Options

Of Saints, Souls, and [Steam]

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    So it looks like Bethesda may be making their own download service for their games. Because that's exactly what the players want, every company utilizing their own program and splintering everything.

http://gamerant.com/bethesda-game-launcher/

I remember when Epic was giving away Shadow Complex Remastered for free in December. The caveat was that you had to make an account with them and use their Epic Games Launcher to download it. Even though Shadow Complex is an amazing Metroidvania, I suspect that was not enough for a lot of people to download a separate launcher to get the game.

I was willing to do the Epic Launcher nonsense for a free Shadow Complex, but I won't be buying games there. Similarly, I won't buy games that use the Bethesda launcher unless they take a page from Ubisoft's book and create Steam versions that also open their own stupid thing.

Epic's launcher is worth using for people with an interesting in game development or asset creation due to the support it has for the Unreal Engine. With the way they want to work in community contributions into the new Unreal Tournament as base features and not just add ons, they probably need one platform and are doing things that Steam may not work well for. Hell, it looks like it may have done what Valve and Bethesda were trying to do with paid mods successfully given that people creating assets for use with the engine can put up models, textures, etc. up for purchase. But I highly doubt there's a future for it as a commercial game storefront.

The other launchers so far are pretty pointless though from a PC perspective and worthless and annoying as storefronts. uPlay lets you earn rewards in game that can be neat but so much of it is awful. Rockstar's Social Club feels even more of a waste of bytes. The one advantage these publisher/developer specific front ends could have is that since they are on consoles as well as PC they could provide a unified social interface for games with cross platform play but no one actually does that so they remain pointless.

Totally agree. The big draw for me, historically, has been powering up my AC protagonist in the early game so I'm not so squishy at the beginning despite (usually) starting as an established assassin that should know what they're doing.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    And now that I've slept and calmed down a little...
    TheStig wrote: »
    Another dozen deaths later, nope. Simply can't get past this block.

Try rolling through the attacks. Blocking is a fool's quest.

Also save your pyro for the second form, it's weak to fire. Stay as close as you can for the first phase.

I'm not blocking because I only have a puny little splinter of a shield with something like 50% damage resistance. So I have my axe in my right hand and my fireball in the left.

I can handle the first half of him okay. He gets me sometimes if I miss a dodge, but for the most part, he's easy enough.

It's the second half. His shape is too vague, I can't tell what I should be dodging and when, it *feel* like he's hitting me even when it looks like he's missing by a mile, and he takes 1/3 of my health bar with every hit. If I try to stay back and fireball him, he closes that distance faster than I can even cast a spell and whomps me. If I get close, the camera becomes my enemy and I can't see anything because of his shape and the claustrophobia-inducing closeness of the camera. I'm pretty sure if I could zoom out some more, I'd have this in no time. In short, I just can't tell what's what or what's going on on screen and there's no distance at which I can get any attacks off before he's right there. And because the fight is where it is, I can't do anything special to prepare: there's no consumables available anywhere to buff/help, there's no way to go away and grind out a few levels to take the edge off, there's no way to summon help.

I've had some struggles in DS before. The Pursuer, for instance, took me *forever* to get a handle on. But no matter how long it took or how much swearing at the monitor (or Karoz) I did, I always knew it was just me. I died because I screwed up. This is the first fight where it's felt like the game just isn't playing fair.

I'm just hoping this isn't what the rest of the game is going to be like. Hard is one thing. Cheap is totally different.

It is kinda bullshit that they throw a boss at you with no way to level up or get help for the fight, when you can do just that for any boss for the rest of the game.

If I remember correctly, the best way to deal with him in his second form is roll towards him when he does his big attack, and then you can just keep rolling around to his side and attacking. You do end up fighting the camera more than him, but just keep locked on and keep rolling to the side and attacking in between. I say stick with it, cause the rest of the game isn't as bullshit, and I'm having a way better time with it than DS2.

