Options

Oregon Militia: All aboard the crazy train.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Now for some good news! The FBI have finished processing the scene, and the Malheur refuge has once again been turned over to the control of the U.S Fish and wildlife service. Hopefully the cleanup won't take terribly long.

Malheur was scheduled to have some prescribed burns done in midwinter that it's now too late to complete due to those yahoos so some of their invasive weed cleanup and control has been set back a year.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    chrisnl wrote: »
    The craziest thing I've learned about Oregon is that it was illegal for black people to move to Oregon well into the 20th century.

http://gizmodo.com/oregon-was-founded-as-a-racist-utopia-1539567040
    When Oregon was granted statehood in 1859, it was the only state in the Union admitted with a constitution that forbade black people from living, working, or owning property there. It was illegal for black people even to move to the state until 1926.

Oregon was totes racist, but it's a rather interesting story about their immigration law. Unlike Washington or California which were initially settled mostly by young-ish single men, Oregon was settled from the outset by families looking to build farms and raise families. And a big swath of those settlers were poor Democratic whites from the south. So they were pursuing a chance at land ownership that didn't exist for them in the plantation economy back home. And their biggest fear was that white slaveowners would come over as well, buy up all the cheap land, and start establishing plantations. So when statehood came around they voted to enter the union as a free state. This wasn't out of any particular abolitionist sentiment, like I said the slavery-supporting Democrats were far more influential than the liberal elite northern Republicans in Oregon. But slavery was against Oregon settlers interests.

Before Oregon gets accepted as a free state the Dred Scott decision renders everything moot, now slaves are slaves everywhere and Oregon can't ban slavery. So when they become a state the first law they pass is one banning black immigration. There were already a couple of slaves in Oregon and a few free black settlers, and most of them stayed in Oregon, and other free blacks immigrated afterwards now and then to little notice. This isn't to say there wasn't still horrible racism, but kicking out free blacks was never the priority. While the law excluded blacks, the point of the law was to exclude slavery. And that in turn is why the law stayed on the books so long after the civil war - it had never really been enforced anyway, it had lost its purpose now and nobody really thought about it. Oregon hadn't really had much heavy industry during WWI so they weren't really affected by the first great migration either, few industrial jobs to pursue.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Has anybody been charged with anything over the fucking car bomb trap situation?

Because I'm still not over that. That's just so much holy shit.

Apparently there are a fresh round of arrests and indictments pending. It'll likely be a few weeks before we see those charges, but we will see those charges.

Now for some good news! The FBI have finished processing the scene, and the Malheur refuge has once again been turned over to the control of the U.S Fish and wildlife service. Hopefully the cleanup won't take terribly long.

Meanwhile, a crack legal team is assembling to defend the arrestees...

How can they possibly fail?

Every time I read Ammon I think of

latest?cb=20140420022712

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Anybody want to explain Article 1, Section 8, Clause 17 actually says? I'm on my phone and trying to sleep, so I'm not going to look it up.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    I'm gonna go ahead and assume it says "The complete opposite of what these chucklefucks think it says."

Or maybe "Something utterly unrelated to what these chucklefucks think it says."

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Anybody want to explain Article 1, Section 8, Clause 17 actually says? I'm on my phone and trying to sleep, so I'm not going to look it up.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution_transcript.html
    To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;—And

TL:DR: They think this section about Washington D.C. prohibits the federal government from owning land.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;--And

It creates what would come to be known as the Disteict of Columbia. Sovereign citizens interpret this to mean that it is the only land the federal government can own.

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    The argument is easy. It doesn't say anything about wildlife preserves or national parks. It just says forts and arsenals. Course if the government can't own land, basically everything west of the Mississippi is not actually American soil anymore. Which hey, it's the wild west again.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Oh and here's the thing that shows how silly they are
    The Congress shall have Power ... To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

The Necessary and Proper Clause, aka the Whateva, I Do What I Want clause.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The argument is easy. It doesn't say anything about wildlife preserves or national parks. It just says forts and arsenals. Course if the government can't own land, basically everything west of the Mississippi is not actually American soil anymore. Which hey, it's the wild west again.

No see, they can buy it, they just can't own it.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    text of clause 17:
    To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;

yallqaeda et al argue that 1) the district of columbia is the only land the constitution allows the federal government to own and 2) that a wildlife refuge does not constitute a 'needful building' and/or that the state did not consent to the federal gov. owning the land.

it's all bullshit; it would have come as a surprise to the founders themselves that the federal government was not allowed to own land, considering the amount it purchased while under their administration(s)

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

(tweets snipped)

This is how the law works, especially for the defense in cases like this - you throw up anything you can think of that might persuade in favor of your client, in the hope that something will stick.

I expect the defense firm to burn through all the money they were actually paid while trying to explain to their clients how the law actually works, including that no, they can't just recite a magic speech and walk out of the courtroom. If the running-out-of-money comes before the conviction, the lawyers will shrug and file a motion to withdraw (that is, to stop representing those clients). The cause was doomed, but they got paid to try.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    in the broad sense their whole legal/constitutional theology stems from the view that the constitution is meant to be a strict/literal limiting document; i.e. the government can take only the actions specifically provided for therein, and everything else is thus unconstitutional. A wildlife refuge is obviously an overreach, because where in the constitution does it mention protecting birds? The necessary and proper clause is dismissed as redundancy, if not outright ignored

it's pure ignorance and betrays the lack of any attempt to actually engage with the history of the document; apparently the federal government should also be enjoined from building roads,

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

I'm sure France, Spain, and Russia will be happy to have it back.
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Can they paint with all the colors of the wind?

