As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Come For Advice, Stay For the Coil Whine.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    I guess I found the source of my gpu keeping its fans spinning slowly after shutdown. Seems like I have an overheating problem. The heat seems pretty local, though... the case is warm on top, but the side where the gpy fans are blowing at is cold.

No idea how to fix it yet, maybe my fractal 500 case is just too small. Or is there more than one way to plug in a gpu?

err, check your temperatures on the GPU itself, because honestly, that doesn't make a ton of sense.

The MSI tool puts it around 70C under heavy load. That was right before the screen went black. I guess thats not super high, though.

Im trying to start with a quick fix with older drivers and run tests to narrow down the problem.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I guess I found the source of my gpu keeping its fans spinning slowly after shutdown. Seems like I have an overheating problem. The heat seems pretty local, though... the case is warm on top, but the side where the gpy fans are blowing at is cold.

No idea how to fix it yet, maybe my fractal 500 case is just too small. Or is there more than one way to plug in a gpu?

err, check your temperatures on the GPU itself, because honestly, that doesn't make a ton of sense.

The MSI tool puts it around 70C under heavy load. That was right before the screen went black. I guess thats not super high, though.

Im trying to start with a quick fix with older drivers and run tests to narrow down the problem.

That sounds like a PSU problem to me, what kind of PSU do you have?

Although I dont know why that would make your fans spin after shutdown.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Delmain wrote: »
    You'd have to be real-precise with the fiberglass. The #1 loss of pressure in a watercooling set-up like that is going to come from turbulence created when there are differences in alignment. Not to mention 90 degree hard turns are the absolute worst for water cooling.
    ||||    ||||
     ||||    ||||       // Non-insignificant pressure loss to turbulence here
    ||||    ||||
    ||||    ||||
    ||||    ||||||||
    ||||                // Awful pressure loss on this corner
    ||||||||||||||||

I did some math on it. I think I'll need to use tubes, but if I put the fittings from the tubes to the plexiglass (I'm planning on using the window as a watercooling channel... pure aethetics, mind) at a 30 degree angle the pressure drop should be negligible, at least using Bernoullis.

Basically
    ||||    ||||
    ||||    ||/
    ||||    |/
    ||||    /

Alternatively, I can put the fittings at the top or bottom of the plexi, negating any real issues (except space).

The real challenge I've found here has been finding a way to tap plexi for threading, because doing it directly to the plexi seems risky and trying to find good stuff to bond a lead/alumninum tap to the stuff seems just as unreliable.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    emp123 wrote: »

That sounds like a PSU problem to me, what kind of PSU do you have?

Although I dont know why that would make your fans spin after shutdown.

A Cooler Master GM Series 450M - 450W that should be enough for my gear.

I did notice rhat the heatsink was slightly blocked by some cables and the dvd-drive blocks the airflow as well. Im moving things around a bit and remove the dvddrive.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    70C under load is fine for a GPU, not even worth worrying about. And the top of your case being warm doesn't mean you have overheating, it means you have heat conduction, which is a good thing.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    MSI 1070 and a sweet 1440P monitor are now on their way!

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I was tempted by a 1080 FE at Best Buy today.

But I held strong, for I WILL HAVE THE 1080TI!!!!!!

• Options
    70C under load is fine for a GPU, not even worth worrying about. And the top of your case being warm doesn't mean you have overheating, it means you have heat conduction, which is a good thing.
    Right. Still not sure what is going on, but I just ran a stress-test for over an hour and the temperature stayed *very* stable at 69-70 °C at constant 100% load.

Will probably beg for advise later, if it pops up again.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Questions for any triple monitor users:

I'm considering getting a triple monitor setup for development work. I currently have one 1440p monitor (a dell U2715H), and am looking at possibly getting two more 1440p monitors. How important is the video card for running 3 monitors in desktop use? My current build has a Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro, which will most likely get replaced with a Vega or a 1080Ti in 2017. Is it going to have any issues running a triple 1440p desktop?

Also, I'm pretty sure my video card is not going to be able to run 3x1440p while gaming. Is it possible to just have games use the center monitor?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    You will need two GPUs.

• Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Questions for any triple monitor users:

I'm considering getting a triple monitor setup for development work. I currently have one 1440p monitor (a dell U2715H), and am looking at possibly getting two more 1440p monitors. How important is the video card for running 3 monitors in desktop use? My current build has a Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro, which will most likely get replaced with a Vega or a 1080Ti in 2017. Is it going to have any issues running a triple 1440p desktop?

