there an easy way to get the games with gold games without actually downloading them?

I know I get the games online at xbox.com but every time I do, it starts to automatically download. Which is annoying.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »

... Also, you're completely correct, I would level every single building to get the powerups on top, and I cannot be the only one, either. The level designers would cry for weeks.

But Orbs aren't actually affixed to the objects though! They'd just hover there, mocking you for all eternity. :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Maybe they will give you a jetpack.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Asharad wrote: »
    Is there an easy way to get the games with gold games without actually downloading them?

I know I get the games online at xbox.com but every time I do, it starts to automatically download. Which is annoying.

Start the download, wait two seconds, cancel it. Go to hard drive, delete the unfinished file.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Holy shit hell. I don't know where else to put this, but I just watched the Crackdown 3 demo from Gamescom and fuck.

If I didn't already have a X1, I would be going to the store to buy one today.

I need that shit in my blood, now. Microsoft; don't even waste time trying to do a story or campaign. Just give us a city and let us go!

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Holy shit hell. I don't know where else to put this, but I just watched the Crackdown 3 demo from Gamescom and fuck.

I need that shit in my blood, now. Microsoft; don't even waste time trying to do a story or campaign. Just give us a city and let us go!

Yeah I've seen this sentiment in a few places now.

It's funny how Crackdown's seemingly gone from "Halo 3 beta, with exclusive free Crackdown!" to a possible system-seller making PS4-owners jealous*.

*based on actual evidence seen by me from people who don't own an Xbone and are wondering what to do about that situation.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    darleysam wrote: »

Yeah I've seen this sentiment in a few places now.

It's funny how Crackdown's seemingly gone from "Halo 3 beta, with exclusive free Crackdown!" to a possible system-seller making PS4-owners jealous*.

*based on actual evidence seen by me from people who don't own an Xbone and are wondering what to do about that situation.

Especially after having a mediocre second game.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    The first Crackdown is one of my favorite games.

2 was a big disappointment. Not that it wasn't fun, but it did lack some of the charm of the first and having the whole city be an almost identical rehash didn't help. The gameplay improvements were nice, but ultimately it just felt like you were playing, at best, a DLC. I 100%'d the first one but I never went back and did the same for 2.

1 really was something new. The whole free roaming thing hadn't taken off like it has today, nor had the 'super power' style game that started to become more popular later too. Crackdown and Mass Effect were what sold me on a 360 in the first place, and I wasn't disappointed. It really is too bad that it was viewed as a secondary thing to Halo 3 because it was just as good (in obviously vastly different ways) as Halo 3, and deserved more love. 2 being a cash-in didn't help anything though. :(

Still! 3 will, ultimately, probably be very similar in structure to the first two games; but that level of physics based destruction is something else entirely. That's the sort of 'game changing' feature that can make an otherwise 'generic' rise above others.

I really really hope that, when it finally comes out, people pay attention. That sort of innovation (the cloud based physics and such to dramatically expand the power of the console) needs to be celebrated and I hope, really hope, that its multiplayer thrives.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Oh same, I was all about Crackdown for Crackdown's sake. That first game was an utter joy, and I did enjoy plenty about 2, but in hindsight it was an inferior game. So I'm so glad the series has survived it and seems to be coming back strong with this. I remember thinking how it'd just be some fantasy, pie-in-the-sky impossible dream to be able to Hulk through walls and just completely wreck buildings if a new one were ever made, and yet here we are.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular

Start the download, wait two seconds, cancel it. Go to hard drive, delete the unfinished file.

I was afraid of that.

Poor system compared to the way PS+ does it.

Thank you though for the reply.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    The first Crackdown is one of my favorite games.

2 was a big disappointment. Not that it wasn't fun, but it did lack some of the charm of the first and having the whole city be an almost identical rehash didn't help. The gameplay improvements were nice, but ultimately it just felt like you were playing, at best, a DLC. I 100%'d the first one but I never went back and did the same for 2.

1 really was something new. The whole free roaming thing hadn't taken off like it has today, nor had the 'super power' style game that started to become more popular later too. Crackdown and Mass Effect were what sold me on a 360 in the first place, and I wasn't disappointed. It really is too bad that it was viewed as a secondary thing to Halo 3 because it was just as good (in obviously vastly different ways) as Halo 3, and deserved more love. 2 being a cash-in didn't help anything though. :(

Still! 3 will, ultimately, probably be very similar in structure to the first two games; but that level of physics based destruction is something else entirely. That's the sort of 'game changing' feature that can make an otherwise 'generic' rise above others.

I really really hope that, when it finally comes out, people pay attention. That sort of innovation (the cloud based physics and such to dramatically expand the power of the console) needs to be celebrated and I hope, really hope, that its multiplayer thrives.

I kind of liked the sense of permanence and growth that came with using largely the same city in both games.

I have no intention of going back to 100% the second one either... I think what I'm missing is most if not all the multiplayer stuff. :T

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I was afraid of that.

Poor system compared to the way PS+ does it.

Thank you though for the reply.

You could also disable background/standby downloads on either console.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Is it possible to "buy" them on xbox.com and just not queue the download to your console?

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Good to see Lara has fully embraced her psychopathic nature in this game.

and she's learned some deadly new tricks too. :)

Yes. That is what makes Laura Croft who she is. I was hoping that crazy daredevil attitude would come back. I hope they have her doing that crazy face that first one used to do.

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »

But Orbs aren't actually affixed to the objects though! They'd just hover there, mocking you for all eternity. :P

So "blow up a building from frustration" then, gotcha.

The solution is ALWAYS "dakka".

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Tooled around with Rash a bit in Killer Instinct. He fits in really well in the game. Just incomplete. His animations are a bit rough, no ultra or taunt yet.
    Maximillian Dood made the S3 trailer (he worked as the story consultant for Season 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcmQIPPdFic

Looks like from the twitter and teaser at the end of the Rash trailer that Mei and Tusk will be making the cut for Season 3.
    and (season 2 spoilers)
    Gargos for sure will be present and hopefully Eyedoll will return

Doesn't come out till March but check out Max play Rash in Exhibition (he's banned from Rank for now)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EL0IXK3m6Q

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I'm not much of a KI person or a Battletoads person, but that's some clever cross-promotion right there.

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    Is it possible to "buy" them on xbox.com and just not queue the download to your console?

I know I've still got a bunch of games that I added through the site from before we got a console, that it's never tried to download. Not sure what would happen if I did it now but I'd bet it wouldn't automatically try to download anything.

forumsig.png