As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quick [chat]

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Of all the JRPGs i've played the only one that wasn't at least a bit confusing in terms of plot is Chrono Trigger

but that's because Chrono Trigger is a transcendent game and exists...out of time

:cool:

it's a damning indictment of the hot mess that is JRPG's that the one that features time travel as a central part of the story is the one that is the most comprehensible.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    It does seem like "Mt Doom" was a placeholder until he figured out a cool elvish name but then accidentally sent the manuscript to the publisher before he changed it

Mt Magic Robot

@Podly

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Haters to my DICK

hakkes we've talked about this

Everyone has a metaphorical dick atomika what else am I supposed to do to aggressively dominate everyone else, Haters to my CLIT? it doesn't work!

let me tell you about a little fuzzy animal called the hyena . . . .

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    FF7 is good, you weirdos.

Its just far from the best, and yes, 6 would have been a better choice.

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    It does seem like "Mt Doom" was a placeholder until he figured out a cool elvish name but then accidentally sent the manuscript to the publisher before he changed it

Mt Magic Robot

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

@Podly

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i see we are all of the same mind here

• Options
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    I guess as well I don't really see the point of updating it?

Surely taking out elements, even shitty ones, is going to negatively impact the nostalgic value or something like that?
    It depends on if the goal to appeal to nostalgia or to update it in a way that appeals to a new generation that never played the original?

Though even in the former, the updates usually strive to make it like it is remembered rather than how it was. PS1 games were usually 320x240. I don't think most people remember them looking as bad as they actually did.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    Meanwhile I think Miyazaki said nostalgia is the basis of all good art

That seems like a bold statement.
    I can't find the quote, I'm prolly mangling it, but I did find this which I thought was interesting:

rB61eiT.jpg?1

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Of all the JRPGs i've played the only one that wasn't at least a bit confusing in terms of plot is Chrono Trigger

but that's because Chrono Trigger is a transcendent game and exists...out of time

it's a damning indictment of the hot mess that is JRPG's that the one that features time travel as a central part of the story is the one that is the most comprehensible.

The problem with JRPGs is often the random twists the story takes. In Chrono Trigger, there is a moment when your goal becomes clear, and everything else is in service to that. In other games, like FFVI, there are some twists following your goal, but it is always clear at the moment.

Contrastingly, in games like the Tales series (which I love), the goal changes a trillion times. In Tales of Symphonia, you start out taking your friend on a journey, then you kill an angel, then you are betrayed, then you are sent to a new world knowing nothing, then you try to cure your now angel-friend, then some other stuff happens - I can't remember what - then you start fighting some bros, then it turns out a heroic figure isn't dead, then you go to space for a bit, then you fight the guy that betrayed you again, then you fight the hero who is also an angel.

Your actual main goal changes, and you're always doing adjacent stuff that leads you towards it, but the main villain isn't revealed until later, and there are tons of distractions.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    The phrase "crack of doom" is the modern English for the Old English term for Ragnarök, the great catastrophe of Norse mythology. The term became used for the Christian Day of Judgement, as by William Shakespeare in Macbeth (Act 4, scene 1, line 117). This appealed to Tolkien, who was a Professor of Old English.

hence Orodruin -> Amon Amarth -> Mt Doom

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular

Hm, I'd never really thought about it but Chrono Trigger is pretty remarkably straightforward and coherent, especially for a time travel jrpg wow that could have gone completely off the rails with genre modifiers like those.

They made sure to "fix" that apparent happy accident with Chrono Cross. (which I still love)

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

I don't think it's damning! It might not be for you, but it's not an indictment. If you go into JRPGs aware that some kooky plot shit is inevitably going to occur and enjoy it for what it is, then they are much more enjoyable

JRPGs are a delicious turn-based combat vehicle with occasionally charming but usually thickheaded characters, unsubtle goofy romances, usually a joke or two about some healer's skimpy outfit, a world-ending villain, absurd stakes, talking animal merchants, plot holes, and whole butts of fun

WHOLE butts

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    The [chat] collective consciousness is real

he's gonna be so mad hahaha

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    you fking nerds

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Xenosaga

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    all of you diving for that low hanging fruit like a bunch of starving hyenas

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Google tells me "Mt. Doom" was the stupid dumb name that stupid dumb humans called it, while Amon Amarth was the elvish name, which sounds much more Tolkieny

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Me, on like 98% of JRPG stories

https://youtu.be/2aegP8j5al0

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    There are people who have made sense out of FF7, like The Completionist. I remember thinking at the time I saw his vid that it would've been a really cool story if both it and I had approached it with a bit more care. Of course I dunno how much of that was retroactively patching the story through Dirge of Cerberus or Crisis Core or Advent Children. But hey that's one of the other things they can do in this version.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Hah hah mornings can go fuck themselves in whatever orifice or method they choose because *caffiene blast* oh hello chat, how is your sex life?