Also, I'm pretty sure my video card is not going to be able to run 3x1440p while gaming. Is it possible to just have games use the center monitor?

I have a triple monitor setup with 2x 1080p's on the outside and a 1440p center. Game on the mid monitor and when I want to be productive I use all 3. Never had any issues and I currently use a 770gtx.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    You will need two GPUs.

doesn't nvidia have that fancy new tech for surround monitors?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    also I'm not sure the cost of 1440p monitors is justified for dev work. It's a lot of extra money for a bit more screen space.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    also I'm not sure the cost of 1440p monitors is justified for dev work. It's a lot of extra money for a bit more screen space.

I will ransom an entire orphanage if it will get me 20 more lines of code on the screen

Edit: actually who would I be getting the ransom money from
    FATAL FLAW

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    You will need two GPUs.

doesn't nvidia have that fancy new tech for surround monitors?

...maybe?

I haven't seen anything recent about that. But, full disclosure, I didn't look much further than some basics that may be out of date since I'm really only interested in going dual monitor.

• Options
    VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    PA, i'm starting to question how much longer my gaming system is going to seem up to par. I picked up a few new games in the summer sale and found I can no where near run them full bore anymore, some seem impacted much more than others. Some seem to run and look great; like DOOM for example but I'm forced to run it on mainly mid/high with only FXAA (vs Ultra) and sit at 45-80 with infrequent dips to 35 or so. I game exclusively from my couch on a 65" 1080p TV with an xbox wireless controller.

i5 3570k @ 4.2
    Asus GTX 770 (overclocked mildly)
    8gb DDR3 (middle range for speed, can't remember anymore)
    Asus P8Z77-V LE
    SSD's for all storage except music etc

Part of me is debating an upgrade to a 4k tv in the nearish future but I know it would leave me desperately in need of upgrades. Would a switch to a newer card (and the higher VRAM) be enough on my computer or is my processor finally getting left behind? My budget is not what it once was, but those new 480's or 1070's are definitely interesting!

Am I better off staying with my 1080p screen and getting a card to max things out at 60 constant or is the sacrifice to step up to 4k worth dropping a few shaders down?

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Varinn wrote: »
    PA, i'm starting to question how much longer my gaming system is going to seem up to par. I picked up a few new games in the summer sale and found I can no where near run them full bore anymore, some seem impacted much more than others. Some seem to run and look great; like DOOM for example but I'm forced to run it on mainly mid/high with only FXAA (vs Ultra) and sit at 45-80 with infrequent dips to 35 or so. I game exclusively from my couch on a 65" 1080p TV with an xbox wireless controller.

i5 3570k @ 4.2
    Asus GTX 770 (overclocked mildly)
    8gb DDR3 (middle range for speed, can't remember anymore)
    Asus P8Z77-V LE
    SSD's for all storage except music etc

Part of me is debating an upgrade to a 4k tv in the nearish future but I know it would leave me desperately in need of upgrades. Would a switch to a newer card (and the higher VRAM) be enough on my computer or is my processor finally getting left behind? My budget is not what it once was, but those new 480's or 1070's are definitely interesting!

Am I better off staying with my 1080p screen and getting a card to max things out at 60 constant or is the sacrifice to step up to 4k worth dropping a few shaders down?

Based on the results I've seen in benchmarks, I wouldn't game on a 4K anything without at least a GTX 1080, and even then you're probably turning some settings down.

Really though, I don't see the appeal of 4K TVs in general. In order to notice the difference, you've got to be sitting absurdly close! You'd have to be 4 ft away to tell the difference between 4k and Ultra HD, and 8 ft for Ultra HD to 1080p. At least with a large monitor it makes sense, because you're so close.

• Options
    And even in large monitors, I think 1440p@144+hz is going to look better than 4k@60hz

• Options
    VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I wish someone made 1440p tv's... I've never used a 4K tv before, let alone for gaming. I guess I just feel the added clarity would be a big help as I find some AA tends to make things a bit muddy and hard to on the eyes.

Would a 480 be a decent upgrade for 1080p performance? I believe most tv's are still 60hz despite all their BS marketing of 120/240/600hz are they not? Should I upgrade to a 4/8gb card and double my system ram with a 16gb kit?

Edit: I sit about 10-12ft away and can definitely see some of the baggies with the 65" 1080p. FXAA is horrible too but it's all I can run with reasonable rates

Varinn on
  • Options
    Varinn wrote: »
    I wish someone made 1440p tv's... I've never used a 4K tv before, let alone for gaming. I guess I just feel the added clarity would be a big help as I find some AA tends to make things a bit muddy and hard to on the eyes.

