Options

[Phalla]tale - Final Day: The End

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Invictus

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I'm sorry guys, I hope I haven't been a downer. I've just been having a rough time of it.

As an aside, in response to your earlier comment Austin, it really didn't become stressful to me until computer issues began to interfere with my hit squad involvement late day 3 or 4 (which was right around when the backpain symptoms began), then things were ok until we lost Auralynx and paranoia about a possible mole began to creep in. That weekend that was day 6 was where I really started to feel it (both the stress, and when the shingles showed up), and then day 7 begins with 38thDoe, Raiden333, and Martoss all dead and I started losing it.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I get it. I think the combination of the size of the game plus the challenge with getting info combined to make this different from the last games I've played.

That and encouraging an over analyzer to analyze everything adds something extra to that. :)

• Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    I must say, for the number of drop-outs and reserves this game had, the village has been remarkably active. Usually with so many dead discussion grinds to a halt.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Reading my comment above, I realize that all the vets are probably like "You think THIS is stressful, let me tell you about..."

Edit: Oh god, does that make us the Phalla Millennials?

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    I guess the other question now is what McKid's win condition is, and whether we need to eliminate him or not.

I'll reiterate that I'm a vanillager

• Options
    Reading my comment above, I realize that all the vets are probably like "You think THIS is stressful, let me tell you about..."

Edit: Oh god, does that make us the Ohalla Millennials?

I almost made a comment about "imagine doing all that AND you're mafia". My most stressful games are always when I'm mafia.

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Alright, so I have a little time now, and it seems like things are going badly for me. I didn't have any orders in last night because I was drunk and got home literally moments before vote close. I appreciate that there's no particular reason for people to believe that.

Assuming the SK has to take an action to kill someone, that means someone is lying about what they did last night. JusticeforPluto could be lying about what they did, because Teucrian attacked the same person they attacked.

But let's get me out of the way anyway, because I'll just be a distraction.

Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    Invictus

• Options
    It's a nice effort Invictus but check my orders post again.

If JFP didn't attack, H3 wouldn't have gotten attacked. But he confirmed he was attacked.

Got you cornered on this one.

I may have had terrible aim all game but I did it right with my list of top suspects and assigned them each to someone who no one else was assigned to so they couldn't hide if they didn't take the requested action.

• Options
    It's a nice effort Invictus but check my orders post again.

If JFP didn't attack, H3 wouldn't have gotten attacked. But he confirmed he was attacked.

Got you cornered on this one.

I may have had terrible aim all game but I did it right with my list of top suspects and assigned them each to someone who no one else was assigned to so they couldn't hide if they didn't take the requested action.

Teucrian also attacked H3 as per your notes.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Vote before moves. Turican couldn't attack due to being dead before the moves were made.

• Options
    In any case, I'm content with this. Assuming the mafia had one of the kills, there's no way the SK can survive the several days necessary to whittle us down.

• Options
    Just want to say, whomever the SK might be *wink**wink*, they did a great job of hiding the whole game and avoiding being a real target for very long

• Options
    Fair enough. I'm out of ideas then.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Feels weird to be hunting down whoever saved us from a mafia win (unless the game would've continued anyway/we could've had a mutual win?).

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Time is running out. Approximately one hour remains until the vote close.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Time is running out.

That's not ominous at all.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Megafrost wrote: »
    I must say, for the number of drop-outs and reserves this game had, the village has been remarkably active. Usually with so many dead discussion grinds to a halt.

It definitely feels weird to me to be accused of being too active or trying to control the narrative. On my home forum, this level of chattiness from me usually gets me accused of inactivity.

Invictus since that's apparently what we're doing

Fry on
  • Options
    oops, edited votepost. The edit was not related to the vote, it was the other paragraph.

• Options
    Still invalidates the vote.

• Options
    eh, whatever. Invictus

• Options
    Should I be asking how it is that Austin + premium + megafrost was enough attack power to take out WACriminal?

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    invictus

• Options
    Premium, why are you going along with this? It seems like it's against your win condition.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Afaik invictus is just a normal wimpy sl1 villager (if he isnt the sk). If you guys start killing my strong dudes then im gonna raise a fuss.

premium on
  • Options
    Day 11 has closed.

Votes and actions taken at x:59 or before will count; votes and actions taken at x:00 or later will not count.

Results will be up no earlier than half past the hour and no later than the top of the next hour. Status PMs will go out after results are posted.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    If the game goes another day im not gonna complain if you all want to start doing hit squads again either, but that wasnt going to happen today with austins plan

• Options
    Comedy is going to be austin forgetting to post what the assignments were, and dying to the SK

• Options
    I got support Austin

• Options
    I got support JFP

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Final Day: The End

For once, the Royal Guard got a clear message from the citizenry for where to push their attention. All of monsterkind spread out in unison to find the suspected human, Invictus. While the hunter evaded the monsters at first, he would have to act in order to complete the job he set himself to perform when he entered the underground. His determination had brought him this far, why would it fail him now? An opportunity presented itself to the hunter, and he took the bait, striking out at a monster who seemed to be on his own. But though AustinP0027 was felled, the last human found himself surrounded with nowhere left to run. The monsters pounced on the human with all of their strength, to take down the invader and bring peace back to the underground.

