As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[sysadmin] sexy.code = new.underpants.required

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Do any of you have the misfortune of remembering Lotus Notes?

I don't administer it but I come into contact with it on the reg

I do not like

Did it have like a user keyfile that had to be generated for each email install? Or am i thinking of novell?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Isn't there some "Enterprise Mode" browser you can install separately if you have IE11 that emulates IE8?

Hold on, let me look that up...

Ah, it's a user-level group policy setting that is disabled by default:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/184634/how-to-enable-and-use-internet-explorer-11s-enterprise-mode/

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Do any of you have the misfortune of remembering Lotus Notes?

I don't administer it but I come into contact with it on the reg

I do not like

Did it have like a user keyfile that had to be generated for each email install? Or am i thinking of novell?
    Yeah, there's an ID file, which contains a user's private encryption key and certificate for access to the server. It's a bit weird to deal with at first, but they've made a lot of strides to making it easy to have the password to unlock with the Windows Kerberos token so the user doesn't have to type a password a second time, as long as it is in the right place and named properly. The ID file process was actually way ahead of its time as far as PKCS-type systems go, but some of that is going by the wayside (somewhat) as we've had to roll out webmail and email on our iPhones.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I'm about to punch my screen. Does anyone have any good solutions to moving folders in SharePoint 2013? Everything says to use Explorer View, but it keeps saying that my client does not support that view. I've worked with multiple workarounds that people swear work but none do. This is totally insane that there isn't a simple way to do this.

EDIT: *sigh* I'm not 100% on this, but apparently the Explorer View is not compatible with IE 10+. I had to jump onto a server with IE9 in order to do this. There has to be something else going on, because that's just fucking stupid.

can you not just run IE10 in compatibility mode?
    It doesn't work in IE10 either. That's how shitty the whole thing is. From what I've found, you have to use IE9 or earlier. Thank the gods I have some 2008 servers left; 2008 R2 uses IE11 while the first 2008 can only use IE9.

EDIT: I just re-read what you wrote. We don't have a single system with IE10 installed. It's IE 11 for Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 or IE9 for Server 2008. We opted to push out the latest version because I believe early next year is when MS is going to force all copies of Windows to only have the latest version of IE for their OS. Starting early and forcing compatibility changes earlier this year made more sense than a mad dash when we had to.

IE 11 still hast he compatibility settings. http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-enable-compatibility-view-in-internet-explorer-11-ie11/
    I tried that to no avail. It's totally fucked up. It was one of the first things I tried.
    Isn't there some "Enterprise Mode" browser you can install separately if you have IE11 that emulates IE8?

Hold on, let me look that up...

Ah, it's a user-level group policy setting that is disabled by default:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/184634/how-to-enable-and-use-internet-explorer-11s-enterprise-mode/
    Interesting. I had never heard of that before. Sadly, that also did not work; or I'm doing it wrong. It still tells me the dreaded "Your client does not support opening this list with Windows Explorer."

It's all bullshit. How did they think that no one would ever want a folder in SharePoint moved? Something is very not right. Something this simple shouldn't require hidden commands and/or tweaks.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Entaru wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for the FSRM solution to Cryptolocker.

Got that set up on my new hardware and it feels good.

Speaking of, I have a gift for you all.

Deploying FSRM with crypto file screens via PowerShell.
    *may require running "set-executionpolicy unrestricted", I think if running from a .ps1 file instead of directly in powershell
    save this file to [directory on file server] as cd.txt
    Notification=e
    RunLimitInterval=120
    EventType=Error
    Message=The system detected that user [Source Io Owner] attempted to save Cryptolocker file [Source File Path] on server [Server]. Alert! Crypto!

This will cause detected files to create an event log entry. Other possibilities include running a command, emailing or saving a report and can be seen here. Changing from an event to another response will require changing the character before [directory on file server] below from "e" to the appropriate letter indicated in the technet article.

Then:
    import-module servermanager

add-WindowsFeature -Name FS-Resource-Manager, RSAT-FSRM-Mgmt

c:\windows\system32\filescrn.exe filegroup add /filegroup:CryptoDetect /members:*.vault

c:\windows\system32\filescrn.exe template add /template:CryptoDetectTemplate /type:passive /add-filegroup:CryptoDetect /add-notification:"e,[directory on file server]\cd.txt"

c:\windows\system32\filescrn.exe screen add /path:C:\ /sourcetemplate:cryptodetecttemplate

Repeat the last line for each directory on the file server which ought to be screened, replacing C:\ with the appropriate letter.

The above script just adds a screen for *.vault but you can indicate any files. The list posted previously included these:
    *.cryptotorlocker*
    *.ecc
    *.encrypted
    *.exx
    *.ezz
    *.frtrss
    *.vault
    *want your files back.*
    confirmation.key
    cryptolocker.*
    decrypt_instruct*.*
    enc_files.txt
    help_decrypt*.*
    help_restore*.*
    how to decrypt*.*
    how_to_decrypt*.*
    how_to_recover*.*
    howtodecrypt*.*
    install_tor*.*
    last_chance.txt
    message.txt
    recovery_file.txt
    recovery_key.txt
    vault.hta
    vault.key
    vault.txt

Now to sort out deploying across all our clients via Kaseya, which has less-than-stellar Powershell support.