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Can they paint with all the colors of the wind?

No no no, it is immediately transferred to us, the American People.

We own it. Well, by we I mean me, because I have guns.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

(tweets snipped)

This is how the law works, especially for the defense in cases like this - you throw up anything you can think of that might persuade in favor of your client, in the hope that something will stick.

I expect the defense firm to burn through all the money they were actually paid while trying to explain to their clients how the law actually works, including that no, they can't just recite a magic speech and walk out of the courtroom. If the running-out-of-money comes before the conviction, the lawyers will shrug and file a motion to withdraw (that is, to stop representing those clients). The cause was doomed, but they got paid to try.

There is a line between a bad but still theoretically possible legal argument and an argument that has no basis in reality or legal possibility. Unsurprisingly, there are not many actual attorneys out there arguing sovereign citizen rhetoric before a court because that sort of thing will result in the lawyer being held in contempt or referred to the state bar for violation of the professional rules.

The Arnold Law Firm arguing sovereign citizen legal theories before a federal court is going to be a sight worth seeing.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I mean, hell, you'd figure there'd be something in the constitution about property.

Some clause... about property.

A property...clause.. if you will.
    Most of the Bundy Ranch faithful clam up when you bring up 4.3.2. The others go off on tangents about people being property so it's justification for military protection, others say it was only about slavery.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

Malheur was scheduled to have some prescribed burns done in midwinter that it's now too late to complete due to those yahoos so some of their invasive weed cleanup and control has been set back a year.
    Maybe they can rent some goats for the weed cleanup?

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    text of clause 17:
    To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;

yallqaeda et al argue that 1) the district of columbia is the only land the constitution allows the federal government to own and 2) that a wildlife refuge does not constitute a 'needful building' and/or that the state did not consent to the federal gov. owning the land.

it's all bullshit; it would have come as a surprise to the founders themselves that the federal government was not allowed to own land, considering the amount it purchased while under their administration(s)

They also argue that it is about ownership rather than exclusive jurisdiction. Clause 17 is about exclusive jurisdiction rather than the right of the federal government to own property, which is why it focuses on high value or high security property that the federal government has good reason to not want to allow states jurisdiction over. The property clause gives Congress the authority to make and enforce rules under proprietary jurisdiction.

Article 4, Section 3, Clause 2
    The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to Prejudice any Claims of the United States, or of any particular State.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    It's court day! Press, supporters and general gawkers have arrived. The Sharp family is in attendance, singing religious songs.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    These people terrify me.

• Options
    Here's the list of people showing up in courtroom 14a today. Gonna be busy.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    What's the purpose of their appearance / are they all being tried together?

• Options
    They're pushing to be tried together, but that isn't likely to be allowed. The case is complicated enough as it is.

Today's purpose is very simple. An arraignment. The charges against each suspect will be formally read out, and then they'll be asked to enter a plea. Expect outrage, denial and general shenanigans.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I expect a lot of contempt charges to get thrown around today. So much contempt you'll think it was a public opinion poll of congress.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I would expect that the lawyers will be able to keep control of most of the suspects, especially people like Ammon and Ryan who were able to afford a decent defence fund. People like Sean and Shawna Cox and David Fry... That'll be a bit crazier, I would imagine.

• Options
    I suspect both suspects and anyone allowed in the courtroom will cause a commotion.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    I would expect that the lawyers will be able to keep control of most of the suspects, especially people like Ammon and Ryan who were able to afford a decent defence fund. People like Sean and Shawna Cox and David Fry... That'll be a bit crazier, I would imagine.

I look forward to the tension the Bundys not wanting to share their defense fund with the rest may cause.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Somebody repost that video of Dale Gribble using the admiralty court defense.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016

1. Who? Are you thinking, perhaps, of Rusty Shackelford?
    2. Everyone knows there's an even better defense.
    pocket_sand_king_of_the_hill.gif

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    What's the over/under on how many of those arraignments they'll get through before the judge has to clear the court of nutballs?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Robonun wrote: »
    What's the over/under on how many of those arraignments they'll get through before the judge has to clear the court of nutballs?

Nutballs? Nobody told me there'd be snacks.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Robonun wrote: »

Nutballs? Nobody told me there'd be snacks.

There weren't any snacks! Which is why the occupation crumbled! Too much low blood sugar.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfSkBONbDwA

• Options
    edited February 2016
    No cameras or mobile phones are allowed in the courtroom, so everything that happens we will hear about second hand. That's good, as it'll avoid a total circus.

*edit* Oh, here we go! Seems like it all went off relatively quietly!

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    It's court day! Press, supporters and general gawkers have arrived. The Sharp family is in attendance, singing religious songs.

That's not a religious song.

It's from Pitch Perfect 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPTOjHJmxsw

• Options
    So supporters of the detainees showed up to sing... breakaway pop hits from teen movies?

...okay.

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    All defendants entered a "Not Guilty" plea except for Ken Mendenbach. He was the one who took the government vehicle to a Safeway and was arrested "getting supplies" Ken said he was going to represent himself. An an arraignment, judges don't really care about something like that at the moment, they just need a plea. The judge put in a plea of Not Guilty on his behalf.

There is a joke in lawyer circles that that Pro Se is Latin for "Guilty"

halkun on
  • Options
    How disappointing I expected more drama.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Pro se in a criminal case is latin for "super difficult to deal with"

So It Goes on
This discussion has been closed.