And so peace returned to the underground. The quiet days of before had returned, though much quieter than before. It was a great loss suffered by monsterkind in their ordeal, but they had barely survived to continue on. Enough monsters had retained their souls clean enough to return to their old ways of life, but so too were there enough monsters with experience from the conflict to ensure that the incident would not be repeated. They would eventually forgive the human that was captured, but would not forget the pain caused. Outside, the human world continued on, unchanged. Monsterkind would continue to fade into rumor and legend, and the fates of a small group of hikers and an unassociated hunter would be filed away as unsolved mysteries. The only clue to what had happened was the discovery of the remains of one of the hikers, far from where they began their trek.

Eliminated Day 11 / 12
    AustinP0027 (sort of)
    Invictus

Invictus has agreed to forego his 'determination' ability (one-time prevention from elimination for any reason) to concede victory to the monsters' faction without need for another day to mark it officially. With that stated:
    The game is over!

Major Victory
    Peace Returns to the Underground - All threats to the underground have been removed, and monsterkind returns to peace.

Questionable Victory
    Innocence Retained - At least 1/3 of monster players at end of game were SL 1... but perhaps not if game day 12 was played through.
    Towards a Stronger Future - At least 1/3 of monster players at end of game were greater than SL 1... but perhaps only because game day 11 was not fully resolved.
    Space for Every Monster - There are seven or fewer players remaining at the end of the game... might have been the case if game day 11 and 12 were played through.
    Escape to the Surface - A human escaped the underground... at the same time that they were killed.
    Bonds of Friendship - The eliminated humans' last friend escaped the underground... though they were killed in the attempt.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    thanks for running, B

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Host Notes

It has been a long time since I ran a Phalla game on the forums. Coincidentally, this game started exactly two years after my last game, both in thread posting and game start. I didn't mean for it to be so long between this game and the last. But real life has a way of reducing the amount of time available to work on creative projects. And game design has ways of not working out, especially with the kind of complex battle interactions that I tend to put into my games. I still wanted to run a game, but things just didn't come together for it.

But at the end of 2015, I played a little game called Undertale. Immediately after completing it, I knew I wanted to try running a game based on it. It's been a darling of the internet for a good reason, and I hope that my game hasn't driven people away from playing the original game. Of course, you can see that it didn't really do that much to kick me back into gear, considering that it was still five months from the new year to the start of this game.

The main idea I had in designing the game was for it to be low-information. I was inspired somewhat by Infidel's Death Note game, which featured a small starting mafia and some uncertainty in daily results, so I wanted to see how that would translate over to a battle game. In battle games, information about player alignments can often be strengthened if a kill squad is able to work together to kill a mafia member.

The mafia group was balanced to get one, maybe two kills on the first day depending on soft networking, then obtain about two kills per day afterwards. Missed actions and bad luck caused the group to fall behind in their number of eliminations made. The early elimination of the vigilante also slowed down the pace of the game. I probably should have given the group one more member as additional wiggle room, especially considering the number of players that ended up signing up in the last day of signups. It's possible that I should have given the mafia group and serial killer a 'free' action to allow them a better chance of hiding in case of an action call as seen in the last days of the game. I didn't calculate attack and support information to have such potential, it was a bit of an oversight on my part.

I actually set up the win conditions to be fairly compatible. If the mafia made a clean escape while the serial killer was still alive, the game would continue until either the village or serial killer won. There was also an extremely outside chance for a peaceful victory for all. It wasn't a condition I expected to occur, and I tried to keep things to be as traditional as possible outside of the low-information mechanics. Whenever I run a game based on a pre-existing property, I always try to create a unique scenario so that the game can stand without needing source knowledge (hence the lack of names associated with special roles). But I had to throw some odd win conditions in to keep some flavor of the original game.

Overall, I hope that my mistakes and missteps did not end up being too much of a detriment to the game. I realize that its design was pretty far from the norm, and I hope that you will forgive me for being so secretive about information in the narrations and how the game's structure matched (or didn't match) the source material. Maybe I would run a 'troll' game at some point, if I planned on that being my last game ever on the forums. But I don't plan on that happening anytime soon. Let's just hope that the next game comes up sooner than two years from now. :) Thanks so much for playing.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    I'm actually kinda sad I didnt make it to the end without committing any actions. I wanted to keep my hands as clean as possible.

