Options

Cooker? I barely know her! [Cooking Thread]

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Lunch/Dinner last night. From ocean to table.

IMG_2246_zpsrgpxuvwp.jpg
    25F4C106-ECF9-4BC7-A960-FDE05FC2ACD5_zpsf9iuyqmr.jpg
    8A573371-357A-40F8-B41E-657C80DA9A56_zps1m5cty4s.jpg
    D321BE84-2FA1-46A0-9976-EB31044D5295_zps11xrqgxv.jpg

1 pound of sushi grade tuna, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
    1 teaspoon of soy sauce, low sodium is ok
    1 teaspoon of sesame oil
    2 tablespoons of canola oil
    2 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon of toasted sesame seeds
    1/4 teaspoon of chili flakes
    2 each green onions, thin slices
    1/4 of sweet onions, thinly sliced
    1/4 teaspoon or so of hawaiian red clay salt or to taste
    1 tablespoon of fresh ogo

Fresh tuna is soooooooooo good.

• Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    @VishNub The Local girl in me says your poke is too complicated, but the foodie in me still thinks it looks like a good recipe. And that Ahi looks amazing, nice catch!

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Dorado (mahi-mahi) ceviche coming up tonight, the last of the never-frozen fish.

I had to freeze most of the catch, but even if you defrost it right it's never as good as the really fresh stuff that's never been frozen.

• Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    Dorado (mahi-mahi) ceviche coming up tonight, the last of the never-frozen fish.

I had to freeze most of the catch, but even if you defrost it right it's never as good as the really fresh stuff that's never been frozen.

I'm an avid fisherman. Years ago, when I lived in Orange County, CA, I had a client just a few minutes from me that was a meat packing/fish processing plant, with a deep-freeze freezer (-40C/F).

I had a nice trip out to Catalina one day, and had far too many fillets than I could eat without freezing and, as you say, home freezers really ruin fish.

So I vacuum packed them and took them down to my client and asked if I could put them in their deep freeze for a few days. Went 7 days at -40, which a) killed any parasites and b) when defrosted were still firm and delicious.

I did this a few times before I went to pick up some fish and couldn't find it. The plant manager called me the next day, and said it'd been moved and I went and picked it up.

Now, they were a client of mine because I wrote some software interfacing their inventory control software for controlling shelf management, so I wrote a new mode in the software that would print a 'FOR PERSONAL USE... DO NOT MOVE OR SHIP' tag. It prompted for a name and a description of the items, along with time and date.

I hid the function in the regular software, but the existence of it became common knowledge among the employees and I started seeing more and more of these tags for the employees and such. We ended up having to designate a special shelf area (under some computers, so not usable for regular stuff since it was 'close to a heat source'... it stayed -41 there anyhow, so it was fine for personal use).

After about a year of this, I got a call from the company owner, and had to show him what I'd added (without his asking for it), where we were storing the fish, etc etc.

He told me make it a regular feature of the software, and made some changes to how it worked based on his input, but after that I started seeing stuff from the owner, and the owner's family, and that shelf space stayed pretty busy.

Fast foward a year or two, and I'm in a sales meeting with another meat packing/fish processing plant to pretty much do the same thing, and they mentioned how they sometimes process fish in the deep freezer for employees and such. I explained what I'd done for the other client and they were all 'Oh, yeah, that's perfect!'. I would have made that sale anyhow, but it indicates that any place with a deep freezer gets that kind of thing often.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Baked Huevos Rancheros

INGREDIENTS

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    1/2 small green bell pepper, finely diced
    1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    One 15-ounce can tomato sauce
    1/4 cup water
    3 cups tortilla chips
    8 large eggs
    3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Preheat the oven to 400*. Cook onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, garlic and oregano in pan over high heat for 5-10 min, until they give up some water and seem soft and maybe there's some browning. Salt and pepper as you cook. (I didn't have a jalapeno so I used 2-3oz of diced green chilies instead). Add the tomato sauce and water and simmer for 5 minutes, until slightly thickened. (I added some sriracha to the tomato sauce to make up for the lack of jalapeno)

2. Put some tortilla chips in 4 baking dishes, and then spoon the sauce over the top. Crack 2 eggs into each dish and sprinkle with the cheese. Set the dishes on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the egg whites are set and the yolks are still runny.

p dang easy, v tasty

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a decent set of cookware in the $100-$200 range?

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Can you define "cookware" a bit more precisely? If you're hoping to kit out a kitchen from scratch with $100, then I'd point you to the nearest charity shops.

