As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[sysadmin] sexy.code = new.underpants.required

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    So, now I have to write the detailed change control for upgrading us from vmWare/ESXi 5.1 to 6.0, and I understand that when they moved to 6.0 they pretty much changed everything from the ground up. So this is gonna be shitty.
    Huh, I'm not sure what you're referring to specifically, but I don't think there's a lot to it, other than the order (VC before ESXi and so forth). I literally just sat through a session at VMworld about upgrading from 5.x to 6.0 and nothing stood out to me unless you're worried about moving from the Windows based VC to the VCSA, or using the Web Client vs. the the installed client. I guess there is some stuff about the SSO and the linking of two VCs, but it didn't seem bad to me.

I will say you should probably wait until the end of the month for 6.0 U1, as they have been talking about a lot of enhancements/bug fixes all conference.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    So, now I have to write the detailed change control for upgrading us from vmWare/ESXi 5.1 to 6.0, and I understand that when they moved to 6.0 they pretty much changed everything from the ground up. So this is gonna be shitty.
    Huh, I'm not sure what you're referring to specifically, but I don't think there's a lot to it, other than the order (VC before ESXi and so forth). I literally just sat through a session at VMworld about upgrading from 5.x to 6.0 and nothing stood out to me unless you're worried about moving from the Windows based VC to the VCSA, or using the Web Client vs. the the installed client. I guess there is some stuff about the SSO and the linking of two VCs, but it didn't seem bad to me.

I will say you should probably wait until the end of the month for 6.0 U1, as they have been talking about a lot of enhancements/bug fixes all conference.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    bowen wrote: »
    No one uses telnet anymore because it's unencrypted and that's a great way to get your server hacked into.

Fun fact: pretty much every Exchange server everywhere, and in fact most email servers, gladly accept telnet connections on port 25.

Open a command prompt.
    Type
    nslookup

Type
    set type=mx

Type the domain of the email server you want to find
    gop.com

Oh look:
    gop.com MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = barracuda1.smartechcorp.net

barracuda1.smartechcorp.net     internet address = 64.203.96.181

Fire up putty, telnet to 64.203.96.181 on port 25...
    220 barracuda1.smartechcorp.net ESMTP (94f6d8ef29769d69be3b252382347ec9)

Sup, GOP mail server.
    helo me
    250 barracuda1.smartechcorp.net Hello me [xx.xx.xx.xxx], pleased to meet you

I'm sure you are.
    mail from:hillary@clintonemails.com
    553 Requested action not taken: mailbox name not allowed

Awwwwwww.....

Anyhow, you can generate emails from other peoples mail servers with telnet. Security!

Cog on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I use telnet all the time.

As a client.

To see if things respond on that port, and tell people they're really fucking wrong about their NAT rules.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah that's because it's a protocol of plain text bytes and new lines. Which is exactly what telnet is.

Telnet is a great diagnostic tool for a lot of those old protocols.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    And that is why any Exchange admin worth their salt would block port 25... Of course, few do, but hey. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options

This is damn good news and will probably delay my project anyway, so that right there is doing me a solid.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Speaking of VMWorld.. jealous of those there.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I use telnet all the time.

As a client.

To see if things respond on that port, and tell people they're really fucking wrong about their NAT rules.

I had to do this once!

They said their firewall was configured and the issue was on my end.

I had to do a proof of concept on screen sharing to show how I could reproduce it on two independent networks before the hospital IT staff would even bother admitting they were wrong.

Funny how as soon as I did that with the head IT guy at the hospital, shit got fixed in a few hours. Turns out whatever device they were using did not have enough licenses (lol wtf?) for all the configuration rules they were using.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

This is damn good news and will probably delay my project anyway, so that right there is doing me a solid.
    They keep saying "we don't have an exact date, but it will be out by the end of Q3," which would be 9/30.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »

I've been. It's fun but honestly overrated.

• Options

I've been. It's fun but honestly overrated.
    It is, but it's the best of the big-huge conferences I've been to. VMware speaks to both the big guys and the little shops like where I work. EMC always seems to shoot at the high end only. Like at EMCworld, when they ask "okay, who in here is one of the storage admins vs VMware admins vs backup admins?" I'm basically the only one with my hand up for all three there. At VMworld, there are still those people, but I feel more included or whatever. The general sessions, though, lawd, it's cloud-this and mobile app-that, and I'm just like "yo, what features are you pushing down into the cheaper Essentials/Standard licenses for the next version?"

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Oh yeah if I had to pick a big ass tech nerd conference thing to go to, it would totally be VMWorld. The last one I went to was in San Fran and I got taken to a luxury box at a Giants game and went to the INXS show and drank like a fish without ever paying a penny and ate like a sultan and it was pretty fucking choice.

But when you get down to it you're still spending 6-10 hour days sitting in conference rooms or lecture halls hearing some pretty dry shit. (Also was hungover, I slept through some of them)

And admission/seating for all the highest demand topics was a total fucking shitshow.

And you can get a mountain of swag on the vendor floor but you have to completely whore yourself out for it and prepare for about a year and a half of sales and marketing calls and emails. In fact, just change your fucking email address and phone number when you get back.

