As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mortal Kombat - IT HAS BEGUN!

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Mortal kombst is going to be a card game (again), this time as part of UFS. I was aware of but have never played it. Supposedly there is a board game as well?

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    UFS, from my understanding, is basically Mugen in card form (SNK properties, Street Fighter characters, I think even the PA guys got decks as well, in addition to the core cast).

If it's the same thing I'm thinking of anyway.

The board game version gives you some tokens to help keep track of things and a way to gauge distance between characters visually (giving you little standees and a line on the board that is divided into sections).

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    there were some pictures i saw earlier that actually had figurines for the board game. i recall seeing goro but not much else.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm surprised UFS is still around. It launched around 2007 under Sabertooth Publishing, owned by games workshop, and it went bust before being sold to Fantasy Flight Games. I knew the guys making it, they really wanted mortal kombat around launch but couldn't get the rights.

I bought into it, I even had the PA decks, but that was seriously like a decade ago.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2015
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I'm surprised UFS is still around. It launched around 2007 under Sabertooth Publishing, owned by games workshop, and it went bust before being sold to Fantasy Flight Games. I knew the guys making it, they really wanted mortal kombat around launch but couldn't get the rights.

I bought into it, I even had the PA decks, but that was seriously like a decade ago.

I have the PA decks in my game box, along with a couple of the Street Fighter decks. I played with a Baraka deck at a demo at Wizard World, but never realized the Mortal Kombat decks never got a retail release.

Edit: The Mortal Kombat kards I played with were from Epic Battles, not UFS. Just dug them out. I've got decks for Ken and Sub-Zero, plus a bunch of random UFS Street Fighter cards that MIGHT be a deck? I seem to have misplaced the box, but still have the instructions.

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    is the game sound? i could see myself picking up some stuff just for fun since i highly doubt there is any chance of finding a following locally for it and i doubt even more the existence of a legitemate online client

• Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    is the game sound? i could see myself picking up some stuff just for fun since i highly doubt there is any chance of finding a following locally for it and i doubt even more the existence of a legitemate online client
    This was a LONG time ago, I just happen to be a pack rat. The Epic Battles game plays pretty solidly, using combos, blocks, chip damage, etc. I know nothing of this new MK board/card game.

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    I know I am pretty late to the party but I just finished the story mode. It was a fun diversion, though I was it was a little longer and I was some characters had a little more to do. I am also disappointed that Kenshi never gets a chapter.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Kombat Pack 2 details announced.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScCyUC00UjI

Leatherface, Tri-borg as he's apparently called, Bo Rai Cho, and a Xenomorph/Tarkatan hybrid.

Having kind of a hard time giving a fuck about this one.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    it looks cool and I like the idea of the tarkatan xenomorph, tri-borg is a neat way to include the cyborgs, but kind of wish theyd do more in-universe characters with these things, so leatherface is a big waste for me.

I also prefer like a big expansion with a story mode honestly

Prohass on
  • Options
    The Tarkatan Xenomorph is a good way to implement it too, since a normal one would be problematic. Tri-borg is cool, though I hate the name and was kind of hoping it was just straight up Smoke or Sektor story-wise (unless it is just straight up the three of them and tri-borg is just a simple way to refer to the compound character). Bo Rai Cho I have never particularly cared about.

Leatherface is probably the biggest downer to me since he looks dumb and out of place and is yet another guest character. I definitely wish they would have done more story mode with some new characters to go along with that.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    like id love an hour long mini story to go along with each character pack, introducing them all and giving them some context. And while xenomorphs and predators I can handle, leatherface is just a bit much. We already have one slasher-film character in the roster, we dont need two.

They should just make a separate game with an all horror-legends roster and keep mortal kombat mortal kombat. There are so many rad characters from the universe that id love to see, and new ones, since I loved all of X's new guys, it seems less "fun" now, and more a waste of a slot.

Prohass on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Smoke is a demon, not a cyborg.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    Kombat Pack 2 details announced.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScCyUC00UjI

Leatherface, Tri-borg as he's apparently called, Bo Rai Cho, and a Xenomorph/Tarkatan hybrid.

Having kind of a hard time giving a fuck about this one.

There is at least one Dood who is hyped as fuck for it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KUeHUZs3sQ

• Options
    Well, he's super excited for Tri-Borg and Xenomorph (who I do believe are cool choices, I just can't get over how bad Tri-Borg is as a name). Could not seem to give less of a fuck about Leatherface and Bo. So think he's about where I am. Really though, this is also the general response I've seen elsewhere. Leatherface seems like such a boring nothing choice for a character, and Bo Rai Cho is... okay at best.

