Options

Wet Hot American [TV] Thread

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I'm getting into watching old TV

Tales of Tomorrow was great. Pretty cool seeing a scifi anthology barely predating Twilight Zone, pretty cool seeing super young Paul Newman in his first TV/film role

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    as far as old tv goes i'm a big big fan of All in the Family

it's kind of crazy how many social issues that goofy sitcom was willing to address head on

also kind of depressing how many of the episodes haven't become any less relevant in the past fifty-some years

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Master of None is the best Netflix show they've ever done and it's not even close.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Limitless just did a Ferris Bueller cold opening.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    It's not that old, but I adore Cheers.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The whole episode ended up being Ferris Bueller themed.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    It's not that old, but I adore Cheers.

I did a rewatch of cheers a bit ago, and ya, that show tackled topics better than the entire decade of shows after, hell if anything they took steps back from the level Cheers managed to reach.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    gonna throw out a controversial statement right now and say that cheers is the best sitcom of all time

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    gonna throw out a controversial statement right now and say that cheers is the best sitcom of all time

I don't know if I can say "of all time" but I can say that it is truly fuck awesome, and spawned a great spin off, which is a rare thing indeed.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Cheers has an episode where Carla tells an admitted Sex addict to essentially rape his boss under the guise of a dream.

Not really keen on a lot of cheers after watching it.

Fraiser is still good

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Everyone go watch Master of None right now

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm playing star wars leave me alone

• Options
    edited November 2015
    will i like master of none if i don't care for aziz ansari and don't give a shit about another show about actor problems?

this is not meant to be confrontational, i legit wanna know if i should give it a shot knowing these things

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    edited November 2015
    It is not at all a show about actor problems

edit: but if you are on the fence I would maybe not start with the first episode as it's by far the most traditional and weakest of the 10. (It's a lot like Louie in that most of the episodes are entirely stand alone)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote: »
    It is not at all a show about actor problems

well then i'll give it a shot maybe

after i watch digging for fire

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    AMC released a full fight scene from Into the Badlands and I can dig it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=310RluewPj8

Is this show the same basic premise of Bunraku? Because it sounds like it on paper

• Options
    Mimi Rogers was on Ash vs Evil Dead tonight!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Mimi Rogers was on Ash vs Evil Dead tonight!

I read this as Mr.Rogers as first and was thoroughly confused for a myriad of reasons . ( also sad, because I miss Mr. Rogers)

WiseManTobes on
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    Steven Universe episode 58
    That surprise new opening got me SO HYPE

Please tell me Connie is going to be a more prominent character now

Connie is the best character and Garnet and Pearl are in a dead tie for best gem

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    This is an acceptable stance

I would also accept Greg as best human

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Also you should look up the extended season 2 opening because it is wonderful

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    Catching up on B99...

Bingpot!

• Options
    DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    For what it's worth I don't much like Aziz usually, but he's a bit different in Master of None and it's much more low-key than you might expect

• Options
    That second episode of Master of none really hits home if your Dad is an immigrant. Especially the computer stuff

• Options
    I really love Limitless.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    My biggest complaint of Master of None is that it is not really a lot of super perky and excited Aziz.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I'll be honest the weird After school special vibe that sneaks in at times is odd.

Like the show will just stop and deliver a handy fact or query in very hamfisted unnatural dialogue then it'll go back to being a lowkey thing that's mildly amusing.

Maybe they toned it down after Harris died I don't know but it feels of somehow. Not bad just off

King Riptor on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    This SNL is kinda hard to watch, yeah. They do make Trump the butt of virtually every joke and have Larry David outright call him a racist to his face in the opening bit, but it all seems to perpetuate the idea that he's a hilarious joke instead of the actual danger he represents.

It's also hard to shake the feeling that the entire cast hates him and smile through gritted teeth just to make it through the show 'cause it's their job.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    This SNL is kinda hard to watch, yeah. They do make Trump the butt of virtually every joke and have Larry David outright call him a racist to his face in the opening bit, but it all seems to perpetuate the idea that he's a hilarious joke instead of the actual danger he represents.

It's also hard to shake the feeling that the entire cast hates him and smile through gritted teeth just to make it through the show 'cause it's their job.

The Larry David thing is weird, cause it's the show making a joke out of protestors offering a $5000 bounty on audience members disrupting the show by calling him a racist

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I mean, it's an effective way of disarming hecklers right there too.

Also the audience seems way less enthusiastic than usual. I'm pretty sure they're dubbing in extra cheers and stuff.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I don't think I ever thought I'd be seeing ONE sex scene with Aziz Ansari, and now I have seen SEVERAL

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I don't think I ever thought I'd be seeing ONE sex scene with Aziz Ansari, and now I have seen SEVERAL

I can just picture him trying to straight face in the writer's meeting " I think there needs to be another scene where I make out with Claire Danes"

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Mr. G wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »

The Larry David thing is weird, cause it's the show making a joke out of protestors offering a $5000 bounty on audience members disrupting the show by calling him a racist
    This is good for him because it shows that he's actually not a racist, because he's secure enough to make jokes like this.

my head melted a little bit after that one

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Speed, as always your dad is a terrifying glimpse into the true heart of America.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Weird how Noel Wells on Master of None is like, the 15th example of a woman who had nothing to do on SNL but pretty much immediately shows they're great after they're off the show

Almost like there's some sort of pattern there or something

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    That's not in the least bit surprising.

sig.gif
  • Options
    There is a very large segment of this country that has been driven further and further right over the past couple decades

Donald Trump and Ben Carson are polling so well because they're the candidates the right has wanted for years but they haven't gotten

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    going to guess that rating on SNL isn't from conservatives

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I'm sure everyone wanted to see the Tire Fire, so they tuned in.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.