Every boss has a weakness, or multiple. This particular one is designed to punish those who try to fight him with ranged in the second stage. Get in close, preferably behind his leg. Use your iframes to your advantage when he swings, but he shouldn't last long once you get in behind and unload on him.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    W
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    fk7jdvlj7l0x.png

tumblr_mofc7lDi981qj76u3o2_500.png

Usually I'd do a give-away but I'm pretty broke at the moment. Thanks for all the fun filled years Steam thread!

What? That is ludicrous... Everyone post why @KoopahTroopah is great. Tomorrow afternoon, I will have Geth roll for a $10 game on steam to everyone that quoted this post. Also, you have to say why Koopah is great, because we all know Koopah is, see the sig.

Koopah is a great person because of the lengths he goes to for other people. He deserves to be buried under multiple gift-a-pult shots for everything he's done for other people- streaming, just being there, helping where he can...

In short: Koopah is awesome and deserves to have awesome things happen to him.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    fk7jdvlj7l0x.png

Usually I'd do a give-away but I'm pretty broke at the moment. Thanks for all the fun filled years Steam thread!

What? That is ludicrous... Everyone post why KoopahTroopah is great. Tomorrow afternoon, I will have Geth roll for a $10 game on steam to everyone that quoted this post. Also, you have to say why Koopah is great, because we all know Koopah is, see the sig.

Seriously, @KoopahTroopah is great doing three 24 hour streams and raising a whole bunch of money for Child's Play. He is an overall chill dude who does what he loves but isn't afraid to help others out--letting me be a selfish Roadhog for a change. :biggrin:

Really glad you're part of the community Koopah and know your presence is always welcome.

PS: I'll pass on the $10 game, praising Koopah is reward enough.
    But no matter how long it took or how much swearing at the monitor (or Karoz) I did, I always knew it was just me. I died because I screwed up.

Minions, nature's punching bag, am I right? :wink:

Karoz on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Search your hearts.

You know that the real reason that @KoopahTroopah is so great is "Ooo ... ooo ... ooo ... ooo ... WHAT?"

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Man that trailer was like, three minutes of space marines getting their asses kicked

• Options
    Karoz wrote: »
    fk7jdvlj7l0x.png

What? That is ludicrous... Everyone post why KoopahTroopah is great. Tomorrow afternoon, I will have Geth roll for a $10 game on steam to everyone that quoted this post. Also, you have to say why Koopah is great, because we all know Koopah is, see the sig.

Seriously, KoopahTroopah is great doing three 24 hour streams and raising a whole bunch of money for Child's Play. He is an overall chill dude who does what he loves but isn't afraid to help others out--letting me be a selfish Roadhog for a change. :biggrin:

Really glad you're part of the community Koopah and know your presence is always welcome.

PS: I'll pass on the $10 game, praising Koopah is reward enough.
    But no matter how long it took or how much swearing at the monitor (or Karoz) I did, I always knew it was just me. I died because I screwed up.

Minions, nature's punching bag, am I right? :wink:

...so I guess this is a picture of the real you, huh Karoz?

QWL4GOc.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    cB557 wrote: »
    Man that trailer was like, three minutes of space marines getting their asses kicked

I usually hate CGI trailers when a game is revealed. "SHOW ME THE GAME!" I always think.
    But man, I never feel that way when those guys release a CGI trailer. They are always sooooo sexy. I still want to see the gameplay of course, but I'm not frustrated at only getting this.

Pretty excited for DoW3. If it's as big a jump as DoW 2 was from DoW 1....mmm. The whole campaign with coop and the rpg elements and loot. Loved it.

vamen on
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
  • Options
    I can personally vouch for Human Resource Machine and Mini Metro being great. Towerfall is great on PS4, so I assume it's also great on PC.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    koopahs are pretty chill, not to mention the years of persecution they had to put up with where all the people of mushroom kindom would harvest them for their shells simply to throw them around during go kart races. makes me sick

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Mini Metro is great. Wonderful little abstract puzzler.

This bundle looks like it's in the "good, but I already own the ones I REALLY want" category.

• Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Alright Steam thread: has anybody played either 12 Is Better Than 6 or Chef Solitaire USA? I've got $5 left after the Ori upgrade and those are the 2 on my wishlist that are jumping out at me the most.

