Options

[PC Build Thread] Come For Advice, Stay For the Coil Whine.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Hahaha, I forgot which thread I'm in: price means nothing when you can make your CPU look like it has a supercharger hood scoop!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any recommended wireless routers? We don't game much, but occasionally stream video on 2-3 devices at the same time. I think my internet will be 50 mb/sec.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    BigJoe1981 wrote: »
    I have a question similar to this. I have a Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2V motherboard and my wife bought me a Radeon R7 265 graphics card for my birthday. My question is when I put the card into the mobo, all I get is a black screen. Ive put the drivers disc in and have all the drivers needed but still nothing. I know that my motherboard is an older one as I bought the PC in 2011 from newegg. So is it possible that my card just isn't compatable with my mobo?

Cross-posted from necro'd H&A thread

@BigJoe1981

The motherboard is only PCI-E 2.0, but that shouldn't be an issue for operability.

Do you have the separate power connection to the GPU from the power supply?

Do you have your onboard graphics disabled in the BIOS?

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Cauld wrote: »
    Does anyone have any recommended wireless routers? We don't game much, but occasionally stream video on 2-3 devices at the same time. I think my internet will be 50 mb/sec.

I think pretty much anything will work. It mostly comes down to signal strength or 802.11 standard you want to use.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Knight_ wrote: »
    They usually have quite a backplate. My NH-D14 was in use on an Ivy Bridge machine that ran pretty hot under load because Ivy was a painful chip to overclock and I never had any problems with it for 3 years. Motherboard did eventually die, but due to user inflicted water damage.

RAM height is an issue though, yea. You can't use anything with huge heat spreaders, pretty much locked into standard profile or lower. Still, that's not really a big deal since huge finned heatspreaders on RAM are silly.

They're certainly not for everyone, but if you're a fanatic about PC noise (I own 3 SSDs and a NAS because HDD spinup is annoying) while also wanting excellent performance under overclocked load, I think they have a nice spot.

Yeah. I had a Nehalem system with a Thermalright HR-01, which was great.

When I built my Haswell system, I tried the CM 212 Evo that everyone raves about and came away incredibly disappointed in comparison, so I replaced it with a Noctua NH-U14 and am much happier (at 3x the cost, but hey).

a5ehren on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

My general recommendation is the Archer C7. The 2.4GHz range is really good on it, and it has fast 5GHz bands if really needed.

• Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

My general recommendation is the Archer C7. The 2.4GHz range is really good on it, and it has fast 5GHz bands if really needed.

The Nighthawk ac1900 (r7000) has served me pretty darn well. Dual band with nice management software and decent range (though I still use an extender to reach downstairs). Well reviewed on the major e-tailer sites as well.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    KeamienKeamien Registered User regular
    I just upgraded for the first time in what feels like forever.

Went from i3-2120 and gtx560ti

to

i7 6700k and gtx1070 with a 2560x1080 monitor I got during black Friday.

Feels good, man.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    BigJoe1981 wrote: »
    I have a question similar to this. I have a Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2V motherboard and my wife bought me a Radeon R7 265 graphics card for my birthday. My question is when I put the card into the mobo, all I get is a black screen. Ive put the drivers disc in and have all the drivers needed but still nothing. I know that my motherboard is an older one as I bought the PC in 2011 from newegg. So is it possible that my card just isn't compatable with my mobo?

Cross-posted from necro'd H&A thread

@BigJoe1981

The motherboard is only PCI-E 2.0, but that shouldn't be an issue for operability.

Do you have the separate power connection to the GPU from the power supply?

Do you have your onboard graphics disabled in the BIOS?

Dumb question but do you have your monitor plugged into your video card or your motherboard? Check your power connections to the card as well, make sure they're secure.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

Agreed, C7 seems to be the consensus price/performance ratio choice.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Agreed, C7 seems to be the consensus price/performance ratio choice.

Awesome, thanks for the quick answers!

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    The beast is complete.

Old system: i7-3770, GTX 670, Samsung 1680x1050 (226w)

New system: i5-6600k, STRIX GTX 1080 OC, X34 Predator (3440x1440)

sweet holy jesus

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    The C7 is pretty nice, although I'll rep for ASUS and say that I love my:

AC66U and I've seen it go for $100US quite a bit in brick and mortar stores, and Amazon will also have it priced in line with the Archer from time to time.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Durinia wrote: »
    The beast is complete.

Old system: i7-3770, GTX 670, Samsung 1680x1050 (226w)

New system: i5-6600k, STRIX GTX 1080 OC, X34 Predator (3440x1440)

sweet holy jesus

So jealous you managed to track down a strix 1080. I hate GPU launches.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I would worry about the damage/potential for motherboard cracking from an lolhueg heatsink like that, over time.

