As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Super Best Friends Play] i have to arrest myself for honking my own dick

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VstwoyuDoXQ

No, dammit, it's a King Kong homage!

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Psycho Power, Satsui No Hadou, Agni's Blessing, and MUSCLE.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I'm really getting into the Catherine playthrough. It's one of those "Hey, a new episode. I better watch it right now!" Mostly it's interesting to see the Friends' reactions to the plot and conversations. I get the irritation that Woolie thinks this story is set in Japan, but "America as seen from Japan's perspective" is an easy thing to miss. And as much as I appreciate the game, I don't think they put enough work into getting America, culturally. This especially comes up with a major plot point later.

Spoiler: seriously a major plot point! Don't click if the Let's Play is your first experience with the game!
    When it's revealed that the curse is to some degree based on stopping the dropping birth rate, which isn't really a problem in America the way it is in Japan.

It's funny that they bring up a comparison to Deadly Premonition in this episode, since that feels like a much better attempt to capture American life.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I don't know why people keep saying the "It's not set in Japan" thing

I mean it's not impossible for there to be a delicious looking conveyor belt sushi restaurant in America, but i haven't seen one yet!

If that's actually a plot point it's not an obvious one

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    "Oh wow Erica sure is cool, I'm going to read up on her"

I, uh

Hrm
    This game doesn't seem to treat her being trans very god damn kindly

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Wyborn wrote: »

I, uh

Hrm

In what way? I don't feel fully informed, from what I read in the wiki entry.

Enlong on
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Re: Master Raven: Woolie can now play Laura, Ibuki, Taki, Wesley Snipes and Woolietta in Tekken 7, all at the same time. Can't wait to hear his comments in the podcast.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, Booker T is talking about Great Black Otaku

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    He's the Shogun of the ROW, which is the training center/mini-promotion that Booker runs. So of course he's a fan.

The bigger news is it seems like he's already off to the WWE! He had some sort of tryout a while back, so it must have gone pretty well.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I for one can't wait to hear Michael Cole yell out "He just blasted Cena with the Niko Niko Knee!!!!"

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

I, uh

Hrm

Huh?
    Well, the game doesn't treat anyone well.

Though I thought it was a interesting story beat for a post-op transwoman to suffer the nightmares. It shows that they're only concerned with biological sex, not gender.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    So, Lumo seems neat.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Re: SF5. I know the Story Mode directly sets up Third Strike, but there's still way too many leftover plot threads. They could totally do a 2nd story mode sequel/expansion.

But man, Liam O'Brien has the perfect Gill voice.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Enlong wrote: »

I, uh

Hrm

I mean this is only from me eyeballing the wiki, so I don't have a really wide perspective here, but
    When she starts sleeping with Toby she starts suffering the nightmares that only come to men who are being sexually dishonest

And the fact that she's trans and sleeping with someone who's inexperienced is used as a setup, with the particulars of their respective genitals being the punchline

And there's at least one ending where the credits list her under her dead name?

I dunno. A lot of this, combined with how Vincent's crew relates to her in general, seems to hint that the game treats her assigned gender as being more essential to her identity than how she actually identifies. And that's fucked up something fierce!

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    So, Lumo seems neat.
    It seems like a really cool and well thought out love letter to a kind of gameplay i actively dislike

Hard pass for me, but thumbs up on doing something nobody else is gonna do

• Options
    edited July 2016

I, uh

Hrm

I mean this is only from me eyeballing the wiki, so I don't have a really wide perspective here, but
    When she starts sleeping with Toby she starts suffering the nightmares that only come to men who are being sexually dishonest

And the fact that she's trans and sleeping with someone who's inexperienced is used as a setup, with the particulars of their respective genitals being the punchline

I dunno. A lot of this, combined with how Vincent's crew relates to her in general, seems to hint that the game treats her assigned gender as being more essential to her identity than how she actually identifies. And that's fucked up something fierce!

Oh, hm.
    Again, I'm not fully familiar with all the particulars of the story, but I'd come under the impression that the nightmares have a super-weird "morality" more focused on increasing the birth rate than cheating in particular. After all, Vincent begins getting the nightmares the day before he meets Catherine, which means the trigger was more likely his lack of decision with regards to moving forward with Katherine. But that she gets them at all, and not Toby, isn't a good sign for the writers.