But I also wanted to live. In fact, this is the first time I made it to the end as a villiager, even though I was sure Fry and H3 had nasty plans for me by the 10th day.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Props go to Austin and kime for telling the thread who the seer was :P
    Also apparently Egos and I were bent on mutually assured destruction up until another mafia distracted him.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Game Information
    There may be some thematic spoilers for the original game Undertale in the below information. If you participated in this game, there might be some spoilery revelations when everything is seen in total. Fairly minor spoilers, but a warning has been provided nonetheless.

Master Spreadsheet

Role PMs
    Standard Monster / Villager
    You are a Monster!

Long ago, monsters were run into the underground and sealed in by a magic barrier. Despite this, monster civilization has continued to move along in peace. But now, a threat to that peace has entered the monsters' underground realm. Monsters have begun to disappear, and rumors have been swirling that humans have entered the underground to wipe out the rest of the monsters. With the potential threats lurking in the underground, the future of monsterkind looks uncertain. All you want is for peace to return, and to return to the calm, quiet life you had before - it's time to summon up your bravery to do what it takes to make it happen.

Abilities: You are a standard monster. You start the game with SL 1, HP 12, and AT 3. Every time you gain 1 SL, you also gain 3 HP and 2 AT. You have standard Fight and Support abilities.

Win Condition: Peace Returns to the Underground - Monsters win when all threats to peace have been removed from the underground, returning monsterkind to its previous way of life.

Masons
    Abilities: You have a friend. You know for a fact that Delmain / DasUberEdward is a monster who has the same goals as you.

Win Condition: Peace Returns to the Underground - Monsters win when all threats to peace have been removed from the underground, returning monsterkind to its previous way of life.

Pacifist / Minor Guardian
    However, you also want to ensure that people are able to get back to their way of life after peace returns. Perhaps you can support others in your own way, to make sure that monsterkind is not irreparably changed by the crisis it currently finds itself in.

Abilities: Your Support ability also brings protection. When you take a Support action, you also grant your target DF equal to your SL. Each point of DF negates 1 AT from each Fight action on that target. For example, if there are three players who target your Supported player, the total AT is reduced by 3 for your starting SL of 1.

Win Condition: Innocence Retained - At the end of the game, at least 1/3 of all monster players who were not eliminated have SL 1.

Militarist
    However, you also want to make sure that monsterkind is ready for the next time the humans invade. Monsters have gotten soft in the years stuck underground. Make sure that they learn from the crisis that is currently at hand.

Abilities: You are stronger than other monsters. You start the game with SL 2, HP 15, and AT 5. Every time you gain 1 SL, you also gain 3 HP and 2 AT. You have standard Fight and Support abilities.

Win Condition: Towards a Stronger Future - At the end of the game, at least 1/3 of all monster players who were not eliminated have SL greater than 1.

Scientist / Minor Seer
    Abilities: Your Support ability can be used for information gains. Instead of lending HP and AT to your target, you can instead learn your target's action for the night: either Fight or Support. A second Support on the same target will reveal their Action as well as their race (monster or human).

Show-off (unused since I didn't think of it until after the game started)
    Win Condition: Behind Me, Everyone! - Be supported at least 30 times before the end of the game.

Special Attacker / Vigilante
    Fortunately, you've got an ace in your pocket for scenarios like this. It's a power that you've never wanted to use, but critical times call for critical measures.

Abilities: You have a special attack. Instead of a standard Fight action, you can use a Special Attack on a target. This eliminates the target, regardless of HP. However, no SL can be gained by any player from eliminating another player in this way.

Boss Monster / Special Victory Information
    You already know too well the potentials that humans have. In your younger days, you encountered a human who stumbled into the underground. Weak from their wanderings, they expired in your company, and to your surprise you were imbued with their strength. A thought entered your mind - if humans created the barrier, couldn't they also break it? Perhaps this is an opportunity to try your theories out...

Abilities: You have gained a human soul. You start the game with SL 2, HP 15, and AT 5. Every time you gain 1 SL, you also gain 3 HP and 2 AT. You have standard Fight and Support abilities.

Human souls are attracted to soul energy. When SL is distributed after Fight results, any player with a human soul gets preferential treatment for SL gains, even if they are not chronologically first in the Fight order. When making a Fight action, please note if you want preferential treatment, standard SL distribution (like a normal monster), or complete deferral (like a normal monster).

You know a way to destroy the magic barrier. When selecting a Support action, the Barrier can be targeted. If all players with human souls have performed the same action, then the seal on the barrier can be released.

OR
    Warmth of the Sun - Monsters win if the magic barrier is broken, freeing monsterkind from the underground.

Survivor
    ... or you would, if you could muster any effort at all.

Abilities: You are a standard monster. You start the game with SL 1, HP 12, and AT 3. Every time you gain 1 SL, you also gain 3 HP and 2 AT. You have standard Fight and Support abilities.