Cog on
  • Options
    Oh yeah if I had to pick a big ass tech nerd conference thing to go to, it would totally be VMWorld. The last one I went to was in San Fran and I got taken to a luxury box at a Giants game and went to the INXS show and drank like a fish without ever paying a penny and ate like a sultan and it was pretty fucking choice.

But when you get down to it you're still spending 6-10 hour days sitting in conference rooms or lecture halls hearing some pretty dry shit. (Also was hungover, I slept through some of them)

And admission/seating for all the highest demand topics was a total fucking shitshow.

And you can get a mountain of swag on the vendor floor but you have to completely whore yourself out for it and prepare for about a year and a half of sales and marketing calls and emails. In fact, just change your fucking email address and phone number when you get back.

Another perk of being at a government job: Thanks to Chicago's corruption, I can't accept any vendor swag! Or if I do, I have to donate its value or something to be ethical.

• Options
    It's not just government jerbs, most places have rules limiting approximate max value.

But if it was at VMWare, I'd just take all the tshirts and blow they could throw your way and challenge them to prove it.

• Options
    Man, all of this sales huckster BS in the exhibition hall... Man!

• Options
    In fact, just change your fucking email address and phone number when you get back.

• Options
    My CAB request for Windows patches just got declined because the advisory board was too worried about the impact.

Windows patches.

• Options
    My CAB request for Windows patches just got declined because the advisory board was too worried about the impact.

Windows patches.

Our CAB was dissolved. Which has surprisingly made it harder to make changes.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

when I was going to more conferences I would actually give myself a throwaway email address in exchange just so I could remove it after and have all of the marketing crap go into the abyss.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options

Windows patches.

Does not compute.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

when I was going to more conferences I would actually give myself a throwaway email address in exchange just so I could remove it after and have all of the marketing crap go into the abyss.

And use your boss's phone number to register.

• Options

Windows patches.

Does not compute.

I've learned in this job that government bureaucracy and red tape is born out of the best of intentions combined with silos and no one talking to each other. Add in personalities that believe it's their way or the highway and no accountability, and.. well.. yeah.

• Options
    Oh right, government job. Nevermind.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

And use your boss's phone number to register.

What is this "phone" thing you speak of? Is that the part of my mobile device that I never use that wants me to talk to people?

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Bank I used to work for used some software that was heavily reliant upon certain versions of ActiveX, Java, and .Net Framework. Well, they still do. Anyways, this software provider had us by the balls the entire time, and I hated that environment. We never, ever, installed patches on our Windows servers, because every time we did, it broke the fuck out of all their software, we'd have to spend hours rolling back individual updates to single out the issue, and then we'd give them the information, which they summarily ignored and would send us a platitude about not installing patches willy nilly, and only do service packs.

It was a neverending battle that pit us directly between IT auditors and our major software vendor. And because the company liked the software vendor so much, we were stuck doing their bidding every fucking time. They just kept buying more and more of their shit, and I kept making it actually work (which the software vendor was continually surprised at, which should have been a warning sign for someone). This eventually came to a head, which ended up being mine, when they spent a shit-ton on something that was never going to work, had never worked for any of their other customers, and then when I finally made it work, it required a major security patch to be uninstalled. I complained about this to upper management, and I said we'd get throat-punched at the next Fed audit. We got throat-punched at the next Fed audit, and they fired me.

Upon reflection, this probably has a lot to do with why I work with OSS almost exclusively, today. Probably just an unconscious defense mechanism nowadays.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Don't...

Don't use fabrikam as a subdomain, even as a joke.

Fucking people do you not know what example domain/company names are for?

You're not supposed to use them.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    Don't...

Don't use fabrikam as a subdomain, even as a joke.

Fucking people do you not know what example domain/company names are for?

You're not supposed to use them.

What... I shouldn't put all my data into Northwind?

• Options
    So all these years of me just following Microsoft guides by putting Contoso in has been wrong?

• Options
    Yeah, I mean, who would name their domains OracleDomain or use the example passwords for Java?

... everyone, or else Oracle's shit breaks? Well.. fuck.

• Options
    So much shit out there still has default passwords on it. It's breathtaking.

• Options
    So much shit out there still has default passwords on it. It's breathtaking.

Stupid tax.

On the plus side, those systems become a focus for a lot of attacks because of it, which takes some burden off our systems.

• Options
    Uh.. yeah. Yeah, totally takes the burden off our systems. Which absolutely do not have any default passwords. Anywhere. Nope. Not our systems.

• Options
    hey password1234567890 is more secure than password

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Hell I'm curently worred about my NAS because I had to give an admin password to the support guys so they could remote in and fix it.

It's not even on right now.

I don't know how people can leave things as default without laying awake at night.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    There's just too much shit here I don't have the authority to change even though I know it's got a default/fucking stupid password.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Look, no one will ever guess 1234.

Its the combination to my luggage.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Well thank god, if it was 12345 you'd be an idiot.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Well thank god, if it was 12345 you'd be an idiot.

That's the genius of it. Everyone uses 12345.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    What I find odd is that when service techs come in to work on our MFPs, they seem annoyed that I changed the default password. That's just with MFPs, so why the hell would I let more important equipment keep the default passwords?

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
This discussion has been closed.