As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] Shoot birds, mine asteroids

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Omg, I think they fixed bird scanning with the new patch!

I was trying to get a bird yesterday. Ended up just shooting it out of the sky and scanning its body before it disappeared. It worked!

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    The saga continues. I think I'm going to head into the cave system; I keep noticing my homing bolts falling shortly after being shot, so even though look down and see nothing I'm super suspicious.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah it's really easy to scan birds now. You don't have to have the cursor on them for 5 seconds like before. Now if you just look in their general direction it scans them.

• Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    As someone who has worked for Sony QA, they certainly do first party QA, but it's not going to be as good as a dedicated internal team. Also, a large part of Sony QA will be about the game meeting their certification requirements. Which is kind of a.... Bare minimum.

Yeah, less about the game being bug-free, and more about ensuring basic functionality (like 5 minutes of varied, casual gameplay) works without messing with the PS4? Assuming they're anything like that old "Certified for MS" program.

Still enjoying it myself, but by the time any DLC is released, I'll definitely be totally done.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Honestly, the idea of paying more for this game is something genuinely offensive to me. I really hope these free updates are substantial.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    @Kalnaur I have some more suspicions about the floating gray dots (I've run into several on my last two planets, trying to hunt down the last species on both).

It looks like the gray dots update on an interval, like a radar signal. Once they get close enough they turn red or green and "move" along with the animal.

It also looks like there are animals that move in schools or herds, and these usually show up as a single gray dot until you get close enough, and then they turn into individuals.

These things lead me to suspect that the gray dots are sort of... separate "entities" from the red and green ones, and the floating gray dots are something to do with them not switching properly or getting "disconnected" from the animals they're tracking.

However, it's also possible that some species get bugged and result in these dots, since it feels like I've spent way more time searching these two planets than the previous 9 that I've completed.

Or a number of other possible glitches. But I'm pretty sure it is a bug, not some kind of indication.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I wouldn't put to much stock in the gray. If you don't see a red, move on.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Oh geez. A lot of people must be asking for PSN refunds at this point.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215231280&postcount=1149
    My chat log...

Melissa: Hello, My name is Melissa how may I help you today?
    Me: No Man's Sky
    Melissa: Your refund has been completed. You can now check your PSN wallet and the funds will be there for you to purchase any other content in the PSN store.You will also receive an email confirmation for this. Here is your refund case number for future reference: XXXXXXX
    Me: Thank you!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    So, uh, I found the last one.

Holy shit that fucker was huge.
    x0eiwmuhc6ys.jpg
    v9k54aixoc1k.jpg
    kfn6sg86utba.jpg
    gxpc5dv8icqr.jpg
    192z7exy1l06.jpg
    rhoppwgausr0.jpg

I really need to figure out how to capture video now.

Edit: To be clear, I saw if from the mountainside it was on while I was on foot before its grey dot popped up. It was just, like, boom, here's a really huge alien creature.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I booted up NMS, resigned to the fact that my ship's stores were lost to buggy hell...

And what do you know, when I take off, my shit is floating in the air for me to pick up! :biggrin:

Onwards and upwards!

• Options

My chat log...

Melissa: Your refund has been completed. You can now check your PSN wallet and the funds will be there for you to purchase any other content in the PSN store.You will also receive an email confirmation for this. Here is your refund case number for future reference: XXXXXXX

I wish steam was like that.

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

My chat log...

Supposedly, they are. Lots of reports of people getting refunds despite being beyond the two week / two hour window.

• Options
    DrDinosaur wrote: »

My chat log...

Supposedly, they are. Lots of reports of people getting refunds despite being beyond the two week / two hour window.

I've given it a go by using the manual steam support ticket. I will let you know how it goes.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    DrDinosaur wrote: »

My chat log...

I've given it a go by using the manual steam support ticket. I will let you know how it goes.

Reports are that most major vendors are refunding now. PSN, GOG, Amazon and even steam. Playtime not a factor.

If you are are denied by steam via the automated system and open a ticket they a refunding it on performance / false advertising, people are saying.

giving it a try after refund denial based on pt Friday. this is truly the shitstorm that keeps on giving.

edit- people are now doing the math and 14 quintillion may be a lie as well. :D

http://www.inquisitr.com/3458500/no-mans-sky-steam-sony-and-amazon-begin-issuing-refunds-regardless-of-play-time/

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I am going to request one on Monday when Sony customer support is open. I would have requested one earlier if I had known it was possible. I am about halfway through the trophies but there are much better games I can get.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I'm torn on refunds. I need to think about it.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    Steam refund was rejected, 8 hours of play.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    I'm pretty miffed about the quality but I did enjoy it for like 4 days straight.