• Options
    Just basic pots and pans.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    How many people need to be cooked for? That's going to be a big factor.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I would recommend looking on Macy's website, they have a sale on today and they have a few sets of cookware from Circulon that might be okay

like this one: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/circulon-momentum-11-piece-cookware-set?ID=1965869&CategoryID=7552#fn=sp=1&spc=628&ruleId=&slotId=9

So It Goes on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I've been pretty loyal to T-fal ever since I got my first frying pan. You can shop around and see what would fit your needs, but this looks to be a decent set for a fair price:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001167VIQ/ref=twister_B00VFSRLPI?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    So I made some really killer soup the other day. @skippydumptruck said I should post it in here so that he can steal all of my secrets.

1 large Parsnip
    1 onion
    3-4 stalks celery
    1/2 head red cabbage
    1/2 lb bacon
    ~6-8 cups chicken stock/broth
    1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 sprig rosemary (a big one), roughly chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 bay leaves
    salt and pepper to taste

dice up your mirepoix like normal, with the parsnip subbing in for carrot. dice the bacon.
    throw the bacon in and start it cooking down, once it's about halfway to where you like it done (i prefer mine kinda chewy, but if you like crispier, your funeral) and then throw in your mirepoix mix
    cook everything until the onions are starting to go translucent and then cover with broth/stock
    simmer for about 45 mins
    chop the cabbage, I do kind of longer strings, but you want to get it where you are comfortable eating it
    throw in the cabbage
    cook for 10 mins, check the cabbage
    cook for 10, check the cabbage
    You want the cabbage to be tender, but not mushy. Boiling cabbage well has been a damn hard thing for me to do, so watch it carefully
    Once the cabbage is tender, turn the heat off
    Let it sit for about 10-15, serve
    If you are inclined, I'm sure that a nice dollop of sour cream would probably be fine in it, but that might be too sour with the vinegar

Shit is delicious though, and reheats really well.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Oh, and if you're feeling saucy, instead of the cabbage you can do like 3 large red beets and you have beet and bacon soup.
    That is also a good way to eat things.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    So today I read on the internet that you can use sous vide to pasteurize your own eggs.

This is a game changer, everyone.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I've done it to make fresh mayo, I have not tried them for anything else. They would probably be fine for most other applications tho.

It's the only way to make them 100% safe. All those other methods people use don't work. To be honest I don't bother with it for myself but my parents are no spring chickens.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, what is everyone's leftover turkey gameplan? I've already taken some of mine and made a quick turkey pot pie, though I made the roux a bit stronger than it needed to be, resulting in a rather...thick gravy base.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    I go over to a friend's place and we don't really wind up with a lot of leftover turkey per person but I've had fun reading up on ideas regardless:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/11/how-to-transform-leftover-thanksgiving-turkey-into-carnitas.html
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/11/thanksgiving-leftovers-roundup.html

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    First off, I want to point out that by thick, I meant "gravy could also be used as spackle."

Second, how to make your own bread sandworm.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I was making dinner and had planned burritos with a lazy/easy chili and maybe some fresh chopped vegetables, but then I got carried away.

Pico de gallo, re-fried beans, guacamole and a salad joined the party and now I can't move help.

• Options
  • Options
    FireFlowerGamesFireFlowerGames MarsRegistered User regular
    It seems extremly useful!

Carefully selected downloadable DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and Linux - http://www.fireflowergames.com/
    Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.
  • Options
    anyone have a fav bread pudding recipe?

I've never made one but I think I'm going to for xmas morning

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

For 150 Traimontina puts their stamp on the same triple ply stainless that le cresuet offers for 600 and all clad offers for 1000

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    I had originally said 300 but apparently it's even cheaper now

Is 18/10 stainless

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Anyone have tips to keep macrons from collapsing?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I had originally said 300 but apparently it's even cheaper now

Is 18/10 stainless

Thanks. It seems sold out on amazon right now, but I'll keep it in mind for future.

• Options
    Spoit wrote: »

I'm not a baker, but I found this on google:

http://foodnouveau.com/destinations/europe/france/a-macaron-troubleshooting-guide-useful-tips-and-advice-to-master-the-french-delicacy/

Overbeaten egg whites. For egg white pointers, see ‘What should the beaten egg whites look like?’ section above.

Shells resting for too long. A 20 to 40 minutes resting period is usually enough.

Oven temperature too high, preventing the insides to set, causing the meringue to collapse when the shells are taken out of the oven. It’s best to bake at a lower temperature (285 to 315°F [140 to 160°C], depending on your oven) for a longer period of time so that the shells cook slowly but consistently.

I think your best bet is to try to think of your favorite holiday flavor profile, and then assume that someone has already done it and search from there.

Personally, I'd aim for a pumpkin cinnamon roll bread pudding.

• Options

I think your best bet is to try to think of your favorite holiday flavor profile, and then assume that someone has already done it and search from there.

Personally, I'd aim for a pumpkin cinnamon roll bread pudding.