I don't think it would crack but the constant heating and cooling cycles from use would probably cause a lot of flex that doesn't seem like it would be a good thing over time.

So actually, lately I've noticed a lot of flexing/even plastic popping type sounds coming from my case when my GTX 980 Ti heats up. That's more than a little offputting, but I don't really know what I can do about it.

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Hahaha, I forgot which thread I'm in: price means nothing when you can make your CPU look like it has a supercharger hood scoop!

I was literally rocking this for a few years back there, before I knew enough to put together my own rigs. Funny thing is, it was a friend's dad who got/installed this for my old gaming PC.

cmjet4_pspc.jpg

EDIT: And yes, it sounded exactly how you'd assume sounds like. Came with its own PCI bracket-mounted RPM knob and everything.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    MSI gtx 1070s were back in stock at newegg.ca this morning so in an impulse ordered one.

Now to build a new PC that can go around it over the next week or so.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular

I was literally rocking this for a few years back there, before I knew enough to put together my own rigs. Funny thing is, it was a friend's dad who got/installed this for my old gaming PC.

cmjet4_pspc.jpg

EDIT: And yes, it sounded exactly how you'd assume sounds like. Came with its own PCI bracket-mounted RPM knob and everything.

I'm sorry, but this is quite possibly the most impractical and SWEET looking CPU air coolers ever. I SERIOUSLY want to build a 50's "Golden Years / Era of Flight" style rig with something like this as the center piece now.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    MSI gtx 1070s were back in stock at newegg.ca this morning so in an impulse ordered one.

Hm, they are. Is this the video card that I should go in on to build a new system, or are we still waiting for some better version right around the corner? Is now a good time to order parts and get started?

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »

Hm, they are. Is this the video card that I should go in on to build a new system, or are we still waiting for some better version right around the corner? Is now a good time to order parts and get started?

gtx 1070 is brand new and a pretty sweet spot for price/performance. Just don't get a "founder's edition" card.

Now is a great time to order up a new PC.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    FeloniousmozFeloniousmoz Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    The C7 is pretty nice, although I'll rep for ASUS and say that I love my:

AC66U and I've seen it go for $100US quite a bit in brick and mortar stores, and Amazon will also have it priced in line with the Archer from time to time.

Another AC66U user here, it's great. Paired with a cheap PCIE antenna, it saved me the trouble of tearing my old house apart to run ethernet cable. YMMV of course given that it's wifi but can work flawlessly for gaming, etc. given the right conditions.

Feloniousmoz on
    Steam: FeloniousMoz
  • Options

Well, the 1080 is the new best GPU. In 6 months to a year we will probably see a 1080ti that will be the new best GPU. That said, unless you demand 144 fps @ 1440p a 1070 will do you just fine. Even a single 1080 can't do 60 FPS @ 4K ultra settings on every game. I am building my new PC around a 1070 (which looks to be shipping today, hurrah!) so that is what I recommend.

I may buy a 1080ti in a year or so if it can 4k like a boss, in which case I will either sell this 1070 or more likely move it to my current PC.

Oh, and the Steam Summer Sale is on now, so I can pick up a few games that would be unplayable on my current PC to test out the new card. So yeah, good time for a new PC IMO.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I think my speakers of twelve-some years are finally starting to give up the ghost.

Anybody know much about speakers these days?

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »

Well, the 1080 is the new best GPU. In 6 months to a year we will probably see a 1080ti that will be the new best GPU. That said, unless you demand 144 fps @ 1440p a 1070 will do you just fine. Even a single 1080 can't do 60 FPS @ 4K ultra settings on every game. I am building my new PC around a 1070 (which looks to be shipping today, hurrah!) so that is what I recommend.

I may buy a 1080ti in a year or so if it can 4k like a boss, in which case I will either sell this 1070 or more likely move it to my current PC.

Oh, and the Steam Summer Sale is on now, so I can pick up a few games that would be unplayable on my current PC to test out the new card. So yeah, good time for a new PC IMO.

Your could also potentially wait till the new AMD cards hit at the end of the month. They aren't supposed to be as fast as the new hotness from Nvidia but at $200 could be a great performance/$ in the 1080p market space.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    How does this look?

