[Phalla]tale - Final Day: The End

MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
edited June 2016 in Critical Failures
Phallatale_Logo.png~original

PHALLATALE
A MrBlarney Game
Based on Undertale, by Toby Fox

Scenario

Many generations ago, the world was populated by two races: the humans and the monsters. However, conflict broke out between the races. After a devastating war, the humans proved victorious, driving the monsters underground. Sealed in by a magic barrier, monsterkind would no longer see the true, unfiltered sun and sky. But the monsters would gain peace, and were no longer bothered by humankind.

However, word has spread that humans have re-entered the underground. As if to make things worse, monsters have begun to disappear. Could the humans have finally come back to eradicate the remainders of monsterkind? An uncertain time has returned to the monsters' world...

Game Overview

Genre: Battle Mechanics, ???

This is a Phalla game, Penny Arcade Forum's version of the party game Mafia. If this is your first game, it will be informative to visit the linked topic for some background information.

This game is inspired by the video game Undertale. No knowledge of the source game is required to play in this game.

Most players in the game will play the role of a monster living in the underground. In this game, each player has the ability to take additional actions beyond public discussion and voting that can potentially eliminate players from the game. Beyond this, no guidance is provided regarding the game's structure.

Statistics and Actions

Each player in the game has two main statistics: HP, AT. The value of these statistics is primarily affected by the player's strength of soul, SL. Most players start the game at SL 1, HP 12, and AT 3. Each point of SL increases HP by 3 and AT by 2 (i.e. a player at SL 2 has 15 HP and 5 AT). Each player may take one action per night; most players have the following two actions available:
  • Fight - Target one other player. If the total sum of AT targeted on that player across all Fight actions meets or exceeds their HP, then that player is eliminated from the game. Otherwise, there is no effect. If a player is eliminated from the game, then the first person to target them chronologically increases their SL by one (with corresponding increases to HP and AT). A player may also elect to not increase their SL when submitting their Fight order. In this case, the next person to have targeted the eliminated player will increase their SL. It is possible for all Fighting players to forego gaining SL, in which case the potential soul gain is permanently lost.
  • Support - Target one other player. They temporarily gain HP and AT equal to your SL, while you temporary reduce your HP and AT by the same. HP and AT levels will return to normal at the end of the night, unless the target is eliminated. In this case, the lent strength is lost with the eliminated player. Support actions take priority over Fight actions in resolution order.

Actions are submitted via Private Message.

Voting

If fighting is not your style, then you can rely on the Royal Guard to take action to capture other players until the situation in the underground is resolved. Vote for the player who you find most suspicious in bold red with "!vote for <player name>" or similar phrase. You may retract a vote by posting "!retract vote for <player name>" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or change your vote by making another one in bold red. Do not, under any circumstance, edit a post that has a vote. If an edit is necessary, make a new post instead. The player who receives the most votes will be taken into custody by the Royal Guard, and thus will be eliminated from the game. Should there be a tie in the vote, then only the first person to hit the tied value will be eliminated. The vote acts first in each day's resolution, before any player actions are resolved.

Voting will normally close each day at 10PM PDT / 1AM EDT / 5AM UTC; any actions before the hour (x:59) will count, any actions on the hour and later (x:00) will not. However, if a player votes within five minutes of the vote close, the close time will extend to five minutes after that player votes. All votes and actions will count up to the new, revised close time. Each player may make only one vote and one action after the normal vote close: any further revisions will not count. The close time can be extended multiple times if different players make revisions during the bonus period.

Example: If I vote at x:58, then the vote close will be extended such that actions made at x:03 of the next hour or earlier will count; actions made at x:04 or later will not. If someone makes a vote before x:03, the vote close will be extended to five minutes after their vote; I can make only one change in vote and action during the whole extended period.

Signing Up

Sign up with the phrase "I !sign up" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or other bright, easily visible color to ensure that your intent to play is acknowledged. Signups will be open until Sunday, June 5, 9PM PDT / Monday, June 6, 12AM EDT / 4AM UTC. Depending on signup numbers, there may be a 24-hour or longer extension to the signup period. There is no maximum nor minimum cap for signups for this game.

Inactivity

It is expected that players do at least two of the following three things each day to be considered sufficiently active: make at least two posts, make a vote, submit private actions. A warning will be sent on the first day that this requirement is not met, and a replacement will be made on the second consecutive day of inactivity or third day overall. If there are no replacements available, then the inactive player will be eliminated from the game.

Other Rules

Standard Phalla rules apply: no sharing of host-provided PMs via screenshots or direct quotation. However, information may be shared indirectly, such as through rephrasing. You may not add new players to preexisting private conversations after the first message - start a new conversation instead. No anonymous contact is allowed. All messages must be traceable to a player in the game. Once you are eliminated, you may not make any more game conversation with players remaining in the game.

If any players create "proboards" for private communication or interesting conversations including more than two players, please send links for them to the host.

Clarifications

Any questions about the general game rules may be made by highlighting the question in bold darkorange text. Answers will be posted in the thread and collected in the below section. Player-specific inquiries that are not addressed in the general rules may be asked via PM to the host.

Questions and Answers

Q. Does being the first to fight a player, who then gets eliminated through some means other than being fought, still grant a SL?
A. No. Also, when a player is eliminated, the eliminated player is skipped over for the purposes of distributing SL from Fighting.