Would a 480 be a decent upgrade for 1080p performance? I believe most tv's are still 60hz despite all their BS marketing of 120/240/600hz are they not? Should I upgrade to a 4/8gb card and double my system ram with a 16gb kit?

Edit: I sit about 10-12ft away and can definitely see some of the baggies with the 65" 1080p. FXAA is horrible too but it's all I can run with reasonable rates

The 480 is about equal to a 970, so it's not a huge upgrade from a 770.

For a really meaty upgrade, you'd want a 1070.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Hahaha, I forgot which thread I'm in: price means nothing when you can make your CPU look like it has a supercharger hood scoop!

I was literally rocking this for a few years back there, before I knew enough to put together my own rigs. Funny thing is, it was a friend's dad who got/installed this for my old gaming PC.

cmjet4_pspc.jpg

EDIT: And yes, it sounded exactly how you'd assume sounds like. Came with its own PCI bracket-mounted RPM knob and everything.

Yup. I had the exact same cooler. and I would turn it up all the time. It was SUWEEET.

in other news, I was in vegas for a wedding and the microcenter had FE 1080s so I picked on of those up. Then back home I went to a best buy and saw they had rifts. Yay for impulse buys.

• Options
    I've read on a few forums now that SLI micro-stutter is pretty much a thing of the past. Any thoughts from ya'll? Seen some pretty neat results so far from sli'd 1080's with that fancy new bridge.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Last time I tried sli, I came to the realization that the level and combination of driver support and game development optimization makes achieving any value for the cost of an additional high end video card simply not worth it. Maybe if you happen to dump all your play time into the rare game that truly takes advantage it might be worth it. And maybe 4k and VR change this arithmetic.

For me, I'll continue on my path of just getting the best single card I can afford whenever I upgrade.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Yay, my Strix 1070 got a date from amazon, July 20th-27th. I can live with that.

Would still probably buy the 1080 if I could buuuut I'll take the card I can get.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I brought a 1080 from Best Buy but then I remember to be strong and stop by at another Best Buy on the drive back to return it.

• Options
    Last time I tried sli, I came to the realization that the level and combination of driver support and game development optimization makes achieving any value for the cost of an additional high end video card simply not worth it. Maybe if you happen to dump all your play time into the rare game that truly takes advantage it might be worth it. And maybe 4k and VR change this arithmetic.

For me, I'll continue on my path of just getting the best single card I can afford whenever I upgrade.

SLI doesn't yet work with any VR on the market, so there's no dice there.

• Options

SLI doesn't yet work with any VR on the market, so there's no dice there.

Good to know, i'll save my ducats for something else. Thanks as always folks!

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Hah well there you go then!

By the way, I ordered and have been using a Razer Deathadder Chroma for the last few days. It's very slick! If you don't want too many buttons on your mouse, I'm willing to say this one is a good choice.

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    Speaking of mice Best Buy has a sale on right now. I was able to pick up a Logitech g700s for half off. There weren't many deals as good as that but it might be worth taking a look.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Graaah. (Hi thread!) Can I just vent my frustration here real quick?

I've got a pile of shiny new hardware just sitting here, taunting me, ready to be installed... but I have to wait at least another few days to put it together, because the CPU water cooler apparently had a leak during transport, and refilling the reservoir myself voids the warranty, so now I have to RMA it. Graaah! So frustrating!

Rig specs for the curious:
    i7-6700K OC-pretested @4.7GHz
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 GPU
    64GB Ram
    Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming G1 mainboard
    512GB Samsung NVMe SSD
    6TB WD Black HDD

Compared to my old rig:
    i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz
    GTX 970
    32GB Ram
    Asus Z77 mobo

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    maybe not the right thread, but I have a feeling that anyone who might answer this in a different thread probably frequents this one:

any suggestions for a good KVM? preferably something that has a hardware option to switch inputs (i.e. not some key combination)? I'm really only interested in the K/M portion of this as I don't need to share a monitor.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hmm, apparently ASUS is not above marking up their unable-to-be-kept-in-stock-longer-than-2-minutes 1080 Strix card. Looks like in the past 24-hours, ASUS has upped the price of their two 1080 Strix cards (one OC'd the other isn't) by an additional $50...pushing the price on par (for the non-OC'd choice) with the FE and surpassing the FE (in the case of the OC'd card).