I think I'm going to try this one from the nyt

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012636-simple-bread-pudding

one of the comments talks about putting chocolate chips in it, that sounds gooey and good

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Do you have a link for the recipe you're using? I'd be happy to go over it and compare it to what I use.

As far as basic tips - I know that there's been some debate about whether it is necessary to age egg whites when it's come up on these forums before, but I remain in favor of aging your egg whites at least 2 days before using them. Every great pastry chef I know or have studied under continues to do it that way. I've spent time in one pastry shop that didn't age their egg whites, but only because they bought pre-separated whites that included stabilizers you wouldn't normally find in eggs that helped their meringue stability. When you have your shells piped make sure to rest them long enough for a skin to form. The 20-40 minutes mentioned above is about right, but it depends a bit on the conditions in your kitchen. Which reminds me that if you are in a humid environment and don't have an air conditioned kitchen, macarons are probably never going to work. If not, no worries.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    4LCD15d.jpg
    So, that probably doesn't look like much, but anyone with the misfortune to know me in person has heard me kvetch about how hard it is to get good ramen in the U.S. (after having lived in Japan and finding out what the REAL stuff is like), and I finally said fine, I'll just make my own!

And it was almost as good as that amazing ramen I've been missing.

The soft boiled egg was the easy part - boil for seven minutes, shell, cut in half.
    Slice up some green onions too.

The slices in there are pork cutlets and fried tofu. To prepare them:

2 pork cutlets (cut into thirds)
    1 piece fried tofu, sliced widthwise
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup Mirin (cooking sake)
    4-5 thick slices ginger root
    1 clove garlic sliced thin

Marinate the tofu and cutlets for two hours, saute in a little seasame oil until the cutlets are cooked through.

Soup Stock:
    6 cup water
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    5 thin ginger slices
    1/2 lb ground pork
    4 green onions cut in half

Boil for 15 minutes, strain, and return the broth to the pot

Miso broth
    6 Tbsp Light Miso Paste
    2 Tbsp Mirin
    1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
    1/4 tsp chili bean paste

Add above ingredients to pot, simmer

2 Tbsp sesame oil
    1 clove garlic, grated

Add to the broth in the last 5 minutes or so, while you're making the noodles.

Noodles: Get noodles from local asian grocery store and prepare according to instruction. At worst, use the noodles from instant ramen, throw away the sauce packet.

Strain and rinse the noodles. Put in bowls. Pour the broth over the noodles, add pork, tofu, green onions, and soft-boiled egg. Arrange aesthetically, take a picture, and then enjoy!

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I thought there was something about the broth being a multi-day project?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I'm not running a ramen resturaunt - I wanted to eat dinner TODAY. :lol:

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Just adapt it for a pressure cooker. I made this last night, and it took about 35 minutes start to finish. seriouseats.com/2015/01/how-to-make-30-minute-pressure-cooker-pho-ga-vietnamese-chicken-noodle-soup.html

The same principles should apply to making ramen broth (though, timing different, if making pork shoulder you'd probably cook for an hour vs chicken's 20-30 min).

• Options
    If I was going for super authentic traditional ramen, that would be a good way to go, but the miso is the predominant broth flavor, so going for the more ad-hoc soup stock worked out quite well.

• Options
    The noodles at least are manageable to get in some areas. Sun Noodle makes the noodles many places in the US that do ramen use but also sell their noodles in refrigerated kits in some Asian stores (I've only found them in the Japanese grocers here, none of the Chinese or Korean places so far). Unfortunately you can't get just the noodles as a consumer and have to pick up a soup base packet with the purchase.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Cooking thread.

Do any of you have an exciting chili recipe that might be in my interests?

I dislike kidney beans. I'm considering a white chili, but I also like beef.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i don't really have an exciting chili recipe

i like to make chili by just grabbing a bunch of stuff and throwing it together and then using standard chili flavors like cumin/oregano/garlic, chili peppers (or just buy chili powder, it's ok to cheat here)

beef, stewed tomatoes, onion, if you dislike kidney beans try black beans, jalapeño slices

or chicken, tomatillos, onion, navy or cannellini beans

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    basically chili is pretty difficult to do poorly so it's great for just throwing stuff together and figuring out what you like

also beans are just fine in chili don't let other people tell you different

they will though

they will tell you different even if you don't want them to

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I've made a few of these from the book, apparently they've been updated. Real simple, no beans.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/recipe-update-chili-chile-con-carne.html

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    @knitdan those look legit, thanks!

@Chanus Black beans are a good Idea. I like beans in chili (unless its for hotdogs, no beans on my hotdogs) and I think the boyfriend would appreciate the added nutrition rather than me just throwing a pot of red meat at him, as I would like to do.

Last time I made a white chili with navy beans and ground turkey, it came out well, but I thought the flavor could have been more rich than the cheap chili powder I ended up using.

This discussion has been closed.