Win Condition: Living is Everything - Survive to the end of the game. You do not count for or against any player's win condition.

Chaos-Seeker
    ... except that you've hated the current situation for as long as you can remember. It's been too peaceful, too boring. And the underground isn't getting any bigger, yet there's still just as many monsters packed inside as always. If humans are running around the underground causing a mess, you want in on helping them clear things out just a bit. Or at least you want an excuse to get with your fellow monsters to rile things up a bit.

Win Condition: Space for Every Monster - Seven or fewer players remain in play at the end of the game.

Standard Human / Mafia
    You are a Human!

You thought that the legends of monsters were just stories, tales to keep kids in line and to stir the human spirit and imagination. Little did you and your friends think that taking a wrong turn on the mountain trail would end up with a one-way trip into the dens of the monsters themselves. Now, it's a survival mission to find a way back out from the underground to get back home. Fortunately, the legends also tell of a way to get home, through one of the magic barriers used to seal the monsters in. It'll take all of your strength to push your way through: can you and your friends make your exit from the underground safely?

Abilities: You have a human soul. Human souls are stronger than monsters': even though you start at SL 1, you have a starting HP 15 and AT 5. Every time you gain 1 SL, you gain 3 HP and 2 AT.

Human souls are attracted to soul energy. When SL is distributed after Fight results, any player with a human soul gets preferential treatment for SL gains, even if they are not chronologically first in the Fight order. When making a Fight action, please note if you want preferential treatment, standard SL distribution (like a normal monster), or complete deferral (like a normal monster).

Human souls can go through the barrier. When selecting a Fight action, the Barrier can be targeted. All players with human souls sum up their SL against the barrier; if the total SL is more than 4 * (# of players + 1), then the players with human souls escape the underground. For example, if one player with a human soul wants to escape, they need SL 8. If three players wish to escape, their combined SL needs to be 16 or higher. You may also escape if all players with human souls simultaneously Fight the Barrier, and the number of remaining other players is equal to or less than the number of non-escaping players.

You have friends. You know that Ardor, Baidol, Capfalcon, discrider, and Matev are all humans.

Win Condition: Escape to the Surface - Any player that escapes from the underground will be victorious.
    OR
    Bonds of Friendship - If you are eliminated, you are still victorious if all non-eliminated friends escape simultaneously.

Hidden Mechanics: After each member of the group was eliminated, the remaining members would each gain 1 AT as compensation. At three members left, one member would be allowed to double their AT; at two members left, both members would be allowed to double their AT.

Fallen Human / Serial Killer
    You are a Human!

Centuries in the past, the humans defeated the monsters in a great war. As a result of the war, the monsters were banished underground, and sealed behind a magic barrier. Nobody's seen the monsters since, but who knows when they'll come back to exact their revenge? You've tasked yourself with the job of cleansing the underground preemptively to make things safe for all humankind and found a way into the monsters' space. With determination in your heart, it's time to see your mission through.

Abilities: You have a human soul. Human souls are stronger than monsters': at SL 1, you have a starting HP 15 and AT 5. Every time you gain 1 SL, you gain 3 HP and 2 AT. You start the game at SL 2 (giving you HP 18, AT 7).

You have a special attack. Instead of a standard Fight action, you can use a Special Attack on a target. This eliminates the target, regardless of HP. However, no SL can be gained by any player from eliminating another player in this way.

You have determination. The first time you would be eliminated from the game for any reason, the result is ignored. In the case of potential elimination by the vote, the second-place player will be eliminated instead.

Win Condition: Total Destruction - The underground is emptied of its inhabitants. You may not take any other potential win conditions.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Props go to Austin and kime for telling the thread who the seer was :P
    Also apparently Egos and I were bent on mutually assured destruction up until another mafia distracted him.

Yup had orders on you for suggesting the non-colored results were because of a one time ability ;-) But then Falcon did this vote and TCK voted for him...so was curious. And you seemed more invested in the game.

Sadly I thought my non-voting would get you guys to leave me alone, as it would seems like non-voters would be easy bw targets. And I didn't think Due or GG were guilty anyway :|
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    Sorry Heffling. Nothing personal.

I haven't been around for a while, but I know the first the second A rule of phalla is "Suffer not the RNGer to live!"

DasUberEdward.

@MrBlarney in your narration you mentioned a more talkative one and one that was less talkative. I assume that was a reference to me posting more than Falcon (who I only saw post once)- or did this have to do with characters in-game?

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    :(
    Darn special attack.
    I had 36 HP when I was escaping!

discrider on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Also I'm happy at least @Martoss and @Lonelyahava picked up on who I was...and they weren't mafia O_o

Anyway , thanks for hosting. Mr.B

Egos on