I'm a bit disappointed by that move (and no, it's not people selling their cards on the marketplace...this is strictly as "Sold by Newegg")

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Kashaar wrote: »

I've got a pile of shiny new hardware just sitting here, taunting me, ready to be installed... but I have to wait at least another few days to put it together, because the CPU water cooler apparently had a leak during transport, and refilling the reservoir myself voids the warranty, so now I have to RMA it. Graaah! So frustrating!

64GB Ram
    512GB Samsung NVMe SSD
    6TB WD Black HDD

Compared to my old rig:
    i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz
    GTX 970
    32GB Ram
    Asus Z77 mobo

I can babysit that 1080 for you while you wait. No problem.

Also what voltage are you pushing through a 6700k to get it to 4.7? I had real problems trying to push a 6600k too far without it turning into a tiny sun, so I settled on 4.1 ghz with an undervolt to keep it cool.

Edit: Hrm, interesting Asus is pushing up the cost of their 1080s. At least that makes my 1070 purchase more value than it was before today. Still worried about hitting x1440 in the most demanding games if I decide to jump to a 27" monitor, but we'll see.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Knight_ wrote: »

64GB Ram
    512GB Samsung NVMe SSD
    6TB WD Black HDD

Compared to my old rig:
    i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz
    GTX 970
    32GB Ram
    Asus Z77 mobo

Also what voltage are you pushing through a 6700k to get it to 4.7? I had real problems trying to push a 6600k too far without it turning into a tiny sun, so I settled on 4.1 ghz with an undervolt to keep it cool.

Edit: Hrm, interesting Asus is pushing up the cost of their 1080s. At least that makes my 1070 purchase more value than it was before today. Still worried about hitting x1440 in the most demanding games if I decide to jump to a 27" monitor, but we'll see.

This isn't installed yet, so we'll see... on the box it says 1.4V @ 4700, 1.34V @ 4600, 1.28V @ 4500. This is a service by my favorite German hardware retailer, who sell overclock-pretested CPUs at a markup, giving retailer warranty to make up for the manufacturer warranty you lose by overclocking. So I pay a bit extra, but still get 2 years full warranty even though I'll overclock it. My old i5-3570K was the same deal - 3.5GHz OC'd to 4.4GHz by them, with warranty. No issues in the now roughly 3 years that I've used it.

Anyway! Just spent the best part of the day moving my old hardware to the new case - only to find out that my CPU cooler is too tall to fit.
    To clarify: my old case is awesome, and I want to put the new hardware in there - so I bought a cheap case to fit the old hardware. Made sure it had enough room for the GPU, but failed to ensure the CPU cooler would fit...
    So, open side panel it is! Or perhaps some saw work and duct tape?

Kashaar on
    Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Huh. That's an interesting service. 1.4v through Skylake is a bit scary for me, but I'm going soft in my old age. Certainly don't push hardware to BSOD like I used to.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

64GB Ram
    512GB Samsung NVMe SSD
    6TB WD Black HDD

Compared to my old rig:
    i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz
    GTX 970
    32GB Ram
    Asus Z77 mobo

I really wouldn't worry about the 1070 handling 1440p. Basically every benchmark I've seen for them shows >60 FPS with max graphics average. You might dip below 60 FPS at minimum, but it's not like you'll be staggering around at 10 FPS because you didn't put Minesweeper on Min graphics. The 1070 looks like it can handle 4k gaming, even, if you don't mind losing some fancy textures.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    What's a reasonable monitor to pair with a 1070? I looked for a site that has recent picks, and came up with this site. So maybe entry-level 1440p fits my profile? I'm not a twitch gamer at all, and am building this PC mostly for VR. Their recommendation is the Acer G257HU -- reasonable? It's $260 at Amazon, which is about half what I'd mentally budgeted.

• Options
    Orogogus wrote: »
    What's a reasonable monitor to pair with a 1070? I looked for a site that has recent picks, and came up with this site. So maybe entry-level 1440p fits my profile? I'm not a twitch gamer at all, and am building this PC mostly for VR. Their recommendation is the Acer G257HU -- reasonable? It's $260 at Amazon, which is about half what I'd mentally budgeted.

That monitor doesn't have G sync, which is... important? It reduces screen tearing, which I've never personally witnessed (1070 scheduled to arrive tomorrow despite sitting at Fedex for the last 24 hours) but apparently is a bad thing. The price premium I've seen for G sync monitors is around $200 extra.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Most of the time I see screen tearing is during a game with super high framerates. I get around that by not having a super badass computer.

Number One Tricky
This discussion has been closed.