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I watched that Kingdom Hearts... thing.

That was 100% incoherent.

When I say this about say... Continental Phislophy u get mad tho

Yes but you hate everything so I can be sure we're aligned here

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hah hah mornings can go fuck themselves in whatever orifice or method they choose because *caffiene blast* oh hello chat, how is your sex life?

Not as good as that of mornings, which are apparently fucking themselves in whatever orifice and method they choose

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

Hm, I'd never really thought about it but Chrono Trigger is pretty remarkably straightforward and coherent, especially for a time travel jrpg wow that could have gone completely off the rails with genre modifiers like those.

They made sure to "fix" that apparent happy accident with Chrono Cross. (which I still love)

Time travel is inherently confusing for stories which necessarily rely on causality to sell a narrative

Chrono Trigger is probably one of the few time travel stories to get it correct by keeping the main plot simple, and selling the wonky time travel aspects through individual side stories (aside from Magus)

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

ROWDY AND REALLY MAKING A MESS OF THE WALLS

• Options
    edited June 2016
    There is a shitty metal band called Amon Amarth.

Actually, I've never heard their music, but i can't imagine they would be good, i mean their name is fucking Mt Doom in elvish.

Neco on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

Not as good as that of mornings, which are apparently fucking themselves in whatever orifice and method they choose

The dream is still alive, Shivahn.

Don't stop believin.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    tales of zestiria's plot was mostly straight forward although it had the annoying conceit of one character who had all the information you needed to know but wouldn't tell you

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

The problem with JRPGs is often the random twists the story takes. In Chrono Trigger, there is a moment when your goal becomes clear, and everything else is in service to that. In other games, like FFVI, there are some twists following your goal, but it is always clear at the moment.

Contrastingly, in games like the Tales series (which I love), the goal changes a trillion times. In Tales of Symphonia, you start out taking your friend on a journey, then you kill an angel, then you are betrayed, then you are sent to a new world knowing nothing, then you try to cure your now angel-friend, then some other stuff happens - I can't remember what - then you start fighting some bros, then it turns out a heroic figure isn't dead, then you go to space for a bit, then you fight the guy that betrayed you again, then you fight the hero who is also an angel.

Your actual main goal changes, and you're always doing adjacent stuff that leads you towards it, but the main villain isn't revealed until later, and there are tons of distractions.

Oh god. I'd forgotten about that game.
    And I only remember half of that stuff, and I think I blended it and Grandia 2 in my head... or maybe I haven't.
    Remembering which one is which after the fact is nearly as difficult as keeping what is going on straight in your head while playing it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    zepherin wrote: »
    HOLY SHIT!

The Sr. PM just threw a shit fit and quit.

Spongebobjawdrop.gif

deets
    The cause of the meeting.
    I made a mistake that the Sr. PM and I fixed. The VP called us into a meeting, the VP asked about why extra product was lying around in relation to the mistake. I said I made a mistake we fixed it, here is the final impact (about 6.5k). I staged delivery of the fix to not confuse the field.

The VP asked the SR. PM why he didn't go in after I had surveyed, with the production drawings and double check the measurements to avoid the fuck up, because he said he would. The SR. PM said he never said he did and if the VP insists that he did he was going to quit. With predictable results.

The shit fit was him going to the HR lady yelling he quit, throwing the phone down to purchasing and saying he quit and storming out the door saying he would never come back.

zepherin on
  • Options
    Neco wrote: »
    There is a shitty metal band called Amon Amarth.

Actually, I've nwver heard their music, but i can't imagine they would be good, i mean their bame is fucking Mt Doom in elvish.

they're fkin great btw

• Options
    So I'm back from a hospital visit because my shoulder slid out of socket again really bad and caused some ugly bruising and the docs gave me some fun time pills so I may or may not be out of my fucking mind for a bit.

• Options
    One of the biggest problems with FF7 besides the graphics is the incredibly awful english translation, which was one of the main reasons for the story not making sense. So a remake would be helpful in that regard.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I've been getting the urge to play a jrpg again lately, it's been a while. I'll probably just play Overwatch over and over again like a directionless pile though.

• Options
This discussion has been closed.