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Steam refund was rejected, 8 hours of play.

You'll get auto-rejected at first, you have to open up a support ticket.

• Options
    It makes me so sad to see so many folks want to refund the game, as even when it's frustrating sometimes I still love it. I know that it's not me, it's the game, and it was assumed to be something it's not, and Murray hedged and wheedled instead of just being honest, and now everyone's questioning everything behind the game (myself included on some features), but still, it does make me sad.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    It makes me so sad to see so many folks want to refund the game, as even when it's frustrating sometimes I still love it. I know that it's not me, it's the game, and it was assumed to be something it's not, and Murray hedged and wheedled instead of just being honest, and now everyone's questioning everything behind the game (myself included on some features), but still, it does make me sad.

Please stop this. There are multiple documented instances of features shown or discussed in earlier builds that did not make it to the final product, and all HG had to do was honestly tell people when they were cut/removed. While we all have to take responsibility for our own hype, I'm sick of seeing this narrative pushed that HG and Sony are blameless, and it was all in the consumer's heads.

If you enjoy the game, groovy. Good for you! I got a good 20+ hours out of it myself.

If you don't enjoy this game, also groovy. It's a feature-lite walking simulator with more in common with Proteus than Minecraft.

If you bought this game because of any number of features shown or said about it prior to release that were not included, you're not wrong to feel swindled, because we all were. It takes a few minutes to do an interview or put out a press release clearly explaining why features you've hyped up won't be appearing in the release product, and neither the publisher or the developer were ethical enough in this instance to do so. That is on them, not us.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I'm torn on refunds. I need to think about it.

I agree. It gets funny. People will abuse it.

For me-

If I bought a 4K tv- Loved it intently for its colors and contrast but 30 hours in found out it only had 2 hdmi ports vs 4 and a was only 2k res... I would be totally entitled to a refund as the tv isn't what it claims to be.

This isn't different than that. Had I known what I know now I would not hAve purchased. They sold the item to me as one thing and it's another.

I don't even know tho

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Houn wrote: »

Please stop this. There are multiple documented instances of features shown or discussed in earlier builds that did not make it to the final product, and all HG had to do was honestly tell people when they were cut/removed. While we all have to take responsibility for our own hype, I'm sick of seeing this narrative pushed that HG and Sony are blameless, and it was all in the consumer's heads.

If you enjoy the game, groovy. Good for you! I got a good 20+ hours out of it myself.

If you don't enjoy this game, also groovy. It's a feature-lite walking simulator with more in common with Proteus than Minecraft.

If you bought this game because of any number of features shown or said about it prior to release that were not included, you're not wrong to feel swindled, because we all were. It takes a few minutes to do an interview or put out a press release clearly explaining why features you've hyped up won't be appearing in the release product, and neither the publisher or the developer were ethical enough in this instance to do so. That is on them, not us.

And in my case, I was not following the game at all. I had heard about it, knew it was a game in space, then looked at the Steam store page and checked YouTube for a couple videos about a week prior to release. Then I pulled the trigger.

In my case, those YouTube trailers were of the developer talking, so I took them at face value. I didn't have time to build up incredible hype for some unrealistic game in my mind. I bought it based on what I discovered right before release, and lots that I discovered after release just disappointed me along the way.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm willing to bet the people willing to abuse a refund system are statistically irrelevant.

It falls under the "Don't be a dick" clause. There are surely dicks out there looking for a free lunch, but again, irrelevant. Most people will use their reasonable judgement and only refund if they think it's deserved.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Houn wrote: »

That's why the second part, right after the bolded part was there, about Murray not being honest? I wasn't saying "it's your own damn fault, and yours alone", I was saying, in short version:

The hype that people built, along with the hype that Sony and Hello Games allowed to happen with no direct answers or communication, has led to this path where there are things that are no longer in, or were changed, or made sufficiently weaker or more shallow (someone around this place had linked to a video where originally raw materials in your inventory were supposed to augment that thing, gun, ship, suit, and so it was a trade-off of that or an upgrade, and that's not there at all). This has led to the point where people question everything about the game, because there are no straight answers, and that makes me sad, because while the game is good, it has all this bad blood behind it, and that can't be ignored. It feels like the studio was small, the game was rushed to capitalize on a certain time, a certain sector of game publishing real estate, and even I will admit the game feels unfinished; I have enough experience now playing ARK to see a game in development, and it does feel like that's what this game is, roots for branches later. People have every right to be pissed at the game, and that also makes me sad, because again this has such potential, so much fun (at least for me), and I don't think it was fair or right to build people's expectations up without then letting them down. I suspect that was more Sony's hand than Hello Games, and that this is what happens when a big publisher gets its hands into a small indie studio, but even if Murray's actions are the result of corporate meddling, it's of course still not excused.

I'm sad because a game I enjoy and knew I would give at least 100 hours has hurt itself, it's brand, the gaming public, all over perfectly fixable things. A little communication would have gone a long way.

That's why I'm sad. Not because the game is so much better or worse than people have made it out to be, but because the game is what it is, and the hype wouldn't let it be that, and the developer didn't trust their art to be enough to sell that. And as an artist that last one's the worst for me, personally: either Hello Games didn't trust their art enough to stand on its own, or Sony didn't trust them enough to allow them to say what it really was, what features had been cut, etc (I still suspect that Sony knew the preorder numbers would tank if people knew a game this large in potential size wasn't multiplayer, and forced him to hide it or eat costs, but that's my own personal conspiracy theory on that).

I was trying to make it short and sweet, and you took it to mean I blamed the customer, and I can see how you would have taken it that way, and I'm sorry. There wasn't the intent to invalidate people's being fooled by the snake oil.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    If you've put in over 20hrs into the game and then request a refund, is that not a dick move? Surely you got your 60 dollars worth out of it? Whether you enjoyed that 20hrs is irrelevant, hell Duke Nukem Forever was arguably much worse but people aren't given refunds for that. I don't think i agree with this mentality that the game wasn't good so I deserve a refund.

Sure, features shown in early trailers are missing but then Watch Dogs was a horrible mess too, looking nothing like the previews. I'm not defending the game, far from it, i just think this "we deserve our money back!" mass refund demand is real ott. Especially if you've put in more time into it than a lot of other games in your libraries.

Edit ; probably a question suitable for its own thread, really :)

Big Classy on
  • Options
    I think it depends on if those 20 hours were all gameplay and not struggling against a game that seems to actively want to keep you from playing it. Some of those 20 hour people probably replayed multiple hours of time lost to sudden crashes.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    What if those 20 hours were slogged through because you kept hearing it gets better. Later planets have the environments/creatures you were shown in trailers. Etc.

20 hours is a lot, but 12? 10? 8? I think it takes quite a while for this game before you start to see just how shallow/misleading everything is/was. Two hours is not long at all in NMS. Shit, half that is waiting for your cursor to fill up!

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I think people can value their own money and determine if the product was good.

For instance, I want a 'whole' experience. I was told there was exploration and a goal which offered a reward. Half of that did not happen. If I 'go' through 30 hours because I want the experience of that second half and it's literally not even there I think I might be up for a refund.

No one answer will be good enough for everybody so to some it might be a dick-move, to others it might be sending a message, to some they may literally have a limited budget and don't want to lose their game-time to a 'blind sale.'

On that subject I have always advocated for more consumer protection for entertainment products. The luxury of gaming is costly and I don't think it's totally fair to shove the entire weight of that on the consumer. *Edit*: But as Classy said, probably best for a different thread.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    It just feels like a repeat of Arkham Knight wherein people who had finished the game are getting refunds. I'm sure plenty of folks have had genuine issues with the game but there's no denying there'll be individuals who are abusing it.

• Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    If you've put in over 20hrs into the game and then request a refund, is that not a dick move? Surely you got your 60 dollars worth out of it? Whether you enjoyed that 20hrs is irrelevant, hell Duke Nukem Forever was arguably much worse but people aren't given refunds for that. I don't think i agree with this mentality that the game wasn't good so I deserve a refund.

Sure, features shown in early trailers are missing but then Watch Dogs was a horrible mess too, looking nothing like the previews. I'm not defending the game, far from it, i just think this "we deserve our money back!" mass refund demand is real ott. Especially if you've put in more time into it than a lot of other games in your libraries.

Edit ; probably a question suitable for its own thread, really :)

From what I've read, it isn't just that some of the features in early trailers are missing from the game, but that those trailers are still used to advertise the game on steam. 20 Hours does seem like a long time to play before returning, but this game is advertised as having a massive amount of variety so you would expect it to take an equivalent percentage of game time to discover what is actually missing. I don't think comparing it to Duke Nukem Forever is an equal comparison, because 20 hours in a shooter is a more complete experience than 20 hours in a game that is advertised as taking thousands of years to explore the entire galaxy.

• Options
    Well and then the question can go beyond whether it's ethical for the consumer to do so, and get to whether it's a good thing that they have this avenue for expressing their disappointment directly to the developers/publishers, who learn NO lessons unless it affects their bottom line.

It's not an epidemic, people aren't yet refunding fantastic games they loved all the way through just to steal money.

Do a better job next time, and you won't see these refunds.

• Options
    But then why aren't people allowed to express their disappoint with games that aren't mainstream letdowns? I think that's why I take such issues with it, me trying to refund Fallout 4 would never fly after 20hrs of play. I just don't like exceptions, i guess.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    But then why aren't people allowed to express their disappoint with games that aren't mainstream letdowns? I think that's why I take such issues with it, me trying to refund Fallout 4 would never fly after 20hrs of play. I just don't like exceptions, i guess.

That's the point though. If you felt the same level of disappointment and disgust after your 20 hours of Fallout as people do with NMS, you should absolutely be allowed to get your refund.

Clearly the reason refund "rules" are being broken is because so many people are asking for them. Which yeah, it isn't fair to play exceptions to the mainstream letdowns. But it's important that these rules be broken in places, and hopefully sets a standard that can be applied to everything.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular

It's probably dependent on whether complaints and refund requests reach a breaking point; a point where it costs less money to just issue the refunds no questions asked, than to devote more customer support resources to it. Things just don't get to that point very often.

• Options
    Yeah it's definitely more an issue of the policy needing to change than the game itself, imo.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Alas, my heart was quickly tempted by another ship! A red ship! She was a real fixer-upper, but we made it:
    l2ltpi36hsv9.jpg

Maybe I shouldn't have been so hasty:
    g7aov45plcm3.jpg

This moon was very peaceful. No animals, minimal plant life, and mild weather. Could see myself setting up a base here:
    0rex9c264ihl.jpg

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    I certainly won't request a refund. I put 50 hours into the game but don't really feel like playing much more. I don't feel cheated and I am happy with the experience I got. The one thing I feel though is that it wasn't a £40 game. I would probably have enjoyed it more had I not been expecting something more.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm willing to bet the people willing to abuse a refund system are statistically irrelevant.

It falls under the "Don't be a dick" clause. There are surely dicks out there looking for a free lunch, but again, irrelevant. Most people will use their reasonable judgement and only refund if they think it's deserved.

You have a lot more faith in people than I do.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    So, my original 6 planets (well, 5 planets and a moon):
    Winter Wonderland [ Emiril, Nickel, Chrysonite ] Cold
    I woke up on a planet with freezing weather, and red soil covered by snow and green trees. The name seemed to write itself. There were even giant moose hybrid creatures.
    hafvucpivoyu.jpg
    clpw7gegzznp.jpg
    sqtm9gyfu4ei.jpg

This is still my favorite planet thus far. Things felt a bit challenging without feeling horrible, the elements it started with were solid in giving me a jump-start, and none of the critters were totally super rare.

The Lonely Badlands [ Iridium, Titanium, Aluminum ] Cold at night
    A desert planet with plenty of plants and water, but no creatures. Kind of boring, but also really pretty. Had like, 3 or 4 trading docks on it.
    1kxcsp5tjxvd.jpg

The Deep Green Sea [ Copper, Aluminum ] Cold
    This was a boring world; few creatures, no plants to speak of, water everywhere, and to top it all off, only two good elements.
    knhhopycj6vp.jpg

The Frozen Wastes [ Emiril, Iridium, Aluminum ] Cold
    Large, flat, desolate expanses and huge, windy hills paired with freezing water gave this place its name. Sometimes the water creatures would spawn on land, near but not quite in water, and though funny, it helped to make me dislike this planet. Well, that, and the time I spent 2 days looking for the last creature on my list. Though that turned out to be an awesome, bronto-sized monster, bigger than anything else I've seen.ytgw3kgum6ew.jpg

The Wild West [ Emiril, Aluminum, Copper, Titanium ] Cold at night
    This was my second favorite planet. It had wildlife, plants, an abundance of elements, and generally mild weather.The wild west was where I wanted to be.
    w94dsxl9h0hs.jpg

Chernobyl Prime [ Emiril, Aluminum, Nickel ] Highly Radioactive
    My third favorite planet (actually Wild West's moon), and also the most alien feeling one. Poison jets streaming, huge craters, purple and green mixed in some wild, psychedelic way, and eels flying in the sky.
    rkqlwtk2zxmg.jpg

I have now left my original system, on to another star. Jumped to a red (K) class, to see what differences if any that more "advanced" drives and stars give. Will report back.