As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[sysadmin] sexy.code = new.underpants.required

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    holy fuck, I didn't realize how big that picture was... my bad. Spoiled for size
    xv95a1aq9gdc.jpg

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Just to point out how light-weight Windows 10 is in comparison to 8:

Windows 8 had a floppy install as well, and it was 3,711 disks.

2,079 is a breath of fresh air for a floppy installer.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Who the fuck would even install it as a floppy? Why is that even a thing past 1995?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Who the fuck would even install it as a floppy? Why is that even a thing past 1995?

I assumed it was a joke

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Yes, definitely a joke. Also a joke with irony because Winodws 10 actually finally dropped native drivers for floppy drives. You can still use them if for some reason you needed to but you need to install drivers separately.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I can never tell jokes anymore since I've worked in IT for 10 years.

What you immediately would think of as a joke is 100% serious for someone.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Aw man, I was really enjoying the idea that people were still doing floppy installs.

• Options

I've learned it's better to look dumb for not getting a joke than to assume something is a joke and have someone get offended because you aren't taking them seriously.

• Options
    Le_Goat wrote: »

I've learned it's better to look dumb for not getting a joke than to assume something is a joke and have someone get offended because you aren't taking them seriously.

Peter Ian Staker?

PISSTAKER?!

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    2079? Is that the number of disks or the year it will be by the time you finally finish installing it?

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    2079? Is that the number of disks or the year it will be by the time you finally finish installing it?

Can't it be both?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Man... one of our 3 web development guys, who are our java gurus, put in his 2 weeks today. He's someone who critically helped me with development of pieces for Oracle's stuff, and maintains some of our arcane interactions for budgeting.

This is gonna SUCK. Even more than losing all our other folks.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    So the massive outages accross multiple carries- what the f is going on?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Aliens.

Also what major outages?

• Options

Aliens.

Also what major outages?

https://downdetector.com/archive/

https://downdetector.com/status/att/map/

take your pick. Thats just att

Comcast time warner all same..... giant outages everywheres.....

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    probably a CDN or something like that having an outage.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for the FSRM solution to Cryptolocker.

Got that set up on my new hardware and it feels good.

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular

Aliens.

Also what major outages?

there appear to be some major issues with Level3/TimeWarner going on today. seeing lots of complaints from various sources...

• Options
    twmjr wrote: »

Aliens.

Also what major outages?

there appear to be some major issues with Level3/TimeWarner going on today. seeing lots of complaints from various sources...

Add in comcast and ATT. Its nuts,,,,

• Options
    Got your bug out bag ready?

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    Got your bug out bag ready?

LOL... my boss is same boat.

this is something big? stock market drop by 4000? China attacking?

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    a whole load of traffic rides over l3...if they're having a major problem (and their twitter feed says the problem is impacting "North American Customers"), a lot of what you're seeing could be related to whatever they've got going on.

• Options
    It's just Level 3 being Level 3.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Perhaps by some miracle, we are having no issues today.

• Options
    clearing up now....

• Options
    No issues here, but it's because I run just such a high quality and pristine network that doesn't use level 3 or time warner for upstream.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    I'm about to punch my screen. Does anyone have any good solutions to moving folders in SharePoint 2013? Everything says to use Explorer View, but it keeps saying that my client does not support that view. I've worked with multiple workarounds that people swear work but none do. This is totally insane that there isn't a simple way to do this.

EDIT: *sigh* I'm not 100% on this, but apparently the Explorer View is not compatible with IE 10+. I had to jump onto a server with IE9 in order to do this. There has to be something else going on, because that's just fucking stupid.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Hah! Wonderful thing to happen the week our cloud-based ticketing system goes live... wonderful timing.

Edit: LE_Goat, can you path to your Sharepoint spaces using Windows Explorer? That's what I typically do, though I have heard nothing but bad about folders.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I'm about to punch my screen. Does anyone have any good solutions to moving folders in SharePoint 2013? Everything says to use Explorer View, but it keeps saying that my client does not support that view. I've worked with multiple workarounds that people swear work but none do. This is totally insane that there isn't a simple way to do this.