TL DR on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    uean wrote: »
    Dudes -WebDAV. Once it works, it works. No more SharePoint misery.

Bahahahahahahaha.

Oh wait you were serious, let me laugh even harder...

(WebDAV clients vary wildly and have hilarious incompatibilities)

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Protip: if you're I an environment where you can't set powershell execution policy via group policy, or scripts/commands can't be run as admin, there's an easy work around.
    C:\> powershell.exe -executionpolicy unrestricted -file c:\script.ps1

It'll launch powershell with no restrictions for just that session. Normal user account can do it too.
    The execution policy is more of a safety cover over the switch than a "turn both keys to launch the missiles" thing.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Protip: if you're I an environment where you can't set powershell execution policy via group policy, or scripts/commands can't be run as admin, there's an easy work around.

It'll launch powershell with no restrictions for just that session. Normal user account can do it too.
    The execution policy is more of a safety cover over the switch than a "turn both keys to launch the missiles" thing.

That makes me feel safe and secure.

I probably won't sleep for days now, thanks.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options

It's not supposed to be a security feature.

More just an annoyance feature.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options

It's not supposed to be a security feature.

More just an annoyance feature.

It's security theater.

Just as most computer security is these days.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Execution policy only controls whether you can run an unsigned script, the account running that script would still need rights to do whatever was in the script to accomplish anything. Functionally, it's like removing the .exe off the end of a program name. Of course that assumes your scripts are prompting for credentials or implicitly using the user's creds, not embedding your admin passwords in them.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Any of you other dudes at VMworld this week?

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular

TURN YOUR KEY SIR!

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Weee, pretty significant Telus Cellular outage in Western Canada this morning.

Lots of our smaller sites and mobile people rely on Telus air cards/hotspots/whatever to do their work.

Happy Tuesday!

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I finally finished my cloud systems administration book. The final chapter is all about Operational Assessments, and how to tell how mature your services are in those terms.

It's depressing to see how many of our things are currently 1 (out of 5). But at the same time, concerted effort could raise that to 2-3 over time and make us a better organization... I just need buy-in.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Oh god it begins.

Reading hosting customer complaints and realizing they're talking about how much their service improved when they went from $5 a month shared hosting to a $30 VPS service.

Well duh.

• Options
    Can you kind folks give me some examples of work tables?

Basically I would like a table with room for several 'loaner' laptops/desktops with integrated Cat5 and power so I could hook up at least 10 machines, each with AC and network, and still have some room to take apart a box or swap HDDs etc. A built in KVM would be nice and something two decker would be swell so the thing doesn't take up my entire office. I have some I've found in searches, but none I've ever seen personally or know anyone who has tried them. Mostly I just need to be able to see that each laptop is turned on and at Windows login vs hung up at encryption or something - our workstations will be booted off the domain if they aren't connected in X days.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    http://www.mayline.com/technology-furniture.php?pass=1&direct=TechWorks
    http://www.mayline.com/technology-furniture.php?pass=1&direct=Maytrix

You're probably going to have to do the KVM/wiring yourself.

A couple of surges that are velcroed to the desk should work. Superglue velcro to the back. Then get a switch and mount it to the desk?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    http://www.mayline.com/product-detail.php?id=P1088

Well if that isn't the prettiest damn thing my company can't afford.

edit: I take that back. this is prettier: http://www.mayline.com/product-detail.php?id=P1123

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Yeah the second one was the one I was going to recommend, but I like the first one because of the corkboard stuff.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PowerShell is the SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

Wish I knew it better, though

• Options

I know this is predominantly a windows group but I've been using bash since the 90's.

Just sayin'

• Options
    edited September 2015
    bowen wrote: »

A couple of surges that are velcroed to the desk should work. Superglue velcro to the back. Then get a switch and mount it to the desk?

I can do all of that if needed, just thought I'd ask if there were any solutions with all of that done for me :D

Thanks all :)

Also, holy hell work table set ups are expensive.

Bigity on
  • Options
    Bigity wrote: »

I can do all of that if needed, just thought I'd ask if there were any solutions with all of that done for me :D

If you ever find one let me know!

• Options
    edited September 2015

I know this is predominantly a windows group but I've been using bash since the 90's.

Just sayin'

Powershell makes bash look like batch.

Edit: for scripting anyway... I think they're a tossup as CLIs

Aioua on
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Just sayin'

Powershell makes bash look like batch.

OK. Then I'll load up zsh or tcsh.

Edit: but yeah I agree with your edit. I am only making the tongue in cheek joke that scripting shells have been around forever.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    so last night I got an alert email from a qnap saying that the storage was full. This is a 30TB qnap. But seeing as it was almost 10pm and that qnap was just for backups I figured I'd let future me worry about it and went to bed.