12 Is Better Than 6 I've played. I have a hard time describing what I liked and didn't like about it. It basically wasn't for me, but YMMV. Mechanics are a little harsh and unfair, but it doesn't matter much since you get checkpointed every couple minutes of gameplay. Hotline Miami never clicked for me, but that's definitely the game to compare it to.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    MadPen wrote: »
    Alright Steam thread: has anybody played either 12 Is Better Than 6 or Chef Solitaire USA? I've got $5 left after the Ori upgrade and those are the 2 on my wishlist that are jumping out at me the most.

12 Is Better Than 6 I've played. I have a hard time describing what I liked and didn't like about it. It basically wasn't for me, but YMMV. Mechanics are a little harsh and unfair, but it doesn't matter much since you get checkpointed every couple minutes of gameplay. Hotline Miami never clicked for me, but that's definitely the game to compare it to.

That actually tells me what I need to know. Hotline Miami is a wonderful soundtrack trapped in a game I'm terrible at. Chef Solitaire it is!

Also, PM me if you want Human Resource Machine or Shantae: Risky's Revenge.

Be warned, Human Resource Machine is a game paint job around a do-it-yourself assembly programming course. It's great, but if you don't want to make assembly programs then it's probably not really for you.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Shantae is a lot of hair-whipping, belly-dancing fun...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I've been hyped for this since I played the Game Jam version. So hosting a giveaway!

signature.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H1GHlI0TYM

Prepare for feels.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5854-QWLN-2621
    Where is my gift, and why was it removed?

When a gift is refunded due to fraud or a payment dispute, the gift is removed from Steam. The account which redeemed the gift receives a notification that the game is no longer available to play in his or her Steam library.

I traded items for my gift. Can I have these items restored?

If you performed a trade to receive this game, Steam Support will not restore any items that were exchanged for the removed gift.

Important if you ever trade for games. They no longer restore the items you traded if the gift is revoked.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Finished Ori and the Blind Forest's story and a good portion of the easily obtainable achievements last night. An hour or two tonight should finish up the rest of the easy ones and then I can put it to bed. Hunting down all the life, energy, etc. pieces that are scattered around is almost as fun as the story since you have pretty much all the powers and abilities that makes running through all the old areas so much easier than the first times through.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vamen wrote: »

I usually hate CGI trailers when a game is revealed. "SHOW ME THE GAME!" I always think.
    But man, I never feel that way when those guys release a CGI trailer. They are always sooooo sexy. I still want to see the gameplay of course, but I'm not frustrated at only getting this.

Pretty excited for DoW3. If it's as big a jump as DoW 2 was from DoW 1....mmm. The whole campaign with coop and the rpg elements and loot. Loved it.

im the opposite, i usually prefera good cgi cinematic trailer. like for example i have no interest in the witcher series after playing 2 and finding i hated it, but witcher 3 has such good trailers that it makes me think i might want to play it, which i dont.

• Options
    [
    Isorn wrote: »

When a gift is refunded due to fraud or a payment dispute, the gift is removed from Steam. The account which redeemed the gift receives a notification that the game is no longer available to play in his or her Steam library.

If you performed a trade to receive this game, Steam Support will not restore any items that were exchanged for the removed gift.

Important if you ever trade for games. They no longer restore the items you traded if the gift is revoked.

How long before they change this for the thousands of people about to get scammed out of stuff, I wonder?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Petesalzl wrote: »

im the opposite, i usually prefera good cgi cinematic trailer. like for example i have no interest in the witcher series after playing 2 and finding i hated it, but witcher 3 has such good trailers that it makes me think i might want to play it, which i dont.

Witcher 3 did have some freakin' fantastic cinematics, that's for sure.
    I enjoy CGI a lot overall, I just want to see gameplay itself first to see if I care enough to watch the CGI parts. After that, give me some sexy lore via CGI and I'm a happy camper.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    [

How long before they change this for the thousands of people about to get scammed out of stuff, I wonder?

Just think... all of this is happening because almost a decade ago someone at Valve said "Hey, what if we added hats to TF2?".