Like... I really hope they have some good ideas for Bo, as I can't seem to make myself excited for him. I will probably pick up Tri-Borg and Xenomorph, but they will have to sell me super hard to get the full pack.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Never, ever gave a fuck about Leatherface. Was hoping they'd get Freddy Kruger in there again, but not a big deal.

Bo Rai Cho is terrible, no fucks given here either.

Xenomorph? Awesome. I'm sold right there. MKX is getting a little Alien vs Predator action there.

Tri-Borg... terrible name, great concept. MKX was seriously lacking in the cyborg ninja department. My guess is that it's actually Cyrax, but he's assimilated Sektor & Smoke's non-organic gear.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    I wish Netherrealm would just make a monster movie fighting game already

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I like to see the return of the Cyber Ninja(s?). I wonder if they're going to be different stances (or styles? I don't know what they're called) of the character, or if it'll be able to shift between forms in a match like Shang Tsung used to do.

Baraka Alien? That's almost enough to make me want the game.

Leatherface though... I don't know, if ever there was a slasher monster that didn't belong in a game, it's Leatherface.
    I think I'd rather see The Tall Man from Phantasm in the game. Could have lots of fun with those little death balls or his dwarf zombies. Maybe Pinhead from Hellraiser. But, I imagine every one of us has a "I'd rather see ..." for damned near every character in the game.

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    I don't really care about any of those reveal characters. That said, if they give Bo Rai Cho a drunken fist fighting style, I'll pick him up.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    The baraka/xeno thing is interesting. Wonder if it will actually be baraka just reskinned or whether the arm blades were for the trailer

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    It's their way of getting the Baraka move set in the game while also adding something new and interesting to it.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I am personally LOVING the horror invasion in to MKX. I'd kill for an entire game of horror icons.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I am personally LOVING the horror invasion in to MKX. I'd kill for an entire game of horror icons.

TERRORDROME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS4e5z4AmNY

THE MOST ILLEGAL FIGHTING GAME IN THE WORLD

well, it would be if they charged money for it.

Deans on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm a little surprised they went with Bo Rai Cho and not, say, Fujin. I suppose they just wanted to have a way to fart someone to death again. Can't get enough of that!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    No Frost, no Skarlet, no Sareena, no interest from me.

Guess I will have to wait for the next pack.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    I'm a little surprised they went with Bo Rai Cho and not, say, Fujin. I suppose they just wanted to have a way to fart someone to death again. Can't get enough of that!

You're not the only one. Bo Rai Cho is confusing a lot of people. He isn't a fan favorite and was basically a non-factor in story mode. He's a very out of left field selection. In MK9's kombat pack, they went with two fan favorites and a new character. In the previous kombat pack, they went with one heavily requested fan character and one fairly popular character that also had an important bit in the story. Here they compounded three popular characters into a single character, then tossed in Bo Rai Cho.

• Options
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    No Frost, no Skarlet, no Sareena, no interest from me.

Guess I will have to wait for the next pack.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there won't be another pack after this one. If we are lucky we will get some DLC stages maybe, and more costumes.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I want to reinstall this on PC, but I figure it still won't work properly.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    I'm ok with Bo Rai Cho but Tri-borg is really confusing to me. No on asked for that and I think people would have been happier playing as the 3 characters separately.

• Options
    I mean, I would assume the 3 cyborgs will be the 3 different stances. Not 3 characters playing at once/switching out.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Kombat pack 2 gameplay video came out and apparently there is going to be a big shift to GGPO for the bet code. Makes me want to jump back in to MKX since I have been away for a while

• Options
    What is GGPO and bet code?

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    "Net Code" and this describes the changes better than I could:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/15/10776282/mortal-kombat-x-network-code-ggpo

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Hmm, just noticed that they are doing new guys, I'm a bit weirded out that rain never made it in. Also it seems weird to do jason and leatherface but no Freddy this time around.

• Options
    Yeah I meant to type net code and typo'd.

I think Freddie is riding the pine this time around because the new guys haven't gotten an opportunity yet.

• Options
    Boon said they weren't going to do any characters that were already DLC for a previous game. So Rain and Freddy are out.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    They should just secure the license for all horror icons and go full on Terrordome with MKX...or its own stand alone game.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I can't wait until Death from the Final Destination films is DLC.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    I can't wait until Death from the Final Destination films is DLC.

The Outworld execution platform stage would be unstoppable. Just so many things in that stage that could break, fall, etc to ruin your fighters day.

• Options
    I'm a little surprised there's no Injustice 2 to tie in with Sups v Bats.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg