As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Titanfall]

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Hm, the more I play the multiplayer test the more I'm going from Titanfall 2 to being one of my most anticipated games of the year to being something I'm going to wait and see on.

I loved Titanfall 1 but they've made a lot of changes that aren't to my personal liking. I'll keep an eye on the next test to see what, if anything has changed.

But I don't like that they've slowed the game down. I don't like that the map design doesn't seem to promote chain wall running like it used to. I don't like that there seems to be far less AI than before, even in the game mode that is focused on AI there are large periods where there are no AI on the map. I don't like that people don't build Titan charge automatically anymore. I liked that it gave every match a rhythm, you knew titans were coming, eventually, for EVERYONE, you just got to get yours early if you played well. I really liked the cycle of early game no one having titans, people trying to push an advantage with an early titan or two, the game completely changing when everyone got their titans up, and then how titan preservation became a big deal. I don't like that Titans don't have rechargeable shields anymore, I don't like that they start with no shields. I don't like how if you don't have a Titan the best thing you can do for your team is be a battery runner, it's kind of boring. I don't like how slow the titans are and how lacking they are in dashes. Not a particular fan of the new unlock system, not that I was in love with the old one either.

Something about Titanfall 2 feels very... lackluster and dull compared to Titanfall 1. It feels slow and lifeless. And it makes me sad.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Smart pistol was fun, but its a new game! I'll judge it on its own merits, not on the features I liked in other games.

Seriously. If Titanfall was being made or broken for you based on a single weapon--one that wasn't even usable inside the actual namesake Titans--it really sounds like you didn't actually like the game outside of one very specific circumstance.

Which is perfectly fine, not everyone liked the game. But especially in the wake of a heavy focus on a singleplayer experience, this really probably isn't the game for you... :(

I primarily used the smart pistol because it let me contribute meaningfully in a game where otherwise I was being sniped with an SMG by a small brown hopping thing at the edge of my vision before I even knew there was something there.

If all the game elements I used to basically make the game fun/playable for me (smart pistol, titan timer, AI hunting) have been deprecated in favor of bog-standard twitch shooter things because of "skillz", then yeah, I'm not even interested, and to hell with how much single-player there is. CoD has a campaign too, and I still don't give a crap about that.

A solid third (really one in three) of the game modes we have seen so far is entirely about slaughtering AI, with elite bounty AIs that are far more important than AI ever was in Titanfall 1. And killing AI fills your titan meter very fast.

And there is still the shotgun that promotes the "outflank rather than outaim" style of play (far better than the smart pistol ever did imo).

Given the presence of the grenade launcher, the shotgun, and a few mainstay automatics, there are lots of weapons that are very well-suited to killing AI grunts easily while wallrunning. Of course, none of them regularly let you take down five close-packed grunts (except the grenades launcher, where it is possible, but far less likely) in a single burst (though all of those weapons are also far better for killing pilots).

And while it is not literally attrition, there's still at least one game mode that rewards you if you only kill AI the entire match--though you need to return your bounties to be more effective.

I consider that more than adequate, but if you only want to hunt AI with a smart-pistol--well, you do have a lot of very similar options until the weapon's available to you. But I can see why some people would be annoyed: Battlefield 4 removed the ability for the medic-equipped soldier class to use AS VAL silenced carbines, which was by far my favorite configuration in BF3. I can see how learning that might lead someone to completely write of BF4 even if there are similar weapons.

Considering this is being advertised as pre-alpha--nevermind something that could be patched after release, which is the norm--I still think it's too early to completely write-off the game. Wait and see I suppose (which tends to be how people are responding with this specific grievance?).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So I just downloaded this, played some Bounty, killed a bunch of Grunts and Spectres, got a Titan and then super lasered an enemy Titan

It was pretty fun

That grapple hook is gonna be great once I get the hang of it

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    For something claiming to be pre-alpha it certainly looks great but trying to group up with others is almost impossible let alone getting into a game together.

Menu options just don't seem to work at all or do something completely different. Invite Network did the same as New Game yesterday I'm sure.

The game also seems to hit you with a tonne of info.

Nothing has put me off but I'd probably be more hyped if I'd been able to get in games with others.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    The removal of the smart pistol is just one aspect of the larger gameplay shift towards traditional PvP. The structure of the maps, the abundance of no-AI modes, the dearth of AI in the lone AI-focused mode, the Titan changes, the removal of burn cards, and so forth are major departures from the first game.

If the most popular modes in the first game were Pilot Hunter and Pilot Skirmish all these changes would make sense. But they most definitely weren't.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Burn cards were one of my favorite aspects of the first game.

EDIT: Fun (boring) fact: The background on my dashboard has been the picture from the 'All the Cards' achievement since background pics became a thing.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    The removal of the smart pistol is just one aspect of the larger gameplay shift towards traditional PvP. The structure of the maps, the abundance of no-AI modes, the dearth of AI in the lone AI-focused mode, the Titan changes, the removal of burn cards, and so forth are major departures from the first game.

If the most popular modes in the first game were Pilot Hunter and Pilot Skirmish all these changes would make sense. But they most definitely weren't.

I'm kinda worried that in chasing the popular shooters, TF2 Will lose sight of what made it fun and unique.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    I've only played a couple of matches in this beta but to be fair, they are gametypes I probably wouldn't play anyway (especially the pilot v. pilot mode). Next weekend is amped hardpoint (and I loved me some hardpoint) so I'm reserving final judgement until I have a go at it.

• Options
    jefe414 wrote: »
    I've only played a couple of matches in this beta but to be fair, they are gametypes I probably wouldn't play anyway (especially the pilot v. pilot mode). Next weekend is amped hardpoint (and I loved me some hardpoint) so I'm reserving final judgement until I have a go at it.

This weekend has amped hardpoint.

• Options
    Maybe I should play it some more then

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    The "amping" part of amped hardpoint isn't fun at all

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I hope Attrition isn't gone. Bounty Hunt is too grindy and restrictive.

I liked that Attrition was just team deathmatch with Titans.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The "amping" part of amped hardpoint isn't fun at all

I think its to support holding down a point but all it does is slow the game down.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    The whole timer vs score debate is kind of pointless since Titans are significantly different now anyway. They do more and last a lot longer.

Not really. Timer: I get one guaranteed, just slower. Score: I might not get one at all.

You have to be doing truly, truly terrible in a match to never get a titan in a match. Like bad enough that a Titan isn't going to do you much good.

Not a huge fan of the hardpoint mode. Capture is fun in shooters when the area you're capturing is sizable, like in Battlefield. Being a sitting duck capping a point is no fun.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I have no idea if I'm doing well or what's going on in these matches.

But I think it's fun?

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    The whole timer vs score debate is kind of pointless since Titans are significantly different now anyway. They do more and last a lot longer.

Not really. Timer: I get one guaranteed, just slower. Score: I might not get one at all.

You have to be doing truly, truly terrible in a match to never get a titan in a match. Like bad enough that a Titan isn't going to do you much good.

Not a huge fan of the hardpoint mode. Capture is fun in shooters when the area you're capturing is sizable, like in Battlefield. Being a sitting duck capping a point is no fun.

That... Yeah that's me. I don't play CoD, I don't play twitch shooters, the closest I get is Overwatch/Destiny, and being kind of acceptably crap at both.

It's not that the Titan would HELP. It's that "WOO GIANT ROBOT!", because parkouring off a building and having my robot buddy grab me out of the sky and stuff me in its face was awesome as crap and I felt cool, even if I then immediately blew up. (I then immediately blew up.)

• Options
    I have no idea if I'm doing well or what's going on in these matches.

But I think it's fun?

Oh don't get me wrong I was having fun with the demo but there are some minor annoyances I hope don't make it into the final version.

• Options
    Someone give me the dummies guide to batteries and energy.

• Options
    edited August 2016

When you jump on an enemy titan you'll yank a battery out of them, this does a chunk of damage to them and you can take that battery and give it to your or a team mates titan which will give a shield. The shield you get from a battery is the only way titans can replenish some health. If you're holding a battery (doesn't matter from where) when you jump on an enemy titan then you'll throw a grenade in their chassis for damage instead. It's a very gameified mechanic, as a titan will always have a battery to grab as long as the attacking pilot isn't already holding one

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    I saw the Ion's laser had a note "High Damage, Low Energy Efficiency"

Is energy a resource for Titans? I merger noticed it. Or is it just flavor text?

Anyways, I think my biggest complaint is that the game is so chaotic and the screen so cluttered it can be hard to keep track of everything and even harder to tell if you're doing good.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Also, if you're holding a battery when you enter your titan it will automatically get the extra shield. You don't have to like, climb onto your titan yourself of get a teammate to give you one.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    The smart pistol always had a low skill ceiling. Its performance against players was always bottom of the barrel by a wide margin. I'm pretty positive that I had far more melee kills against players than smart pistol kills.

The draw of the smart pistol was that its skill floor was in the basement. You could pretty much be afk and still murder bots. I found it relaxing since you could concentrating on shooting and focus on pulling off sweet park our while imagining that the floor is lava.

When you jump on an enemy titan you'll yank a battery out of them, this does a chunk of damage to them and you can take that battery and give it to your or a team mates titan which will give a shield. The shield you get from a battery is the only way titans can replenish some health. If you're holding a battery (doesn't matter from where) when you jump on an enemy titan then you'll throw a grenade in their chassis for damage instead. It's a very gameified mechanic, as a titan will always have a battery to grab as long as the attacking pilot isn't already holding one

OH my. This sounds like it is perfect for how I liked to summon the slow and heavy Titan to follow my pilot around as a distraction.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Yeah. I think the demo actually moved this to wait and see for me. They changed a lot of stuff I didn't think need changing.

Also. I really didn't like the map selection. They gave you two big wide open maps that you can't really chain moves too.

My favourite maps from the first one were the close quarters ones.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Is energy a resource for Titans? I merger noticed it. Or is it just flavor text?

Anyways, I think my biggest complaint is that the game is so chaotic and the screen so cluttered it can be hard to keep track of everything and even harder to tell if you're doing good.

Ion has an energy bar that's shared for its different abilities, you can see it left center on your hud (it took me forever to notice it). The aimed spread shot, trip wire, and laser beam will drain it down. Totally separate from battery stuff

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Having now tried this: Boy, they shat this up.

I got a titan twice in a bounty hunt match, so okay, that's... Fine I guess, but the AI may as well have not even been there. And the first team to get multiple titans basically can proceed to spawn camp you till the end of the match, so that's fun. Feels like "generic shooter #3208", except with robots.

Edit: Oh yeah, and they even fucked up Titan entry with that 3rd-person crap. Like, wtf man? That wasn't cutscene time!

dporowski on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    The smart pistol always had a low skill ceiling. Its performance against players was always bottom of the barrel by a wide margin. I'm pretty positive that I had far more melee kills against players than smart pistol kills.

The draw of the smart pistol was that its skill floor was in the basement. You could pretty much be afk and still murder bots. I found it relaxing since you could concentrating on shooting and focus on pulling off sweet park our while imagining that the floor is lava.

Right, which is why it baffles me that they took it out as a main weapon. People like me who used it weren't the top tier players. No one who was really good at the game used it. Taking it out doesn't somehow remove an overpowered weapon that was unfair. If that were the case, everyone would have used it, including the really skilled players. All they've done is remove a huge draw from the first game that made it more accessible to people like me.

After playing the beta a bit last night, I'm just not sure. I loved the first game. But unless this one just has an unbelievable single player campaign, I can't see myself jumping at it again. Especially with how quickly PC multiplayer died last time.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Also, if you give me a grappling hook, you are not allowed to put a cooldown on it. No. Bad. Bad monkey, no banana.

• Options

Ion has an energy bar that's shared for its different abilities, you can see it left center on your hud (it took me forever to notice it). The aimed spread shot, trip wire, and laser beam will drain it down. Totally separate from battery stuff

And this recharges on its own? I'll have to look again if I play tonight.
    Also, if you give me a grappling hook, you are not allowed to put a cooldown on it. No. Bad. Bad monkey, no banana.

With the faster cool-down perk I hardly notice it. Maybe that would help you?

Any one else kinda bumed that Titan's seem less customization? Your weapons and perks are now decided by your Titan choice, and I don't think I like that.

• Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Do wish you could tweak those a bit more, but I kinda get where they're coming from on that as well. I'd give up my thermal shield for a boost on Scorch without a second thought.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I dunno, I am having a pretty good time with the beta

I understand a lot of the complaints but a lot of that stuff isn't really a big deal to me. I never much bothered with creeps last game, and I never used the Smart Pistol much either. Everything I liked about the last one is still here, but now I have Spider-Man swinging and I'm a dope-ass robot.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I freaking love the LMG in this game. Messed about with the L-Star which is also fun to use, but the range on the base LMG is too good:
    https://youtu.be/IeiT_Ipv1CA

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I like the idea of having some boring all-titan perks(faster recharge, extra dash, get your titan faster), and some titan-specific exciting perks(Fire shield, crazy chest laser, three extra dashes, etc)

it's clear that's not the case here

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    If the trade off is less titan customization for significantly more varied titan chassis then I'm fine with th at.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I'm more concerned about maps and game modes. I'll have to wait and see with that.

• Options
    If the trade off is less titan customization for significantly more varied titan chassis then I'm fine with th at.

I guess I'd like the option to choose either your titans unique perks and gun, or from a general pool. So you can't have lasers eyes and scorch on the same Titan, but you could trade the Thermite launcher for a 40mm cannon.

Or maybe add an old school titan with lots of customization.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »

I'm kinda worried that in chasing the popular shooters, TF2 Will lose sight of what made it fun and unique.

If the Mass Effect trilogy has taught me one thing... it's that when the second game guts the major mechanics that define the game and turn it into a more generally appealing thing, the third one might just hit the correct balance.

Or it'll be DA:I.

Is the beta accessible during the week? Was too busy doing other game stuff to play it.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Nope, it's over for now

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    I really need to see what, if any, changes are made between this test and the next.

• Options
    The beta DID get me to reinstall Titanfall 1.

• Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular

I guess I'd like the option to choose either your titans unique perks and gun, or from a general pool. So you can't have lasers eyes and scorch on the same Titan, but you could trade the Thermite launcher for a 40mm cannon.

Or maybe add an old school titan with lots of customization.

I feel like the original Titans will still be in this and probably have the same loadout choices. It just seems like these new Titans will fill out those niche roles for specialization. Although Ion's weapon seems to fill the chaingun roll pretty closely.