I can't comment on the second bit. I'd need to see the scene in the game, though that doesn't sound good at all.

According to the wiki, it was the manual's credits that did that. Seems like the in-game credits refer to her as "Erica Anderson (Eric)", so that bit, at least, seems to prioritize the identity she identifies as, with her old identity as a side-note. Still, the manual should've had more editing.

All that said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turns out to be exactly as bad as it seems from our wiki trawls. Very few are the games that take any effort to portray that tastefully.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular

I, uh

Hrm

Not to mention
    the ending where Toby talks about how he regrets sleeping with her after finding out she's trans.

• Options
    Oh well fuck that, then. Should've known I was defending the indefensible.

Come on, Atlus, I know you can do... slightly better than that.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    At this point I'm kind of used to SMT treating poorly with my favorite characters (Erica, Naoto, I guess Isabeau made it out OK)

Issues of gender seem to be a sticking point, over and over

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    In Catherine, it's an issue of Sex, not Gender or Gender Identity. They're different things.

Edit: I will concede that Atlus hasn't been the best with gay or trans people lately. They were better back in the P2 days even.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I didn't even know Street Fighter actually had a story.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    So, Lumo seems neat.
    It seems like a really cool and well thought out love letter to a kind of gameplay i actively dislike

Hard pass for me, but thumbs up on doing something nobody else is gonna do

I have 0 nostalgia for that type of game, but thought that it looked really fun. I hope there's a demo sometime

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    I seriously cannot take Catherine. It's pushing all my buttons

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Today in Catherine, Woolie straight up murders two guys in cold blood.

• Options
    Moth 13 wrote: »

sheep blood runs hot

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Re: Erica
    It's a bit more complicated than that. She gets the nightmares because she's unable to get pregnant, but is in a relationship with a male who would otherwise be making babies. That's also the reason Toby doesn't get the nightmares; because he's no aware that Erica was trans at the time. Now, keep in mind this is the morality of the BAD GUYS justifying this, not to mention that the whole birth rate thing is a very Japan-centric problem that doesn't work well in the supposed American setting. On the other hand, this gives Erica the chance to factor heavily into the end of the game plotlines, more so than any of Vincent's other friends.

As for the thing about Toby regretting sleeping with her, the scene is a bit friendlier than people here might be imagining. He says he wants his "V-Card" back, but Erica is basically laughing it off, and there are implications that they're still together. Not GREAT, but a long ways away from, say, Ace Ventura.

I also have to give the game a little leeway given that it came out before transgender rights has the awareness it has now. I mean, Neil Gaiman is often hailed for his support of LGBT rights, but his most famous transgender character, Wanda, would probably have people up in arms if it came out today.

Back when I played the game the first time, I actually thought Erica's portrayal was mostly positive. Her long-term friends clearly have no problems with her, and she's better known for her playful personality and being the moral center of her friends than anything else. At the very least, I couldn't think of a better portrayal of a transgender character in video games at the time.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Liam needs to shave that tragedy off his face.

He's dangerously approaching Ward Rackley judging by the latest preview vid.

• Options
    Ar! Ar! Ar! Ar!

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular

Hardly the first time. Let's not forget the football incident!

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »

Hardly the first time. Let's not forget the football incident!

"Now, R1 is gonna--" *BANG!*

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Nier 17 contains Pat having a completely honest Big Liam Gasp reaction to something and it's amazing.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Big Liam Gasp is a sex move.

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »

I thought it was a bloodline technique

• Options
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »

I thought it was a bloodline technique

The two don't need to be mutually exclusive. Are you telling me you've never experienced a Gentle Fist?

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

Kind of afraid to watch this.

Since it's a crossover game there's probably going to be lots of spoilers for parts that haven't been adapted yet.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Kind of afraid to watch this.

Since it's a crossover game there's probably going to be lots of spoilers for parts that haven't been adapted yet.

there are a ton

• Options
    You could be a crazy person and read everything that's come out so far in a week or two

Not that i would know anything about that

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    You could be a crazy person and read everything that's come out so far in a week or two

You're next line is going to be...

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

You're next line is going to be...
    But will... he... UNDERSTAND?

This discussion has been closed.