Q. What determines the order of attack resolution, and is SL gain skipped even in prior battles if you die in later battles, even though that SL gain might have saved you from dying?
A. All Fight actions are resolved simultaneously, as is distribution of SL. For example, let's say A, B, and C Fight X, in that order, and that this is enough to eliminate X. Player A would normally gain one SL, but if A is also eliminated in the same night, then B would gain the SL instead. If Player A was eliminated due to Fighting, the potential gain of SL would not help them survive.

Q. If a player is supported, do they get information about who supported them, or how many people provided support?
A. As part of their daily reports, players that are supported only know that they were supported by at least one player, but not which player(s) provided support. Similar reporting applies for Fight targetings.

Players

AustinP0027
Assuran Fry
H3Knuckles
Invictus
JusticeForPluto
LostNinja
McKid
Delmain Megafrost
DasUberEdward Preda
premium

Eliminated Day 1
Bedlam
Gizzy
JPants
Virgil_Leads_You

Eliminated Day 2
Capfalcon
Egos
Grunt's Ghosts
JaysonFour

Eliminated Day 3
Heffling
Matev
Zombie Hero

Eliminated Day 4
Ardor
Baidol
Sir Fabulous

Eliminated Day 5
Auralynx
cj iwakura
I needed a gnome to post.
Phyphor

Eliminated Day 6
38thDoe
Locus
Martoss
Raiden333
SLyM - Inactivity

Eliminated Day 7
Cantide
Cythraul - Inactivity
kime
Phaserlight

Eliminated Day 8
chamberlain
Dragon6860
MrTLicious
The Cow King

Eliminated Day 9
Brody
lonelyahava
shalmelo

Eliminated Day 10
discrider
enlightenedbum Teucrian
WACriminal

Results for Day 11 and end of game can be found in the Final Day link below.

Signups were open until Sunday, June 5, 9PM PDT / Monday, June 6, 12AM EDT / 4AM UTC. There was no maximum nor minimum cap for signups for this game.

Game Links

Day 1: Breaking the Peace
Day 2: Fight or Flight
Day 3: Early Judgement
Day 4: Tensions Holding Steady
Day 5: Falling Down
Day 6: Sweeping Out
Day 7: Cold Trail
Day 8: Closer to the End
Day 9: Another Notch Tighter
Day 10: Rebellion
Day 11: Malevolent Presence
Final Day: The End

Host Notes
Game Information

4463rwiq7r47.png
MrBlarney on

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    !signup what

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Fuck it, there's no new content for me to teach and my thesis is handed in.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MartossMartoss Registered User regular
    Is this the skeleton dating simulator I've heard so much about?

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I'm game!

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Question: Can I play!

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Will this have spoilers of the game?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Let's kill each other!

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    Will this have spoilers of the game?
    Only if the players post them.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
  • Options
    McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    I'm filled with determination!

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I'm not normally a fan of battle mechanics in phalla, but I love the theme, so what the hell, Let's lay on the floor and feel like garbage.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Gizzy

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Sign me up!

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I am filled with Determination.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    signup!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    This is a signup post

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    So this is the line for a genocide run, right guys? Right?

(I know next to nothing about Undertale please don't hurt me)

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Matev wrote: »
    So this is the line for a genocide run, right guys? Right?

(I know next to nothing about Undertale please don't hurt me)

I only want to hurt you because your sig doesn't have a link to your steam profile so I can't gift you Undertale.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Should be my old standby of sithspawn2k. No promises if/when I'll get around to playing it if you give me it.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Discrider is tired of your aimless shenanigans.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    tra la la

beware the man who votes in hands

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Does being the first to fight a player, who then gets eliminated through some means other than being fought, still grant a SL?

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I'm really good at being mafia, guys. Let me be mafia again!

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    !Signup

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I have a very boring work week coming up. This'll help!

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Blarney Phalla? I'm in.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Signing up hoping no one posts game spoilers, I've heard a lot of good things about it.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Love Undertale, Love Blarney games, Double Love Undertale Blarney games.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    SIgnup!

Steam profile
  • Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    Reserve. 12-hour flight next week makes it difficult for me to commit to game.

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Sign me up!

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    Does being the first to fight a player, who then gets eliminated through some means other than being fought, still grant a SL?

No. Also, when a player is eliminated, they are skipped over for the purposes of distributing SL from Fighting.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    I would like to !sign up, please.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I'd like to make a reserve-ation

Fry on
  • Options
    PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    ! Sign Up

I'm sorry I don't know how to do the color thing.

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    ! Sign Up

[ color=green ] Sign Up [ / color ]

Without the spaces in the brackets. To vote you'll do color=red

LostNinja on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    LostNinja wrote: »
    ! Sign Up

[b][color=limegreen]I would like to sign up![/color][/b]

Copy and paste the above.

Without the line number. Not sure why that is showing up.

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    Oh, I see now!

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Options
    ! Sign Up

Show off bringing the bold and lime :razz:

• Options
    ! Sign Up

Show off bringing the bold and lime :razz:

What can I say? I'm an overachiever. I'll probably even read the OP before the game starts this time. Always gotta raise that bar higher :P

Steam profile