- The case I picked a few months ago, the NZXT S340 isn't in PCPartPicker's list any more (maybe due to incompatibility?)
    - On others' advice I decided to go SSD-only
    - Do I need the additional case fans? This was copied from someone else's build
    - I already have the EVGA G2 PSU since it was on sale last week
    - I also need a monitor. This is mostly for VR, but I'd still like a monitor that pairs reasonably well with the system
    - If anyone wants to recommend a desk and chair that would be handy, too. The room's only about 10x10, but there's nothing in it. Was worrying about HOTAS and wheel mounting and what would be comfortable, but that's off in the future.

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
    Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($4.75 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($144.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($64.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($316.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($619.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($87.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.88 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
    Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case Fan: Cooler Master SickleFlow 69.7 CFM 120mm Fan ($5.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case Fan: Cooler Master SickleFlow 69.7 CFM 120mm Fan ($5.99 @ NCIX US)
    Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1727.18

EDIT: 2 responses in a PCPartPicker thread I made both used a 1080 instead, and liquid CPU coolers, about which I know nothing.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    The price in that 1070 is ridiculous, but otherwise looks fine.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/h8NUtM4sexc

Man I hope radeon has something up their sleeves after this

• Options
    I'm kind of surprised NVIDIA hasn't paid Bethesda to use the line "better dead than red" from Fallout 3.

It would be nice if the video card competition weren't so one-sided as it currently appears.

• Options
    EDIT: 2 responses in a PCPartPicker thread I made both used a 1080 instead, and liquid CPU coolers, about which I know nothing.

Check out Jays video it's a pretty good starting point I think
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy9EqbKLDP0

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I'm kind of surprised NVIDIA hasn't paid Bethesda to use the line "better dead than red" from Fallout 3.

It would be nice if the video card competition weren't so one-sided as it currently appears.

I would hope Bethesda wouldn't be dick enough to try to enforce trademark on something that's been around since for the greater part of a century

but they also tried to strongarm "scrolls" so....

At any rate, I don't think Nvidia would really want to invoke that kind of retro nationalism for a cheeky marketing campaign.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    https://youtu.be/h8NUtM4sexc

Man I hope radeon has something up their sleeves after this

VR (and the associated performance) at $200. And red. Red is the best color.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I've been reading up on fabricating plexiglass blocks to use in the place of tubes. You can stack blocks of differing measurements together, glue them in the pattern you want, and create channels.

Apparently you can get pretty complex with the channels to help facilitate the cooling, but the measurements would always have to be custom.

As an aside I did my first plexiglass gluing today, which was totally different than I thought it would be. It's more like welding than actual gluing. I'm hoping I'm good enough by the time I create my watercooling solution to get these plexiglass channels made.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I guess I found the source of my gpu keeping its fans spinning slowly after shutdown. Seems like I have an overheating problem. The heat seems pretty local, though... the case is warm on top, but the side where the gpy fans are blowing at is cold.

No idea how to fix it yet, maybe my fractal 500 case is just too small. Or is there more than one way to plug in a gpu?

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    You'd have to be real-precise with the fiberglass. The #1 loss of pressure in a watercooling set-up like that is going to come from turbulence created when there are differences in alignment. Not to mention 90 degree hard turns are the absolute worst for water cooling.
    ||||    ||||
     ||||    ||||       // Non-insignificant pressure loss to turbulence here
    ||||    ||||
    ||||    ||||
    ||||    ||||||||
    ||||                // Awful pressure loss on this corner
    ||||||||||||||||

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    So I helped my little brother pick out parts for a new pc and put it together.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/tZhtJV

It booted up the first very first time. Yay! How does the build look? Is good?

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular

cmjet4_pspc.jpg

Yes! I had this exact thing in the first PC I ever made. No joke it sounded like a hairdrier on full blast. I had the wrong size bracket on the front of my pc, so the RPM control was blue tacked in place >_<

Ah nostalgia...

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    I guess I found the source of my gpu keeping its fans spinning slowly after shutdown. Seems like I have an overheating problem. The heat seems pretty local, though... the case is warm on top, but the side where the gpy fans are blowing at is cold.

No idea how to fix it yet, maybe my fractal 500 case is just too small. Or is there more than one way to plug in a gpu?

err, check your temperatures on the GPU itself, because honestly, that doesn't make a ton of sense.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Poketpixie wrote: »

Looks good here!

• Options

Yeah, the only change I'd have made was to switch out the 970 for a 1070 or RX 480, but those are tough to come by right now, especially what with the 480 not being out yet.

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular

Yeah, the only change I'd have made was to switch out the 970 for a 1070 or RX 480, but those are tough to come by right now, especially what with the 480 not being out yet.

We looked but Microcenter didn't have 1070s yet and judging by the range of prices on the 970/980s they had in stock(anywhere from reasonable to ridiculous) the 1070s probably wouldn't have fit the budget.

This discussion has been closed.