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    [

I doubt they will.

And the reason they changed this up in the first place is because people were using it to dupe expensive Counter-Strike weapon skins and whatnot.

Isorn on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    [

Just think... all of this is happening because almost a decade ago someone at Valve said "Hey, what if we added hats to TF2?".

Basically conjured a bajillion dollars out of thin air. I know I'm jelly.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular

I enjoy CGI a lot overall, I just want to see gameplay itself first to see if I care enough to watch the CGI parts. After that, give me some sexy lore via CGI and I'm a happy camper.

There have been so many games where I have gone to watch the trailer and, at the end, I have no idea what it's like to actually play the game. It's just cutscenes or character shots. Can't even tell what kind of game it is.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    If anyone wants Shantae from that bundle and isn't going to buy it, hit me up, have a spare.

• Options

There have been so many games where I have gone to watch the trailer and, at the end, I have no idea what it's like to actually play the game. It's just cutscenes or character shots. Can't even tell what kind of game it is.

Exactly. And it's always a bummer when you fall in love with a cinematic and then see the actual gameplay and it's something you're 100% not interested in.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    ONTO KING'S BOUNTY! A game I bought during the Bush era but never finished.

@RoyceSraphim, which of the many King's Bounty games are you playing? The original? If you have the original and Armored Princess, I'd recommend skipping KB and going straight to KB:AP. KB original is good, but, like all the KB games, it's really, really long and there are some UI and gameplay amenities added in AP that make it a much better experience overall. Especially the (very minor spoiler):
    flying mount that eliminates a ton of tedious back-tracking to go back and find that mob that you couldn't tackle 10 levels ago.

Also pay attention to the badges I think they are called, like win 10 fights without losing any troops, that unlock stat boosts and bonuses. Getting those early, esp. the experience earning boost, makes the rest of the game much more manageable.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »
    ONTO KING'S BOUNTY! A game I bought during the Bush era but never finished.

@RoyceSraphim, which of the many King's Bounty games are you playing? The original? If you have the original and Armored Princess, I'd recommend skipping KB and going straight to KB:AP. KB original is good, but, like all the KB games, it's really, really long and there are some UI and gameplay amenities added in AP that make it a much better experience overall. Especially the (very minor spoiler):
    flying mount that eliminates a ton of tedious back-tracking to go back and find that mob that you couldn't tackle 10 levels ago.

Also pay attention to the badges I think they are called, like win 10 fights without losing any troops, that unlock stat boosts and bonuses. Getting those early, esp. the experience earning boost, makes the rest of the game much more manageable.

I think the original is hilarious, though. AP not so much.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    AP is still pretty funny. KB:Original spouse quests are funnier, though, no doubt.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »
    AP is still pretty funny. KB:Original spouse quests are funnier, though, no doubt.

Yeah, I mighta played AP too soon after KB, so the humor may have been starting to wear thin. Maybe.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I think I downloaded the wrong one because I swear I had the zombie wife and and now I see original campaign and this princess that needs pants.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »

Oh hey. What luck. I found $10.

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Open to General PA and PAG&T Groups. End tomorrow at 7pm EST. No contribution necessary.

I've only played Towerfall which is incredible amazing fun party times with friends, and also some neat challenge modes and single player stuff. Evoland 2 is also really neat in that it's constantly changing genres and is super long compared to the first Evoland.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I think I downloaded the wrong one because I swear I had the zombie wife and and now I see original campaign and this princess that needs pants.

Almost sig-able

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I've got it!

Zombie wife was in the first one, pantsless princess in the second one.

• Options
    What game are you even talking about? To be fair lots of princesses don't wear pants.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

You know, I've had this game for a long time and never really looked at it. I have to say, for a game titled "Armored Princess", she doesn't look very well armored. I guess a sword isn't going to be cutting her shoulders, at least.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I guess a sword isn't going to be cutting her shoulders, at least.

And that's what's important.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I guess a sword isn't going to be cutting her shoulders, at least.

And that's what's important.

Abs of steel!

This discussion has been closed.