When I got to work to look at it this morning, sure enough, from saturday to sunday over 10TB of data was added to it. it had been sitting at about 97% full and the incremental backup last night finally filled it up, sending the alert. (I have no idea why there isn't like a 90%+ warning, but that's for another time).

I guess what happened was on saturday the backup server started throwing errors. I guess it has done this before and a reboot of it fixes it. so my boss did a reboot, but there was a backup running on exchange and that obviously cancelled it. My boss went into the software and found an already made manual job called exchange backup, so he ran that and called it a day.

so 3 days later when we find that the qnap is full, we looked at the manual job he ran, and for some reason the job named exchange backup..... did a full backup. Of every server.

I just went through and had to delete most of those backups, at least the data eating ones. The exchange backup was only supposed to backup the c: drive, as we have the databases backing up somewhere else, so what is usually a 50GB full backup was 1.5TB, things like that. So much fun. I also took the time to go in and remove some old backups of servers we don't even run anymore and don't need.

Here is the storage graph for the last week for that QNAP:

b6ww6ju5jgna.png

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Bigity wrote: »

If you ever find one let me know!

I'll never get that kind of deal approved - I can just use shelving from Lowe's or something. I'll just move it to the server room or something so my office doesn't have cheap ass wire shelves along the walls heh.

EDIT: Maybe I could swing this - http://www.iogear.com/product/GCS1108KIT2/

Bigity on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Combining Bash and Powershell is awesome and ungodly powerful. I'm so glad Microsoft is embracing SSH.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Combining Bash and Powershell is awesome and ungodly powerful. I'm so glad Microsoft is embracing SSH.

Lack of SSH is the Powershell sorepoint. I can deal with whatever, but the big blob of windows servers which don't give me a remote shell via SSH can go to hell.

Of course none of this is ever going to be upgraded, so really I'm just haranguing people to put cygwin on so I can automate service restarts.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »

Lack of SSH is the Powershell sorepoint. I can deal with whatever, but the big blob of windows servers which don't give me a remote shell via SSH can go to hell.

Of course none of this is ever going to be upgraded, so really I'm just haranguing people to put cygwin on so I can automate service restarts.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powershell/archive/2015/06/03/looking-forward-microsoft-support-for-secure-shell-ssh.aspx

Powershell's designed to be extensible and upgradable independent of the OS. As soon as this goes live I'm going to be hammering the hell out of it for compatibility tests.

• Options
    Mmm that's sexy.

• Options
    *sigh* I'm behind. I pretty much have never used SSH.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular

I use it when directions tell me to.

To me, it's pretty much fancy telnet that can also run some extra shit, cause I never use it for much else. The thing I always forget about it is any network service can be tunneled through SSH. VNC isn't too secure? Tunnel VNC through SSH and now it's secure as shit.

• Options
    Have you used telnet? Or really even just the command line? That's pretty much all it is, just more secure. But then you can do neat stuff like tunnel traffic over it or run one-off commands remotely.

• Options
    Cog wrote: »

I use it when directions tell me to.

To me, it's pretty much fancy telnet that can also run some extra shit, cause I never use it for much else. The thing I always forget about it is any network service can be tunneled through SSH. VNC isn't too secure? Tunnel VNC through SSH and now it's secure as shit.

Less overhead and sometimes more speed with SSH too.

It's not quite the same layer technology that VPNs can do, and you don't get quite as much power as a VPN... but SSH tunneling is really fucking great.

I built a special program to launch some of our apps on local machines at home. They plug in the USB, launch the app, it connects to our ActiveDirectory to authenticate them, if they succeed, it opens another SSH tunnel for the applications and launches it.

So handy, much easier to use than a VPN too for some reason. Closest VPN client that does this that I've seen is the cisco one.

• Options
    I've used telnet a bit. I can usually command prompt like a champ; been doing that since pre-Windows anyways, but I use it on a daily basis for shit like rebooting remote machine through switches and such.

• Options
    Well just look at Putty. It has a radio button for telnetting to something. Click the SSH button and connect to the same thing and now you're SSH'd to it instead. If you can telnet, you can SSH. You can point any network service to the thing on the other side, and it should use your SSH tunnel. Magic.

putty-hammer.png

Of course, here I am talking a big game about it, but I hardly ever use the goddamn protocol. And well, also the device on the other end has to accept SSH. ESX hosts, for example, can accept it, but they have to be told to turn that option on, and they get shitty about it and pretend they're "in alarm" or some other bullshit hysterics.

• Options
    So, now I have to write the detailed change control for upgrading us from vmWare/ESXi 5.1 to 6.0, and I understand that when they moved to 6.0 they pretty much changed everything from the ground up. So this is gonna be shitty.

• Options
    No one uses telnet anymore because it's unencrypted and that's a great way to get your server hacked into.

This discussion has been closed.