EDIT: *sigh* I'm not 100% on this, but apparently the Explorer View is not compatible with IE 10+. I had to jump onto a server with IE9 in order to do this. There has to be something else going on, because that's just fucking stupid.

can you not just run IE10 in compatibility mode?

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    SharePoint is a nightmare

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    SharePoint is a nightmare

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Do any of you have the misfortune of remembering Lotus Notes?

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    I, uh, am still a Lotus Notes admin.

It's totally fine now, seriously.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    GUYS. This is awesome.
    11889404_1720440441520908_1589015468752537431_n.jpg

Bigity on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Do any of you have the misfortune of remembering Lotus Notes?

I don't administer it but I come into contact with it on the reg

I do not like

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

I believe you, but my only serious interactions with it were back in 2005. A very large commercial roofing company was using it in ways I am 100% sure it should not have been used in. They had an incredibly complex auditing app implemented entirely in notes and were having problems with it. The pinkish-peachish color they chose for the background of that app still makes me want to drive icepicks through someone's knees.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

I believe you, but my only serious interactions with it were back in 2005. A very large commercial roofing company was using it in ways I am 100% sure it should not have been used in. They had an incredibly complex auditing app implemented entirely in notes and were having problems with it. The pinkish-peachish color they chose for the background of that app still makes me want to drive icepicks through someone's knees.
    Yeah, I started here in 2005, and took over Notes admin in 2007. I initially thought like everyone else did, but I would much rather be administering this than two clusters for Exchange and Sharepoint. It takes up a very small amount of my time, and since user mail DBs are totally segregated from each other, the worst that happens is on user's mail file getting corrupt. My largest user mail file is around 22GB, with no corruption or slowdown issues.

The thing about Notes (well, Domino) is that it is a DB platform first and an email platform second. The reason you see a lot of bad design in DBs is that it is easy to design a DB; you basically create a form and it creates the DB schema for you. This leads to people designing a DB who have no business programming. I have had to redesign a few DBs that the previous admin had created. For someone like me (with a programming background) it is really easy to create something pretty advanced quickly. My most recent DB checks our personnel system daily and creates me all of the files I need in order to create a user in Notes and in AD, and emails the appropriate people that need to know about the new user. It took a 30-40 minute process down to about 3 minutes. Pretty proud of that one.

We had a migration in the budget recently at like 3 years out that we kept pushing back, but out Treasurer told us to cancel it, since we're too short-staffed to actually do it. I'm looking at migrating to some sort of hosted thing just a bit further out in case our parent company tries to force it.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    wunderbar wrote: »

It doesn't work in IE10 either. That's how shitty the whole thing is. From what I've found, you have to use IE9 or earlier. Thank the gods I have some 2008 servers left; 2008 R2 uses IE11 while the first 2008 can only use IE9.

EDIT: I just re-read what you wrote. We don't have a single system with IE10 installed. It's IE 11 for Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 or IE9 for Server 2008. We opted to push out the latest version because I believe early next year is when MS is going to force all copies of Windows to only have the latest version of IE for their OS. Starting early and forcing compatibility changes earlier this year made more sense than a mad dash when we had to.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

It doesn't work in IE10 either. That's how shitty the whole thing is. From what I've found, you have to use IE9 or earlier. Thank the gods I have some 2008 servers left; 2008 R2 uses IE11 while the first 2008 can only use IE9.

EDIT: I just re-read what you wrote. We don't have a single system with IE10 installed. It's IE 11 for Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 or IE9 for Server 2008. We opted to push out the latest version because I believe early next year is when MS is going to force all copies of Windows to only have the latest version of IE for their OS. Starting early and forcing compatibility changes earlier this year made more sense than a mad dash when we had to.

IE 11 still hast he compatibility settings. http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-enable-compatibility-view-in-internet-explorer-11-ie11/

• Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    Dudes -WebDAV. Once it works, it works. No more SharePoint misery.

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
This discussion has been closed.