ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    since when did [tiny] get taken away

Arch is gone?

fite me 1v1

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Gonna go home and watch some more metalocalypse.

do you folks like coffee
    real coffee
    from the hills of columbia

the duncan hills awake you
    from a thousand deaths
    a cup of blackened blood
    die die
    youre dying for a cup

guatemala blend
    ethiopian
    french vanilla roast
    die die
    youre dying for a cup

prepare for ultimate flavor
    youre gonna get some now
    and scream
    for your cream

duncan hills
    duncan hills
    duncan hills coffee

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Plus they have said that the FF7 remake will have gameplay improvements and updated conventions to make it more modern

sometimes I play an old game and just cannot get over the older style of pacing, or menu sifting, or leveling

We've made huge improvements to UI in games over the past 20 years and it's hard to go back to non-user friendly menus

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular

wandering wrote: »
    coincidentally i just was listening to a podcast where john hodgeman came on to argue that nostalgia is a toxic and useless emotion, or at best a soothing drug, and like all drugs should be used with moderation
    Meanwhile I think Miyazaki said nostalgia is the basis of all good art

GNUD7QZl.jpg

• Options
    bros I'm driving from bryce canyon Utah to Tucson today

rip me + wife

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    apparently trump is going to be in town on friday

at the colosseum which is a strange venue choice as no one has gone there for like 10 years

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    I do not get people being hyped for a final fantasy 7 remake

Like what is the point

Well, I've never played it, so I might check it out when it's eventually released.
    It might be nice to see what all the fuss is about without having to put up with the mess that is early 3D Playstation graphics.

The story goes on for like a thousand hours and makes no fuggin sense but it looked pretty in 1997

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Foods Librarys

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I understand why FF7 would get a remake. It's popular, and in terms of graphics, has aged the worst out of any final fantasy, so it makes sense.

(That said it's just not a good game, especially the story. FFVI is far more worthy of a remake, but needs it way less. FIGHT ME.)

• Options
    wandering wrote: »
    coincidentally i just was listening to a podcast where john hodgeman came on to argue that nostalgia is a toxic and useless emotion, or at best a soothing drug, and like all drugs should be used with moderation
    Meanwhile I think Miyazaki said nostalgia is the basis of all good art

I think, based on Miyazaki's body of work, that he meant in terms of capturing the innocence, wonder and imagination of childhood, rather than shallow references to the commercial fixtures of the past

• Options
    nostalgia is the basis for all good arts like a roux is the basis of all good sauces but that doesn't mean you can't still fuck it up

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Ahh, yes. I remember when when the simple act of thinking back fondly on days of yore wasn't a political act that needed to be rejected in service to the agenda of progress.

Those were the days, man. Things were better back then.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I want to replay FFVII to see if I'm misremembering it, but in my head the story was largely incoherent and filled with stuff that 12 year old me thought was awesome which in retrospect... not so much.

Some of the music was fkin rad though.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    nostalgia brought disco back in the 90s so

• Options
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Plus they have said that the FF7 remake will have gameplay improvements and updated conventions to make it more modern

sometimes I play an old game and just cannot get over the older style of pacing, or menu sifting, or leveling

We've made huge improvements to UI in games over the past 20 years and it's hard to go back to non-user friendly menus

Random battles, appalling writing, horribly confused plotting, endless ... dialogue. It needs a flamethrower taken to it.

And I say this as someone who loves that game. The original trailer still gives me goosebumps.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »
    I do not get people being hyped for a final fantasy 7 remake

Like what is the point

Well, I've never played it, so I might check it out when it's eventually released.
    It might be nice to see what all the fuss is about without having to put up with the mess that is early 3D Playstation graphics.

The story goes on for like a thousand hours and makes no fuggin sense but it looked pretty in 1997

It's a JRPG.
    I don't expect it to make any goddamn sense, in the slightest.
    I also expect a few other terrible things, and I hope to be disappointed at least once.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I want to replay FFVII to see if I'm misremembering it, but in my head the story was largely incoherent and filled with stuff that 12 year old me thought was awesome which in retrospect... not so much.

Some of the music was fkin rad though.

If it's the part I'm thinking of, the reason the story comes off as incoherent is the ingame explanation is at an optional detour you have no reason to go to otherwise.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

Ahh, yes. I remember when when the simple act of thinking back fondly on days of yore wasn't a political act that needed to be rejected in service to the agenda of progress.

Those were the days, man. Things were better back then.

Nostalgia for things that never were is the best nostalgia.

Good ol' Merrie Olde England.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    One of my fave Metalocalypse moments was the episode where Dr.Rockso relapses and ends with him going insane, doing massive amounts of cocaine and shouting I. Do. Cocaine!

• Options

Random battles, appalling writing, horribly confused plotting, endless ... dialogue. It needs a flamethrower taken to it.

And I say this as someone who loves that game. The original trailer still gives me goosebumps.

Well, I don't think we're going to see less of the confused plotting and endless dialogue, it is still a JRPG after all

As for the writing, I think there were a lot of issues with the English translation in 1995 that might be getting a revisit

AND. Cloud is still going to cross-dress

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    nostalgia brought disco back in the 90s so

also bell bottoms and tie dye

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular

at the colosseum which is a strange venue choice as no one has gone there for like 10 years

He's going to fight a lion.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think that the fact it sits in the category of JRPG is not an excuse for a terrible, confusing story.

I sound like a Debbie Downer about this, which is annoying. Maybe FFXV will be super cool. I will probably buy it and see.

• Options

Well, I don't think we're going to see less of the confused plotting and endless dialogue, it is still a JRPG after all

As for the writing, I think there were a lot of issues with the English translation in 1995 that might be getting a revisit

AND. Cloud is still going to cross-dress

JRPGs can have plots that are weird as shit, but I don't think they're always as confused as FFVII was.

• Options

He's going to fight a lion.

he's going to fight the best lion. it's going to be so fight. he's going to make lion great again.

• Options

I don't know who this guy is, but it already seems unaffordable

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I totally get nostalgia but like

You could have spent most of the last like 20 years playing FF7 on a variety of systems

why be excited about that?

1 die hard fans have been requesting it for a long time. I'm happy for those fans, and it is cool to see a company actually listening to a fanbase like that.

2 I barely played final fantasy 7 (my childhood RPG of choice is Lunar Silver Star Story Complete) so this rerelease is a chance for me to give the game another go, and maybe finish it without having to play through terrible psx graphics.

I mean I'm excited about it, but not necessarily enough that I'm buying a ps4 for it, but it could be the biggest push towards getting one.

Sleep on
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Ugh our internet went out last night and it is STILL down!

*goes to restart modem*

*notices an Xfinity logo*

N...n-no...NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

• Options
    Topically, NPR had a really good piece on Muhammad Ali, and how his legacy has already been co-opted, citing Bob Costas quip during the '96 Olympics that Ali was receiving a gold medal to replace the one that he 'lost'
    It explored how this happens to all radical black activists after the fact. Was good.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I guess as well I don't really see the point of updating it?

Surely taking out elements, even shitty ones, is going to negatively impact the nostalgic value or something like that?

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    HOLY SHIT!

The Sr. PM just threw a shit fit and quit.

Spongebobjawdrop.gif

• Options
    Of all the JRPGs i've played the only one that wasn't at least a bit confusing in terms of plot is Chrono Trigger

but that's because Chrono Trigger is a transcendent game and exists...out of time

:cool:

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i dont want to work

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

poo
  • Options
    I guess as well I don't really see the point of updating it?

Surely taking out elements, even shitty ones, is going to negatively impact the nostalgic value or something like that?

that's the thing with these remake things

if you keep it the same and just update the graphics, it's going to be a horribly dated game and you'll realize how much you've gotten used to how much better games are now

if you change it to "improve" it, everyone gets upset because you aren't being true to the original

it's pretty much a bad deal any way you slice it

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    It does seem like "Mt Doom" was a placeholder until he figured out a cool elvish name but then accidentally sent the manuscript to the publisher before he changed it

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    HOLY SHIT!

Spongebobjawdrop.gif

justified meltdowns are great though

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    HOLY SHIT!

Spongebobjawdrop.gif

deets

This discussion has been closed.